Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Missjenna

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 10, 2010
Washington
I'm looking into buying an external hard drive, but was wondering what people recommend.

I only plan on keeping a back up of my music and iphone files (themes and whatnot) on there.

I would prefer to buy it in store, as I hate waiting for things to come in the mail, lol. I have access to best buy, walmart, target & radio shack.

Thanks for the help :)

msjones

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2007
Nottinghamshire, UK
I would recommend the Passport drives from Western Digital. I have bought several of these for people across my firm and have never had an issue with them. Had a quick look on the best buy site and I confirm they do sell them.

However this my own experience other people may ave different opinions.

benchlegs

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2011
Arizona
Here's a thought. Why not buy a SSD drive to use as your main drive. The speed is awesome!

Then go to newegg and buy a Rosewill SATA 2.5 enclosure (around $12). Clone your existing drive to the new SSD drive using Carbon Copy Cloner (free) and then install the newly cloned SSD drive (there's many youtube videos showing how to do this).

Then take your old internal drive and put it into the Rosewell enclosure and use it as an external hard drive for your music and pics.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.