PDA

View Full Version : iCloud.com to Offer at Least Some of MobileMe's Web Functionality

MacRumors
Jun 13, 2011, 05:04 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/13/icloud-com-to-offer-at-least-some-of-mobilemes-web-functionality/)

While Apple's iCloud introduction at WWDC offered a lot of new information, Apple has been quiet as to exactly what this means to the future of MobileMe's web apps such as email and calendar. In fact, it took a Steve Jobs email (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/12/steve-jobs-confirms-discontinuation-of-iweb-in-icloud-transition/) to find out the fate of Apple's iWeb hosting services.

Today, ThisisMyNext (http://thisismynext.com/2011/06/13/icloud-apple-strategy-flaw/) posted a somewhat controversial clarification they received from Apple PR indicating that MobileMe's web apps will no longer be maintained come June 30th, 2012. Let’s be clear about what happens when iCloud goes live — according to what was described on stage at the event, and what I’ve confirmed with Apple PR — the service will effectively replace the current web offerings of MobileMe. That means that when the cutoff date of June 30, 2012 comes around for users, the web-based email client, calendar, contacts app, and other components of the web suite will cease to exist. But it seems that isn't the entire story. Apple has already started mirroring at least some of the existing MobileMe functionality on iCloud.com as well.

One reader was able to send themselves a Calendar invitation in iOS 5 and found themselves linked to the iCloud.com domain. The invite (pictured below) is visually identical to current MobileMe invitations but carries the iCloud branding and is hosted on the iCloud.com domain:

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/06/icloud-500x363.jpg

(http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/06/icloud.jpg)
Following this iCloud link (https://p01-www.icloud.com/calendar/eventreply/) shows an iCloud based error page in the same theme.

So, Apple does appear to be working on the web support interface for iCloud but isn't ready yet to talk about it, and at least some of the functionality appears to be based on the existing MobileMe codebase.

Article Link: iCloud.com to Offer at Least Some of MobileMe's Web Functionality (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/13/icloud-com-to-offer-at-least-some-of-mobilemes-web-functionality/)

ten-oak-druid
Jun 13, 2011, 05:10 PM
I said before that I don't accept the rumor of Apple doing away with all mobileme features.

Gallery for instance is very integrated into iOS devices including the AppleTV. It is a selling point for imovie too (especially on iOS devices).

And as for storage space for a web site and idisk, will it really overwhelm the new icloud facility to continue offering every user 20GB of space for this? I mean what is 20GB on top of an entire music and video library?

puckhead193
Jun 13, 2011, 05:16 PM
all of my personal emails are from mobile me/dot mac. Switching all my emails i get from stores, banks, people etc is going to be a pain in the butt (which is why i always renewed my dot me/mobile me account) I would like to know what is going on with the mail part.

I also like idisk. I could easily send larges file to work if the FTP wasn't working for some reason. It was so simple.

Meriana
Jun 13, 2011, 05:18 PM
That was to be expected, webmail, contacts and calendar online is a MUST today if they want to keep up with th competition.

Maybe they will even offer photogaleries, blogs withn the 5GB server space each user has.

And i still hope for mx dns records, i'd pay good cash for those.

akm3
Jun 13, 2011, 05:19 PM
all of my personal emails are from mobile me/dot mac. Switching all my emails i get from stores, banks, people etc is going to be a pain in the butt (which is why i always renewed my dot me/mobile me account) I would like to know what is going on with the mail part.

I also like idisk. I could easily send larges file to work if the FTP wasn't working for some reason. It was so simple.

Get DropBox, it's as simple to share files, and it works better than iDisk AND it works on any Windows machines you use, too.

I'll send you a PM with a referral code that will give you free extra space, too.

macse30
Jun 13, 2011, 05:20 PM
I would like to know what is going on with the mail part.

This. What happens to mobileme email accounts?

Meriana

Current iCloud beta does indicate that it'll be possible to migrate any existing MobileMe accounts to iCloud. You'll be able to use your .me/.mac emails forever for free.

juicedropsdeuce
Wait.
Who the heck is Sam Gabbay?

elppa
Jun 13, 2011, 05:21 PM
Get DropBox, it's as simple to share files, and it works better than iDisk AND it works on any Windows machines you use, too.

Dropbox works better than iDisk, agreed. But minor correction: iDisk works with Windows. You can mount it like any other drive. It's just WebDAV.

Satori
Jun 13, 2011, 05:25 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Apple have clearly stated that mobile me & dotMac addresses will remain after the switchover and be accessed through icloud.

Jeaz
Jun 13, 2011, 05:28 PM
I don't mind them dropping iDisk as it's not that great compared to Dropbox anyways, and "Documents in the cloud" will give me pretty much all I need iDisk for anyways, however not having any form of webmail of the me.com mails would be a huge drawback.

For instance, my Mrs doesn't own an iPhone or iPad, but still got a MobileMe account from our family account. She does own an iPod Touch and can read it from there, but mostly, like at work, she'll use the webmail. The webmail is really a slow and horrible mess tbh, but still better than nothing.

Also, when being abroad you'd like to avoid roaming. So, imo, removing all web versions of me.com would be a big mistake.
Sure, as long at it's still IMAP based you could do your own hosting, but still.

Dr McKay
Jun 13, 2011, 05:29 PM
So will iCloud mean there is no way to access emails via a web browser? I sometimes use my emails at work, since it looks unprofessional of me sat at my desk browsing my phone, as least with me.com I can be looking like I'm working. Or have it in another tab.

techpr
Jun 13, 2011, 05:36 PM
This. What happens to mobileme email accounts?

MobileMe Mail will work as normal in iCloud. You can use you @me.com address or open a new free @me.com one.

Canubis
Jun 13, 2011, 05:39 PM
I am so hoping for an iCloud Pro from Apple, continue charging me money and giving me the service I deserve therefor. Seriously.
My mobileme email box nowadays weighs in at 2.3 GB and my iDisk comes as nearly 10GB. How should that fit into a future free iCloud account? Plus, you definitely want to compete with Google when releasing iCloud - without a web access to my emails? Please, you're not serious about that, are you?

Here is a customer willing to give you some money. Listen to him!

Anonymous Freak
Jun 13, 2011, 05:40 PM
I can't view the video while at work - but when I watched it, it sounded VERY much like the web apps would live on as iCloud web apps. The only four that I took as "guaranteed" were the four that were just updated recently: Email, calendar, address book, and Find My (Device).

I use MobileMe gallery for a lot of sharing, and my personal website has been hosted on Apple's service since it was iTools a long time ago - the current one an iWeb design.

But, nowadays, most of my 'sharing' is on sites like Facebook, Flickr, YouTube, and the like. So I guess Apple just sees the writing on the wall that "personal websites" are effectively disappearing. But it does abandon a lot of people who have been using iTools/.Mac/MobileMe for 'hobby websites' or small business websites. (There are quite a few independent Mac software developers who still use MobileMe-hosted sites as their primary website!)

The big blow to me is that I host my personal domain's website on MobileMe, and use the iDisk integration to have a "Media" folder for random stuff I want to post to the web. (i.e. mydomain.com/Media/file.jpg ) THAT will be a loss, since I've been posting crap (to forums and the like) using that forever. Now I need to find a new cheap/free/somethingI'mAlreadyPayingFor place to host that I can use the same URL for. (Since that will break a *LOT* of old forums posts, if I can't use the same domain/URL.)

ThisIsNotMe
Jun 13, 2011, 05:42 PM
Hrm....

https://p01-www.icloud.com/applications/calendar_event_reply/en-us/1C30/source/resources/images/event_invite_icons_sprite.png

Definitely some MobileMe magic being used.

-Garry-
Jun 13, 2011, 05:44 PM
I never, for a second, thought that there *wouldn't* be a web-based e-mail app for @me.com addresses. Didn't even cross my mind.

Meriana
Jun 13, 2011, 05:44 PM
I am so hoping for an iCloud Pro from Apple, continue charging me money and giving me the service I deserve therefor. Seriously.
My mobileme email box nowadays weighs in at 2.3 GB and my iDisk comes as nearly 10GB. How should that fit into a future free iCloud account? Plus, you definitely want to compete with Google when releasing iCloud - without a web access to my emails? Please, you're not serious about that, are you?

ICloud disk space seems to be upgradable, atleast the option in IOS 5 beta already exists ( not working yet though).

Spanky Deluxe
Jun 13, 2011, 05:46 PM
I wish Apple would release some clarification on what'll happen to existing iWeb sites. Both myself and my mother-in-law-to-be use iWeb and MobileMe to host our websites and one of the reasons I got her to switch to Mac was because of how easy iWeb was to create simple good looking web presences with.

Does all of this mean that our iWeb MobileMe hosted sites will simply cease to exist come the switchover? Neither she nor I have the time to redo our websites in a clunky html editor. I thought the days of having to use the likes of Dreamweaver were behind me. :(

Sora
Jun 13, 2011, 05:48 PM

Hate dropbox the interface and usability is not as intuitive as iDisk. I got a beta invite, gave it a 1 year run, but it failed miserably.

Dropbox has yet to mature and really bake into a great cloud based service. Just my opinion.

dfs
Jun 13, 2011, 05:50 PM
I have a MobileMe account and normally don't use the Webmail alternative, but sometimes I do when I'm on the road. I don't worry much about Apple retaining it: I've read somewhere that the OS backup partition for Lion will also contain Safari so that the user can access help files, etc., and also can use Webmail until he gets his system up and running again. If true, this would imply that Apple has long-range plans for Webmail.

PsyD4Me
Jun 13, 2011, 05:53 PM
can I keep my @mac email addy? i don't need anything fresh like @iCloud

manu chao
Jun 13, 2011, 05:55 PM
Dropbox works better than iDisk, agreed. But minor correction: iDisk works with Windows. You can mount it like any other drive. It's just WebDAV.
It works 'partly', at least compared to Dropbox which caches local copies of all your files. Mounting a WebDAV volume does not automatically caches its contents locally (unless you are savvy enough to install and configure a syncing app on Windows which does this).

Hate dropbox the interface and usability is not as intuitive as iDisk. I got a beta invite, gave it a 1 year run, but it failed miserably.

What interface? There is no interface, it is just a normal folder on your computer.

I wish Apple would release some clarification on what'll happen to existing iWeb sites.
Apple has clarified this perfectly well, until July 2012, nothing changes.
Expecting any kind of assurances beyond one year for cloud services is just unrealistic. These things evolve constantly and everything is always 'subject to change'.

uk1simon
Jun 13, 2011, 05:58 PM
just a thought, I also use my alias email's for shopping, subscriptions etc. I hope I can keep these with the migration!

CrackedButter
Jun 13, 2011, 06:04 PM
I commented on the original story from thisismynext.com

I thought it would be crazy if apple DIDN'T have a web front end. Just because Apple never mentioned anything, didn't mean it wasn't going to exist. It would be such a backwards move on Apple's part considering their heritage.

The iPhone wasn't mentioned at WWDC, doesn't mean there isn't one coming out.

So while Josh does make some other interesting points in his article, I think he might have reached too far on this one.

manu chao
Jun 13, 2011, 06:09 PM
I thought it would be crazy if apple DIDN'T have a web front end. Just because Apple never mentioned anything, didn't mean it wasn't going to exist. It would be such a backwards move on Apple's part considering their heritage.

Exactly, Apple has one year before it has to have a successor ready. Whatever they announced now would look different in a year from now.

NightFox
Jun 13, 2011, 06:11 PM
This isn't difficult people! Apple couldn't have made this any more easier to find on their site if you actually go looking for it, took me less than 1 minute. But to save you all the time, from http://www.apple.com/icloud/features/contacts-calendar-mail.html:

Mail that delivers. Free.
When you set up iCloud, you get a free me.com email account. iCloud automatically pushes new email messages to all your devices, so your inbox is up to date everywhere you check it. And iCloud keeps all your folders in sync, no matter which device youre using.

jav6454
Jun 13, 2011, 06:18 PM
This isn't difficult people! Apple couldn't have made this any more easier to find on their site if you actually go looking for it, took me less than 1 minute. But to save you all the time, from http://www.apple.com/icloud/features/contacts-calendar-mail.html:

Mail that delivers. Free.
When you set up iCloud, you get a free me.com email account. iCloud automatically pushes new email messages to all your devices, so your inbox is up to date everywhere you check it. And iCloud keeps all your folders in sync, no matter which device youre using.

If you would have read the thread, you would have realized we got the answer to this.

It's what is going to happen to Photo Gallery, iDisk and other small things MobileMe has. I for one, have a high usage of iDisk.

NightFox
Jun 13, 2011, 06:26 PM
If you would have read the thread, you would have realized we got the answer to this.

It's what is going to happen to Photo Gallery, iDisk and other small things MobileMe has. I for one, have a high usage of iDisk.

Yeah, I agree about it not being good not knowing about the 'other' MM stuff - my point was more one of surprise that a lot of questions people are asking about iCloud and even getting into big discussions about on here and other forums are actually answered clearly on the Apple information pages that have been up since the announcement.

Sora
Jun 13, 2011, 06:36 PM
What interface? There is no interface, it is just a normal folder on your computer.

I was referring to the web based interface/navigation. It feels like Windows 98'ish.

Bottom line - tried it in beta, tried it for a year, don't like it.

Thats probably why no one has bought them. They aren't that much a disruptive business, and they don't really add anything new to online storage/cloud computing. Google, Apple, Microsoft, even HP have their own versions of online storage - thus there is no need to buy DropBox. They need to hire some good people to really clean things up and make it look cleaner and more intuitive to use like iDisk and really fuse it into the MacOS, because right now, it sticks out like a red headed stepchild.

Just my $0.02.

porky
Jun 13, 2011, 06:40 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; nl-nl) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

When i'm on a holiday, i upload pictures with my iPhone directly to MobileMe so that the people at home can see them. So this won't be possible anymore ?

NAG
Jun 13, 2011, 06:43 PM
It is a tad weird that Apple has said almost nothing regarding the MobileMe to iCloud transition. They cleaned up the whole "zomg, how do I get refunded?!" thing pretty quickly yet completely failed to tell us what is going to happen to things like Back to My Mac or if iDisk will exist at all or if document storage will only work inside of iCloud compatible apps or if photostream will have some sort of web interface similar to gallery (which was pretty half baked and never updated unlike the new calendar and mail webapps). I wouldn't hold your breath regarding iWeb (after ditching homepage and then not updating iWeb that is a pretty clear signal to jump ship).

garylapointe
Jun 13, 2011, 06:51 PM
I'm still sad they took away my bookmarks from the web interface of MobileMe/.Mac

It was nice, no matter where I was, I could look up a bookmark...

Gary

klittle32
Jun 13, 2011, 06:52 PM
I really hope that iCloud will sync calendar and contacts with 64-bit Outlook 2010 out of the box. Might be wishful thinking on my part, but it would make me VERY happy.

maclaptop
Jun 13, 2011, 07:03 PM

Apple does what Apple wants, this is the song the fanboys sing.

Who knows, what they are going to do (for sure), and even if they offer every feature we want, with Apples history, it may not work until they do some revisions. If your data is highly important to you, there are several months to get it into other services. That way you are not taking the huge risk iCloud version 1.0 may be.

I'm going to migrate out of mobileme in the coming weeks since I'm already using Dropbox and several other cloud services for general data. I don't put anything personal in the cloud anyway.

As far as Apple, it really doesn't matter to me whether iCloud works or not.

I'm holding fast at OS X 10.6.5 and enjoying the fact that I am in control of what I put where.

Besides I have a very complete in-house network for backups and connecting the rest of the computers in the family. Since it's not connected to the net there is nothing to worry about. I use a secured WiFi system for Web access and we are careful of just what we do when online. It's simple really.

Bathplug
Jun 13, 2011, 07:05 PM
So can I use my normal hotmail apple id email address for icloud or will I need to make a new email address?

manu chao
Jun 13, 2011, 07:13 PM
I was referring to the web based interface/navigation. It feels like Windows 98'ish.

Google, Apple, Microsoft, even HP have their own versions of online storage - thus there is no need to buy DropBox.
Why would anybody use that web-based interface?

And nobody uses Google's or Apple's or Microsoft's or HP's solution except for a few applications tapping directly into them. Almost everybody who is a heavy sharer of files (and does not have a company server including VPN) vastly prefers Dropbox to anything else.

NAG
Jun 13, 2011, 07:24 PM
So can I use my normal hotmail apple id email address for icloud or will I need to make a new email address?

The word is that you can make any AppleID/iTunes Account into an iCloud Account which will either convert the MobileMe account associated with it or give you a new @me.com email address and whatnot depending on if it was associated with a MobileMe account.

This seems likely but given the fact that most of this stuff isn't even up and running and then a large portion of what is up is under NDA I wouldn't expect 100% until Apple says so on their website.

Baldanzi
Jun 13, 2011, 07:39 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

One thing I am worried about is those of us with email only accounts through MobileMe. We have one "master" email account which happens to be our iTunes ID and then two email only addresses which are our iPhones. Our music on both of our phones (and macs at home) share the iTunes account.... But my wife and I have our own mailboxes with the email only accounts. We also have some aliases. I love the flexibility we have now. I'm a bit worried.

phytonix
Jun 13, 2011, 07:48 PM
This doesn't make sense.

If I am traveling or I am over at a friend's house or something, I cannot open my email unless I open up my iPhone?

That would be wrong. I expect to be able to open my email wherever I am, not just on my computer or my iDevices.

lilo777
Jun 13, 2011, 07:56 PM
I commented on the original story from thisismynext.com

So while Josh does make some other interesting points in his article, I think he might have reached too far on this one.

Crazy Apple? What else is new? Next move - SJ announces post WEB era. Everything should go through iOS/App Store. Period.

roocker
Jun 13, 2011, 07:59 PM
Lol. I cant believe what you are discussing about: Apple will release free iCloud services with the ios5 release in autumn '11. I bet they are just pimping what you have seen @ mobileme and replacing all logos and stuff. I think someday, there will be a Homescreen like-designed Webinterface for all kind of cloud apps. Thats what Google has done, and what Apple is going to do (just better). And there is no reason not to offer paid extra services.
As stated from Apple .me & .mobile me mail adresses can easily be moved to icloud (must be moved?!). You are only using an updated and hopefully even better web interface then.
I think the Lion Safari-only-mode is also slightly referring to a icloud-lion based stuff later.

kevin2i
Jun 13, 2011, 08:04 PM

That's like trying the 'frozen food' edition of PF Changs and saying "ate there; don't like it."

The web edition is NOT dropbox. It is a method to access dropbox files.

Dropbox sets up a folder on all computers. You can select what folders sync and are available on each computer. The files are local, then sync quickly via cloud. Files are accessible offline (then sync later).

Bottom line - tried it in beta, tried it for a year, don't like it.
. . . . Google, Apple, Microsoft, even HP have their own versions of online storage - thus there is no need to buy DropBox.

Well, 2GB is free. Correct, no need to buy it. Dropbox is not the same as online storage you mention. Similar products include SugarSync, Spyder Oak.

. . . now, it sticks out like a red headed stepchild.

Just my $0.02.

Well, try it again. Dropbox folders slip right into any system. Until then, your quote looks like the stepchild. Can't say anything bad about redheads - I am one :p

ryanalexander
Jun 13, 2011, 08:14 PM
Quick thought. You might remember Steve going on at one point about how your iCloud, and subsequently mail account, would be ad free. He even went as far to talk about how it's something they just can't morally do. This struck me as odd. They have never had ads in their native apps. Why would they even need to mention this? If they're going to store all the mail in the cloud anyways, it wouldn't cost them anymore to give you another gateway (@me.com) to get it there. I truly believe they will have a web mail service to compete with gmail. Why wouldn't they?

NAG
Jun 13, 2011, 08:20 PM

One thing I am worried about is those of us with email only accounts through MobileMe. We have one "master" email account which happens to be our iTunes ID and then two email only addresses which are our iPhones. Our music on both of our phones (and macs at home) share the iTunes account.... But my wife and I have our own mailboxes with the email only accounts. We also have some aliases. I love the flexibility we have now. I'm a bit worried.

While I can't speak with 100% certainty I think it is probably pretty safe to assume that any MobileMe account (master account or not) will be convertible to a full (free) iCloud account. It would be a tad silly if only full accounts were convertible since they were selling those email only and family accounts so hard.

mKizzo
Jun 13, 2011, 08:42 PM

Dropbox has yet to mature and really bake into a great cloud based service. Just my opinion.

What's worse is that the receiver has to sign up for an account to access any shared files. I hope some iDisk functionality remains, even if I have to pay for extra storage, would be nice to have the option.

SiPat
Jun 13, 2011, 08:47 PM
http://www.apple.com/uk/icloud/features/contacts-calendar-mail.html

Did I miss something?

My understanding is that the 5GB will be in addition to the storage of tunes, mail, contact, calendar, etc. Apple isn't going to store physical copies of the same song for everyone who buys it -- there will be just one copy of each song, with some sort of link (playlist?) for each individual purchase.

The iWeb application isn't going to disappear and will probably still run in Lion (I'm still running iMovie HD ver 6.0.4 in Snow Leopard) - just back it up before upgrading to Lion or keep SnowLeo on another HD. iWeb lets you upload to sites other than MobileMe so theoretically, there is no reason why we can't use the 5GB to host a personal website unless Apple imposes a bandwidth cap.

MattInOz
Jun 13, 2011, 08:47 PM
Exactly, Apple has one year before it has to have a successor ready. Whatever they announced now would look different in a year from now.

Exactly the problem with MobileME was never the frontend. I mean the interface for the Web apps thanks to Sproutcore was amazing. Indeed many of the web apps had "Like Native" Interfaces. Add all the work on JavaScript engines the Interface for these webapps should have been getting closer and closer to native over the next years. Add caching of those web apps locally and the vast improvement of HTML5 web browser. Then the Apple Web apps of MobileMe and iWorks.com where really good examples of what was possible.

It really seems like what was letting them down was the backend and they've said iCloud is a complete rework of the backend firstly as a syncing system.

I guess trying the WebApp Interfaces to that backend is going to take some time, a lot more time than tying that backend to Cocoa/Cocoa Touch frameworks where Apple have already established API's that can be extended to accommodate the new system.

It's funny the way they are doing it if Apple do bring out a new WebApp platform next year built on iCloud document store that includes Some of Apples own apps ready to go and a set of Developer API's it'll still seem like there was a clear break between the two even if there is no loss of function over the next year.

SuperMatt
Jun 13, 2011, 09:06 PM

They already said you'd keep your email. No worries. However, iDisk, web hosting, backup, syncing of many mac preferences, galleries, who knows...?

*LTD*
Jun 13, 2011, 09:19 PM
Until iCloud goes live, I'm having a good time using this:

http://getcloudapp.com/

I'm pretty impressed. I've got it on my Mac via the web interface, and apps for it on my iPhone and iPad.

Kane08
Jun 13, 2011, 09:24 PM

Did nobody research this before posting this article? Apple has plainly stated on it's website that the calendar feature is still supported and explicitly states that all new iCloud users will get a @me.com address (in other words, mail still supported)

Penthouse103
Jun 13, 2011, 09:31 PM
Somewhat hard to imagine Steve Jobs using DropBox especially internally at the office instead of iDisk... or some newer and improved incarnation of iDisk...

NAG
Jun 13, 2011, 09:33 PM

Did nobody research this before posting this article? Apple has plainly stated on it's website that the calendar feature is still supported and explicitly states that all new iCloud users will get a @me.com address (in other words, mail still supported)

The question is the webapps. Yeah, kind of silly to think they won't come over to iCloud after Apple just finished making the new webapps.

PCClone
Jun 13, 2011, 09:55 PM
Quick thought. You might remember Steve going on at one point about how your iCloud, and subsequently mail account, would be ad free. He even went as far to talk about how it's something they just can't morally do. This struck me as odd. They have never had ads in their native apps. Why would they even need to mention this? If they're going to store all the mail in the cloud anyways, it wouldn't cost them anymore to give you another gateway (@me.com) to get it there. I truly believe they will have a web mail service to compete with gmail. Why wouldn't they?

He mentioned it because of all the rumors that said it would be low cost or free, but would have ads.

finalcut
Jun 13, 2011, 09:56 PM
I hope this isnt true, otherwise I'll have to switch back with gmail because I need webmail on my pc job laptop

Wild-Bill
Jun 13, 2011, 10:00 PM
What about the MobileMe galleries??? I have a ton of them, and use the Gallery app to view mine and all of my friends' galleries, as well as have my gallery as a screensaver on AppleTV.

I really hope they don't do away with the gallery. It was the best part of MobileMe, for me anyway.

mambodancer
Jun 13, 2011, 10:04 PM

I'm going to go on a limb and guess that these services will NOT be discontinued but will be updated and rebranded.

I also wouldn't find it surprising that these services will be part of a PAID iCloud service subscription the way mobileme is now. In fact, I have felt over the last couple of years that wireless syncing of Calendar, Contacts, bookmarks and notes should be free for all iOS devices and that it should include a free mail account because it has been my experience that many of my clients have some difficulty remembering they need to sync manually with iTunes on a regular (daily) basis if they do not have a MobileMe account.

I'd love to see iDisk (no real need to change that name) get more of the functionality and ease of use as dropbox. I suspect that while the 5GB iCloud service will be free, users wishing to expand beyond that can pay for an upgrade.

Website hosting and the fate of iWeb is the real question as is, I think, what kind of Apple branded social/sharing services they will offer.

With the heavy emphasis on Twitter integration, one also wonders what the fate of Ping might be and, for that matter, if Apple believes Photo sharing will happen through Twitter versus it's own services. Again, I think it will be a bit of both.

When iCloud does launch, I think there will be several additional services (and Fees) that were not enumerated at WWDC. It is only June after-all which leaves us with at least 2 or 3 more product announcements and/or updates before the end of Fall if the past is any indication.

SAG3194
Jun 13, 2011, 10:04 PM
Really nice find.

Props to Sam

caspersoong
Jun 14, 2011, 12:45 AM

I'll send you a PM with a referral code that will give you free extra space, too.

I use dropbox but remembering to open my iPod touch and favoriting all my documents is driving me crazy. Documents in the Cloud would be really awesome.

Kelmon
Jun 14, 2011, 02:26 AM
While I would not really be that bothered by a lack of a web interface for Calendars or Contacts a lack of one for email would be a deal-killer. My preference, of course, would be to access email through a client application rather than a web page but at work that just isn't possible (firewall prevents connections to email servers outside the network, iPhone cannot connect to WiFi network and 3G data connection is non-existent). I migrated to Gmail from MobileMe because I needed a web-based email service and at that time MobileMe's one was driving me nuts. If iCloud does maintain a web-based interface for email then I'll give it another try and migrate back if the problems I experienced in the past (mostly constant screen refreshes that wiped out selections I'd made) have been sorted out.

antic
Jun 14, 2011, 03:57 AM
Has anyone any idea how iCloud is going to handle multiple .me email addresses
At the moment you can only register one .me address with each iTunes account.

This is no use when you have a family all using the same iTunes account

rikscha
Jun 14, 2011, 04:53 AM

Just give me iDisk and galleries. Mail calendar etc is given.

jonnysods
Jun 14, 2011, 07:26 AM
I would think that killing everyone's email accounts would be a pretty alarming move for all the people that I know and don't know who are committed to mobileme. I'm sure that Apple can't wait to get away from it!

ghostlyorb
Jun 14, 2011, 07:43 AM
I still wish iCloud could actually sync ALL my Mail accounts with each other. I hate reading a Comcast e-mail on my iPhone to show it unread on my iPad and Mac. (I'm saying this from being an existing MobileMe customer). If they add that functionality, It'll make it all that much better.

tidybowl
Jun 14, 2011, 07:49 AM
That was to be expected, webmail, contacts and calendar online is a MUST today if they want to keep up with th competition.

Since when does Apple "keep up with the competition?"

You could have said that the iMac had to have a floppy drive to "keep up with the competition".

You could have easily said that you'd have to put an FM radio and a voice recorder in the original iPod to "keep up with the competition"

Or that they'd have to give control of the iPhone to the carrier to "keep up with the competition"

Or that the iPad would have to have a full fledged version of OsX to "keep up with the competition."

I think, at this point at least, that it should be fairly obvious that Apple doesn't do stuff to "keep up with the competition."

They take an existing product - and take a unique look at it - and then make it their own way - and the way that they think will be best.

I'm sure Apple looked at all the file sharing services available out there (Dropbox, Google Docs, SkyDrive, etc.) and said - lets look at this completely different, and come up with our own take on it.

If you think about it for a minute - you can see their logic.

What's the point of being able to access a web service from your iDevice - if iCloud can do the same thing in the background - and you don't even have to think about it. Instead of having your data/files in the cloud - and you access them through the internet - you have them on your iDevice - and they get synced in the background.

Even better - you go somewhere that you don't have access to the web - and guess what - your files/data are still on your iDevice, and you're not tied to the web. Then, when you get back to civilization, your iDevice syncs wirelessly - and updates your files/data with your other iDevices.

The way it looks to me - Apple has removed the need to access the web to do these things- and does it for you in the background. End result - as long as you have your iDevice, you always have access to your files/data.

mjstew33
Jun 14, 2011, 08:59 AM
Guys, what's the confusion? Seriously.

Apple has announced a new service called iCloud which will be available this fall and free for iOS 5 and OS X Lion users. When you sign up for iCloud, you'll be able to keep your me.com or mac.com email address and move your MobileMe mail, contacts, calendars, and bookmarks to the new service.

Those of you confused about mail, Apple has already said it's being moved to the new service.

Source (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4597)

shuggy1972
Jun 14, 2011, 09:15 AM

Those of you confused about mail, Apple has already said it's being moved to the new service.

1) People are unsure if services they rely on such as iDisk and Gallery will be continued beyond the end of June next year. Apple has been largely silent on this.

2) Many people (including myself) use a shared iTunes ID (which also happens to be my mobile me email address) in order to share iTunes content, but we have SEPARATE syncing of email, cals etc to our Macs and our iOS devices through distinct mobile me addresses purchased via a Family Pack. It is not at all clear whether under iOS 5/Lion/iCloud people will continue to be able to do this - in fact, it looks like email and itunes account IDs become unified under a single iCloud ID. In effect, a single sign on for syncing mail, cals, bookmarks, songs, video, apps etc.

Of course mobile me addresses will be converted and continue to work - but the ability to maintain a separate identity for email and for iTunes is far from certain.

Wild-Bill
Jun 14, 2011, 11:15 AM
1) People are unsure if services they rely on such as iDisk and Gallery will be continued beyond the end of June next year. Apple has been largely silent on this.

That's what's troubling many, including me.

steveh
Jun 14, 2011, 12:05 PM

According to the keynote description, your email address(es) roll over directly from MobileMe to iCloud when you sign up for iCloud.

niallstarling
Jun 14, 2011, 01:55 PM
Just watched the podcast tonight and noticed a couple of things I found little odd:

- no more MobileMe. So why are new addresses still going to be .me (not just current taken over, but newly created), seems like an odd legacy to continue.

- Also Steve Jobs was talking about the 3 core items of MobileMe (mail, calendars and contacts) when he said these under MobileMe will no longer exist. Maybe the others will continue, perhaps as paid extras, i.e. hope for Galleries? Assume Find My (Device) continues. Probably not iWeb (given lack of recent updates).

- When Steve was introducing Photo Stream also working on Apple tv, directly under that link was one for MobileMe. Could just be legacy, but if that really was an update, wouldn't MobileMe have gone? Or is that just because of this one year lap over...? Either way, odd still to show it when you just said it gone.

- iCloud syncs to All iOS devices - although Apple TV wasn't mentioned, except for Photo Stream. Coming or always tied to a Mac (which is updated by iCloud)?

Or have I got things wrong and should just continue with this bottle of wine...

Antares
Jun 14, 2011, 03:44 PM

That says "address." What I'm concerned about are the 5 aliases that we were allowed. Does the transition to icloud mean that we will now each theoretically have a maximum of 15 e-mail addresses?

Right now, I have one main @mac.com e-mail address along with 5 @mac.com e-mail aliases. With the MobileMe introduction, I still have all of those in addition to the same names with an @me.com address. With icloud, do I get to keep all of those and add @icloud.com email address?

So, 5 email addresses each with an @mac.com, @me.com and @icloud.com address? I'm concered about the singular, term "address." I would rather use one of my aliases than my main account e-mail address (if aliases are no longer supported, for whatever reason).

satcomer
Jun 14, 2011, 04:10 PM
To me apple has done a poor job relaying the transition of current MobileMe subscribers to the iCloud. that just theSupport document Information about the MobileMe transition (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4597).

All the information (and misinformation) that blogs and such have given out. Apple needs to do good by the people who stuck MobileMe out with them.

BaddaBing
Jun 14, 2011, 09:24 PM
anyone know if our MobileMe emails will change from xxxx@me.com to something else? Please don't make the suffix xxxx@icloud.com.

pjhamill
Jun 15, 2011, 08:42 AM
anyone know if our MobileMe emails will change from xxxx@me.com to something else? Please don't make the suffix xxxx@icloud.com.

No they won't change, you will be able to use your existing "@me" address or old "@mac" address. There is no "icloud.com" address.