PDA

View Full Version : Film Shooter's Companion App

emorydunn
Jun 13, 2011, 11:01 PM
For a while now I have wanted an app (for the iPhone) that would allow me to record "metadata" while shooting with film, where there is a distinct lack of new-fangled digital information.

What I imagine an app like this would have is a simple way to record all of the crucial metadata: shutter speed, aperture, film speed, focal length, etc. But, in addition to that it could use the iPhone's built-in awesomeness to record GPS location or maybe snap a digital version of the location.

The app would have to be able to export the metadata as an XML sidecar file so whatever photo editing/ sorting application could actually use it.

Of course, I would love to build it myself, but (isn't there always a 'but'?) I have no coding skills to speak of. I stopped learning after a bit of BASIC in middle school.

So, this thread has two purposes: 1) finding out what you guys would like to see in such an app and 2) maybe finding a coding photographer or a photographing coder who wants to build such an app.

I even did a fancy mock-up what what such an app could look like, at least using standard iOS components. I would love to see a more "camera" themed version.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28756/Film%20EXIF%20Data.pdf

sim667
Jun 14, 2011, 05:39 AM
For a while now I have wanted an app (for the iPhone) that would allow me to record "metadata" while shooting with film, where there is a distinct lack of new-fangled digital information.

What I imagine an app like this would have is a simple way to record all of the crucial metadata: shutter speed, aperture, film speed, focal length, etc. But, in addition to that it could use the iPhone's built-in awesomeness to record GPS location or maybe snap a digital version of the location.

The app would have to be able to export the metadata as an XML sidecar file so whatever photo editing/ sorting application could actually use it.

Of course, I would love to build it myself, but (isn't there always a 'but'?) I have no coding skills to speak of. I stopped learning after a bit of BASIC in middle school.

So, this thread has two purposes: 1) finding out what you guys would like to see in such an app and 2) maybe finding a coding photographer or a photographing coder who wants to build such an app.

I even did a fancy mock-up what what such an app could look like, at least using standard iOS components. I would love to see a more "camera" themed version.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28756/Film%20EXIF%20Data.pdf

Hi

I've been thinking about learning how to write iOS apps and am a photography technician and teacher. I think there's also other things you could implement in the app, such as reciprocity failure charts etc etc.... PM me if you're interested in looking into doing something, as I said, i dont know how to code, but I'm seriously thinking about booking myself onto a course to do it.

Have you looked at FNDmobile for iphone too? Its got all b&w development times for films with a varied selection of chemicals.