PDA

View Full Version : Apple's Back to School Promo Launching Wednesday With $100 iTunes Gift Cards?

Pages : [1] 2 3

MacRumors
Jun 13, 2011, 10:24 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/13/apples-back-to-school-promo-launching-wednesday/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/06/itunes_music_card_100.jpg

Following a couple of missed rumored launch dates, a report (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/12/back-to-school-promotion-to-finally-launch-on-wednesday/) surfaced over the weekend indicating that Apple will finally be launching its annual Back to School promotion this Wednesday. A new report (http://www.9to5mac.com/71889/apples-back-to-school-promo-starts-this-week-no-free-ipod-100-itunes-card-instead/) from 9 to 5 Mac corroborates that claim and adds a new wrinkle -- instead of a free iPod as in years past, Apple will be offering $100 iTunes gift cards to education customers purchasing new Macs.In year's past, Apple's Back to School promotion offered students their usual educational discount plus a free iPod with any purchase of a Mac. This year, 9to5Mac has been told, will be very different. In fact, Apple will not be offering free iPods during this promotion but will instead offer a $100 iTunes gift card.Such an offer will likely be a letdown for a number of users who have been holding out on Mac purchases in hopes of picking up a free iPod. The free iPod offer has typically been good for the low-end iPod touch, which usually comes in in the $200-$230 range, meaning that this year's offer would contain considerably less value and be for media rather than hardware.

Article Link: Apple's Back to School Promo Launching Wednesday With $100 iTunes Gift Cards? (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/13/apples-back-to-school-promo-launching-wednesday/)

eXistance360
Jun 13, 2011, 10:27 PM
this better be false, or else apple is getting ****ing greedy.

EDIT*

Give us a Apple Gift Card, give us just a greater price slash to the product. Don't give us a useless Itunes gift card that just benefits apple. This is ridiculous and if true I will be waiting for an Asus UX21 instead of buying a macbook air.

Oh, and try 200 credit, not 100. What a joke..

mattwolfmatt
Jun 13, 2011, 10:28 PM
Eh, I'm okay with it. Ebay can only handle so many "unopened, received as a gift but I didn't need it" 8GB ipod touches.

Freyqq
considering that microsoft is giving free xbox 360s to students starting this year, it makes little sense for apple to decide to now stop their free ipod program. It's not like they're running low on $ or anything.

LillieDesigns
Hmmm I was hoping they upgraded to an iPad, not downgraded to a $100 gift card...

chainprayer
Jun 13, 2011, 10:29 PM
tradition fail.

commander.data
Jun 13, 2011, 10:29 PM
I don't suppose they could give the option of an Apple Gift Card of equivalent value instead of an iTunes Gift Card?

Hmmm I was hoping they upgraded to an iPad, not downgraded to a $100 gift card...
Given the supposed introduction of unlocked iPhones on Wednesday coincident with the rumoured launch of the Back to School sale, I thought it would be extended to unlocked iPhones.

jav6454
Jun 13, 2011, 10:31 PM
Apple should really offer that $200 incentive towards iPads... it would offer competition vs the free XBox for $700+ PCs...

usersince86
Hope this isn't true.

Seems especially lame with MS offering an XBox 360.

Wow.

DaGreat01
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Everything seems to be happening on Wednesday.

Poor Wednesday, it must be stressed with all the expectations.

iRobby
Jun 13, 2011, 10:32 PM
wtf!!!

please be a lie!!!

DipDog3
Jun 13, 2011, 10:33 PM
Even the free Xbox is worth $200 and there you only have to buy a $699 windows laptop.

I was really hoping for an iPad discount, don't really need an iPod Touch.

Dr Kevorkian94
Jun 13, 2011, 10:33 PM
Maby if this is true then they won't be updating the iPod touch this September either. Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought it was just a way to get rid of the stocks of iPods for the release in September, but if this is true then they are not doing that. But then again just speculating

Beaverman3001
Jun 13, 2011, 10:35 PM
Sucks, but wouldn't be surprising. Either way something extra is nice. For those calling Apple greedy, seriously? They are a business, they make money, its what they do. Be happy with your extra 100$ gift card and **** cry babies.

mobilehaathi
Jun 13, 2011, 10:36 PM
This would blow.

stevemiller
ha. haha. h...*weeps*

DaGreat01
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Now that I think about it, why would they do this promo now? Didn't school just let out a few weeks ago. (just now letting out in the north)

rcjh22
Jun 13, 2011, 10:37 PM
I lose a lot of respect for Apple if this is true.
Microsoft is giving an Xbox 360 and all Apple gives is a crappy little ITUNES gift card?!

blazinz
This really sux for students.. And .Kinda kills the deal

OceanView
Please NO!!
I don't need no stinking iTunes card.

auero
I'm not surprised. Usually when apple does this its also to clear their inventory of iPods. Then traditionally a few months later a new model is released. This however would obviously be changed if Apple is pushing back the next iPhone revision.

eXistance360
Jun 13, 2011, 10:38 PM

Now that I think about it, why would they do this promo now? Didn't school just let out a few weeks ago. (just now letting out in the north)

Not for college/university students, whom of which this program is aimed at.

smartalic34
Jun 13, 2011, 10:38 PM
I truly hope this isn't true. I've been dying to get an iPod touch and this was the perfect opportunity - new 13" MBP + iPod... but it seems it might not happen now. I guess I'll use the $100 gift card on Mac Apps... :(

Surely
Jun 13, 2011, 10:39 PM
considering that microsoft is giving free xbox 360s to students starting this year, it makes little sense for apple to decide to now stop their free ipod program. It's not like they're running low on $ or anything.

Good point. Seems strange.

It makes more sense for Apple to give away the iPod so that people will buy content from the App & iTunes stores.

They always start their BTS program in the summer.

AndrewR23
Jun 13, 2011, 10:41 PM
Wow...Im keeping my macbook now. Was gonna sell it and upgrade to a new mac and get an iPod.

Was gonna get the SGS2 and iPod with a new MacBook.

Oh well.

PorterRocks
It's honestly no big deal for me. I would have just sold the iPod anyway to get some of my money back on my shiny new Mac. $100 iTunes gift card would be just as great.

usersince86
If this is true, Apple should offer $100 off instead.

No, they won't, but should.

darnovo
I have been waiting to purchase a new Mac for school for this promotion... if this is the case, I will NOT buy one... Apple already charges a ton, gives very MINUTE discounts for students and holidays, and will do something less than it did before?

jazzmaster777
Jun 13, 2011, 10:42 PM
Hope this is not true because its a pretty bad promotion compared to MS

AbyssImpact
Jun 13, 2011, 10:43 PM
What the hell is the point of itunes gift card anyways? Renting movies? We have netflix for that thankyou.

KylePowers
Jun 13, 2011, 10:44 PM
UGH. Gee, thanks Apple, now I'm gonna have to earn some more money bashing baby seals. See what you make me do Apple? You think this makes me feel good about myself? Shame on you. Sham. On. You.

usersince86
Jun 13, 2011, 10:45 PM
Hey, gotta pay for this somehow...
:rolleyes:

ozyr
Jun 13, 2011, 10:45 PM
Wasn't planning on any upgrade myself, but a friend and sister are. Was looking forward to the 'usual' deal, but this honestly bites. JMJO. :(

iNeedToDoHw
Jun 13, 2011, 10:46 PM
all i can say is FFFFFFF

this better be just a rumor

Richdmoore
Jun 13, 2011, 10:47 PM
I would prefer the new iPod, but overall it's fine with me. After all, it can be used for purchases from the mac app store as well as the itunes and iphone app store....

thomashw
I was planning on a new Macbook Air. Not anymore if this is the case.

Combat Rock
This is a joke. Buying the MBP I want through the Apple store is around $1200 with tax and only $1130 through Amazon. If this is true then Im better off buying through Amazon and getting to choose what I do with the $100 instead wasting it on the iTunes store...

cloroxbleach4
Jun 13, 2011, 10:48 PM
Good thing I didn't wait for this crap.

wordoflife
Jun 13, 2011, 10:49 PM
That's disappointing, but its free stuff anyways ... right? :o

Mak47
Jun 13, 2011, 10:50 PM
This kind of promo makes perfect sense. I wouldn't be surprised to see prices on some of these refreshes come down a bit either.

First, it makes absolutely no sense for Apple to include a massive discount on a wildly popular product like the iPad. They can't keep them in stock as it is, if they added them to the B2S promo it would be an instant disaster.

The iPod touch promo was cool, but I really don't think it helped them sell any extra Macs. It just made people wait to buy their Mac, then I'm sure sales of iPod touches dropped because of all of them being available on ebay and craigslist for way below retail.

With Apple being so software focused lately, this is a great promo. A $100 credit on your iTunes account can be used for all sorts of stuff, books, apps, music whatever. It'll work in the Mac App Store too, so now people can get the apps they want (iWork, Aperture etc.) and not have to pay for them.

If this rumor is true, it will be a nice thank you to developers as well. They're the ones who stand to gain from a promo like this. Apple might retain a commission on the app sale, but it's money they gave away. This will amount to millions of dollars being spent in the App Store and on iTunes and will encourage developers to keep bringing good stuff to market.

A free iPod touch is a cool thing, but now that everybody's already got one, or an iPhone, or an iPad etc. it's kind of played out.

aznkid25
Could this mean that Apple could be discontinuing the ipod touch in September, when their ipod event usually is? Instead, they could release an iphone mini, or a cheaper iphone that is compatible with any carrier. Doesn't sound like a good idea, but it does make some sense, as to why there wouldn't be any free ipod.

miamialley
If I were in the market for both a computer and a gaming console I'd buy a PC. And I love my Mac. Gotta do better than this Apple.

KFujiwara
Jun 13, 2011, 10:51 PM
Like others have mentioned, the free card could go towards the Mac App store for applications like the iWorks suite. You would still have $40 left over to go towards more productivity applications and games for that new computer or maybe apps and content for existing iOS devices.

chrono1081
Jun 13, 2011, 10:52 PM

EDIT*

Give us a Apple Gift Card, give us just a greater price slash to the product. Don't give us a useless Itunes gift card that just benefits apple. This is ridiculous and if true I will be waiting for an Asus UX21 instead of buying a macbook air.

Being a bit dramatic aren't we?

garylapointe
Jun 13, 2011, 10:53 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/534.32 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Bummer. Was hoping for iPod touch or rebat for my ipad 2.

Still, a new white MacBook and I'm in...

ten-oak-druid
Jun 13, 2011, 10:55 PM
A gift card + 1 year of mobileme!

applesith
Jun 13, 2011, 10:57 PM
Lame!!!!

isn't MS giving away Xbox 360s with select systems?

nagromme
Jun 13, 2011, 10:57 PM
A lot of people probably already have an iOS device (or more!) and don’t yet have a Mac. Offering at least the option of something else makes sense.

I have been waiting to purchase a new Mac for school for this promotion... if this is the case, I will NOT buy one... Apple already charges a ton, gives very MINUTE discounts for students and holidays, and will do something less than it did before?

Apple sells no bottom-end computers (though the iPad serves that market). They offer mid- and high-end machines with good performance, a long service life (meaning fewer computers you have to buy) and excellent resale value (not to mention lower support/maintenance cost in both time and money, and outstanding yet low-cost OS releases).

If you compare their machines with TRULY comparable Windows machines (don’t just cherry pick a couple specs, but look at everything from the software bundle on up to the lighted keys, the metal casing, and the viewable angle), Macs are right in the same price range as other name-brand makers; even cheaper sometimes. There is no way that most current Macs cost a “ton” if you look at truly similar Windows PCs, that have been tricked out to match as closely as possible.

So any discount on top of that IS a good deal, and you won’t get a better computer anywhere else.

Surely
Jun 13, 2011, 10:58 PM
Could this mean that Apple could be discontinuing the ipod touch in September, when their ipod event usually is? Instead, they could release an iphone mini, or a cheaper iphone that is compatible with any carrier. Doesn't sound like a good idea, but it does make some sense, as to why there wouldn't be any free ipod.

No. No it doesn't.

PorterRocks
Jun 13, 2011, 11:00 PM
A gift card + 1 year of mobileme!

You're joking, right? Have you heard about iCloud and the demise of mobileme?

smartalic34
Jun 13, 2011, 11:00 PM
You know, this rumor correlates perfectly with that rumor about unlocked iPhones: http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/11/new-macbook-air-due-this-wednesday/

Apple starts selling unlocked iPhones, which can be used as iPod touches if you don't sign up for phone service, and you don't need to sell iPods anymore (hence no iPod promotion)...

edit: after seeing http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/13/apple-to-offer-unlocked-u-s-iphone-4s-starting-at-649/ maybe Apple won't discontinue the iPod Touch line after all... $649 is a pretty steep increase from $229...

reallynotnick
Jun 13, 2011, 11:02 PM
This is a joke. Buying the MBP I want through the Apple store is around $1200 with tax and only $1130 through Amazon. If this is true then Im better off buying through Amazon and getting to choose what I do with the $100 instead wasting it on the iTunes store...

The MBP is $1099 (plus tax) educational on Apple actually but yeah it's a pretty close call if the $100 GC turns out to be true. I remember selling my iPod Touch for $180 plus they had a free $100 printer deal going on at the time when I bought 2 years ago, was a pretty nice deal.

You know, this rumor correlates perfectly with that rumor about unlocked iPhones: http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/11/new-macbook-air-due-this-wednesday/

Apple starts selling unlocked iPhones, which can be used as iPod touches if you don't sign up for phone service, and you don't need to sell iPods anymore (hence no iPod promotion)...

The iPod Touch has always been thinner and had a larger capacity for storage. I don't really see Apple replacing the Touch with unlocked iPhones and if they did then the iPhones would have to be free on contract if they were going to match the ~$200 price of a low end iPod Touch.

bushman4
Promo which offers people what they don't want is worthless!
$100 Itunes Card not exactly what the majority of the people want.
Some will argue that its better than nothing, others will say its an insult.
My take is that hopefully this only a rumor and will not prove to be true.

Combat Rock
They better not be putting up promotional material in their window displays for this. Huge fail

Hueyfreeman
Jun 13, 2011, 11:03 PM
Dear apple,

Microsoft is offering consoles with student computer purchases, you offer students a hundred doller gift card. FYI a lot college students pirate music. Food, books, condoms, and beer are more important then buying music.

shanmugam
Jun 13, 2011, 11:03 PM
Billions not enough!

I hope it is $200 gift card which can be used against any iPhones/iPad/iPod touch,

IMHO, come september iPod touch will be replaced by iPhone 4, iPhone mini...

kny3twalker
Jun 13, 2011, 11:04 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_7 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E303 Safari/6533.18.5)

This is a terrible promotion honestly. I guess it will make Microsoft and the hardware companies happy though.

osx11
You'll need a third of the gift card to upgrade to lion.

And I'm sure in the VERY near future, all apple software will be sold exclusively in the Mac App Store.

----- hence the iTunes gift card.

If only they incorporate an apple store into iTunes.......

42streetsdown

Apple really doesn't charge a ton. they're computers are a tad pricey, but they are competitive. a dell with similar specs to the base MBP costs $1000 plus that runs windows yuck.

42streetsdown
Jun 13, 2011, 11:05 PM
You'll need a third of the gift card to upgrade to lion.

And I'm sure in the VERY near future, all apple software will be sold exclusively in the Mac App Store.

----- hence the iTunes gift card.

If only they incorporate an apple store into iTunes.......

except if you buy now you'll get lion free.

Peteman100
Very disappointing...

iRobby
Wow...Im keeping my macbook now. Was gonna sell it and upgrade to a new mac and get an iPod.

Was gonna get the SGS2 and iPod with a new MacBook.

Oh well.

I was planning on a new Macbook Air. Not anymore if this is the case.

Why are so many people dissing buying a new computer just because they don't get a $200.00 gadget free. The value of the computer is the same and will still meet your needs.

The way these people talking is like they were buying an iPod to get a Mac instead of vice versa. - no iPod then no Mac shouldn't it be the other way. the motive being getting a Mac and as a plus get the iPod instead of the iPod being the motive to buy a computer?

42streetsdown
Jun 13, 2011, 11:06 PM
This'll be sad if it's true. i wanted to give the iPod to my mom.

ChrisA
Jun 13, 2011, 11:06 PM
I wonder what a $100 iTunes card cost Apple. Got to be close to zero. This is worse even to a $100 Apple gift card, at least that could be used to buy a real product that you own. The iTunes card is just the right to down load some data files.

kny3twalker
Jun 13, 2011, 11:09 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_7 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E303 Safari/6533.18.5)

Apple really doesn't charge a ton. they're computers are a tad pricey, but they are competitive. a dell with similar specs to the base MBP costs $1000 plus that runs windows yuck.

Only high end gaming laptops or high end business grade laptops even begin to come close to the prices for macs. I love mine but the student discount and free iPod made a difference when it came time to buy and I was comparing it to a thinkpad and latitude.

john1620b
Jun 13, 2011, 11:11 PM
Of course! The one year I'm able to take advantage of the back-to-school promo, they reduce the value...

Figures.

Dingado
Jun 13, 2011, 11:14 PM
Are you serious?

I was about to buy my first Macbook Pro and hoping to get the iPod Touch along with it.. I might as well just go with a refurbished now.. Dang :/

I really hope it's just a rumor.. But it wouldn't surprise me if it wasn't.

AidenShaw
Jun 13, 2011, 11:14 PM
If you compare their machines with TRULY comparable Windows machines (donít just cherry pick a couple specs, but look at everything from the software bundle on up to the lighted keys, the metal casing, and the viewable angle), Macs are right in the same price range as other name-brand makers; even cheaper sometimes.

And, a Maserati Biturbo is competitively priced to other twin turbo automobiles.

The fallacy with "TRULY comparable Windows machines" is to assume that the buyer is interested in all of the features that are bundled with the Apple. What good is Thunderbolt - you can't even buy a Thunderbolt device?

People looking for a basic system are happy with the Windows box, and have *no* interest in paying extra for stuff in the "premium" Apple package.

Ivabign
Jun 13, 2011, 11:16 PM
Well I don't know about this.... I have a 13" MBP and just bought my wife a Toshiba 15.6 with 4GB Sandy Bridge i5 and a 500gb hard drive for 699. Now I know it isn't the same computer even if has the same specs... But I got an xbox for free and sold an old Toshiba laptop for 350. So this new computer cost me 149.00 total (amazon - free shipping - no tax)

Pretty good for a stinky Wndows PC...

But I was hoping for an iMac with the discountplus the iPod plus the printer...

Some of us are on a tight budget...

100 on iTunes doesn't quite cut it.

I just have to save a little longer.

iRobby
Jun 13, 2011, 11:18 PM
Are you serious?

I was about to buy my first Macbook Pro and hoping to get the iPod Touch along with it.. I might as well just go with a refurbished now.. Dang :/

I really hope it's just a rumor.. But it wouldn't surprise me if it wasn't.

Sounds like finances is the reason you upset however, you still would have had to lay out the money for the iPod and get the rebate in the mail so if you were willing to put out all that cash in the first place why are you settling for the refurbished all because of a no iPod?

syedhussain
Jun 13, 2011, 11:19 PM
me vs. apple store expert, (im playing dumb)

You are chatting with Kaleb B, an Apple Expert

Hi, my name is Kaleb B. Welcome to Apple!

Welcome to Apple Online Chat! How can I help you with the Online Store?

What is this nonsense that i am hearing about the back to school promo? You arent giving away free ipods anymore, but you are giving away $100 itunes gift cards instead? What is this world coming to?

I would be happy to help you out with this issue.

Just to clarify, Apple does not comment or speculate on rumors about decisions, products, programs, or promotions that are not officially announced. We learn about new products and price changes when Apple makes formal public announcements, and not before.

Apple has made an announcement that they will change some things in the Apple store on Teusday night, correct?

I haven't heard anything about those changes, we will know when they happen on the store.

oh, so there hasnt been any official announcement on Back To School?

Yes, that is correct.

gotcha, thanks

Cheerwino
Jun 13, 2011, 11:19 PM
Some of you folks must be doing post-grad work in whining.

NinjaHERO
Jun 13, 2011, 11:20 PM
It's still nice of them to offer anything free. Would be better if it was an apple gift card rather than an itunes card. That way you could just use it towards anything else in the store.

Tower-Union
Jun 13, 2011, 11:21 PM
Mmmm yes, more, MORE! I feed off your misery. Macrumor's users never fail to deliver on the entitled wailing and gnashing of teeth!

Especially this little gem. Mmmm its like they opened the buffet with the choicest of pain. . .

EDIT*

Of course then this turd has to come along and pour COMMON SENSE all over everything. Pffft. Way to ruin the banquet!

Why are so many people dissing buying a new computer just because they don't get a $200.00 gadget free. The value of the computer is the same and will still meet your needs.

The way these people talking is like they were buying an iPod to get a Mac instead of vice versa. - no iPod then no Mac shouldn't it be the other way. the motive being getting a Mac and as a plus get the iPod instead of the iPod being the motive to buy a computer?

:D

pruhawk
Jun 13, 2011, 11:22 PM
"The cake is a lie."

If true, so disappointing. Not much of a useful promotion for most. A $100 apple card that could be used to lower the price of the purchase - deal.

paul4339
Jun 13, 2011, 11:24 PM
I think they're giving out free itunes cards to Mac buyers to popularize the MacApp store.

They probably want people to get used buying all their software from MacApp store (as opposed to Bestbuy or Amazon's mac software store) so that they can control the entire ecosystem.

I think I'd prefer if they gave out AppleTV's (that's about $100, and it gets them into people's living room's) with perhaps an $25 iTunes card to get people used to renting movies/shows on their hardware.

iRobby
Jun 13, 2011, 11:26 PM
Mmmm yes, more, MORE! I feed off your misery. Macrumor's users never fail to deliver on the entitled wailing and gnashing of teeth!

Especially this little gem. Mmmm its like they opened the buffet with the choicest of pain. . .

Of course then this turd has to come along and pour COMMON SENSE all over everything. Pffft. Way to ruin the banquet!

I take that as a term of endearment thank you letting me know I'm not the only one with a level head

aqmix
Jun 13, 2011, 11:27 PM
Waaah, waah. Cripes, people. They're discounting the machines for students already and throwing in $100 of additional value, when they really don't have to do squat. As for the free Xbox deal, do for it dude. Enjoy your Windows 7 (or is it 8 now?) piece of crap that you'll need to replace in 18 months. Now, as an AAPL investor, my concern lies with the distinct lack of exciting new innovative products since Steve Jobs went on leave-of-absence-2. Ipad2 was a home run, but it looks like the next iPhone will be a yawner and perhaps there's nothing exciting brewing in iPod land (hence no reason to offer an enticement to move soon-to-be-old merchandise). WIthout constant innovation, this isn't a $350 stock.

Finis.

cameronjpu
Jun 13, 2011, 11:28 PM

I lose a lot of respect for Apple if this is true.
Microsoft is giving an Xbox 360 and all Apple gives is a crappy little ITUNES gift card?!

You must be a joy on Christmas morning

ArtOfWarfare
I had been considering buying a MBP + iPad for school if they'd slash the price of the iPad in half... if this comes true I'll just stick with my 4 year old iMac and get an iPad.

syedhussain
Waaah, waah. Cripes, people. They're discounting the machines for students already and throwing in $100 of additional value, when they really don't have to do squat. As for the free Xbox deal, do for it dude. Enjoy your Windows 7 (or is it 8 now?) piece of crap that you'll need to replace in 18 months. Now, as an AAPL investor, my concern lies with the distinct lack of exciting new innovative products since Steve Jobs went on leave-of-absence-2. Ipad2 was a home run, but it looks like the next iPhone will be a yawner and perhaps there's nothing exciting brewing in iPod land (hence no reason to offer an enticement to move soon-to-be-old merchandise). WIthout constant innovation, this isn't a $350 stock.

Finis.

Would you mind me asking when you initially invested in AAPL, and then I will tell you if you are an idiot or an AAPL Genius, no pun intended.

ZipZapRap
A rather big pet hate of mine:

Adding question marks to statements in an attempt to ask a question.

e.g.
"Apple's Back to School Promo Launching Wednesday With $100 iTunes Gift Cards?"

Are you asking a question, or making a statement?

If you're asking a question, rephrase it. If you're making a statement, remove the question mark.

Calbretto
Jun 13, 2011, 11:29 PM
Wow. I had my fingers crossed for a discounted iPad or free iPod touch... but a freaking iTunes card? I have no use for that.

slieu92
Jun 13, 2011, 11:30 PM
**** it, buy from amazon, no tax.

aqmix
Jun 13, 2011, 11:30 PM
'07 mostly, though I've traded it quite a bit. My basis is in the 50s.

syedhussain
Jun 13, 2011, 11:31 PM

but no free printer and no student discount and no $100 card that you could probably sell.

syedhussain
Jun 13, 2011, 11:32 PM
'07 mostly, though I've traded it quite a bit. My basis is in the 50s.

Smart move, really. I think anyone who got on before 09 did well for themselves.

Tower-Union
Jun 13, 2011, 11:33 PM
Would you mind me asking when you initially invested in AAPL, and then I will tell you if you are an idiot or an AAPL Genius, no pun intended.

An overvalued stock can always become more overvalued. I bought in at ~225 and people were shrieking that it was grossly overpriced. Cashed out at ~335 and laughed all the way to the bank. No reason it couldn't soar up over 400.

syedhussain
Jun 13, 2011, 11:34 PM
An overvalued stock can always become more overvalued. I bought in at ~225 and people were shrieking that it was grossly overpriced. Cashed out at ~335 and laughed all the way to the bank. No reason it couldn't soar up over 400.

Buy in 06 sell right before 09, buy in 09 keep or sell in 2011 and BE RICH

JRG1392
A rather big pet hate of mine:

Adding question marks to statements in an attempt to ask a question.

e.g.
"Apple's Back to School Promo Launching Wednesday With $100 iTunes Gift Cards?"

Are you asking a question, or making a statement?

If you're asking a question, rephrase it. If you're making a statement, remove the question mark.

That's funny but it's not taking away the extreme anger that I'm feeling right now. How dare they, I know I sound like a spoiled kid but I don't care.
My friends spent half the amount of money that I did and they got an Xbox.
I was hoping they were going to compete and offer a discounted iPad. They're just admitting defeat. A friend of mine has already jumped ship. The reason that Macbooks have become the "college" laptop isn't because they're so much better, it's because of the extras like the printer and the iPod.

Combat Rock
but no free printer and no student discount and no $100 card that you could probably sell.

The printers they give are usually ink sucking pieces of crap and the amazon prices are already at student discount prices PLUS no tax

Epic Xbox Revie
Jun 13, 2011, 11:35 PM
Glad I bought my new MBP on Amazon with no tax. Got a good deal, got a cheap RAM upgrade, didn't have to wait, and am still getting Lion for free even though i've had it for 3 weeks. Thanks Apple. Love ya.:rolleyes:

donlphi
Jun 13, 2011, 11:36 PM
What if this is a promo for iPads, not macs? So free $100 gift card with iPads and free iPods with Macs.

Anything is possible with Apple.

Hueyfreeman
Jun 13, 2011, 11:36 PM
Apple does charge a premium for its hardware. But you are buying the right to use OS X. Yes you can get a windows based computer that is faster, built better, has hdmi built into it, blu-ray drive,a gaming level video card and at cheaper price but that computer will lack the ability to run OS X.

trecker
Jun 13, 2011, 11:37 PM
Do you want a Mac, with all the good things you've become accustom to, or are you going to settle for a pc because you won't be getting a free iPod?
Kind of a silly question isn't it?
A newbie here, but a Mac user for 10 years. iMac, MBP, 2 iPods, iPod Touch

Surely
Jun 13, 2011, 11:37 PM

Technically, you're supposed to declare the purchase and pay the sales tax when you file your state income taxes.;)

iRobby
Jun 13, 2011, 11:38 PM
I still cannot believe people on this thread are actually basing a major investment in a computer on a measley $200.00 gadget

syedhussain
Jun 13, 2011, 11:39 PM
The printers they give are usually ink sucking pieces of crap and the amazon prices are already at student discount prices PLUS no tax

Apple MacBook Pro MC724LL/A 13.3-Inch Laptop
amazon is quoting me $1,418.83
apple is quoting me #1,483.94 EDU PRICE with a free printer (even though its trash) and $100 gift card which i could sell off.

IF i buy from amazon, will i get lion free

iRobby
Jun 13, 2011, 11:43 PM
apple is quoting me #1,483.94 EDU PRICE with a free printer (even though its trash) and $100 gift card which i could sell off.

well when you buy amazon don't be coming on here bitching how expensive the software on the Mac App store is when you could have a $100.00 credit!

celo48
Jun 13, 2011, 11:43 PM
Eh, I'm okay with it. Ebay can only handle so many "unopened, received as a gift but I didn't need it" 8GB ipod touches.

Do you think it will be different for the iTunes card?

jacobo007
Jun 13, 2011, 11:45 PM
Wow at the no iPod no buy people, your purchase decision was based on wether or not you would get a free iPod?

So, you get a discount on your Mac (which you say is too small), additionally you get a gift (which youy say is to small) and demand an iPod which you are probably going to sell anyways to get MONEY and you call Apple greedy?... look in the mirror please...

Do you know Apple does not even have a back to school promo in many countries?, maybe this can be a more universal promotion and i bet you those people would be very happy for this shi**y gift...

syedhussain
Jun 13, 2011, 11:45 PM
well when you buy amazon don't be coming on here bitching how expensive the software on the Mac App store is when you could have a $100.00 credit!

who said I was gonna buy from Amazon?

Surely
Jun 13, 2011, 11:46 PM
I still cannot believe people on this thread are actually basing a major investment in a computer on a measley $200.00 gadget

Stop with the giant font. No one cares about what you're saying.

brsboarder
Jun 13, 2011, 11:46 PM
well, there goes my desire to buy a new computer

budafied
Jun 13, 2011, 11:47 PM
Apple does charge a premium for its hardware. But you are buying the right to use OS X. Yes you can get a windows based computer that is faster, built better, has hdmi built into it, blu-ray drive,a gaming level video card and at cheaper price but that computer will lack the ability to run OS X.

Not always ;)

macduke
Jun 13, 2011, 11:48 PM
Well now I don't feel so bad that I went ahead and bought my ThunderBook right after they came out. I was going to wait until the summer and give the iPod Touch to my wife, but instead got her one for cheap on Craigslist. The extra horsepower of my new system really helped during finals a few weeks ago. My previous system would have died with 9600px wide graphic files and everything else going on.

So I wonder what this says about the fall updates? No new iPhone yet, no iPod Touch giveaway to clear inventory. I have a feeling there are some big hardware surprises coming around the time of iOS 5 launch this autumn.

iRobby
Jun 13, 2011, 11:48 PM
who said I was gonna buy from Amazon?

budafied
Jun 13, 2011, 11:49 PM
Why would they change the promo from what they did in Japan? The BTS in Japan ended like 2 weeks ago, and they all got free ipod touches. Why not in America?

canucksfan88
Jun 13, 2011, 11:50 PM
at the end of the day, this decision if it turns out to be true, is pure business. apple knows regardless of what their promotion is, people/students will buy their product. buyers still get a promo item, but this way, it increases their bottom line even more.

why give away an ipod when you can give away a $100 gift card? they lose less money this way, and it could further promote iCloud

ThirtyThr33
Jun 13, 2011, 11:52 PM
Wow... Way to crush my dreams Apple. I'm buying my first macbook and can't afford it without the $100 student discount and the free iPod (in which I was planning on selling to help pay for my macbook pro). I was a huge Microsoft fanboy until this summer and now you're pulling a Microsoft-like move.

And to the people who say they have the right to take away this to make more profit: Apple is one of the most successful companies in the world, this will only make them a small percentage of profit by cutting iPods, but to the average joe like me they're cutting a lot more. You'd think a company with such a loyal customer base would treat it's loyalists better than most billion dollar companies.

jacobo007
Jun 13, 2011, 11:52 PM

Yeah, i seriously donīt get it

JRG1392
Jun 13, 2011, 11:55 PM
All of you who are complaining that we're greedy and spoiled - GO AWAY. Apple has offered the same promotion for years running, I'm finally up to go to college and buy a computer and the promotion is worth less then half the amount than in the past. I shouldn't be attacked for being disappointed, this is a valid reason to be sad.

But I still don't buy it, I think Apple is smarter than this.

cassians
Jun 13, 2011, 11:58 PM
Why would they change the promo from what they did in Japan? The BTS in Japan ended like 2 weeks ago, and they all got free ipod touches. Why not in America?

So true. It wouldn't make sense for Apple just to change the promotions while moving across the pond. I'm seriously doubting this is going to be the case. Apple has seen their revenue skyrocket higher and higher every year with thie BtS promotion. The margin on the Mac's are so great, that they can offer this and the free iPod and still make lots of money. I also think that 5-20% of people don't submit their free iPod rebate forms. I know that BestBuy and FutureShop love these mail in rebates because lots of people just keep thinking "Oh I'll get on that" and before you know it it's too late.

Highly doubt Apple will change this promotion to this $100 gift card business.

Leddy
Jun 13, 2011, 11:59 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Man, Apple totally sucks! I can't believe they are giving away FREE gift cards. Now those gift cards I've bought for my Granny will be devalued and she'll think I'm some cheap arse. Don't get me started on those iPod touches either - last time I gave one to my brother he smashed it in front of me then gave me a dead arm.

thejadedmonkey
Jun 14, 2011, 12:00 AM
This year, 9to5Mac has been told, will be very different. In fact, Apple will not be offering free iPods during this promotion but will instead offer a $70 item instead.
FTFY. Apple's taking a $70 hit, versus a $133 hit ($200 - 30% for markup). Plus, get kids hooked to the app store/iTunes store, or get them to buy an iPhone to go with all their free iApps, this is pure win for Apple.

Plus, lets say it all goes to iOS apps. That's $70 to developers x hundreds of thousands of promotions, meaning Apple can brag even more about how much they give to developers!

Developers Developers Developers!
I can see steve up on stage chanting now... D:

iRobby
Jun 14, 2011, 12:02 AM
Wow... Way to crush my dreams Apple. I'm buying my first macbook and can't afford it without the $100 student discount and the free iPod (in which I was planning on selling to help pay for my macbook pro). I was a huge Microsoft fanboy until this summer and now you're pulling a Microsoft-like move.

And to the people who say they have the right to take away this to make more profit: Apple is one of the most successful companies in the world, this will only make them a small percentage of profit by cutting iPods, but to the average joe like me they're cutting a lot more. You'd think a company with such a loyal customer base would treat it's loyalists better than most billion dollar companies.

First of all, you still get the $100.00 student discount that has nothing to do with he Back to School Promotion

Second, you say you cannot afford it without selling the iPod well, you would have had to pay extra for the iPod upfront and get the check in the mail so since you cannot afford it in the first place the offer wouldn't have helped you,

jacobo007
All of you who are complaining that we're greedy and spoiled - GO AWAY. Apple has offered the same promotion for years running, I'm finally up to go to college and buy a computer and the promotion is worth less then half the amount than in the past. I shouldn't be attacked for being disappointed, this is a valid reason to be sad.

But I still don't buy it, I think Apple is smarter than this.

It is ok to be disappointed but you have to understand that Apple never said this was forever and never promised you anything...

Having said that and as you point out, this is just a rumor, there is no need to get upset over something that as of today does not exist.

LSUtigers03
If this turns out to be the actual promotion then I'll get my iPhone 4 back so I'm cool with that.

djosiris
Jun 14, 2011, 12:06 AM
damn this sucks. I just bought my MBP and if this is true I won't even bother going back to redeem this.

I was hoping to scoop an iPad with the 200 mail in rebate... sigh

Chiuy
Jun 14, 2011, 12:09 AM
Wow...
EPIC FAIL.
Tradition Fail.
iTunes? Seriously? Worthless to me. I already got all my songs and apps.
At least a $100 Apple Giftcard instead of iTunes...
Come on...

That XBox 360 looks really tempting now... HP Envy 14" with a free $200 XBox 360 plus other free software such as Office 2010 and Professional Window 7

mbart11
Jun 14, 2011, 12:11 AM
the free ipod was the only reason i went back to school in the first place....now what am i gonna do

miisterlim
Jun 14, 2011, 12:12 AM
lol this has gotta suck for the people that were waiting for the free ipod

ten-oak-druid
Jun 14, 2011, 12:12 AM
You can buy a lot of Doctor Who for $100 from the itunes store.

acslater017
Jun 14, 2011, 12:18 AM

EDIT*

Considering that Apple gives students about $100 off already (with no real credential check), they'd be giving away $200 worth total, with the iTunes card included. Can't really complain about that :rolleyes:

RichardBeer
Jun 14, 2011, 12:19 AM
The free iPod offer is a load of nonsense anyway, it isn't free. When I got my first mac with education discount back in 2009 the iPod touch 8GB was £145, but the rebate was only £125. Therefore you still had to pay £20. Which although it's still amazing, they shouldn't purport it to be a free offer because it just isn't. And you have to pay up front and get a rebate around six weeks later anyway.

acslater017
Jun 14, 2011, 12:20 AM
Wow...
EPIC FAIL.
Tradition Fail.
iTunes? Seriously? Worthless to me. I already got all my songs and apps.
At least a $100 Apple Giftcard instead of iTunes...
Come on...

That XBox 360 looks really tempting now... HP Envy 14" with a free $200 XBox 360 plus other free software such as Office 2010 and Professional Window 7

Really? The iPod is less and less useful to people these days anyway. Especially if a student already has an iPhone, it's not really much incentive to get a free MP3 player. I don't even use one for working out anymore - it's just easier to strap my iPhone 4 (=phone/GPS/iPod/exercise apps) to my arm...

barrelrolled
Jun 14, 2011, 12:24 AM
If they're not offering the iPods, I might as well just wait for the fall refreshes :p

acslater017
Jun 14, 2011, 12:25 AM

1) We're not sure if this is true. Wait a bit. Who knows what the deal will actually be?
2) Sell your iTunes card.
3) Apple treats its customers very well (it's got industry-leading customer service). The Back to School promotion is not really aimed at returning customers though...It's really to get students in to the Apple family, and thin out excess Mac/iPod stock...
4) If you really want to get a MacBook just save up a bit, buy a refurbished one, etc. There will definitely be deals out there.

skinned66
Jun 14, 2011, 12:27 AM
Hope this isn't true.

Seems especially lame with MS offering an XBox 360.

Wow.

Their need for a big shiny carrot is greater though, isn't it?

Icaras
Jun 14, 2011, 12:27 AM
Me: Big sad face :(

Actually, I don't mind the idea of an iTunes gift card, but the article is right about lesser value, and that blows.

Give me a $200 iTunes card and i'll be a happy camper though. It saves me the little trouble of having to ebay the iPod, which I always do, and even gives me more value in my opinion as reselling iPods always result in a slightly lower return anyway.

You also don't need to worry about paying that little extra tax for something you got for free in the end.

42streetsdown
Jun 14, 2011, 12:29 AM
OH THE HORROR!!!! How will I SURVIVE without a free iPod!@!!!!1

I love how some of the comments are worded like Steve himself is reading their complaints. lol

if this rumor is true, it'll suck a bit yes, but i'm still gonna be buying the Mac i want for school regardless.

djosiris
Jun 14, 2011, 12:30 AM
We went from a rumor of 200.00 cash back with iPad purchase to this, and some of you don't understand why this would be disappointing?

Joelcarter86
Jun 14, 2011, 12:30 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8J2)

I work at Beat Buy, and just today we got in 32 iPod touch 8gb... So I'm not so sure this rumor is true. Seems more like a iPod kinda deal with those numbers coming in on one truck.

42streetsdown
Jun 14, 2011, 12:33 AM
I just read the 9 to 5 Mac story and they don't say who their source is. I smell poo

caspersoong
Jun 14, 2011, 12:42 AM
Hopefully this is not true... Unless if they are bringing it to all countries now.

Dingado
Jun 14, 2011, 12:53 AM
I'm so excited to see what it'll end up being!

Is it Wednesday yet?! :D

iMikeT
Jun 14, 2011, 12:58 AM
PowerBook G5 anyone?

macsamillionjoe
Jun 14, 2011, 01:02 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8J2)

I work at Beat Buy, and just today we got in 32 iPod touch 8gb... So I'm not so sure this rumor is true. Seems more like a iPod kinda deal with those numbers coming in on one truck.
Lol 32 Ipods?? Omgzzz.. :D

sketdansu
Jun 14, 2011, 01:06 AM

EDIT*

Sounds to me like you're the one getting greedy...

Android 007
Jun 14, 2011, 01:09 AM
The gift card is just a rumor everyone......

9Speed
Jun 14, 2011, 01:12 AM
Funny... I just had this conversation with my neighbor (a neat old guy):

Every year he used to give $200 to each of his grandkids as a Christmas gift. The thing that absolutely drove him nuts is that he never, ever got a 'thank you' card, call letting him know it was appreciated, or invited over by any of the grandkids for dinner. The cash basically left his wallet and disappeared with no appreciation to show for it.

This year he decided "screw this... it's not worth spending $5000 on the grandkids if they don't even appreciate it enough to say 'thank you' in any way, shape, or form", so he broke the tradition and his grandkids got nothing.

THIS year he got calls and letters from many of his grandkids (and for many of them, it was the first time they had EVER reached out to communicate with him) basically telling him to go screw himself since they didn't get their yearly cash.

For some reason, a lot of Apple users on this board remind me of his grandchildren.

glemley8
Jun 14, 2011, 01:12 AM
aw poo. i was gonna give the ipod to my gf for her birthday :/ (...and yes, also tell her how I got it)

Android 007
Jun 14, 2011, 01:17 AM
aw poo. i was gonna give the ipod to my gf for her birthday :/ (...and yes, also tell her how I got it)

$100 itunes card is also a pretty decent birthday gift.

But, its just a rumour. Think about how cheap people would say apple is after having a $200 ipod giveaway last year + printer and this year only a $100 gift card? I think Apple is smarter than to set them selves up like that. Expect at least something worth $200.

wesleyh
Jun 14, 2011, 01:20 AM
Can you use this card in the app store as well? I know someone that had just ordered an imac this weekend (teacher), can he still apply for this as well?

budafied
Jun 14, 2011, 01:20 AM
Funny... I just had this conversation with my neighbor (a neat old guy):

Every year he used to give $200 to each of his grandkids as a Christmas gift. The thing that absolutely drove him nuts is that he never, ever got a 'thank you' card, call letting him know it was appreciated, or invited over by any of the grandkids for dinner. The cash basically left his wallet and disappeared with no appreciation to show for it.

This year he decided "screw this... it's not worth spending $5000 on the grandkids if they don't even appreciate it enough to say 'thank you' in any way, shape, or form", so he broke the tradition and his grandkids got nothing.

THIS year he got calls and letters from many of his grandkids (and for many of them, it was the first time they had EVER reached out to communicate with him) basically telling him to go screw himself since they didn't get their yearly cash.

For some reason, a lot of Apple users on this board remind me of his grandchildren.

Apple is not my Grandfather, LOL.

It comes down to this for me: The price premium of a MBP is not necessarily worth it to me unless I cna get a deal on it, especially when I can go the Hackintosh/Win7 Homebrew Desktop + Netbook combo for about the same price or less...

The iPod deal + educational discount make the MBP a reasonable venture, FOR ME. I'm sure there are a number of people who feel the same.

When I can get a Windows laptop for well under $1000 which will outperform the MBP (I will run Vanilla Win7, which is just as good as OSX), it doesn't make sense to pay $400-$500 more for the MBP.

JGowan
Jun 14, 2011, 01:23 AM
I can't say I'm happy about this news. I've enjoyed several free iPods over the years, but the fact is that regardless of HD space, the iPods are getting freaking nice. Too nice to be just handing them out for free.

MacFly123
Jun 14, 2011, 01:29 AM
If this is true it is LAAAAAMEEEE!!! :(

When I was in school I would always just sell the iPod after and end up saving like $300.00 buying a new Mac when all was said and done!

yasirfaheem
Jun 14, 2011, 01:33 AM
Oh no tell me this is not so. Was waiting to get new macbook pro and free ipod. Apple deal killer!

Jun 14, 2011, 01:36 AM
Apple doesn't need to giveaway iPod touches to sell you a Mac anymore. You'll buy one anyway. The $100 iTunes card is a nice gesture considering most of you are already getting significant educational hardware discounts.

Android 007
Jun 14, 2011, 01:38 AM
Really? The iPod is less and less useful to people these days anyway. Especially if a student already has an iPhone, it's not really much incentive to get a free MP3 player. I don't even use one for working out anymore - it's just easier to strap my iPhone 4 (=phone/GPS/iPod/exercise apps) to my arm...
You're missing the point. Most people want to sell their iPods for money.

I can't say I'm happy about this news. I've enjoyed several free iPods over the years, but the fact is that regardless of HD space, the iPods are getting freaking nice. Too nice to be just handing them out for free.

Regardless of how nice they are, they've always remained around $200, and thus, a $100 iTunes gift card is cheap compared to past promotions. Should at least be $200. However this is just a rumor...

ten-oak-druid
Jun 14, 2011, 01:38 AM
It makes more sense to get the gift card actually.

The ipod promos always locked you into the lowest storage option for the ipod. You were not allowed to pay the difference and upgrade. And if you own an ipad or iphone already you may not be interested an ipod touch. So the free ipod is not always the ideal promo choice.

The gift card lets you buy some media for whatever device you decide to view it on.

motoracer1486
Jun 14, 2011, 02:01 AM
If this is true...**** you :apple:. :mad:

jmpnop
Jun 14, 2011, 02:02 AM
Hey, gotta pay for this somehow...
:rolleyes:

lol true:cool::apple:

The ipod promos always locked you into the lowest storage option for the ipod. You were not allowed to pay the difference and upgrade. And if you own an ipad or iphone already you may not be interested an ipod touch. So the free ipod is not always the ideal promo choice.

The gift card lets you buy some media for whatever device you decide to view it on.

As far as I remember they allowed to pay the difference and upgrade to higher capacity iPods.

cassians
Jun 14, 2011, 02:17 AM

You were always allowed to pick whatever iPod you wanted. Even a shuffle, nano, or classic. You just got $219 back in rebates, so you either paid the difference if the iPod was more than $219, or just got the value of the iPod you picked back from rebates.

VPrime
Jun 14, 2011, 02:21 AM
Maybe apple will give this along side the iPod (or even iPad?)
Perfect complement to an iDevice. You can get apps, books music etc all to go on your shiny new (free) iPod.. Or half priced ipad ;)
I guess I'm just an optimist.

Septhy
Jun 14, 2011, 02:24 AM
Didn't Japan had a BTS Promo a few weeks earlier? Didn't they give away Ipods?

mdgm
Jun 14, 2011, 02:40 AM
Didn't Japan had a BTS Promo a few weeks earlier? Didn't they give away Ipods?

I hope the rumour isn't true. Changes to the Promo in the US set the trend for changes to the promo in other places.

I decided not to buy a new MBP earlier this year because of no USB3 and no quadcore in the 13" (which made it incredibly poor value compared with the 15"). If Apple changes to offering $100 iTunes gift cards then the promo will be far less interesting than it has in the past.

Lostanddamned
Jun 14, 2011, 02:49 AM
My MacBook is around about due for replacement now, at three years old i'm starting to notice a bit of slowdown compared to other machines, as a result I was planning on waiting until August or September and the tail end of the back to school deal to buy myself a new MacBook, but if this rumour is true, it will probably mean I will have to wait longer, in order to have access to enough money to afford the MacBook.

It's a shame is all.

spoccka
Jun 14, 2011, 02:50 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

So what is the deal going to be in the UK? £100? 75?

ten-oak-druid
Jun 14, 2011, 02:54 AM
You were always allowed to pick whatever iPod you wanted. Even a shuffle, nano, or classic. You just got $219 back in rebates, so you either paid the difference if the iPod was more than $219, or just got the value of the iPod you picked back from rebates.

No. It was the 8GB ipod touch which was the smallest capacity (at the time). And you were not allowed to pay the difference for an upgrade. I don't believe substitutions were allowed by Apple. If a school store allowed it then they were probably not telling Apple what they were doing.

Edit: Well 2007 had 2 sizes of nano or a classic ipod. Looking up the details for this year I can't find information on paying a difference.

2008 had an 8BG touch offered. This is the year I remember checking it out. What I find for this year confirms my memory.

When I search for 2009 offerings I see specifically an option to pay a difference. So perhaps some years were different than others?

Edit 2: You know the more I think about it, what was probably going on was that the school would have limited supplies of older models and the newer model ipods were not available for the promotion. The older models of course had lower storage capacity.

Anyway, whether it was Apple's rule's or my schools I remember being disappointed in the allowed choice of ipod over the course of a few years time.

res1233
Jun 14, 2011, 03:00 AM
Like others have mentioned, the free card could go towards the Mac App store for applications like the iWorks suite. You would still have $40 left over to go towards more productivity applications and games for that new computer or maybe apps and content for existing iOS devices.

Angry Birds for the Mac, and for iOS. 'Nuff said.

freddiculous
Jun 14, 2011, 03:03 AM
Lol macrumors really messes your thinking up. I bet you nothing will even happen Wednesday.

SeaFox
Jun 14, 2011, 03:05 AM
Apple could have downgraded to an iPod Nano and still come out looking a lot less Scroogy, even though the purchase price isn't much higher.

The perceived cheapness of the promo comes from the extra being a digital software/music product -- something that has no real inventory limits because it's a "virtual" product, verses an iPod, which is a tangible device.

Technically, you're supposed to declare the purchase and pay the sales tax when you file your state income taxes.;)
In my state you can base the amount you pay in taxes off actual purchase prices or you can elect to pay a percentage figure off you AGI IIRC. So taking the latter option might net a lower out-of-state purchases tax bill if you buy enough.

zinynano
Jun 14, 2011, 03:05 AM
No. It was the 8GB ipod touch which was the smallest capacity (at the time). And you were not allowed to pay the difference for an upgrade. I don't believe substitutions were allowed by Apple. If a school store allowed it then they were probably not telling Apple what they were doing.

Edit: Well 2007 had 2 sizes of nano or a classic ipod. Looking up the details for this year I can't find information on paying a difference.

2008 had an 8BG touch offered. This is the year I remember checking it out. What I find for this year confirms my memory.

When I search for 2009 offerings I see specifically an option to pay a difference. So perhaps some years were different than others?

You were always allowed to pay the difference....

http://www.apple.com/promo/pdf/BTS08_TCS.pdf
http://www.apple.com/promo/pdf/BackToSchool_TermsConditions_US_2010.pdf

OllyW
Jun 14, 2011, 03:15 AM
Apple doesn't need to giveaway iPod touches to sell you a Mac anymore. You'll buy one anyway. The $100 iTunes card is a nice gesture considering most of you are already getting significant educational hardware discounts.

Well said.

If Apple do go with the $100 iTunes gift card and Mac sales plummet in the next quarter they will know they have made a big mistake and we'll probably see the free iPod deal return next year.

What will probably happen is we'll see the usual record year on year Mac sales and if you are lucky they will keep the gift card offer next year. Just be thankful for whatever freebie you end up with because there's no guarantee it will be there for ever.

ratzzo
Jun 14, 2011, 03:19 AM
I hope this is not true. What a drastic change!

Castiel
Jun 14, 2011, 03:22 AM
Maybe they meant Free iPod PLUS a $100 card. Ah, yes, please. :D

PJMAN2952
Jun 14, 2011, 03:28 AM
Wow. Never thought APPLE would change the annual routine for Back to School. Oh well no worries for me. I am going into 11th grade.:p

ratzzo
Jun 14, 2011, 03:28 AM
Just to add that I'd rather have my 15% student discount than a $100 iTunes Gift Card.

The real value for the Gift Card is something like 50$ minus for them... so much greed, especially after buying a thousand dollar machine.

PJMAN2952
Jun 14, 2011, 03:30 AM
Lol macrumors really messes your thinking up. I bet you nothing will even happen Wednesday.

Well I trust MacRumors most of the time. They have been right about most of the rumors. Just hope something good happens tomorrow because people say APPLE is changing their stores overnight to night globally. Scratch that, APPLE always has something exciting (except the iPod Nano 6th gen):p

PJMAN2952
Jun 14, 2011, 03:38 AM

Wow. Just because you won't get a free iPod your not going to buy a Mac? That's the reason? So you want to stick to Windows where you get viruses all the time and with cheap plastic computers? Mac's are the most high end (user friendly) machines on the market for this time period. Please think before you type.

TsMkLg068426
Jun 14, 2011, 03:39 AM
Since student discount on a iMac is only $100 off why can't they let me use this iTunes $100 card towards my purchase? I really do not care for a iPod Touch but I really wanted to get my sisters upgraded blah! Not sure I like this or hate it you gotta admit it is a bit greedy of them and yes it is obvious no new iPod touch this year or else they would clear out the old ones giving away for free with your purchase of a iMac or macbook. I can not wait for the day when they kill off iPod Touch and the only choice you have is a iPad and iPhone. The only way I would ever get an iPhone is when unlimited data is available from any service provider. I wonder how those poor bastards paying for it now, just curious.

PJMAN2952
Jun 14, 2011, 03:42 AM

Well said.

If Apple do go with the $100 iTunes gift card and Mac sales plummet in the next quarter they will know they have made a big mistake and we'll probably see the free iPod deal return next year.

What will probably happen is we'll see the usual record year on year Mac sales and if you are lucky they will keep the gift card offer next year. Just be thankful for whatever freebie you end up with because there's no guarantee it will be there for ever.

True that bro. I mean your getting something free from APPLE! So I just wish people would stop bitching about this because its 100 dollars. You might not get 100 dollars for free ever again. Its once in a life time opportunity.

endhalf
Jun 14, 2011, 03:46 AM
Typical americans... You'll get $100 instead of $200 for free and you feel bad? You know what we get? Nothing, coz Apple B2S won't start in Czech Rep and fees for purchasing something from USA are so big that it isn't worth buying it in USA and ship it to Cz.

So if someone doesn't want $100 gift card, I'd be happy to take it for him.

spcdust
Jun 14, 2011, 03:49 AM
If this were true I'd personally be disappointed as the only way I could justify and iPod Touch was using the BTS promotion. However, what will be will be, if it's a $100 iTunes gift card I'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth, it's still an incentive so people need to get over themselves and stop whining on about it.

Personally though I'm not convinced this is the full story or in any way accurate, MacRumours and the other sites have been pretty far off on this particular "rumour" so we'll see what transpires. BTS promotion or not I'm going to purchase my iMac on Wednesday.

TsMkLg068426
Jun 14, 2011, 03:50 AM
Wow. Just because you won't get a free iPod your not going to buy a Mac? That's the reason? So you want to stick to Windows where you get viruses all the time and with cheap plastic computers? Mac's are the most high end (user friendly) machines on the market for this time period. Please think before you type.

Be careful what you say, Macs can easily be infected by Malware which was proven and the Malware was called MacDefender. Also, just because Microsoft has a better chance of getting virus, spyware or a malware does not mean it is not good you have to be an idiot to get infected just like most people who have an Apple computer were dumb enough to be infected by Malware. Yeah, sure the design for a PC is **** but what should matter is what kind of hardware you are getting and of course Apple computers design are better and of course the hardware are high end and that is why a iMac and MacBooks cost more than PC desktop or a PC Notebook. On the other hand a Mac OS is cheaper than Microsoft OS when you need to upgrade it. They both have their goods and fails just be careful what you say you do not want a Microsoft fanboi trollin here.

jakester20
Jun 14, 2011, 03:55 AM
This better not be a true rumor otherwise I will be kicking myself for holding out on the purchase for like 6 weeks now...

pubjoe
Jun 14, 2011, 04:12 AM
Oh well.
Yep, it's a shame but... oh well.

Hardly worth having a fit over like many others are. It's definitely an "oh well" situation. The free ipod + HE discount was such a good deal that many people bought a mac at discount with the free ipod and printer, and put them all straight on ebay for instant profit. If you look through their history, some ebay sellers were clearly doing this many times with multiple credit cards.

As for me, with a Mother in teaching (now retired), a Sister now finishing Uni and my wife now starting Uni. I've made use of the offer a few times for myself and family over the last few years. Apple have been great when I've phoned and said that I want to buy a mac for myself and I have a relative in Uni. They're happy to offer the cross discount.

I suppose my next mac will drop in value (from the price I pay) quicker, but then, at least I won't have to mess about selling an ipod on ebay. Credit for the mac app store will be much more conveinient. Just a shame that it'll be worth half as much as the ipod was.

Oh well.

P.S. I presume you can actually use itunes gift cards on the mac app store?

DJJAZZYJET
Jun 14, 2011, 04:41 AM
**** off this better be a ****ing lie!!!!! WHY WOULD I NEED 100 QUID FOR ITUNES IF I AINT GOT AN IPOD TO BUY THE DAMN APPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ubuntu
Jun 14, 2011, 04:48 AM
**** off this better be a ****ing lie!!!!! WHY WOULD I NEED 100 QUID FOR ITUNES IF I AINT GOT AN IPOD TO BUY THE DAMN APPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Whoah, chill. o.O

spcdust
Jun 14, 2011, 05:04 AM

Some perspective is definitely required:o:o

Crigger540
Jun 14, 2011, 05:14 AM
Maby if this is true then they won't be updating the iPod touch this September either. Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought it was just a way to get rid of the stocks of iPods for the release in September, but if this is true then they are not doing that. But then again just speculatingThis is the first thing I thought also.

apu1234
Jun 14, 2011, 05:23 AM
Well, this makes somewhat sense as what students really need for studying is hardly and iPod, but rather different softwares, for example iWork etc., and for that the 100$ gift card is perfect.

mr.wiggles
Jun 14, 2011, 05:50 AM
Wow. Just wow. Ungrateful, whining, self-centered, entitled, me, me, me twits.

http://www.babies-and-sign-language.com/images/crying_baby_interpret.jpg

If this rumor is true, you'll be offered $100 but you don't want it.

Maybe Apple should offer $100 with the purchase of every Mac to someone who really needs and would surely appreciate it:

http://thatwasthen1968.com/1968images/Starving-in-Biafra.jpg

You should probably be ashamed of yourselves.

spcdust
Jun 14, 2011, 06:03 AM
I think mr.wiggles has provided the perspective I was talking about.

I mean, so many posters here whining on about this BTS promotion. I myself have been waiting for the iPod and will feel a little disappointed if it's not offered but easy come easy go. It was never a given, you still get your educational discount and you can still afford to splash a not inconsiderable amount of money on a computer - jeeeez life really sucks:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Fugue
Jun 14, 2011, 06:04 AM
Although I already purchased my MBP from Microcenter for $999, I can understand the frustration from those who waited.

Anyways, this is excellent for developers to hear. They will definitely be delighted.

silentnite
Jun 14, 2011, 06:13 AM
That really sucks if it's true. Wiped the smile right off my face.:confused:

kbmb
Jun 14, 2011, 06:18 AM
Seriously.....nowadays what student doesn't already have an iPhone or iPad/iPod?!?

Makes sense to give them money to buy apps.

-Kevin

angryshortguy
Jun 14, 2011, 06:20 AM
I was hoping for a new ipod touch, still have the original from day one...
Not liking the $100 iTunes card. My iTunes account was hacked about a year ago to the tune of $65 and I haven't purchased anything from iTunes since.

Apple did nothing to help.

But they did take their cut of the stolen $65 through illegal iTunes purchases.
How is that not a crime?
I thought that knowingly accepting stolen money or products was a crime...

So why would I put $100 on my iTunes account to have it stolen again?

Probably just see if I can sell the card...

sportguy0913
Jun 14, 2011, 06:22 AM
If true, then we're not getting the new iMac we were holding out for; too expensive. My mom's a saver and the iPod free was the big seller for her to get the imac.

sportguy0913
Jun 14, 2011, 06:27 AM

Image (http://www.babies-and-sign-language.com/images/crying_baby_interpret.jpg)

Maybe Apple should offer $100 with the purchase of every Mac to someone who really needs and would surely appreciate it:

Image (http://thatwasthen1968.com/1968images/Starving-in-Biafra.jpg)

Excuse you?! A lot of people wait to buy their Mac b/c of this and while it may be a "counting your chickens before they hatch" situation, it still has been a big factor in many mac sales. I foresee a big decrease in mac sales in comparison with previous years if this is ture; let's just hope this is just a pure rumor.

spcdust
Jun 14, 2011, 06:33 AM
Excuse you?! A lot of people wait to buy their Mac b/c of this and while it may be a "counting your chickens before they hatch" situation, it still has been a big factor in many mac sales. I foresee a big decrease in mac sales in comparison with previous years if this is ture; let's just hope this is just a pure rumor.

I would say Apple's sales figures suggest otherwise.

I think mr.wiggles was referring to the out of perspective whining demonstrated by some posters. There's a difference between disappointment and outright protestations of entitlement.

Personally I'm firmly logging this as pure unsubstantiated rumour.

stringent
Jun 14, 2011, 06:40 AM
Well I hope its not true too. I was looking forward to the free iPod selling it on and putting that towards the MacBook Pro cost. Still, $100 or £ equivalent can buy you iWork if you didn't include it, money off Final Cut X or Aperture (although I prefer Lightroom!). Lots of decent programs going to be up and coming through the App Store for sure soon as thats going to be Apples main way of distributing content whether we like it or not. So you would probably end up using that free card anyways.

RobQuads
Jun 14, 2011, 06:44 AM
If true - very clever from Apple as it means that $100 will only cost them $70 max really due to them taking a 30% cut of all purchases.

..and if they buy any Apple produced software then its not really an extra cost on them so could actually end up "costing" them hardly anything yet people have gone for the hardware.

There are better offers around from retailers other than Apple now IMO

GroundLoop
Jun 14, 2011, 06:48 AM

Why would you think that you are getting 100 quid? I am guessing that people in the UK will only get a 70GBP iTunes gift card. Need to remember the Apple Currency Exchange Rate.

;)

GL

sn
Jun 14, 2011, 06:53 AM
It's honestly no big deal for me. I would have just sold the iPod anyway to get some of my money back on my shiny new Mac. $100 iTunes gift card would be just as great.

i think that's what most people were planning to do but the point is that the ipod would have a much higher resale value than the itunes card.

sn
Jun 14, 2011, 06:59 AM

Image (http://www.babies-and-sign-language.com/images/crying_baby_interpret.jpg)

why are you even a member of macrumors? i'd imagine you're going to find almost all the news posted on here quite frustrating and trivial if you compare it to famine.

bennettave
Jun 14, 2011, 06:59 AM
I also think that 5-20% of people don't submit their free iPod rebate forms. I know that BestBuy and FutureShop love these mail in rebates because lots of people just keep thinking "Oh I'll get on that" and before you know it it's too late.

Highly doubt Apple will change this promotion to this $100 gift card business.

I think the statistics on unused gift cards are higher than 5-20%.

logandzwon
Jun 14, 2011, 07:09 AM
If true, this is weak.

The promo should a $200 value. I am not sure I like restricting it to iTunes either.

Edit; After thinking about it, if I bought a new machine during the sale I'd probably just sell it anyway, so I guess $100 isn't that different really.

Sodner
Jun 14, 2011, 07:10 AM
Get over it people. Apple was already giving students a discount and a decent one at that. My Apple discount through my employer is not as good as the student one. Then add to that a $100 iTunes card that you can keep and use or sell for probably $90 is still something.

Take it or leave it, your choice. No one is holding a gun to your head forcing you to buy an Apple computer.

Kentochan
Jun 14, 2011, 07:26 AM
Thats funny, because in Japan when the new school year came around for them (April), they were still giving away iPod touches with a Mac purchase.

jonnysods
Jun 14, 2011, 07:27 AM
That would stink.

ghsNick
Jun 14, 2011, 07:28 AM
WOW this SUCKS!
360 > BS iTunes Gift Card

And you can only use this on iTunes correct, not the App Store?

I'd be better off getting a PC with their deal.

ghostlyorb
Jun 14, 2011, 07:33 AM
I agree that it's lame that you don't get a free iPod Touch.. but seriously? You're complaining over FREE $100? I know I'll get downranked for this. But come on. I was waiting to get the Summer back-to-school deal.. but my computer got Arnold Palmer split on it.. had to get a new one!

ghostlyorb
Jun 14, 2011, 07:34 AM
WOW this SUCKS!
360 > BS iTunes Gift Card

And you can only use this on iTunes correct, not the App Store?

I'd be better off getting a PC with their deal.

It works with all "app stores". Mac App Store, iTunes, iOS App Store, and iBooks Store.

klrobinson999
Jun 14, 2011, 07:43 AM
Let me guess:

you'll get a $100 gift card... AND a free iPod Touch.

This is how they'll take on the free XBox360...by offering a similar value or better.

bruinsrme
Jun 14, 2011, 07:46 AM
$800 HP laptop, free xbox, and 16gb iPad 2 wifi. $1300 or 13" mbp and gift card $1200
Hmmm

spoccka
Jun 14, 2011, 07:47 AM
What about those of us in the UK?

£100 gift card? Maybe?

coop
Jun 14, 2011, 07:49 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

The touch was just a bonus for my kids. Could I buy Aperture with this? If so I would just use it on Aperture and a few Kids Apps that I was going to buy anyway.

Wish it would be a $200 Apple credit so I coild use it towards an ipad or new iphone. I am also in the market for both of these. Hopong thos is just a rumor. At least everyone will be happy of it goes back towards a touch without the ipad, because that is better than itunes.

kazmac
Jun 14, 2011, 07:51 AM
I agree with folks who mentioned the $200 off the iPad is a nice incentive. But $100 iTunes gift card? :( - where's the value in that.

Now if Apple offered the free iPod or $200 off an iPad + an $100 iTunes gift card that would work.

I don't think the educational discount is all that much unless you're buying a high end Mac.

We'll see.

bpaluzzi
Jun 14, 2011, 07:54 AM
I had my suspicions before, but this thread proves it for me:
This board is filled with greedy, thankless people.

And those of you who are making your decision on a $1000+ laptop based on the free bonus that comes with it? Salesmen must see you coming from a mile away. Wow.

ghsNick
Jun 14, 2011, 07:55 AM
It works with all "app stores". Mac App Store, iTunes, iOS App Store, and iBooks Store.

So it's really a free $70 since they'll probably be cheap and not have Lion on it and I'll have to buy it. This stuff basicaly cost them nothing, so why lower the value $100. Apple TV ($100) would be worth more...at least I could stream Netflix in another room.

ghsNick
Jun 14, 2011, 07:58 AM
I had my suspicions before, but this thread proves it for me:
This board is filled with greedy, thankless people.

And those of you who are making your decision on a $1000+ laptop based on the free bonus that comes with it? Salesmen must see you coming from a mile away. Wow.

No one is making their decision on it.
It was just something that added value to an already over-priced laptop.
Don't get me wrong, they make great laptops...but Microsoft is treating their customers 200% better with their back to school offer. Apple shouldn't down-grade their Back 2 School.

powaking
Jun 14, 2011, 08:02 AM
Apple would benefit more with the free iPods after rebate than this. They hardly make any money on songs, they would make more on each app purchase. This better be false.

Bubba Satori
Jun 14, 2011, 08:09 AM
One hundred billion in the bank.

chairguru22
Jun 14, 2011, 08:12 AM
1) PCs suck
2) Xbox 360 sucks

So that deal really isn't that great...

iPod would be nice but since I got an iPad I would be trying to sell the iPod touch anyway.

LadyCiel
Jun 14, 2011, 08:15 AM
At least one person has said maybe they'll give both the ipod AND the gift card. While it may be wishful thinking, it makes good sense from where I stand. The product Apple seems to want to push the hardest right now is iCloud. By selling students a package complete with a mac, an iOS device to sync with it, and $100 in spending money to fill 'em up with music and apps, they're guaranteeing active iCloud users who will show it off to their friends.

waterskier2007
Jun 14, 2011, 08:19 AM
While I personally am not in the market for a new mac, I know a few people who are and this is definitely a let down. I'm not going to sit here and complain for them, because the fact of the matter is that they want a mac regardless of if they get a free iPod, but the iPod is something to sweeten the deal. My only disappointment is that I believe Apple just had their BTS deal in Japan and they included iPod touches with that deal so I can't see why they wouldn't do that in the US (where the company is based, kinda seems like cheating the home team).

One thing that I do recall is seeing posts a while ago about how they might not run the iPod touch deal due to battery production shortages due to the distaster in Japan. Not sure if this has anything to do with it.

Obi-Wan Kubrick
Jun 14, 2011, 08:21 AM
I was looking forward to an 8GB iPod Touch just to have instead of an ipad to check email, etc. I have iTunes gift cards laying around I don't need $100 more.

Mistrblank
Jun 14, 2011, 08:21 AM
In a year with Apple's best turn in profits?

Not a chance.

In a year where Microsoft has offered the XBox to college students upgrading their computer?

Not a chance.

Apple giving $70 out of the $100 they're giving you to the developers of a lot of Lion apps... oh. That might actually be right.

But to those of you saying it's saving Apple alot, do you really think that $200 ipod costs Apple $200? It's probably closer to the same $70 they're planning to lose on the gift card, and I assure you they're making more than $70 on that Mac they sold you to go with it. I do think it's a mistake to think that people won't choose a cheaper Windows PC and an XBox over a new Mac and a gift card rebate.

jamesryanbell
Jun 14, 2011, 08:23 AM
Worst comment ever, but I'm going to post it anyway.

I'm not buying a mac right now, so I really don't care what they do. I'll let you know when it becomes important to me or my family again.

(LOL)

kingsmuse
Jun 14, 2011, 08:24 AM
Talk about narcissistic entitlement problems.

This thread makes me fear for the future of the world.

Whiny little spoiled children.

TheJing
Jun 14, 2011, 08:35 AM
How can people complain? I don't get it.

ten-oak-druid
Jun 14, 2011, 08:40 AM
How can people complain? I don't get it.

It's just to get people less excited about Apple products. Who would want that?

ten-oak-druid
Jun 14, 2011, 08:41 AM

Excellent post. And the people voting negative on it are just to embarrassed for themselves to admit it.

CrzyCanuck72
Jun 14, 2011, 08:42 AM
Giving out free iPod Touches wasn't just an altruistic move on Apple's part, it was a way of ensuring future revenue stream in the form of app and music purchases for those devices. I don't know if I buy this rumor...

maclova
Jun 14, 2011, 08:42 AM
It's still $100. Those calling Apple "greedy" remember they are hosting the iCloud (5GB, mail, hosting, etc..) for FREE (they build a huge server farm for this costing many million $) come this Autumn. Seriously stop crying.

sn
Jun 14, 2011, 08:43 AM
Talk about narcissistic entitlement problems.

This thread makes me fear for the future of the world.

Whiny little spoiled children.

These responses irk me. You've joined the wrong forum. Macrumors is pretty much an entire forum dedicated to the consumer products delivered by one company who makes shiny and expensive goods. Don't come here expecting the debate to change the world. And if you do expect it, don't start bitching about the fact this it's doesn't. Yes, there exists bigger problems than anything that has EVER been posted on macrumors but there's also other places to discuss them.

I think people are understandably disappointed at the prospect of a change in the promotion. That's not to say people SHOULD or SHOULDN'T get a free ipod with their mac, but the disappointment is not surprising. I recently bought my macbook pro but I was close to waiting until the student offer - especially since this is my last year as a student and I really felt I should be patient and wait for May. Instead, I bought at the end of April and, in hindsight, I'm glad I did. Not only would I have been disappointed at having to wait longer than I expected, but I would now be regretting putting it off and probably feeling quite frustrated. Now, let me reiterate, I'm not saying I 'deserve' a free gift with my new computer and I'm not saying I would have been grievously wronged had Apple never even done a promotion at all. But I would be disappointed - and disappointment is what is coming out in this discussion. So try and be understanding. I've got my mac, I'm glad I didn't wait and I'm pleased as punch so I could quite easily be sitting here going "shut up, who cares, grow a pair, first world problems, why should you get anything free, blah blah blah" but I'm not.

ten-oak-druid
Jun 14, 2011, 08:44 AM
One of those dudes from the bible would propose cutting the ipod in half. Or something like that.

MacinDoc
Jun 14, 2011, 08:46 AM
So it's really a free $70 since they'll probably be cheap and not have Lion on it and I'll have to buy it. This stuff basicaly cost them nothing, so why lower the value $100. Apple TV ($100) would be worth more...at least I could stream Netflix in another room.
Dont' worry, Apple has already said that Lion will be a free upgrade for all machines sold between WWDC and Lion's release.

And yes, an iTunes or App Store card does cost Apple money, because it has to pay the rights holder of the products purchased their percentage of the sales (which in the case of the App store is 70%, but which has never been disclosed for iTunes AFAIK, but has been speculated to be as high as 90%). So you can't say it costs Apple "nothing"; it would cost them $70 or more, plus the cost of processing the transaction and hosting the download. Considering Apple's current cost to make a low-end iPod Touch, this rumored promo would cost Apple almost as much as its traditional back to school promo did.

Having said that, there may be some merit in the speculation that edu buyers may be offered both an iPod Touch and a $100 card to be more competitive with Microsoft's current back to school promo, but that would depend on whether Apple felt it had to compete with Microsoft in this area. And Apple has never shown an interest in a race to the bottom as far as price goes.

jclardy
Jun 14, 2011, 09:05 AM
Well I really hope it isn't true, my friend was planning on buying his first MBP the end of this summer and was looking forward to getting the iPod Touch with it as well.

Also, I was looking forward to buying a MBA 11" and essentially getting a huge discount on it by selling the iPod Touch :D

$I could still use the $100 as I buy a lot of apps and music so eventually it would get used but I would much rather have the $200 iPod Touch.

Especially with MSFT's free Xbox 360 deal. Unfortunately I already have a 360 and have no use for a PC other than gaming, for which I would rather have a desktop than a laptop.

tungwd
Jun 14, 2011, 09:09 AM
100 iTunes gift card is useless as I don't listen to any kinds of music. And in Japan, apple is offering free iPod touch to Japanese students. It made feel kind of bad if Apple offered that gift card to me. Apple hopefully makes anyone equal by at least giving us free iPod touches or giving us a choice between the gift card or free iPod touches.

afd
Jun 14, 2011, 09:11 AM
I'll be replacing my iMac very soon and was holding out for the BTS offer, so will be disapointed if there is no free iPod.
However as I'll be getting it from the HE store I'll be saving £120 on the iMac and getting a 3 year warranty for free. So a $100 iTunes voucher (or its sterling equivalent) will be a welcome bonus, not as welcome as an ipod touch however but still welcome.
All those people moaning that they have no use for $100 voucher, are they not ever going to buy any more music, video or apps? Maybe they get their content from other sources?
I still think, and hope, the free iPod will happen but won't spit the dummy if it doesn't appear.

akim3585
Jun 14, 2011, 09:13 AM
$100 iTunes Gift Card?

Blah.. I'm not greedy so I'll take any offer that Apple gives. Was expecting free iPod and Printer, but $100 is not bad either. Better than nothing...

MacinDoc
Jun 14, 2011, 09:13 AM
I was hoping for a new ipod touch, still have the original from day one...
Not liking the $100 iTunes card. My iTunes account was hacked about a year ago to the tune of $65 and I haven't purchased anything from iTunes since.

Apple did nothing to help.

But they did take their cut of the stolen $65 through illegal iTunes purchases.
How is that not a crime?
I thought that knowingly accepting stolen money or products was a crime...

So why would I put $100 on my iTunes account to have it stolen again?

Probably just see if I can sell the card...
Really? Someone hacked my Apple account and purchased nothing (although they did purchase and pay for several iPhones, which were not charged to me), and when the account was restored, I had a $100 credit!

Thenubsauce
Jun 14, 2011, 09:24 AM
The $100 gift card is useless. Music, videos, and software can all be obtained for free

gpat
Jun 14, 2011, 09:27 AM
The $100 gift card is useless. Music, videos, and software can all be obtained for free

You can obtain the Mac for free as well. Five-finger discount.

guvna
Jun 14, 2011, 09:32 AM
So 15 plus % off a Macbook Pro and $100 to spend in iTunes is not good enough? Come on

I am just happy with the discount.. anything else on top of that is a massive bonus. 1/2 price iPads would be lovely though and could be a good tactic for Apple to get more of them into colleges

dmm219
Jun 14, 2011, 09:35 AM
Apple can do what they want...it's their business. However, as a consumer...i choose how I buy.

I was going to do the following: new 13" macbook pro for the wife, keep my decent but older macbook, donate the wife's 5 year old macbook.

I will now do this: buy a new mac mini for me, wife gets my macbook...

I'll save $350 plus $100 on the deal and spend a good deal less. Apple will get less of my money though if they do this...

Just have to be flexible folks...

ComicJ27
Jun 14, 2011, 09:35 AM
Best Buy does the free iPod year round with a mac package. I bought a 21.5 inch iMac, had to buy iWork and iLife and they gave me a free ipod.

Here's how stupid they are...

Instead of not charging for the iPod, they charged me $200 then took $200 off of the iMac. THEN, she wrote on the receipt "part of bundle" in marker. I paid $1099 for the iMac, went back to best buy a week later and said I lost the receipt. They printed me one off my credit card account and I returned the programs and iPod. I paid $1099 for my iMac.

BEST BUY IT!

macdaddy4
Jun 14, 2011, 09:38 AM
So 15 plus % off a Macbook Pro and $100 to spend in iTunes is not good enough? Come on

I am just happy with the discount.. anything else on top of that is a massive bonus. 1/2 price iPads would be lovely though and could be a good tactic for Apple to get more of them into colleges

Where do you get 15% from?

I should just buy from MacMall (lower than student prices, free ship, no tax, able to upgrade)

guvna
Jun 14, 2011, 09:41 AM
Where do you get 15% from?

I should just buy from MacMall (lower than student prices, free ship, no tax, able to upgrade)

I got it from checking their education price on a base 13" macbook pro

syedhussain
Jun 14, 2011, 09:58 AM
not trying to offend anyone or anything,

to those people saying that people shouldn't complain about getting $100 itunes gift card and the educational pricing.

People are bummed about only getting $100 itunes gift card is because the deal is a downgrade from last year and the year before that, and the year before that. Instead of $300 off, they are getting $200 off, I know it shouldn't be the difference between buying or not buying, but that is the reason why people are mad.

You would expect smarter people on this site, I guess not.

Woody543
Jun 14, 2011, 10:00 AM
So at first I was with the majority - annoyed.

And I'm not sure how this will convert to £ rather than $ (if it's bad, then I will be annoyed!), but the way I look at it, is I was going to spend so much on software with my Mac, but now I can just use the voucher to buy the software, thus saving money on my initial Mac purchase, leaving me with money left over. (Not entirely sure how much this would differ from selling the iPod but at least I'm not spending as much)

bpaluzzi
Jun 14, 2011, 10:02 AM

Herp derp, you're pretty cool.

mrxak
Jun 14, 2011, 10:05 AM
Who doesn't have an iPod at this point? Heck, I've got three, including my phone. Everybody seems to want one so they can sell it on eBay, since they already have one! Well, now you have some free stuff to load on what you already got, and that's pretty nice. Point is, it's free money in your pocket if you need a new computer, but they certainly don't have to do that.

People who base their computer-buying decision on whether or not they get a free iPod have their priorities way out of whack.

Yeah, yeah, I get that it's perhaps less value than an iPod, but how much are you really going to get when eBay is flooded with iPods?

rwh63
Jun 14, 2011, 10:14 AM
glad i didn't wait. got my new macbook pro weeks ago, after the first "delay" of the bts promo.

chairguru22
Jun 14, 2011, 10:33 AM
We need to remember that this is still just rumored at this point and Apple could still be giving iPods as part of the promo.

And to those that think getting a PC/Xbox is a better deal... You're crazy.

Jaro65
Jun 14, 2011, 10:36 AM
Who doesn't have an iPod at this point? Heck, I've got three, including my phone. Everybody seems to want one so they can sell it on eBay, since they already have one! Well, now you have some free stuff to load on what you already got, and that's pretty nice. Point is, it's free money in your pocket if you need a new computer, but they certainly don't have to do that.

People who base their computer-buying decision on whether or not they get a free iPod have their priorities way out of whack.

Yeah, yeah, I get that it's perhaps less value than an iPod, but how much are you really going to get when eBay is flooded with iPods?

I'm not sure if my priorities are way out of whack.... I was looking at an MBP and I also need to replace a 2-3 year old iPod Touch that my wife uses mostly for games. So the deal made a total sense for me. I'm disappointed that Apple changed the offer.

syedhussain
Jun 14, 2011, 10:36 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

$200>$100 but then again, its a pc