Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stoph105

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 13, 2011
I have a G4 powerbook that I need to run disk utility and start up from the CD but my Drive doesn't work. Is it possible to link to another mac using Target Disk mode to run the Disk Utility? How do I sort this without having to take it to an apple centre?

Thanks

Nov 28, 2010
located
Yes, Target Disk Mode is possible with another Mac with a Firewire port.
firewire4final.png

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
Link both Macs with FW cable. You have 2 ways now:

1. Put Install disc of OS you have installed on PB in optical drive of this second Mac. Boot this second one with "T" pressed on kbd. Next boot PB with "alt" pressed. You should see OS install disc in boot menu. Select it and proceed to next steps to get into DU.

2. Boot PB with "T" pressed on kbd. Boot second Mac. you should see PB's HDD on the second Mac's desktop. Run DU.

I'd recommend 1st way, because it's always better to run utilities of OS you have installed on HDD you want to repair.

stoph105

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 13, 2011
Link both Macs with FW cable. You have 2 ways now:

1. Put Install disc of OS you have installed on PB in optical drive of this second Mac. Boot this second one with "T" pressed on kbd. Next boot PB with "alt" pressed. You should see OS install disc in boot menu. Select it and proceed to next steps to get into DU.

2. Boot PB with "T" pressed on kbd. Boot second Mac. you should see PB's HDD on the second Mac's desktop. Run DU.

I'd recommend 1st way, because it's always better to run utilities of OS you have installed on HDD you want to repair.

Very helpful. Thanks a lot!

h4lp m3

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2011
New Orleans
What is still unclear?
I linked you to three guides on how to use TDM and shown you the different FW ports and plugs.
rhapsody what I was thinking. Some older people need you to hold your hand with basic tech, but you wouldn’t find them on a Mac forum, let alone know what TDM is

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.