PDA

View Full Version : 50% of iPhones Brought to Genius Bar Have Never Been Synced

MacRumors
Jun 13, 2011, 03:34 PM
http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/13/50-of-iphones-brought-to-genius-bar-have-never-been-synced/)

Fifty percent of iPhone owners who have iPhones swapped at the Genius Bar have never plugged them into a computer (http://onefps.net/post/6496478249/50-percent-of-iphone-owners-dont-backup) to backup or sync. That's according to a "little birdie" that former Macworld Associate Editor David Chartier knows. It's also suggests iCloud will save a lot of headaches and lost data.

http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/06/icloudbackup-500x333.jpg

This is a big reason, according to this birdie, for why Apple Store Geniuses are excited about iCloud.

Backupophobes can get away with never touching iTunes after activating an iOS device. But folks obviously need to plug them into some kind of power source to recharge which, combined with a reachable WiFi network, is what triggers iCloud's automatic backup feature. Sure, these customers can manually reinstall apps one by one from the store, but they have no way to recover any of their data or media purchased on the device. That holds true for contacts, too, if users didn't sign up for MobileMe or even Google's free (and, in my experience, terrible) contact sync.Apple's iCloud, with automated wi-fi sync and instant backup to the cloud will be a welcome feature for those millions who never sync or backup their current iOS devices.

Article Link: 50% of iPhones Brought to Genius Bar Have Never Been Synced (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/13/50-of-iphones-brought-to-genius-bar-have-never-been-synced/)

ECUpirate44
Jun 13, 2011, 03:36 PM
This is so true. I know plenty of people who just buy all of their apps on the device and never backup.

goatless
Jun 13, 2011, 03:36 PM
No wonder they're at the Genius Bar.

GeekLawyer
Jun 13, 2011, 03:37 PM
Wow, I can't even conceive of that. Never backing up? So, also, never updating the OS?

Mr. Gates
Jun 13, 2011, 03:39 PM
The dumbing of society starts by making things "Simpler"

These are the clueless folks having computer problems and blaming it on everything but themselves...

mrfoof82
This is so true. I know plenty of people who just buy all of their apps on the device and never backup.

Same. I've had a few people replace their phone with a newer model and then call me to ask how they move their data over.

iCloud solves a real problem. People don't want to do anything. They want it to "just work".

wordoflife
Not that surprised. My friend's iPhone 3G is still running on 2.x I believe. *edit* he does still sync it ... but 2.x ?!?!?

Richdmoore
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

More useful for me is syncing while I am on the road, hopefully icloud allows that as well as my home network.

deannnnn
Jun 13, 2011, 03:40 PM
That holds true for contacts, too, if users didn't sign up for MobileMe or even Google's free (and, in my experience, terrible) contact sync.

I use Google's contact sync and it works great.

Kapangas
Jun 13, 2011, 03:40 PM
Wow, I can't even conceive of that. Never backing up? So, also, never updating the OS?

Yep. I've known a few people who never connected their iPhones/iPod Touches to their computers, beyond the initial activation and music sync.

dccorona
Jun 13, 2011, 03:41 PM
wouldn't this figure include all the phones brought in for exchange that were freshly restored? Those phones wouldn't contain any backup or sync data either...

arn
I find I've been syncing my iPhone less and less. Before I would very regularly. now, I'll go weeks without.

arn

room237
I know people like this. In fact, most of the people *I* know have never synced. It baffles me.

thespazz
Yep. I've known a few people who never connected their iPhones/iPod Touches to their computers, beyond the initial activation and music sync.

Mind boggling. I really like having a nice backed up phone.

dmbfrontier
Jun 13, 2011, 03:42 PM
Makes sense to me. I personally hate backup. It not only takes forever, but it really doesn't help much when i can simply just re-sync. I know you lose some preferences, but nothing that cant be reset.

tbobmccoy
Not that surprised. My friend's iPhone 3G is still running on 2.x I believe. *edit* he does still sync it ... but 2.x ?!?!?

In his defense, I bet it runs a lot faster than a 3G on 4.x ;)

VSMacOne
Just the other day I was talking to an iPhone 3G user and was shocked to see that their phone was still in iPhone OS 3.0.1 ... But I guess people who don't keep up with technology and don't usually sync with iTunes, would have no clue that there are new OS updates. They never had to worry ab that before the iPhone! :D

rorschach
I can definitely believe it from personal experience with customers like this. I think many people here would be surprised how many "basic" features of the iPhone are totally unknown to TONS of people.

Obi-Wan Kubrick
I'm sorry but those 50% are idiots and don't deserve a smart phone. They are probably the same people that type the word "google" into the google search area of a web browser.

Mr. Gates
Jun 13, 2011, 03:43 PM
Somewhere out there is a dude with an original iPhone on the original OS walking around oblivious to the changes other than the hardware.

"Yeah your 4 looks nicer ....but this is the same"

no

Its not, update your OS

"Whats an OS"

its scary

deannnnn
I find I've been syncing my iPhone less and less. Before I would very regularly. now, I'll go weeks without.

arn

I'm the same way. I only sync when I want new music from iTunes on my phone. No other reason.

mactastic
Yep, I see the move to cloud syncing / backup / wireless updating saving the Geniuses a lot of headaches over time spent "fixing" problems that could be solved by updating and/or restoring from a backup.

What I'd really like to see is iOS be able to back up locally to my AEBS the same way my mac does via Time Machine. Or better yet, use the Time Machine as a cache, the middleman who holds the backup while it's uploaded to the Cloud (and vice versa when it's update time the Time Machine holds the updates). That would allow the end user to experience backups / updates at 802.11n speeds instead of whatever pathetic internet connection they have.

Edit: Arn, I'm the same way. Used to sync damn near daily, but often only weekly / every other week now. In large part I find this is due to my collection, over time, of more and more apps that sync themselves wirelessly. There's just not the need that there used to be, and once iOS 5 gets here I won't be surprised if I don't physically sync again.

HelveticaNeue
Jun 13, 2011, 03:44 PM
Doesn't surprise me in the least. I know several people with iPhones and iPads who have never even heard of a software update and have no clue what syncing is.

I think they are the same people who boot up their computers and have to sit through 15 pop ups in the task bar from available Windows/Java/Flash/Anti-virus/etc updates available.

Finally these people will be backed-up without even knowing.

GLS
Jun 13, 2011, 03:46 PM
No surprise to me at all.

My sister, BIL, and a handful of friends have (or had) never sync'ed theirs to a computer either. They all call when then have some random iPhone issue...and when I ask the question, I get the "uh, I never have" or "I am supposed to do that?"

I'd like to think I've broken my BIL...he does it once a day now....my sister, on the other hand....

VSMacOne
Jun 13, 2011, 03:46 PM
So since iMessage keep track of conversations across devices, does that mean that Text Messages will also be backed up into the cloud? That would be fantastic!

McGiord
Jun 13, 2011, 03:47 PM
I only connect it to the Mac to transfer videos on it, to save the photos and transfer purchases, everything else is done wirelessly via MobileMe or other apps. And only when to update the firmware, that is not so often.

OMGbrandon
Jun 13, 2011, 03:47 PM
Jailbroken iPhones affect that too. I always go in with a unsynced unjailbroken iPhone.

JoJack82
Jun 13, 2011, 03:49 PM

My wife has never plugged her iPhone into the computer. It only gets synced when I upgrade her OS while she isn't looking.

AtariMac
Jun 13, 2011, 03:50 PM
Will iCloud really solve this? If users don't sign up for an iCloud account then this solves nothing. Will you be forced to have an iCloud account in order to use the phone?

People that aren't manually syncing the iPhone now are not likely to sign up for iCloud if they are not somehow forced to do so.

I personally know two people that have iPhone 4's and have never synced. I cannot image that magically with iCloud that they will do that.

Kentochan
Jun 13, 2011, 03:55 PM
Until iCloud is up and running, iTunes is the #1 source for backing up, syncing, updating etc. I'm surprised at how many people can go without ever syncing...

*LTD*
Jun 13, 2011, 03:56 PM

These are the clueless folks having computer problems and blaming it on everything but themselves...

I know plenty of lawyers, for example, some of them top litigators (i.e., in Toronto) that aren't very bright when it comes to tech. When it comes to figuring out public policy and legislation, however, they're stars. But work in that industry and witness it for yourself.

Same thing in academia. Same thing in several other professions, especially among more senior members.

Understanding tech is no signifier or marker of intellect. Tech is a tool, that's either comfortable to use to get actual work done, or it isn't. And a lot if it isn't.

It's often a case of smart people using bad tools. There's going to be friction.

This is where Apple comes in. And consumers have responded - from what appears to be all walks of life, especially a lot of smart people that have traditionally shied away from tech or felt intimidated by it. There is simply a lot of bull.sh.it when it comes to tech - a lot of stuff that gets in the way. It can be a huge PITA. Whoever can simplify it while allowing us to get most of the same things done will be a star. Apple is one of these stars. The industry has taken notice and is going through growing pains to shift toward Apple's model - some with more success than others.

Remove complexity, enhance what's left over. Working from that model, we end up with blessings, not headaches.

eastercat
Jun 13, 2011, 03:56 PM
My parents are technically illiterate, so I can imagine that they've never sync'ed their 3GSs. OTOH, I back up every few days or when I've changed something on my phone. My JB is why I'm not on the cutting edge.

iMikeT
Jun 13, 2011, 03:57 PM
The saying "90% of the problems a user may encounter happens between the chair and the keyboard (touch screen in this case)" rings true just based on the headline alone.

I've come across way too many people who have an iPhone and constantly complain about it having an issue here or there but don't realize that the problems require user intervention. Most of the time, a simple restart of the iPhone fixes all their issues; the only thing is that many of these people have never restarted their phone since they walked out of the store with it. Go figure. :rolleyes:

KiraDouji
Jun 13, 2011, 04:02 PM
"Ma'am, I'm pretty sure the wall isn't backing up your iPhone."

- :apple:

ThisIsNotMe
Jun 13, 2011, 04:03 PM
Pointless unless Apple put an iTunes background service into OS X Lion.

BJMRamage
Jun 13, 2011, 04:03 PM
My wife syncs her phone every few months.
I try to every so often but even adding a CD of songs takes so long, half teh time i wait since it'll take 10 minutes whether I back up a lot or add three songs.

I know a person who said a co-worker has not plugged their phone into a computer since the day he got it (NEW) and that is a 3G or 3GS.

sloppygator2013
Jun 13, 2011, 04:04 PM
this is probably the same percentage of people who use their iPhones for only texting and phone calls.

HarryKeogh
Jun 13, 2011, 04:05 PM
For those people, Apple should have a separate area. Call it the "Genius (Yes, we're being sarcastic) Bar".

nagromme
Jun 13, 2011, 04:05 PM
Thatís really scary!

Itís also scary that you canít restore just ONE appís data from backup. Itís all or nothing. Iím sure that will changeóit has to. Maybe with iOS 5 or soon after? Please?

736dave
Jun 13, 2011, 04:06 PM
I'm sorry but those 50% are idiots and don't deserve a smart phone. They are probably the same people that type the word "google" into the google search area of a web browser.

Funny thing is I just did that today. Yep, there I was a second later looking at 'google.com' with "google.com" as search text. Felt weird. :-)

*LTD*
Jun 13, 2011, 04:07 PM
"Ma'am, I'm pretty sure the wall isn't backing up your iPhone."

- :apple:

Best post. :D

smithrh
Jun 13, 2011, 04:07 PM
I rarely sync most of my devices - there's simply not a big need to do so, for me personally anyways.

My media is already stored on a server, and I load up my devices with what they need once and I'm done.

Generally the only time I sync is for a new SW load.

djrobsd
Jun 13, 2011, 04:09 PM
That's just amazing. People trust their whole life to their phone... Store their calendar, contacts, and all their precious vacation photos IN the phone, but never sync it to a computer to back it up? WOW.

Xtremehkr
Jun 13, 2011, 04:12 PM
I don't think that most iPhone users understand that they're carrying around a small computer that requires the same attention as any other computer.

hexonxonx

They are probably used to dumb phones that never got updates and you never plugged them into a computer.

ratzzo
I am exactly the other way around.. if I want new stuff on my iPhone I browse iTunes on my MBP first and then add it on there. This way I know it'll be both in my MBP and iPhone.. it can get awkward the other way around after being used to do it this way since day one.

NightFox
Jun 13, 2011, 04:13 PM
This is a great reality check for a lot of posters on these forums who think Mac Rumors members are a good representation of the wider iPhone owning community. We're not, we're a geeky minority. The majority of iPhone owners neither know nor care what iOS, WWDC or iCloud are.

dba7dba
Jun 13, 2011, 04:15 PM
Not syncing/backing up iPhone? That's nothing. Virtually all mac users who are non techies that I know never update their Mac. You know the Software Update of the OS...

Bluefusion
Jun 13, 2011, 04:18 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

This is absolutely true. I'm actually surprised it isn't more than that. In my time at Bar, I found that around 80% were synced only initially, or (at best) twice due to having to install an update. Not to generalize, but overwhelmingly women and teenage girls failed to sync: college students, male and female, did so far more often, and businesspeople tended to sync about once every two weeks.

It is AMAZING how much can be resolved by syncing, particularly if you never do it!

coolfactor
Jun 13, 2011, 04:19 PM
Same here. I plug into charge, but only since once a week or less.

I have clients that don't see why it's important to plug in once in a while to sync and update. They see them as phones and not computers.

iCloud is going to be a HUGE benefit to the iPhone-using community across the board.

smithrh
Jun 13, 2011, 04:21 PM
That's just amazing. People trust their whole life to their phone... Store their calendar, contacts, and all their precious vacation photos IN the phone, but never sync it to a computer to back it up? WOW.

* Calendar is elsewhere, iPhone just displays it

* Contacts are elsewhere as well, iPhone just displays them

* Email is elsewhere

* Precious vacation pictures are most certainly not ever on the phone

Gregintosh

I'm a pretty smart guy and tech savvy (even worked as a computer tech for many years) but I still like to keep my technology simple.

That's mainly because I use technology as a tool. I want to get business done, research done, or I want to be entertained. I don't want to have to spend time "working" on getting everything backed up and running. Those days are behind me when I'd put in some solid hours every week just tweaking, backing up, and maintaining my PC equipment. Now I have real responsibilities to tend to, so I just need things to work without me thinking about it.

While some people will be saved by now having this automatically done, where as they didn't before, this simplification helps the savvy people took. For example, once I get iCloud and iTunes Match I will never again have to backup my music library, e-mails, etc.

If only they enable iPhoto and create some sort of iDisk equivalent (more like a DropBox equivalent) for random documents, I will probably never manually backup again.

coolfactor
Not syncing/backing up iPhone? That's nothing. Virtually all mac users who are non techies that I know never update their Mac. You know the Software Update of the OS...

Yah my colleagues that have converted to Mac just dismiss the Software Update notifications, or minimize them to the Dock. Old habits from Windows.

randy98mtu
Jun 13, 2011, 04:22 PM
The ironic thing is all those people still won't get backed up to the cloud because they won't even know iOS 5 exists (if they know what iOS is...)

BaconTime
Jun 13, 2011, 04:23 PM
I never use the stupid sync because I don't like the way iTunes tries to store all of my music. For instance it mixes the DRMed stuff in with the unrestricted music so it's hard to tell what I can share with people, and also it has a weird filename/folder system that's incompatible with the 20 GB of music I had before switching to itunes. I do regularly copy purchases over manually, and backup the whole library on another computer, but I never use the sync.

This is one of my longstanding gripes with apple, and it's the same reason i don't use iphoto: it's too inflexible and would wreck my library that needs to work on multiple different computers.

bohbot16
Jun 13, 2011, 04:24 PM
Will iCloud really solve this? If users don't sign up for an iCloud account then this solves nothing. Will you be forced to have an iCloud account in order to use the phone?

iOS 5 asks you to set up your free iCloud account before you are presented with the home screen for the first time.

smithrh
Jun 13, 2011, 04:25 PM
Yah my colleagues that have converted to Mac just dismiss the Software Update notifications, or minimize them to the Dock. Old habits from Windows.

It occurs to me that with Lion's features, Apple would be able to download fixes automatically, and then apply those fixes with a reboot and the user would probably never know it - as long as the reboot happened when they were away from the screen.

I wouldn't be trusting enough for this, but I know plenty of people that would.

nutmac
Jun 13, 2011, 04:26 PM
So since iMessage keep track of conversations across devices, does that mean that Text Messages will also be backed up into the cloud? That would be fantastic!

From iCloud - Store and back up your content in iCloud (http://www.apple.com/icloud/features/apps-books-backup.html):

iCloud backs up your:

Purchased music, apps, and books
Photos and video in the Camera Roll
Device settings
App data
Home screen and app organization
Text and MMS messages
Ringtones

Regarding backup, I backup at least once a week, but it's definitely not pleasant. You not only have to use iTunes, which is one of Apple's worst apps, the process takes very long time and renders your device unusable during the sync.

Jodles
Jun 13, 2011, 04:27 PM
I can understand the "non-syncers" quite well. Most of the people that isn't glued to the tech blogs when Apple is talking about their latest OS, couldn't really care less. It's just a tool, and if it works for what they want it to do, right now, then why update it? Same with OS X.

har42
Jun 13, 2011, 04:29 PM
if only it would back up Cydia information too then we would be on to a winner.

mrtune
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I know lots of people who never sync their iPhones. Doesn't surprise me one bit.

Heck, my wife's iPhone only gets synced when I do it for her. She doesn't do it on her own.

Consultant
Somewhere out there is a dude with an original iPhone on the original OS walking around oblivious to the changes other than the hardware.

I know someone who I unlocked an original iPhone on 1.1.4. The guy still has it. He says it works great.

But I believe he syncs though.

Paulyboy
Jun 13, 2011, 04:30 PM
This is a prime example why the iPad will most likely continue to win the tablet war. It's just so simple to use compared to the competition. The competition just doesn't seem to understand that the kind of techies out there that would want the kind of complexity that Android, for example, offers are in the extreme minority. Heck, as others have already pointed out there are lots of things that even the iPhone and the iPad can do that most people that use them don't even know about, syncing and updating included.

Most people I know turn their computers on, open up their browsers, and that's almost entirely the extent of what they use their computers for. Maybe Facebook, Twitter, e-mail, YouTube, and web browsing. They don't even know, for example, that there is a nice little address book app on every Macintosh. Or there are really cool applications sitting in their application folder (if they even know where that is) like a Garageband and iMovie. Heck I've known several people that type in a website address every time they want to go to that site! They don't even know what bookmarking is.

I could go on and on about this but obviously I'm not surprised by these findings at all.

-PN

Consultant
Jun 13, 2011, 04:32 PM

Yes, but not through iMessage. Nightly backup would do it.

louis Fashion
I know people like this. In fact, most of the people *I* know have never synced. It baffles me.

I think it is funny. I mean, come on, did you have to "sync" your rotary dial phone? AND it worked just as well, right, no dropped calls in 1958, right!!

GimmeSlack12
People probably just don't know that it backs up when you sync. Heck, the reason I plug my iPhone in is to sync, sure a backup is nice but its not anywhere near the reason I do it.

Reasons I plug iPhone into computer:
1. Sync music and playlists
2. Sync Photos/upload pics taken
3. Charge!
4. Umm.... backup I guess

Don't get me wrong, I understand and highly recommend (demand more like) that you back up, but I just don't think about it that much.

manu chao
Jun 13, 2011, 04:33 PM
Meaning they don't buy any new music (beyond the iTMS).

I take it you do not listen to any daily or weekly podcasts (or so few that updating them on the iPhone is bearable).

I find updating apps and podcasts (and deleting them) on my iPhone 4 just unbearably slow and clumsy (even on 802.11n WiFi). And updating 30 podcasts on daily or weekly basis is just a plain hassle on an iOS device.

People that aren't manually syncing the iPhone now are not likely to sign up for iCloud if they are not somehow forced to do so.

When you buy a new iPhone you will either have to sync it to iTunes OR sign up to iCloud. If people just want to start using their phone, they might be more inclined to signing up for iCloud instead of plugging it into iTunes.

smithrh
Jun 13, 2011, 04:36 PM
Meaning they don't buy any new music (beyond the iTMS).

Or, the initial sync was chock full with thousands of songs.

manu chao
Jun 13, 2011, 04:37 PM
Deleted.

Dr Kevorkian94
Jun 13, 2011, 04:39 PM
Not surprising to me this is y people should be educated before they buy somthing.

akm3

I agree completely. to keep society smart, things should be designed to be as complicated as possible! Example: If someone can't completely disassemble and reassemble their car, they probably shouldn't be driving.

(!)

manu chao
I personally hate backup. It not only takes forever,
Is five seconds forever? That is backup part of the syncing, the total synching time is more like 40+ seconds, depending on how much there is to copy.

Just the other day I was talking to an iPhone 3G user and was shocked to see that their phone was still in iPhone OS 3.0.1 ... But I guess people who don't keep up with technology and don't usually sync with iTunes, would have no clue that there are new OS updates. They never had to worry ab that before the iPhone! :D
And have no clue about the concept of security updates apparently.

Arn, I'm the same way. Used to sync damn near daily, but often only weekly / every other week now.

I sync my iPad maybe just once per week (to get movies or audio books over to it and to get rid of that red app-update badge). But that is only because I do not listen to daily podcasts on it.

mattwolfmatt
Jun 13, 2011, 04:40 PM
Even as what I'd call a "power user" with hundreds of movies, thousands of songs, and hundreds of apps, the only time I sync with itunes is when I need the OS updated. I think the fact that there are so many charging stations around my life - office, kitchen, living room, bedroom, car - make it unnecessary.

It's even worse with the ipad. I'll go a couple weeks between charges on that one, and months between syncs. Last time I missed two whole updates to the OS. Oops.

manu chao
Jun 13, 2011, 04:40 PM
Consecutive posting.

WiiDSmoker
Jun 13, 2011, 04:41 PM
I sync everyday to add new podcast from iTunes....but I would agree that 50% is actually too low. Most people simply do not sync. And why should they? No phone before this has ever had to do it.

kdarling
Jun 13, 2011, 04:45 PM
I can understand the "non-syncers" quite well. Most of the people that isn't glued to the tech blogs when Apple is talking about their latest OS, couldn't really care less.

It's just a tool, and if it works for what they want it to do, right now, then why update it? Same with OS X.

Exactly. Ditto with software updates on Android.

Many/most of the world's users could care less about updates, which is why it's not the major buyer's issue that people in tech forums tend to think.

People are interested in what the device does for them right now.

Edit: UNLESS the update comes automatically OTA, as it does for WebOS, Android, and soon, iOS. Getting a note that an update is ready to install, is very easy for people to handle. This is why Android updates, when they come, have a far quicker uptake than iOS updates, which people are slower to discover and install.

SteveLV702
Jun 13, 2011, 04:45 PM
don't think 5GB is enough space especially if you have Backups to iCloud enabled... as I turned on on my iPhone & iPad and within minutes already over my 5GB quota... cause each backup is over 3GB's....

ratzzo
Jun 13, 2011, 04:49 PM
don't think 5GB is enough space especially if you have Backups to iCloud enabled... as I turned on on my iPhone & iPad and within minutes already over my 5GB quota... cause each backup is over 3GB's....

I think this is actually Apple's plan/trick. At first, they send out a message to the world saying iCloud is free, and you get 5GB.

Later, we find out that you can actually purchase more space.. once people already made the transition ;)

yetanotherdave
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/534.32 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

I'm another daily podcast listener. This is the #1 reason I sync my iPhone. I would probably do it weekly otherwise, or just whenever I remember (and I work in IT, specifically backups and data retention!). If icloud/wifi syncing also updates my podcasts that'd be nice. Shouldn't even need the computer on for that.

theFATangel

I second that emotion! Perhaps a bit complex for some to set up initially (using Exchange (http://www.google.com/support/mobile/bin/answer.py?answer=138740&topic=14252)), but I swear by it now. If I lose my phone I still have all my contacts backed up through the last time my phone was able to connect to Google's servers. All syncing is now automatic and done silently in the background instantly upon entering new information.

Disclaimer: If you choose to go this route you MUST back up your existing contacts prior to setting Google Contacts sync through Exchange. PLEASE NOTE: Your existing contacts on your phone will not be synced with Google contacts automatically. Only new ones added into the phone will be automagically added to Google contacts.

The easiest way to export the existing contacts off your iPhone into Google Contacts is by syncing first with the Address Book app on your PC using iTunes, export these to a single VCF of all those contacts from Address Book, then log into and import this VCF file into your Google Contacts account. Also, after following the instructions linked above, in Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars under Contacts, set default account to Exchange so all future contacts input are immediately synced to Google Contacts via Exchange and not just stored locally on your phone without redundancy. YMMV.

vincenz
Jun 13, 2011, 04:50 PM

arn

I go for months now myself. With the wireless syncing in iOS 5, hopefully thatll change things.

cameronjpu
Jun 13, 2011, 04:53 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

You have to realize, 50% of iPhone users don't know what the term OS means. Not kidding. These people (normal people) are my clients.

cameronjpu
Jun 13, 2011, 04:54 PM

That holds true for contacts, too, if users didn't sign up for MobileMe or even Google's free (and, in my experience, terrible) contact sync.

I think the OP is prejudiced against it. I've seen several really terrible outcomes with MobileMe syncing. I have installed google exchange sync for about 30-40 people and have never had an issue.

manu chao
Jun 13, 2011, 04:56 PM
For instance it mixes the DRMed stuff in with the unrestricted music so it's hard to tell what I can share with people, and also it has a weird filename/folder system that's incompatible with the 20 GB of music I had before switching to itunes.

What DRMed stuff?:D If you keep your music in a separate folder and only have switched to iTunes some time ago you are unlikely to have bought much if any music with DRM in it.

And what is so hard about letting iTunes import all your music in place? Do it once, let it run, and then forget about it.

I can understand the "non-syncers" quite well. Most of the people that isn't glued to the tech blogs when Apple is talking about their latest OS, couldn't really care less. It's just a tool, and if it works for what they want it to do, right now, then why update it? Same with OS X.
And those people never have heard about security breaches and security updates? Or do they just don't realise that somebody could hack into a phone?

cameronjpu
Jun 13, 2011, 04:57 PM

You just called your parents and your siblings, and probably at least half of your kids, idiots.

Nerds are so incapable of understanding normal people.

d21mike
iOS 5 asks you to set up your free iCloud account before you are presented with the home screen for the first time.
But it is only a request. You can skip it. Like the person you responded to said, if they do not setup an iCloud Account then of course you have the same problem. The people that would skip this are the same people that do not backup now. Also, there are a lot of people that are afraid to store anything personal in the cloud. Maybe when they are sold the iPhone there will be some education on the importance to setup an iCloud Account.

saxon48
The stupidity of the human race is at times quite frightening.

DennisN
Jun 13, 2011, 04:58 PM
Mine (iPhone 3GS) gets synced every day, simply because I connect and disconnect from my Mac to charge it up (in use all day it can run down quickly).

Question - if iCloud can let you access your documents from anywhere and any of your devices, will it be necessary to install programs on all devices? I'm thinking Excel - I have my documents on my desktop iMac and it would be real nice to be able to look at (even update?) my accounts when I'm a zillion miles away - but would that need me to install Office on my iPad/iPhone?

manu chao
Jun 13, 2011, 05:00 PM
I think it is funny. I mean, come on, did you have to "sync" your rotary dial phone? AND it worked just as well, right, no dropped calls in 1958, right!!
No, but your rotary dial phone did not access your e-mails nor did it play podcasts or any music. I think people were smart enough to realise that to get new music onto their iPods they had to sync them.

cameronjpu
Jun 13, 2011, 05:01 PM

I personally know two people that have iPhone 4's and have never synced. I cannot image that magically with iCloud that they will do that.

Right now, unless your family tech nerd understands and pushes the benefits of free google exchange sync, those people's phones never get synced. This way, there is another way for people's stuff to be set up once and synced to backup automatically forever. Yes, it makes a difference.

gramirez2012
Jun 13, 2011, 05:01 PM
I never connect my 3G to my computer anymore. It's a pain to go get the cable and wait for the painfully slow phone to go through its satanic rituals of backing up and syncing. Especially with iOS 4 running as terrible on the 3G as it does, its just not worth it.

Rychy
Jun 13, 2011, 05:02 PM
I can't even imagine... never synced?! Like do they not even put music on their iPhone?... crazy.

cameronjpu
Jun 13, 2011, 05:03 PM

My parents are technically illiterate, so I can imagine that they've never sync'ed their 3GSs. OTOH, I back up every few days or when I've changed something on my phone. My JB is why I'm not on the cutting edge.

You should sneak google exchange sync onto their phone so that when they lose or break it, their contacts and calendars are not lost.

cameronjpu
Jun 13, 2011, 05:05 PM

I don't think that most iPhone users understand that they're carrying around a small computer that requires the same attention as any other computer.

Sure they do. Are you under the (mistaken) impression that a significant proportion of the population backs up their computer? Because they don't.

stridemat
Jun 13, 2011, 05:06 PM
My new word for today. Backupophobes.

Most of the iPhone users I know never backup, or download new software :eek:

ChazUK
Jun 13, 2011, 05:06 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.4; en-gb; Nexus S Build/GRJ22) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

I've had no issues with Google Sync either. It quite happily keeps my OSX, iOS and Android devices updated perfectly.

manu chao
Jun 13, 2011, 05:07 PM
[SIZE=1]
Sure they do. Are you under the (mistaken) impression that a significant proportion of the population backs up their computer? Because they don't.
I am under the impression that a significant proportion of the population understands the concept of malware and hacking into a computer and the concept of security updates.
But maybe I am wrong.

cameronjpu
Jun 13, 2011, 05:09 PM

Maybe they're just habits? Nobody runs updates, Mac users or windows users. My clients, almost to the last one, don't even know their admin passwords when I show up to fix things. Wifi password? What's that?

Sorry nerds. It's normal to not do this stuff. Be glad. Being a nerd means you'll always have a skill that 80% of the world doesn't. And that's always good.

bushido
Jun 13, 2011, 05:11 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; de-de) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

u wouldnt believe how many people i know who still run iOS 4.0 on their iPhone 4 and have never updated their apps either. having a lovely #56 next to their appstore icon would drive me nutty.

aristokrat
Jun 13, 2011, 05:13 PM

I understand this to a point, except when point people rely on the phone for important aspects of their life (whatever they deem them to be). Then it's like acting like you can't be bothered to learn about fire safety at your research lab because you have important hydrogen experiments to run. Just because it's "just a tool" doesn't mean you shouldn't learn how it works.

bushido
Jun 13, 2011, 05:14 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; de-de) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

[SIZE=1]
I am under the impression that a significant proportion of the population understands the concept of malware and hacking into a computer and the concept of security updates.
But maybe I am wrong.

lol i know plenty of people including my mother who dont know what "update" even means and lots of ppl at my college always click the antivir warning away bc they cant be bothered updating. there r also those who have a billion toolbars installed

cameronjpu
Jun 13, 2011, 05:14 PM

I sync everyday to add new podcast from iTunes....but I would agree that 50% is actually too low. Most people simply do not sync. And why should they? No phone before this has ever had to do it.

You should look up podcaster. It will change your life, if that's the only reason you sync.

cameronjpu
Jun 13, 2011, 05:16 PM

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/534.32 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

I'm another daily podcast listener. This is the #1 reason I sync my iPhone. I would probably do it weekly otherwise, or just whenever I remember (and I work in IT, specifically backups and data retention!). If icloud/wifi syncing also updates my podcasts that'd be nice. Shouldn't even need the computer on for that.

Podcaster. Automatically updates and downloads at your timetable and when on wifi only if you prefer. It's amazing.

kalex
Jun 13, 2011, 05:18 PM
Nerds are so incapable of understanding normal people.

Ich bin ein Nerd

gkarris
Jun 13, 2011, 05:18 PM
What is "synced"? :eek:

;)

cameronjpu
Jun 13, 2011, 05:20 PM

[SIZE=1]
But maybe I am wrong.

You're definitely wrong. Talk to some normal people someday and you'll see.

Pegamush
Jun 13, 2011, 05:28 PM
people are stupid (some of them).
they buy an expensive cellphone just for fashion, at least here in Italy, for what i've seen.
they don't care about backup, many don't even know what's a backup, they use it just for caling, messaging, taking crappy photos to their friends/dogs and MMSing them.
hey, didn't you know? it just work! wow, it's magic!

how sad..

wonderspark
Jun 13, 2011, 05:28 PM
I'm still on 3.1.2 on my 3GS, and I synced it maybe a year or so ago. Once I jailbroke it, and got it to do exactly what I wanted it to do, it's been fine on its own ever since. No need to sync, not even for music, since I use Audiogalaxy to play my newer music "in the cloud" or whatever, rather than what's in the iPod section.

The only thing it's starting to need is a new battery.

Dr McKay
Jun 13, 2011, 05:30 PM

Its probably a good thing his 3G is on 2.x :D

Probably runs pretty quick

Blakjack
Jun 13, 2011, 05:34 PM
I never backup. I've probably plugged my iPad into a computer a total of 5 times and I had iPad 1 and 2

Skoal
Jun 13, 2011, 05:37 PM

Not to be too disrespectful but I'm sure you've done plenty of idiotic things in your days on Earth. You just don't equate them that way because they aren't important to you, much like owning in iPhone is to many folks. As far as them deserving to own a smartphone, guys like Steve Jobs are banking on them and I guarantee welcoming them with open arms. One of the reasons OSX and iOS are so simple to use no doubt!

I know plenty of people who could care less about anything their phone does beyond calls, texts, browsing, email, and the occasional game. I'm certain many iPhones are bought because they are the "IT" phone to have and thats enough for most people!

I however am anal about checking for updates to apps and iOS, etc. To each their own!

emaja
Jun 13, 2011, 05:41 PM
You just called your parents and your siblings, and probably at least half of your kids, idiots.

Don't forget spouses or significant others :D

Since I live with them, I'm pretty sure I am qualified to make that judgment - LOL!

Rodimus Prime
Jun 13, 2011, 05:43 PM

do not believe so.

Well if you think about it what do you need to back up on your phone?
Contacts -- Nope stored elsewhere (my case google)
Calandar -- Again somehere else (Google)
Email -- Stored elsewhere so non issue (Google)
SMS-- Ok you might loose those but to me a non issue
Music -- Chances are on your computer. new stuff from iTunes Back it up
App-- Yeah you should back those up

I know on my iPod it only connects to my computer on an update and even then it is iffy if I had not really bought anything recently.

ccf
Jun 13, 2011, 05:46 PM
I apologize if this is a dumb question, but I'm wondering about iCloud. Will it sync your podcasts to your iPhone automatically? Is it an option or setting?

I'm just now trying to understand what iCloud actually does & doesn't do.

baryon
Jun 13, 2011, 05:49 PM
I don't see the point of backing up an iPhone, as it doesn't really hold valuable data other than contacts. People who don't sync it probably don't use iCal or anything like that either.

I understand the ones who don't sync it: why should you plug in your mobile phone to your computer? Sure, for its most valuable features, you have to sync it, but many people, mostly older people, only want to use it as a phone and to text, and maybe use the built-in apps and download some new ones rarely. Maybe they don't even use a computer on a regular basis, or they don't want to figure out how to use iTunes.

I agree that iTunes is a pain to use if you're on a PC: you're used to Windows Media Player, and you don't want to switch to a buggy and slow application like iTunes for PC (iTunes on Mac is fine, but the PC port is horrible).

And if you don't use iTunes, then you can't sync anything basically. I think this is one of the biggest causes here.

kas23
Jun 13, 2011, 05:50 PM
Apple makes their devices so mind-numbingly simple that cats and 3 year-olds can use them, so why are we surprised that people use them as if they have the mentality of a cat or a 3 year-old?

Another corollary of this news; over 50% of iPhone owners couldn't care less what Steve Jobs and Co say during their keynotes (it's just a dog and pony show for the media and shareholders).

GoKyu
Jun 13, 2011, 06:01 PM

People just don't want to bother updating, or don't know they're supposed to. "What, I have to UPDATE this? How's this better than having a PC??"

Awesome avatar by the way, Stella :)

leo.andres.21
Jun 13, 2011, 06:06 PM
Apple makes their devices so mind-numbingly simple that cats and 3 year-olds can use them, so why are we surprised that people use them as if they have the mentality of a cat or a 3 year-old?

Another corollary of this news; over 50% of iPhone owners couldn't care less what Steve Jobs and Co say during their keynotes (it's just a dog and pony show for the media and shareholders).

i actually think it's the other way around. steve doesn't care if regular consumers watch his keynote, he just needs to impress the media with his charm and catchphrase "it just works". then the media will blow it up and consumers will buy it. apple uses the press a lot to sell its products, like a hundreds of tech blogs focusing on apple rumors.
whatever consumer thinks, steve jobs is a genius and he makes a lot of money at :apple: markups profits.

bushido
Jun 13, 2011, 06:07 PM

just yesterday my mom asked me where the reboot button on her keyboard is, thats all i gotta say xD

howevee i dont backup either, its just annoying and taking too long. everything is saved on my hdd anyway. im anal about updates tho

CaptainCannabis
Jun 13, 2011, 06:13 PM
That's because Apple has jumped into the bandwagon of subsidising their phones, so now even a person more retarded than the retards to whom (due to it's simplicity of use) it is aimed at also can have access to it.

bushido
Jun 13, 2011, 06:17 PM

That's because Apple has jumped into the bandwagon of subsidising their phones, so now even a person more retarded than the retards to whom (due to it's simplicity of use) it is aimed at also can have access to it.

so ur saying only rich people know how to backup while a broke IT student has no clue? that logic doesnt make sense at all

Xtremehkr
Jun 13, 2011, 06:23 PM

Judging by the sheer amount of spam that is sent to me (unknowingly) by people I know on Facebook, whose computers contract viruses without their knowledge. I'd say people's average knowledge of how computers work is lower than it should be.

It seems to be something we'd have given higher priority to in modern education.

manu chao
Jun 13, 2011, 06:28 PM
then the media will blow it up and consumers will buy it.
Either Steve Jobs really has a Reality Distortion Field or any other company could just add 'It just works' to their presentations and could be as successful as Apple.

Which one is it: does Jobs have a RDF or could others be as successful by just adding 'It just works'?

Remember the iPod HiFi? According to your theory, Jobs forgot to switch on his RDF when he presented it.

Judging by the sheer amount of spam that is sent to me (unknowingly) by people I know on Facebook, whose computers contract viruses without their knowledge. I'd say people's average knowledge of how computers work is lower than it should be.

Given that that has happened to me maybe twice in the last ten years, I guess I know different kinds of people (or maybe the people I know are neither too young nor too old).

nutmac
Jun 13, 2011, 06:28 PM
Hopefully, iOS 5 will let you choose what to backup. On the current beta version, only options available are "Back Up to iCloud" on/off toggle, "Buy More Storage" (which doesn't let you buy yet), and "Manage Storage" (points to same "Buy More Storage" screen).

I don't need to backup camera roll, just device settings, app data, home screen and app organization, and text and MMS messages.

bohbot16
Jun 13, 2011, 06:32 PM
Hopefully, iOS 5 will let you choose what to backup. On the current beta version, only options available are "Back Up to iCloud" on/off toggle, "Buy More Storage" (which doesn't let you buy yet), and "Manage Storage" (points to same "Buy More Storage" screen).

I don't need to backup camera roll, just device settings, app data, home screen and app organization, and text and MMS messages.

From the "Manage Storage" screen you can select your device and select specific apps to sync, including camera roll.

joelovesapple
Jun 13, 2011, 06:44 PM
You know, I'm really not surprised by this. The amount of people who 'lose their contacts' and mention it on Facebook, creating groups to retrieve their friends numbers; they in turn post their numbers in PUBLIC for the world to see. Drives me nuts.

Often think to myself 'well, if you knew how to use your effing phone in the first place this wouldn't have happened!'

And guess what... I have an Android but I have my contacts backed up with Google, as well as my photos in Picasa albums and other stuff in other Google places. I am not against the iPhone in any way. This logic still applies however, with any smartphone.

They're often the people whose computers are infested with malware, and are still running Service Pack 2 of XP.

Need I say any more?

b11051973
Jun 13, 2011, 06:54 PM
I was at a genius bar a while ago. There was a girl there being helped who had never synced her iPhone or connected it to a WiFi network. It seemed so foreign to me. I'm shocked if true that 50% of iPhone users are this way.

Chocolatemilty
Jun 13, 2011, 07:02 PM
I'd say this is seriously plausible. I upgraded my mother to an iPhone 4 from her 3G for mother's day, but I was at college when I ordered it and she set it up herself. I instructed her to backup daily or bi-daily as she charges, for if she does so the backups won't take so long. Much to my chargin, when I returned home last Saturday for a week between sessions, I learned she hasn't backed up ONCE since she activated and put her 3G backup on it! I was dumbfounded. I showed her the iPhone user guide in Safari, all these YouTube how-to videos and everything. She just refuses to do so. iOS 5's wifi sync will be a godsend for her because she puts so much important information on her iPhone and she never backs up!

eastercat
Jun 13, 2011, 07:04 PM
My parents probably rarely use the gmail account my brother set up for them. If they manage to use half of their 200MB data limit each month, I'd be surprised.
Anyway, I didn't like the way that google messed up my address book.
You should sneak google exchange sync onto their phone so that when they lose or break it, their contacts and calendars are not lost.

I was at a genius bar a while ago. There was a girl there being helped who had never synced her iPhone or connected it to a WiFi network.I hardly connect my phone to wifi, because there's hardly any where I am--and home doesn't count. Wifi is at McDonald's, Starbucks, colleges, etc, and I'm not hanging out there.

manu chao
Jun 13, 2011, 07:09 PM
You're definitely wrong. Talk to some normal people someday and you'll see.
Normal people either have somebody in their family who takes are of things like updates or they just religiously follow every MS update (and stay away from any other update). There are also the slightly more paranoid and irrational people who would never do online banking and don't use ATMs because their fear it will eat their debit card or not spit out the money but still charge their account.

Justinf79
Jun 13, 2011, 07:10 PM
Geesh, talk about lazy/clueless people. :p

OllyW
Jun 13, 2011, 07:10 PM
"Whats an OS"

Sounds just like my brother.

I recently asked him if he'd updated his Mac mini to Snow Leopard. "What's that?" was his reply. God knows what OS he's running on his iPhone. :D

khunsanook
Jun 13, 2011, 07:15 PM
I'm still on 3.1.3 with my 3G. Anything above iOS 3 on a 3G is practically unusable.

maclaptop
Jun 13, 2011, 07:16 PM

I cannot imagine why you are surprised.

After all Apple caters to those who have no clue.

The general public doesn't know what they are doing, nor do they care, they are too lazy to do any reading, or learning.

So rather than encourage them to do so, we have new buzzword from iCloud "automagically". Nothing for you (the consumer) to do. It just works. Stand back and watch it work.. ha..ha...ha..

Even the users on this forum bash Android because you actually have to learn something new.

There's no personal responsibility today, it's point the finger and blame others..

Steve Jobs is a stellar example of this finger pointing practice. "You're holding it wrong".

"We Apple, Are Perfect".

Hurry up and sue someone, anyone, grab headlines, brag about how many you sell and screw everyone else.

It's the "Apple Way" :eek:

ModestForumName
Jun 13, 2011, 07:20 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/534.32 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8F190)

You can't google "google." It tears a whole in space and time, thus negating the existence of the person altogether

acslater017
Jun 13, 2011, 07:28 PM

LOL I wouldn't quite call them idiots (there may be SOME idiots out there, but 90% of people are smart in their own areas, I suppose), but I do crack up every time I see someone search for Google in the search bar. :(

Or my dad, who closes programs and re-launches them every time he wants to get something out of the way (as opposed to just minimizing or hiding it). He'd definitely benefit from a bit of Lion :o:rolleyes:

iGobbleoff
Jun 13, 2011, 07:41 PM
People who never do it deserve to lose everything and start from scratch again. That's the only way they'll learn.

cameronjpu
Jun 13, 2011, 07:44 PM
My parents probably rarely use the gmail account my brother set up for them. If they manage to use half of their 200MB data limit each month, I'd be surprised.
Anyway, I didn't like the way that google messed up my address book.

They don't have to use their Gmail account, it just syncs so that if the phone is lost, you, the resident expert, can get their data back onto the phone in 2 minutes. I don't know what you might have done wrong last time you dealt with Google's address book, but if you do it right, it's pretty much foolproof. All changes are undo-able anyway.

cameronjpu
Jun 13, 2011, 07:46 PM
People who never do it deserve to lose everything and start from scratch again. That's the only way they'll learn.

And the only way you'll learn how stupid that is is when your mother/wife loses all her contacts/calendar and YOU have to spend hours fixing the problem.

iSayuSay
Jun 13, 2011, 07:47 PM
This is a great reality check for a lot of posters on these forums who think Mac Rumors members are a good representation of the wider iPhone owning community. We're not, we're a geeky minority. The majority of iPhone owners neither know nor care what iOS, WWDC or iCloud are.

You nailed it, sir. In fact, most of Apple consumer may never browse Macrumors.com :D

But really, I kinda hate this kind of people. People who don't know what or why they buy. People who buy Apple products just for social rank and considered rich that they can afford such an expensive item. Bring them to cafe and show off everyone with their iPad/iPhone or Macbooks.

While minority geek people like us here know what to do with Mac, often time we know much more than Apple's Genius :p

I bet many people out there don't know what iCloud means, iOS5 top features or even Lion update. They don't care, but once they listen to it, they want it so bad but they don't know how to get their hands-on it. So, they pay someone to get it for them, while you can get it yourself for cheaper or even free. Well, bit pathetic for me

Tronic
Jun 13, 2011, 07:53 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Let me first say that while i try to hide it from the world, im a technology nerd at heart. I visit this site probably 10 times a day as well as numerous other technology orientated sites/forum.

And I last synced in the fall of 2010 when I finally updated my 3G to ios4. You might ask why, but honestly I can't think of any compelling reason to backup so frequently.

Let me say that I do not keep any music or videos on my iPhone and I could care less if my notes/texts/apps aren't backed up. I've also never paid for an app once so maybe that has something to do with it. Saving iOS and general app preferences would be the only reason for me to back up.

Feel free to bash if you want. :)

michaelcyee
Jun 13, 2011, 07:56 PM
It occurs to me that with Lion's features, Apple would be able to download fixes automatically, and then apply those fixes with a reboot and the user would probably never know it - as long as the reboot happened when they were away from the screen.

I wouldn't be trusting enough for this, but I know plenty of people that would.

I certainly hope not. My number one grip with Windows is that sometimes when it installs a super critical update it will force you to restart and you can only delay the reminder for four hours, so you either have to be on the computer and say "no" all the time, or may just come back to see that it rebooted on its own and possibly lost what you were working on. I've often complained that Windows obviously doesn't understand that "no means no," with the stubborn belief, "no, but I'll try again in four hours."

eTip
Jun 13, 2011, 08:06 PM
Wow, what exactly is everyone backing up that is so important? I connect my iPad/iPhone only when I am forced to - like for upgrades or jailbreaking or to transfer some movies etc. for a trip. I despise how long the backup, sync process takes. Recently, I started using VLC for movies which still requires to connect to a computer but I don't have to backup or sync. I have never downloaded or purchased a single app on my computer - doing so just seems convoluted to me. Even with two (was 3) iPhones and an iPad there isn't that much overlap of Apps between the devices & all of them are constantly connected to WiFi so it's easier to download the Apps on the device to me.

Contacts, notes & Calendar are handled flawlessly by Google and email resides on the (Yahoo) server. I download my pictures occasionally. - but that doesn't require iTunes (or a backup/sync).

Having had an iPhone & iPad since the day they were released, I don't think I have ever had to restore from a backup. Most things that are being backed up, I find to be available elsewhere - for example as email attachments. I just recently sold my IPhone 4 and am temporarily using my original iPhone which I set ups as new. The only thing I have found to be missing so far were a few bookmarks (which needed cleaned out anyhow) and some songs that I had ID'd in Shazam (had screenshots anyhow).

bushido
Jun 13, 2011, 08:11 PM

my favorites last week:

"Did u finally get iOS 4.3?"
- No, i have an iPhone

"Did u finally get Windows 7?"
- No i have Office 2003 i think

I got a new phone
"Android?"
- Let me check, no the label says Samsung

"Do u have a wifi cable?"

3GEE
Jun 13, 2011, 08:12 PM
Can anyone tell me if it will be possible to schedule the time when the backup will occur? I have a very draconian daily wifi limit but I have a few hours during the night where I can do unlimited. This will kill my daily limit but if I can schedule it, it would be superb.

Slim02
Jun 13, 2011, 08:23 PM
I don't see the point of backing up an iPhone, as it doesn't really hold valuable data other than contacts. People who don't sync it probably don't use iCal or anything like that either.

I understand the ones who don't sync it: why should you plug in your mobile phone to your computer? Sure, for its most valuable features, you have to sync it, but many people, mostly older people, only want to use it as a phone and to text, and maybe use the built-in apps and download some new ones rarely. Maybe they don't even use a computer on a regular basis, or they don't want to figure out how to use iTunes.

I agree that iTunes is a pain to use if you're on a PC: you're used to Windows Media Player, and you don't want to switch to a buggy and slow application like iTunes for PC (iTunes on Mac is fine, but the PC port is horrible).

And if you don't use iTunes, then you can't sync anything basically. I think this is one of the biggest causes here.

You are clueless.. iTunes on my Windows 7 works as good as on my Mac. Slow and bugging my a$$.. And older people? what is old over 30 , 40 because my Mom is in her 50's and does more then talk and text on her phone.. I think people should say nothing about others when they have no facts or are clueless..

do not believe so.

I know on my iPod it only connects to my computer on an update and even then it is iffy if I had not really bought anything recently.

Why should I use Google when my Mac already stores the same information that stored on my iPhone? So when I change some thing it sync both up to having the same info, so there no point to using something else.

cameronjpu
Jun 13, 2011, 08:31 PM
Why should I use Google when my Mac already stores the same information that stored on my iPhone? So when I change some thing it sync both up to having the same info, so there no point to using something else.

Using Google performs the same functions as far as mail, contacts and calendar, as MobileMe does, except free. So if you find yourself asking why would someone use Google to sync, use whatever justification you would use for MobileMe, except free.

If you HAPPENED to read the title of this thread, you would notice that half the world doesn't plug their phones into their computer to sync, ever. So for those people, surely you understand where the benefit of using Google to sync is? Just because you do it the old fashioned way doesn't mean there isn't another way.

Slim02
Jun 13, 2011, 08:37 PM
Using Google performs the same functions as far as mail, contacts and calendar, as MobileMe does, except free. So if you find yourself asking why would someone use Google to sync, use whatever justification you would use for MobileMe, except free.

If you HAPPENED to read the title of this thread, you would notice that half the world doesn't plug their phones into their computer to sync, ever. So for those people, surely you understand where the benefit of using Google to sync is? Just because you do it the old fashioned way doesn't mean there isn't another way.

Again why should I need to use Google? To use Google you need internet. Where syncing my iPhone to my Mac needs no internet.. Also storing your info on Google server can get hacked where my Mac would not and is safer too...

cameronjpu
Jun 13, 2011, 08:43 PM
Again why should I need to use Google? To use Google you need internet. Where syncing my iPhone to my Mac needs no internet.. Also storing your info on Google server can get hacked where my Mac would not and is saver too...

You don't have a need to have information instantly backed up, accessible on multiple devices at all times and places, without the cost of spending 5 minutes a day waiting for it to happen. That's fine! Some of us do have those needs, and for us, thank god there are better ways to do it than the old fashioned way.

Popeye206
Jun 13, 2011, 08:44 PM
No big surprise. Most consumers don't know 1/2 of what their smartphone can do. Not to mention not know why you'd do something like sync.

Slim02
Jun 13, 2011, 08:47 PM
You don't have a need to have information instantly backed up, accessible on multiple devices at all times and places, without the cost of spending 5 minutes a day waiting for it to happen. That's fine! Some of us do have those needs, and for us, thank god there are better ways to do it than the old fashioned way.

5 mins? You mean less then 2 mins and I have 3 devices work just fine. Also what you called "old fashioned" is SAFER and does not need to go online to do it...

cameronjpu
Jun 13, 2011, 08:54 PM
5 mins? You mean less then 2 mins and I have 3 devices work just fine. Also what you called "old fashioned" is SAVER and does not need to go online to do it...

It's "safer" not saver.

Yes, I'm sorry, but for some people, saving that much time every single day, in addition to having devices synced throughout the day at all times, is worth real money. Getting it free is just a bonus. Your time isn't worth the money, and there's nothing wrong with that. Someday you may decide that it is worth it, or you may continue to think that the reduction in security, however small, is not worth it. I guess you have your Mac locked in a safe, and a security guard patrolling your house?

Gmail is not inherently insecure, if you don't click on phishing links and you have a reasonable password, you have nothing to worry about. I assume that someone as concerned with security as you are could manage to protect his Gmail account pretty well.

Where I live, the requirement to use internet to make my syncing happen is not a downside. It is for you. If your access to internet is not as reliable as some peoples', you might not agree with syncing over the internet. That's OK.

I actually use an Exchange account instead of Gmail, which offer basically the same features but slightly better performance and syncing for me. It costs me 30 cents a day. And it's worth it, so well worth it I can't even tell you. If they charged me 3 times what they do, I still would do it in an instant.

Not for you, and that's OK. Remember... it's OK if your needs are less than some others'. It's OK buddy....

eTip
Jun 13, 2011, 09:11 PM

I agree completely - except that I see absolutely no reason to back up apps either. To me a backup is only needed for an emergency - like if your phone doesn't work and you have to restore & even when I found myself in that situation, I would like to start out fresh and would set my phone up as new and just re-download the apps on the device. It's a good opportunity to start fresh & have done exactly that when jailbreaking a couple times over the years.

Songs or movies are a different story since you can't (until iCloud) re-dowload them - but I have never bought a movie on my IOS devices (rental, yes) and can count on one hand the songs I have purchase on my devices. Not sure about books since I use the Kindle app for that & can re-download if necessary. There is something to be said for backing up the *settings* or *documents* associates with an App but for me the settings are relatively easy to recreate and documents are usually retrievable via a sent email etc.

Now will someone please explain why not backing up my devices is SO risky/foolish?

scottness
Jun 13, 2011, 09:39 PM
Wirelessly posted (iPhone Dark: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8H7)

My wife has never plugged her iPhone into the computer. It only gets synced when I upgrade her OS while she isn't looking.

Lol. I wait for my wife to fall asleep and then I hijack her iPhone for backup and sync... Probably every couple of weeks or so. I think she stresses less not knowing about it.

And she's no idiot... She's a lot smarter than I am in many ways--she just has no interest in tech stuff. That's what I'm for, I guess.

iMrNiceGuy0023
Jun 13, 2011, 09:39 PM
I know plenty of people with iPhones and no computers, how can they sync and update?

alent1234
Jun 13, 2011, 09:41 PM
same with my wife, sync her phone once every few months for an OS upgrade and to back up her photos. need to restore as new soon because her gmail is flaky but that's probably because i restored her iphone 4 from her 3G backup

the whole sync thing probably comes from all the ex Palm guys apple hired to build the original iphone

unlinked
Jun 13, 2011, 09:42 PM
I know plenty of people with iPhones and no computers, how can they sync and update?

They have to wait for a post pc world.

twoodcc
Jun 13, 2011, 10:01 PM
wow that's crazy. i guess iCloud will help a lot of people

HitchHykr
Jun 13, 2011, 10:04 PM
A lot of people just don't care what OS is on their phone, it's just a tool for them, not a lifestyle/hobby/obsession as it is for most of us on this board and other boards like it. I wouldn't call them "stupid", is just people with other interest. They would probably find it amusing that we actively participate in forums about cell phones.

KingCrimson
Jun 13, 2011, 10:04 PM
Same. I've had a few people replace their phone with a newer model and then call me to ask how they move their data over.

iCloud solves a real problem. People don't want to do anything. They want it to "just work".

And Apple makes trillions by delivering solutions that allow the consumer to do nothing but enjoy their UX.

iSee
Jun 13, 2011, 10:52 PM
Probably a lot of people like my wife.

She was complaining that she was embarassed by her phone because everyone else she ran into in her business had a smart phone.

So moved her to the front of the pack and got her an iPhone 4.

Now she's mad because it has tons of functions that she doesn't want. :rolleyes: I can't win.

I did sync it initially but she never does. Not really a problem since she only uses it for talking and texting, so nothing to back up really. (She has a freaky memory for phone numbers and addresses so apparently doesn't need a contact list even though she deals with hundreds of clients, doctors, attorneys, adjusters, etc.)

applesith
Jun 13, 2011, 10:58 PM
Count my mother into that statistic (if she ever had to bring her iphone to the :apple: store, that is)

AidenShaw
Jun 13, 2011, 11:00 PM

They do - I've seen her name on the MILF lists a lot.

:D

ArcaneDevice
Jun 13, 2011, 11:20 PM
A lot of people just don't care what OS is on their phone, it's just a tool for them, not a lifestyle/hobby/obsession as it is for most of us on this board and other boards like it.

Absolutely correct. When was the last time the same people in this forum who are ridiculing those who have never updated the software updated the firmware on their television, DVD player, router, car ECU, receiver etc.

All that is second nature to me but most of the time people don't bother. If something is just working that's all they want.

If iTunes didn't do all the work I expect a lot of people on this forum wouldn't update their software either.

Ammo
Jun 13, 2011, 11:28 PM
This happens more often than you would think.

shurcooL
Jun 13, 2011, 11:34 PM
Exactly! Google Sync is awesome and works flawlessly on my iPhone. So much better than my dad's Blackberry.

Shadow Runner
Jun 13, 2011, 11:54 PM

my favorites last week:

"Did u finally get iOS 4.3?"
- No, i have an iPhone

"Did u finally get Windows 7?"
- No i have Office 2003 i think

I got a new phone
"Android?"
- Let me check, no the label says Samsung

"Do u have a wifi cable?"

:D Those were great, very funny! I really liked the wifi cable.

caspersoong
Jun 14, 2011, 12:46 AM
True. I was fixing my friend's iPhone 3GS which she never backed up unless she had to update. Bye, all the useful data.

eTip
Jun 14, 2011, 12:55 AM
True. I was fixing my friend's iPhone 3GS which she never backed up unless she had to update. Bye, all the useful data.

What useful data exactly? No one has explained to me exactly what they are are backing up that isn't backed up elsewhere already.

ScottishDuck
Jun 14, 2011, 02:02 AM
The problem arises when you consider that people will need to sync/upgrade the device before they have access to iCloud... I hope there are a lot of PR men running around in Cupertino.

spillproof
Jun 14, 2011, 02:30 AM
I sync to iPhoto once per week, but I can't remember the last time I synced to iTunes.

res1233
Jun 14, 2011, 02:32 AM
I sync my iPhone regularly, but not because I actually have a need to. It's more a matter of convenience. I like having my iPhone near my computer when I'm home for easy access, and reaching for the outlet to plug the thing in is quite a bit more of a pain. But yah, I have no need to sync. I only care when there's an iOS update available. I think this PC-Free thing is going to be pretty amazing, especially after most people have bought new iPhones, since many people probably wont get the latest version of iOS till they do. :p

chaosbunny
Jun 14, 2011, 02:52 AM
I guess most people don't have important stuff on their phones. At least I don't have anything that I'd miss. Contacts have been stored in the adressbook on my computer since well before I got my iPhone so they are not lost if my phone is stolen or breaks.

As for being lazy with updates, I won't update to iOS 5 anyway since I don't want all my stuff to be sent to Apple. In this day and age when you can update so many devices around your house I'm not surprised most people don't bother, there are better things to to than keeping everything constantly up to date.

spillproof
Jun 14, 2011, 03:09 AM
I guess most people don't have important stuff on their phones. At least I don't have anything that I'd miss. Contacts have been stored in the adressbook on my computer since well before I got my iPhone so they are not lost if my phone is stolen or breaks.

As for being lazy with updates, I won't update to iOS 5 anyway since I don't want all my stuff to be sent to Apple. In this day and age when you can update so many devices around your house I'm not surprised most people don't bother, there are better things to to than keeping everything constantly up to date.

You can turn off/not sign up for iCloud. Nothing has to be sent to Apple.

chaosbunny
Jun 14, 2011, 04:10 AM
You can turn off/not sign up for iCloud. Nothing has to be sent to Apple.

Thanks, I thought it would be on by default? So I have to manually sign up for iCloud and if I don't do that it won't do anything? Even though reading through most of the recent articles about it I must have missed that. :o

fabianjj
Jun 14, 2011, 05:16 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; sv-se) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Mind boggling. I really like having a nice backed up phone.

If you ever use iTunes on windows, it will stop boggle you.

JabbaII
Jun 14, 2011, 07:16 AM

Guess these people never bought physical CDs.

Wonder how they got music in their devices in the first place :confused:

manu chao
Jun 14, 2011, 07:24 AM
How did they set up their iPhones in the first place?
Right, somebody did it for them (as I did for my mother). The same person will also update their iPhones for them.

jonnysods
Jun 14, 2011, 07:25 AM
My wife is one of those. If I don't snatch the phone out of her hands and sync it to our mac it would never get backed up. She'd regret it one day!

She also has about 26 update badge reminders on her App Store app, she doesn't understand how to do it even though I've explained it.

But my goodness I love her. :)

kas23
Jun 14, 2011, 07:27 AM

She was complaining that she was embarassed by her phone because everyone else she ran into in her business had a smart phone.

So moved her to the front of the pack and got her an iPhone 4.

Now she's mad because it has tons of functions that she doesn't want. :rolleyes: I can't win.

I did sync it initially but she never does. Not really a problem since she only uses it for talking and texting, so nothing to back up really. (She has a freaky memory for phone numbers and addresses so apparently doesn't need a contact list even though she deals with hundreds of clients, doctors, attorneys, adjusters, etc.)

My wife's the same way. I usually have to wait until she's asleep or busy with something before I steal it and update/sync it. She has had an iPhone for 3 years now and still doesn't know how, or even why, I sync it.

And when she catches me doing it, she gets mad thinking I'm "placing more apps on it". If it was up to her, she would only have 3 apps; Messages, Phone, and Facebook.

Jett0516
Jun 14, 2011, 07:39 AM
maybe that 50% of the people dislike itunes...

ghostlyorb
Jun 14, 2011, 07:45 AM
Doesn't surprise me one bit. If my parents were to go out to get an iPhone... they would have no idea what "sync" even means. They wouldn't even know where to download iTunes from. I know plenty of people who use an iPhone as a PHONE.. and nothing else. Kinda stupid =/

arcite
Jun 14, 2011, 08:04 AM
You know, Apple is becoming more of a utility. Just visit the Genius Bar, they will solve all your problems! :)

diamond.g
Jun 14, 2011, 08:15 AM
What useful data exactly? No one has explained to me exactly what they are are backing up that isn't backed up elsewhere already.

The only useful data I can think of (at least in my case) is game saves. Even then I am not expecting miracles when iCloud backups go live with apps having to be updated to support that feature (correctly).

Basically any information that is stored in an app that doesn't already back that info up on the web.

DiamondMac
Jun 14, 2011, 08:17 AM

Actually find the exact opposite

Those who never backup that I know just go along with all problems and never complain. Good friend of mine had multiple things wrong with his iphone for years yet just dealt with it b/c he didnt know better.

While those who know the in's, out's, and everything are the ones who can't not take any responsibility for their own issues. Heck, use this forum....people drop their phones or have some minor error that can be corrected themselves and want Apple and others to give them new equipment, money, happiness, etc....

To me, the all-knowings are the annoying ones

A lot of people just don't care what OS is on their phone, it's just a tool for them, not a lifestyle/hobby/obsession as it is for most of us on this board and other boards like it. I wouldn't call them "stupid", is just people with other interest. They would probably find it amusing that we actively participate in forums about cell phones.

People who call them stupid are doing so b/c it makes them feel better on this forum. There really is no need to call others stupid for something like this. Many people I know have had all iPhones an used/loved them for years without syncing. I don't really see the problem other than people wanting others to do what they do or else they are IDIOTS, MORONS, etc....which is a bit comical.

One common argument seems to be that those who don't sync are the REAL problem customers...all the while I am wondering whether these same people read this forum and see the daily, hourly, minutely posts by the "always syncing" crowd complaining about their phones, wanting Genius Bar reservations, etc....

As others have pointed out, we all have our obsessions and loves and people on here loves their phones/electronics while others love other things.

Those who can't seem to understand that not everyone does EVERYTHING on their phones need to grow up a bit. Acting like a teenager on here really won't improve your argument.

panzer06
Jun 14, 2011, 08:51 AM

arn

This is especially true if I don't add much while traveling but I always sync once I get back home.

Cheers,

Orng
Jun 14, 2011, 01:32 PM
My mom had her 3Gs for like 6 months before I got hold of it and realized that she had no iTunes account, and therefore no apps besides the default, and she had never plugged it in to her computer. I set her up though.

I know her computer is right there in her kitchen and her iPhone is probably sitting right next to her, so every now and then when I know she's at home I send her a text message: "You should sync your iPhone!"

ArcaneDevice
Jun 14, 2011, 01:47 PM
Guess these people never bought physical CDs.

Wonder how they got music in their devices in the first place :confused:

Don't put music on their phone maybe?

I don't bother putting any music on my phone because I don't listen to music on it. My car has it's own iPod and an iPhone doesn't have the capacity.

Brother Esau
Jun 14, 2011, 02:18 PM

Agreed in every sense

DirtySocks85
Jun 14, 2011, 02:42 PM
Makes sense to me. I personally hate backup. It not only takes forever, but it really doesn't help much when i can simply just re-sync. I know you lose some preferences, but nothing that cant be reset.

While that may be true for you, others play games or use apps that don't backup their data to servers, so there's real data to be lost, not just a few settings.

eTip
Jun 14, 2011, 03:13 PM
While that may be true for you, others play games or use apps that don't backup their data to servers, so there's real data to be lost, not just a few settings.

....Which is exactly the point! Everyone's situation is different. I connect my phone & iPad to my phone only on rare occasions. I backup even more rarely. I am far from a newbie or technophobe and choose not to backup not out of laziness, foolishness or naÔvetť but because all of the data I really care about is replicated elsewhere. I don't assume that people that backup regularly are fools either - I assume they are doing so because they have good reasons to do so.....though you are one of the few that has actually provided an explanation here as to *why* backups are important to *them*.

ThomasJL
Jun 14, 2011, 04:36 PM

This is absolutely true. I'm actually surprised it isn't more than that. In my time at Bar, I found that around 80% were synced only initially, or (at best) twice due to having to install an update. Not to generalize, but overwhelmingly women and teenage girls failed to sync: college students, male and female, did so far more often, and businesspeople tended to sync about once every two weeks.

It is AMAZING how much can be resolved by syncing, particularly if you never do it!

Thank you, Bluefusion.

I had a very strong suspicion that the overwhelming majority of people who never sync their iPhones were women and teenage girls. It's good to have such suspicions confirmed by someone like you who actually worked behind the Genius Bar. Women and teenage girls have a tendency to buy Apple products because they consider them to be fashion accessories and status symbols. The fact that the majority of non-sync'ers are women and teenage girls proves that Apple's relatively good functionality and reliability were not factors for their purchases. (In other words, if they actually cared about functionality and reliability, they would be syncing their iPhones.) The biggest shame in all of this is the fact that Apple constantly caters to such women and teenage girls by compromising functionality in order to maintain thin and stylish form factors.

I still prefer Apple computers and phones over that of other manufacturers, but I easily admit that Apple computers and phones could be so much more in terms of functionality if Apple stopped catering to women and teenage girls by constantly creating thin form factors that can be perceived as fashion accessories and status symbols.

mcmlxix
Jun 14, 2011, 05:05 PM
When I first got my iPhone I synced often, but then I was still playing around with music playlists and downloading more apps than I do now. At this point I only sync when I update the OS, which I do several days after each update comes out. The several days being a waiting period to ensure the update doesnít FUBAR everyone elseís phone. Any photos I take, I just email to myself.

Iíve converted a few family and friends to iPad & Mac, and I just take on the responsibility of updating, syncing, etc myself. Itís usually easier than telling them over the phone, ďSee that apple icon on the top left cornerÖĒ

I know plenty of lawyers, for example, some of them top litigators (i.e., in Toronto) that aren't very bright when it comes to tech. When it comes to figuring out public policy and legislation, however, they're stars. But work in that industry and witness it for yourself.

Same thing in academia. Same thing in several other professions, especially among more senior members.

Understanding tech is no signifier or marker of intellect. Tech is a tool, that's either comfortable to use to get actual work done, or it isn't. And a lot if it isn't.

Iíve heard apocryphal stories of Einstein (poster boy for geniuses) having all manner of difficulties with the simplest day to day functions. Some people are simply focused on what they need to be to the exclusion of all else.

rcp27
Jun 15, 2011, 01:35 AM
I still prefer Apple computers and phones over that of other manufacturers, but I easily admit that Apple computers and phones could be so much more in terms of functionality if Apple stopped catering to women and teenage girls by constantly creating thin form factors that can be perceived as fashion accessories and status symbols.

Announcing the new GuyPhone. It's a 2"x2"x6" brick, and when you unlock it, the screen displays a full 72 column terminal window, in which you have all the power of a Unix terminal.

To dial a number, simply type phone -n [number] while if you want to use a number from your phone book, type phone -b [contact ID] -c [home|mobile|work], where the contact ID is the number associated with the entry in the contacts database. The system is really powerful because you can write your own shell scripts to automatically dial your most popular contacts!

You can download all your favourite apps such as Emacs and Vi, using the simple "apt-get" app store interface.

I can just imagine the queues outside the apple store waiting for the launch of that one.