Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ratzzo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2011
Madrid
Haha, I showed exactly that article to my sister earlier, she designs websites among other things and liked the read. The thought of posting it here wouldn't have crossed my mind though!

Just to add that in High School I experimented a bit with HTML and I did many of those things.. including background music haha<3

glossywhite

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 28, 2008
Haha, I showed exactly that article to my sister earlier, she designs websites among other things and liked the read. The thought of posting it here wouldn't have crossed my mind though!

Just to add that in High School I experimented a bit with HTML and I did many of those things.. including background music haha<3

It sure is a great article, and I am only 1/3 through it. It is a source of frustration to me that I have a friend who knows I am capable of high quality graphic design, and that I have a brother who is an exceptional artist on physical media, and yet he *insists* on going it alone, cobbling together mismatched elements and code, garish themes and badly designed serif font logos, together with default "Joomla!" metatags in the site, so that's what you see when you Google his company :-/

I'm talking of a friend who's website is the main point of contact of his entire business, as they are slowly migrating to online part sales for computers, and I keep reminding him that this is the first impression people straight off Google, will have of them... but he seems not to care.

I'm 95% done mastering photoshop (after having used it on and off for 8 years), and also CSS and HTML, and it pisses me off that some people *refuse* to pay a reasonable fee to allow people like us the chance to make their site work *properly*. I say this not through wanting the work, but through the sheer frustration watching of a computer geek friend who stubbornly refuses to admit that he hasn't grasped the "zen" and balance of good design!

Here comes another facepalm... :D

ratzzo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2011
Madrid
It sure is a great article, and I am only 1/3 through it. It is a source of frustration to me that I have a friend who knows I am capable of high quality graphic design, and that I have a brother who is an exceptional artist on physical media, and yet he *insists* on going it alone, cobbling together mismatched elements and code, garish themes and badly designed serif font logos, together with default "Joomla!" metatags in the site, so that's what you see when you Google his company :-/

I'm 95% done mastering photoshop (after having used it on and off for 8 years), and also CSS and HTML, and it pisses me off that some people *refuse* to pay a reasonable fee to allow people like us the chance to make their site work *properly*. I say this not through wanting the work, but through the sheer frustration watching of a computer geek friend who stubbornly refuses to admit that he hasn't grasped the "zen" and balance of good design!

Here comes another facepalm... :D

There, there, relax! Show your pals this article, see if that'll convince them :D

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
Seems to me that page the article is on forgot about suggestion #6 in Graphic, visual and audio elements:
Google adsense and other ads: even if the goal behind your website is to earn using advertising space, it is not the best thing to paste too many banners and google adsense ads. This is especially true if your site lacks content, so presenting a website that is full of only ads can make it lose a lot of credibility.
I counted at least 6 ad "areas" on that page.

glossywhite

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 28, 2008
Seems to me that page the article is on forgot about suggestion #6 in Graphic, visual and audio elements:

I counted at least 6 ad "areas" on that page.

I don't think the content of the article is relevant to the site within which it is contained, ironically :)

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I need to send this to some of the Comms people at work so that they stop telling me to put shadows on everything! Argh!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.