Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LaMerVipere

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 19, 2004
Chicago
I was so looking forward to getting my new PowerBook on Saturday, so I called the Apple Store on Michigan Avenue to check and see if they were in stock, only to hear that they have none. And they said they didn't know when a new shipment is expected. :(

Then I called the Apple Stores @ Woodfield & Oakbrook only to hear the same crushing news! Even resellers like MicroCenter & CDW didn't have any in stock.

Bad times. :(

On the plus side, for those richer than I, all places had 15" and 17" PowerBooks in stock. Gah.

mcgarry

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2004
dudewheresmymac said:
i have an idea what this could mean.. G5 pbs anyone ? :D :cool:

Yes. This clearly means ....

G5 POWERBOOKS NEXT TUESDAY ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

you heard it here first, people

nerdykarim

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2005
atlanta, ga
i called the atlanta store for about ten days straight before i finally was able to switch...apparently its the most popular model. (12" 1.5 SD)

XIII

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2004
England
LaMerVipere said:
Launching alongside Tiger! :eek: :D :eek: :) :D :eek:

:eek: :eek: Really!?!? :eek: :eek:

Heh, amazon have massive back orders on their PB's, expecially 12"'s, after they ran that $150 rebate.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
THey had a couple at the Mall of America the other day when I was looking.

If they are truely comming out with the G5 Version of the PB, that will make my current decision MUCH harder..

:confused:

mcadam

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2004
københavn
LaMerVipere said:
I was so looking forward to getting my new PowerBook on Saturday, so I called the Apple Store on Michigan Avenue to check and see if they were in stock, only to hear that they have none. And they said they didn't know when a new shipment is expected. :(

Then I called the Apple Stores @ Woodfield & Oakbrook only to hear the same crushing news! Even resellers like MicroCenter & CDW didn't have any in stock.

Bad times. :(

On the plus side, for those richer than I, all places had 15" and 17" PowerBooks in stock. Gah.

Uh, I know that feeling... when I had finally decided to get a 15" 1 1/2 year ago the entire kingdom of Denmark was out of stock. Forcing me to get one of apparently 2 last 17" (with a nice discount) from an obscure provincial dealer.
That was right before the upgrade to 1.33 Ghz...

A

eroda

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2005
there wont be g5 powerbooks more like a major revision mayby, or they just simply didnt account for this ammount of demand and are working their butts off to get new ones made

rosalindavenue

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2003
Virginia, USA
As much as I would like to hope that a PB upgrade is imminent, I have to think that the February update would not have happened if an April-May-June redesign/ upgrade was coming. I suspect that Apple underestimated the demand for the 12" powerbook-- personally (as more of an ibook customer) I think that the "upgrades" from the 12" ibook-- the ram, the videocard, the build quality/ keyboard, the faster, protected hard drive, etc. are worth the extra money-- such that a lot of 12" ibook buyers are getting the PB.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
rosalindavenue said:
As much as I would like to hope that a PB upgrade is imminent, I have to think that the February update would not have happened if an April-May-June redesign/ upgrade was coming. I suspect that Apple underestimated the demand for the 12" powerbook-- personally (as more of an ibook customer) I think that the "upgrades" from the 12" ibook-- the ram, the videocard, the build quality/ keyboard, the faster, protected hard drive, etc. are worth the extra money-- such that a lot of 12" ibook buyers are getting the PB.

At the same time, look at apple history of releases, and system replacement. Some models only lived for a couple of months, sucsessfull or not.

I wouldn't put it past them to do a major upgrade, then a complete model replacement.

Macintosh 2vi had production life of 5 months
Macintosh TV Production life of again 5 months
macintosh powerbook 540 6 month production life
The first powerbook G3 was only alive 4 months.
Imac Rev C about 4 month lifespan
etc.etc.etc.

needless to say, Apple has had, and will continue to have short lifespan models, and revisions.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
840quadra said:

If they are truely comming out with the G5 Version of the PB, that will make my current decision MUCH harder..

Haha, yeah right, they're coming out with a 12" G5 Powerbook, but since the 15" and 17" PBs are still well stocked, they're not getting a G5. Only the smallest, most difficult model to fit a G5 into will get it. ;)

rosalindavenue

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2003
Virginia, USA
840quadra said:
At the same time, look at apple history of releases, and system replacement. Some models only lived for a couple of months, sucsessfull or not.

I wouldn't put it past them to do a major upgrade, then a complete model replacement.

I hope you are right. I'd be ecstatic with a 12" widescreen 7448 G4 powerbook-- the heck with a G5.

marcsiry

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2002
I was unable to find a replacement battery for my PowerBook 12" in ALL OF NEW YORK CITY. I tried the Apple Store and four other dealers. I finally found one in Los Angeles, at Creative Computers on Wilshire (MacMall).

The first gen must be wearing out their batteries (like mine) and causing a run on the market... very annoying.

hansen

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2004
Denmark
Just got a PB 12" on Monday and I'm LOVING it! My first Mac. Sitting in my couch surfing wireless, life is great! A G5 PB on Tuesday can't take this joy away. For all you waiting to buy lets hope for upgrades. For the rest of us, how to get rid of the stupid smile...? ;-)

CaptainCaveMann

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2004
840quadra said:

Yea the all new Apple g5 firebook. :rolleyes: That little 12 inch beast gets hot enough as it is. Its time to wake up from that dream your in. ;)

LaMerVipere

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 19, 2004
Chicago
Update:

I just called the Apple Store on Michigan Avenue (again) a few minutes ago to check and see if they knew when more would be arriving. They are now saying that they're expecting 7 on Monday, with no more arriving until the following Monday.

I asked why the 12" was gone everywhere when the 15" and 17" were in such abundance, and the guy told me they haven't had any 12" PowerBooks in 2 weeks because of an "issue" with the trackpads, and the new ones that are coming supposedly have resolved that "issue".

ham_man

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2005
The Apple store at Barton Creek was out of stock of the 12 inchers when I went in, so I just ordered it. A week later and came and I was free of Winblows tyranny...:)

swindmill

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2005
KY
I just picked up my PB a few weeks ago. Walked in and they had one. I haven't had an issue with the trackpad, I'd be interested to hear if there is an issue

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.