PDA

View Full Version : New G4 Case Leaked?

MacRumors
Jul 9, 2001, 11:34 PM
MacOSX.org (http://www.macosx.org)
claims to have spy pictures of the new G4 enclosure
due out next week at macworld. Real or not? Either
way, you should
click to see it (http://newg4.macosx.org/) before they get pulled...

http://www.macrumors.com/images/g4top.jpg

tywoods
Jul 9, 2001, 11:44 PM
I like the new case so far.

looks futuristic.
cant't wait till MW

ty

arn
Jul 9, 2001, 11:49 PM
looks like they could be real...

If so, at least some of the rumors running around were true.

arn

ThomasB
Jul 10, 2001, 12:32 AM
If Steve Jobs has stressed that the apple logo is up there with Nike and others, why no apple logo on front?

Could this just be a prototype that will spend the rest of its life in the shop?

I like the current one better anyway.

Macwizzard
Jul 10, 2001, 12:48 AM
Good case, I'm sceptic if it's real or not.

TokyoAussie
Jul 10, 2001, 01:23 AM
That case looks like an anti-climax of expectations.

macdaddy
Jul 10, 2001, 02:36 AM
They look too fake to be real. I would expect apple to produce pictures that were not obviously doctored with photoshop. I would be more likely to believe a hand-rendered picture rather than these. Plus there is an almost Compaq feel about those.

Chevell
Jul 10, 2001, 03:17 AM
Well DOY! I freely admited that they are photoshopped to conceal the location of the shots which will automatically give away the source. The source, BY THE WAY, is not Apple. You think Apple would just GIVE me photos? Lordy. Anyhow, I can guarantee you they are real, but do not take my word for it, wait ti MWNY.
-Chevell

Foocha
Jul 10, 2001, 03:46 AM
These pictures look real to me. I'm suprised that the new enclosure is so similar to the old one - I got the impression that it would look more like the new TiBook. It's not so much a redesign - more a refinement of the original case, which has not changed much since the Blue and White G3.

Apple's designs over the last year have become increasingly minimalistic - moving away from the rounded curves and bright colours that were part of the iMac's original appeal. If these pictures indicate that Apple hasn't abandonded the style of the G4 tower, but has refined it instead, I hope that the same will be true of the new iMac. I think it would be a shame to loose the curves and colours - they have become such a distinctive part of the brand identity.

blakespot
Jul 10, 2001, 05:32 AM
These images really do look real to me. Obviously they're not computer renderings. Especially the 4th image, on the linked-to page. Quite real seeming. There's not a lot of sense, to me, in using one of the iMac's higher-quality speakers (again, one) in the front of the G4, but hey...it does look sorta cool. (Think HAL's eye...) But indeed, now that the user above mentioned it....where is the Apple logo?

The only point that at-all makes me think they might not be real is the lack of logo. As far as "leaked" images that have come close to MW's in the past...these seem to be the real deal. I'd be on these being legit.

Let's see if the cease and decist order comes against that site we linked to. That'll be the sure way to tell... And it should happen in the next day or so...

blakespot

pants
Jul 10, 2001, 06:10 AM
The ice cream box with teh useless handles is old hat. I believe these pictures to be true, but I an mighhty disappointed that this mac enclosure i no radical step away froma design that externally at least, has never cut it with me. All I can say is that great, those comedy childish doors are gone.
I would have killed for a Ti type enclosure, but this will leave me waiting.....

:mad:

hampsoc
Jul 10, 2001, 07:05 AM
These pictures are so obviously fake, they go against all the other indications we've had so far. I just don't believe Apple would produce such an obvious rehash of the G4 tower. I could make this at home, given two hours and some double-sided sticky tape. Oh, I just realised that is exactly what someone has done!

qwerty
Jul 10, 2001, 07:45 AM
im gonna have to agree... i don't think that apple would/should put out an industrial design that looks so much like an old product. 'IF' these pictures are real, the G4 tower will be the only product from apple sporting the translucent plasticy finish of old (bar airport).

why would they want to leave arguably the most important machine in their lineup out of the redesign?

i don't think they would, but then this is apple we are talking about.

also, the bad quality photos don't win me over. even if you had to cut out the background to protect the source, why is there a 'cut 'n' paste' feel about the whole thing. and that blur across the lot...

its nice to have something to take a poke at tho...

InterfaceGuy
Jul 10, 2001, 07:48 AM
If someone thinks they can make this at home I'd like to see them try it. This can't be just an edited G4. Not only are the drive bay doors gone but do are all the stripes that go up the casing. I believe this to be the real deal. The only problem I find though is a white case won't match the displays, IMO. Maybe an additional display will be added. I hope so, I would love a white computer/display, would match my new iBook.

Looks to me like the door over the CD is clear but the door will still open up like the current G4.

This is a proto unit, that might explain why the Apple is gone?

MacRumors
Jul 10, 2001, 07:58 AM
I'd bet money that these are real. As for those that think they're fake becuase they look so much like the current G4 towers...yea, I've heard rumors about an Ti-looking tower...but only recently. For longer, and from more sources, I've heard that Apple is sticking with the basic G4 tower, using a slightly modified faceplate.

To me, this plays directly into the most abundant rumors I've heard on the matter, adding a good bit of credibility to these images, IMHO. We'll see when it's all over (or when letters from Apple legal start flowing about the images...)

blakespot

rickag
Jul 10, 2001, 08:22 AM
This is all nice and everything, but it's what's inside that matters.

Pants
Jul 10, 2001, 08:34 AM
well, if they have put as much thought into the innards as they have the outside, then I suspect a 500 to 733 mhz G4. :mad:

macboy
Jul 10, 2001, 08:47 AM
I suspect that we'll see 633 - 933 or something like that.... maybe Apple will surprise us and will announce a 1 Gigahertz machine that will ship in september.... but announced in New York....

Pants
Jul 10, 2001, 08:48 AM
and Im prepared to bet 5 of Her Majesty finest beer vouchers with anybody here, if these ARE real pics, and such little effort has gone into the revamp, I bet you all that theres no 'great leap forward' in the imac design. More of a little stumble or trip..... and similarly, if these are real, I betya all we dont see a g4 running at 950+mhz. After all, we almost certainly wont be seeing the mystical Puma....

But how Id love to give this fiver away and prevent any further sclerosis....
:mad:

blakespot
Jul 10, 2001, 08:54 AM
The industrial design of the iMac is more important than the G4 towers. The iMacs are more whimsical machines that must be sexy. The G4 towers go to people that are serious about wanting some hard-working, high-end Mac hardware. It should be a bit more "traditional" given the office setting that many of the towers will end up in. I think this slight change in the G4 says nothing about the iMac's design, which I feel will be radically different.

Anyway, I will be buying one of these new G4's (a dual processor machine hopefully!) and I'm pretty happy to see a bit of a change. It's enough that it does weigh as a plus, to me, the new design.

And I'm convinced that these photos are real.

blakespot

Pants
Jul 10, 2001, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by blakespot
The industrial design of the iMac is more important than the G4 towers. The iMacs are more whimsical machines that must be sexy. The G4 towers go to people that are serious about wanting some hard-working, high-end Mac hardware. It should be a bit more "traditional" given the office setting that many of the towers will end up in. I think this slight change in the G4 says nothing about the iMac's design, which I feel will be radically different.

Anyway, I will be buying one of these new G4's (a dual processor machine hopefully!) and I'm pretty happy to see a bit of a change. It's enough that it does weigh as a plus, to me, the new design.

And I'm convinced that these photos are real.

blakespot

Im not sure where your coming from with this blake me boy ;) yes, we are serious about wanting hard working serious hardware. Just we dont seem to get it very often. The "traditional" g4 does look out of place in an office environment - if we wanted tradition, apple should have stuck with the (good) beige g3 tower. As it stands, teh silly plastic doors, daft 'handles' (is the g4 really a piece of roadie equipment??) and finger smudging front shiny front piece just doesnt cut it in an office.

One of the reasons Im prepared to shell out extra on apple tech is the element of design, both internal and external. The Ti book being an exemplary example where I am prepared to shell out over the odds for something I find visually pleasing. Again, the cube is another example. The g4 enclosure on the other hand is just an evolution of a beige box with 'gimmicks' and shiny plastic. its also old, dating back from the blue g3....

generally, if this mac world doesnt surprise me (and a fair few chums too), Im jumping ship for the first time in 15 long years. Its shaping up not too (dual proc i hear you say? like the 500dual is REALLY equivalent to a cheap gig + Athlon in anything other than pshop??or do Apple expect we all run a side business in print preparation? :) ) ...Personally Im getting fed up of waiting for "the next Mac world". like tomorrow, it never seems to quite arrive.....

luxfero
Jul 10, 2001, 09:29 AM
ok if it is true it is a bad news....
What about the extra bay that everybody wanted??
How could you get a professional machine that does not allow you that add a new driver??
The G4 design enclosure is very old now II really hope that something new and more expandable will be introduced at MWNY!

arn
Jul 10, 2001, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by Pants

The g4 enclosure on the other hand is just an evolution of a beige box with 'gimmicks' and shiny plastic. its also old, dating back from the blue g3....

I very much like the current G4 casings. I think they are very different from the "beige box"...

You can't expect Apple to wow/impress every with iteration of machine. Besides - you wouldn't want them to change designs every new Mac they put out. :)

generally, if this mac world doesnt surprise me (and a fair few chums too), Im jumping ship for the first time in 15 long years. Its shaping up not too (dual proc i hear you say? like the 500dual is REALLY equivalent to a cheap gig + Athlon in anything other than pshop??or do Apple expect we all run a side business in print preparation? :) ) ...Personally Im getting fed up of waiting for "the next Mac world". like tomorrow, it never seems to quite arrive.....

It's a bit ironic that you're telling Blake this... :) He had ordered the motherboard/heatsink/cddrive for a 1.4ghz Athlon machine about a week ago... but, then changed his mind.

Staying with Apple/Mac shouldn't necessarily be from the Industrial Design alone.... but the design and the subtle touches are a part of the Apple experience. What should keep you with Apple/Mac is the fineness of the whole solution/implementation. It was getting a bit sketchy for while as Mac OS 9 showed it's age.

Newton OS and the Messagepage 2100, however, was a complete Apple experience (along with poor marketing :) ) - but seriosly, the NewtonOS was insanely fine... as was the industrial design. Similarly, Mac OS X promises to offer a superior solution.... and it has a pretty candy coating for us too... :)

arn

blakespot
Jul 10, 2001, 09:36 AM
Seems like the wrong time to jump ship. I considered it. I can build a 1.4GHz Athlon w/ GeForce 3, RAID drives, etc. for $1,400. And that's in a nice, server-style tower case (expensive). I went as far as to purchase the motherboard, heatsinks, DVD drive, and floppy. Then it hit me. Regardless of how much faster that machine would be than a Mac (and yes, the 1.4GHz Athlon does indeed easily defeat any G4 out there presently)...I just couldn't bring myself to run Windows as my home OS. No. It feels proprietary, after using OS X and its Unix underpinnings.

We're at an early stage with OS X. It's an exciting time. There's new hardware on the way (and I think we'll be seeing dual 733's and potentially dual 8xx's--quite capable of running OS X very, very swiftly). There's native apps on the way--portings of Unix apps, OS 9 apps, PC apps. It's a stable OS using the best kernel out there (Mach + BSD), the most advanced GUI out there, and the single best applciation development toolkit included for free. (NeXTSTEP Developer, which had the precursor to OS X's kernel, and all the same dev tools, used to cost $5,999 -- no hardware in that price.)

It seems this is the worst time to jump ship. So I'm returning/eBay'ing what I've ordered to build the PC and am about to jump on the next G4 offering. I felt I'd regret the move to gravely.

(I admit... part of the decision had to do with me popping in "Pirates of Silicon Valley" the other night and watching a few minutes... made me patriotic.)

blakespot

Pants
Jul 10, 2001, 10:19 AM
I did sign up, but uhh...lost my p/w a while ago.... :(

The value thing in the design is important in that it is tangible evidence of that extra money you spent over and above a pc box. the thing is for me (and Im a solaris boy at work...) is I like the idea of osX, but like with all things computers, they *must* be bought today for use today - not sometime in the future. If you buy for what you *may* be able to do, your wasting your cash, as we all know. As it stands, osX is not that useable today even steve admits that - its lacking apps and speed, which, currently wont be improving it seems until Puma gets a release. If we are all raving tech heads and WANT unix, then linux on a pc is a far cheaper option - albeit uglier (hell, i can even play UT under it! :) ) if we want pretty, but vacuuous and expensive (currently the acne ridden blonde 14 year old to the workaholic brunette), we go osX. The blonde experience may get better, and may grow up to be a babe, but currently the brunette experience gives more satisfaction, especially if your desperate! ;)

As it stands teh mac experience is not that great. sure its a mac - but nVidia drivers are no great shakes in comparison to the pc world, apples memory pricing is a complete comedy, the develpment tools that we would have paid for years ago are all freely downloadable for linux (but, hey thats progress! )....I'd also like to bring up the matter that the US version of the 'digital lifestyle' doesnt cross teh pond. Few Euros want or need a palm top - were to busy fiddling with our mobile phones! :)

Im really really hoping these pics are a fake, and that recent rumours of a top end of 850 mhz are a fib. If not I'll be bidding for your athlon board and getting me a cool case from thinkgeek.!! (will you ship across the pond? :) )

life_magick
Jul 10, 2001, 10:31 AM
I firmly believe these are pictures of machines seeded to a site. I also believe that the reason they are seeded are so the company can test the new configuration (Ram, speed, IO, etc) with their Hardware/Software

However....Apple is known for two things
1) Seeding hardware with enclosures that are not the final model.

2) Seeding different enclosures to different manufacturers as a mechanism for detecting who the leak is.

The pictures look good, but they don't look 'radically different'. (I'll avoid the phrase 'Insanely great') Apple is getting to the point where it really needs to rev the enclosure...with the iMac body rev almost certain, I would not be surprised to see a heavy enclosure rev for the professional desktop as well.

And face it...when it comes to 'enclosures' Apple is good about keeping the lid tightly shut.

Personally, blending out the background or where the Apple Logo may sit may not be enough for this leaker to have gotten his company in quite a bit of trouble.

-Andrew

kdredington
Jul 10, 2001, 11:10 AM
I'd expect a radical departure from the current towers like the iBook and PB. Apple wants to wow us with a newly refined desktop that our new OS will reside in.

Look at the clear side panel... Why the overly large wires, as an electronics tech I know wires that size are not needed. And where's the ram, the heatsink and drives that are so prominent when you open any computer, I don't see any of those through the clear enclosure.

blakespot
Jul 10, 2001, 11:35 AM
That's not a clear side panel! Indeed--where is the PCI backplate? Why are there large round cables inside the unit? What you're seeing is the reflection of a machine sitting next to the G4, in the G4's shiny side. There's no way that's translucent. You can even sort of see a shelf reflection above the G4.

Also...as for radical departures, I've heard more rumors indicate that the G4 towers were going to face slight faceplate modification, and nothing more, for MWNY than rumors that some Ti-iBook looking tower was coming. So the faceplate-only change is consistent with what I expected.

I think the iMac will be radically different, and as such the G4 tower really need not be. Seems to make sense to me. They can throw down a more radical case design for the G4 towers next year, or even half a year away at MWSF. I'm glad to see a change at all, true. Looks sorta sharp to me. What I want most is dual processors.

blakespot

Zaren
Jul 10, 2001, 11:35 AM
Well, those pictures of the Cube that came out prior to release looked too fake to be real, too... ;)

I'd be willing to agree that these are images of prototype boxen. The see-thru sides are a defiinite possibility, shades of the way-cool case conversions one can get for their tired old wintel boxen these days :)

blakespot
Jul 10, 2001, 11:45 AM
It's not a transparent side -- it's reflection. Why would there be a crazy mess of rounded cables all throughout, not to mention no PCI backplate or visible cards, etc.

It is definitely a reflection. Look at the current G4 tower...it's sides are indeed reflective.

I recall the first time this case shape (the El Capitan case design) was seen. The night before Jan '99 MacWorld, someone had sketched out the design on a cocktail napkin and was circulating it...I think it was at appleinsider.com -- nice departure. And it's not thaaat old.

blakespot

blakespot
Jul 10, 2001, 11:47 AM
I would rather it look like this:

http://www.macparc.ch/secret_about_box/

blakespot

ImageVince
Jul 10, 2001, 12:29 PM
Great pictures but how are we supposed to open the optical drive ? idem for ZIP drive.

no button ?

Chevell
Jul 10, 2001, 12:32 PM
They are fake because you believe rumor sites? Well i can see you think they are fak because of the photoshopping, and because of the fact that the pictures are of low quality, but c'mon.. Simply because rumor sites have you wanting to believe that new cases are coming? That is crazy!

As for the quality of the photos, you don't think Apple put the case on a nice grassy, dew covered field for all to partake, do you? The photographer had to be quick and sly to get these photos.

As for the photoshop job, well if i had done a better job it would have actually made them look MORE fake.. I know how you rumor kiddies work!:)

-Chevell
http://www.macosx.org

luxfero
Jul 10, 2001, 12:33 PM
great looking, but where is the second drive bay that we really need?

PaisleyMF
Jul 10, 2001, 12:39 PM
Come on people, this is the old tower modified over Potoshop, Remember that the new CD rom / DVD rom or whatever is slot loading why it need a door to be hidden by. Or a way to access the drive and remove it, replace it. It is almost ovious that it is someone playing with the feeling of thousands of Mac Fans. Please belive what ever, and look up in other Mac rumors pages to verify, some of these places are more real that others

Acke
Jul 10, 2001, 12:42 PM
OF course this picts are not real!!http://www.macrumors.com/forums/images/icons/icon4.gif What are you thinking with? Some nerd thats has played with Photoshop...and played very badly. Bed my head that this is not the G4 we will se at MWNY.
Transparent sides...yeah right...

Jordy
Jul 10, 2001, 03:08 PM
My guess:

These photos are real photos of a real proto in
the field.

My guess is that this proto will not go to
production. It looks like Apple was trying
out ideas of how to simplify and refine the
case so it looks less like what the G4 currently
looks like: a way to house current drive tech
and still have them be functional.

Guess we'll know soon.

simon
Jul 10, 2001, 03:12 PM
What advantage does this faceplate offer?? Why spend loads of money on changing production lines/mouldings etc for this rubbish. Common sense tells you that these are fake, I think the previously unknown site is using these to up their profile.

ps the prespectives are not consistent with the speaker & the on/off button, this indicates obvious cloning in photoshop from two separate sources/photos.

gr8gatzby
Jul 10, 2001, 03:41 PM
for my, and apple's sake, i hope these are not real. what an ugly bloated unoriginal POS. It is barely a departure from the current enclosure and does not coincide with all the talk on the street as of late. I'm not saying that they are fakes or fugazi's, i just hope and pray that they are, that poorly executed excuse for an enclosure would make me switch to winbloze.

belgar
Jul 10, 2001, 03:42 PM
Let me preface this by saying that I initially thought these were real. Now, I think they're probably old prototypes, like someone else suggested.

Here's my justification: I was reading the posts, and someone mentioned "slot loading." SMACK! <ow> iMac -- slot load. TiBook -- slot load. iBook ice -- slot load. That right there is the kicker, as far as I'm concerned. Not that these weren't real machines at some point -- I just don't think they're the final product.

blakespot
Jul 10, 2001, 03:54 PM
Hey, gr8gatzby, the G4 tower with (only) modified faceplate _is_ consistent with most of the rumors that have been circulating over the past month, you'd know if you'd been watching the rumor scene. And as for this case making you swtich to Windows--what sense does that make?? Some generic beige PC tower, or worse a rip-off of these towers done by some PC case manufacturer?? Now you confuse me.

blakespot

Simon
Jul 10, 2001, 04:07 PM
Someguy over at http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com has spotted what it actually is, the picture is actually of the top of the existing model turned onto its front. The other bits were then pasted on. Also accounts why it may appear narrower than the present G4.

daniell
Jul 10, 2001, 04:08 PM
When people warn it might be pulled, sometimes people keep the image, putting on an FTP site or on Gopher.

Is there any chance that's happened here, because I can't see the image and I really want to.

Jordy
Jul 10, 2001, 04:09 PM
Someone correct me if I'm wrong...

My understanding of why G4 towers don't have slot
loading drives is because the pro machine needs the
capability to accomodate different sizes of CDs, for
example, burning CD business cards.

Maybe I'm wrong because why create non standard
CDs if other Apple models can't use them?

emagdnimy
Jul 10, 2001, 04:16 PM
if this really is the new case then it's quite a disapointment. i was really hoping for something innovative. i hope these pictures are fake.

ymarks
Jul 10, 2001, 04:34 PM
While it is possible that they are real, I work for UCACMIC (under cover apple case makers international corp.) and these are the real cases that were emailed to me by my department head Mr. Iam F. Ache last week.
Please note that these are modified to hide the sources
http://marky.4mg.com/g4.jpg

gr8gatzby
Jul 10, 2001, 04:58 PM
i am anal, i am retentive, i am vain, i am a mac user. asthetics are everything. i would rather use a winbloze box than a poorly designed mac, at least the winblows box would have an excuse. the mac has none, it has an obligation to it's loyal followers to be nothing short of sexy and eye poppingly beuatiful just to stare at from any angle, and this "new enclosure" does not come close to living up to these requirements.

does it make sense? no. this is warped logic. but that's just the way it is.

Originally posted by blakespot
Hey, gr8gatzby, the G4 tower with (only) modified faceplate _is_ consistent with most of the rumors that have been circulating over the past month, you'd know if you'd been watching the rumor scene. And as for this case making you swtich to Windows--what sense does that make?? Some generic beige PC tower, or worse a rip-off of these towers done by some PC case manufacturer?? Now you confuse me.

blakespot

[Edited by gr8gatzby on 07-10-2001 at 06:02 PM]

eyelikeart
Jul 10, 2001, 05:06 PM
I think that a lot of you guys out there are getting your panties all in a bunch over trying to prove whether or not the pics are real. Afterall, this is a "rumor" site which means they could very well be the real thing or fakes. Why not just wait MWNY to find out what the real scoop is??

macboy
Jul 10, 2001, 05:14 PM
If they are real then we as mac users will have to except them.... when the Blue dalmation and Flower Power iMacs were released we thought that was a bad move on Apple's Part! Now they are big sellers!!! Apple has always been creative and if these are the real thing then I guess we don't have to buy it we can just look at them.... I don't see what the problem is with them.... Besides the poor quality of picture..... go to http://www.go2mac.com and take a look at the article about them....

blakespot
Jul 10, 2001, 05:37 PM
Interesting...

It seems the page with the "spy" photos has been pulled... Could be a confirmation. (Could be simple cloak-and-dagger smoke.) Draw your own.

Personally, I think that validates macosx.org's claims that these were authentic pix.

blakespot

blakespot
Jul 10, 2001, 05:50 PM
The page's title, "Pax; et Cupertino sugerat," as far as I can tell, translates to "Peace, and Cupertino Sucks."

Telling. IMHO.

blakespot

macboy
Jul 10, 2001, 06:42 PM
I still think that Apple is releasing new power macs with a new case.... and it will be as said before slot-loading.... personally I like the quad g4 case but the quad part ya right...

thinmann
Jul 10, 2001, 07:11 PM
I started crying after I saw the slot loading quad processor because it was killer,....then when I saw the spy photos I started crying again because I killed myself....

Please someone agree with me that apple is way too creative to make these weak changes.

lonedawg
Jul 10, 2001, 07:37 PM
if anyone missed the pictures
try http://www.madhamster.org

personally, i like the new G4 pictures, the G4's haven't been changed in design for like forever, its good to see something new for a change.

i dont know about you but i am expecting big things at the expo.

Thin Ice
Jul 10, 2001, 07:48 PM
'kay,

Apple are releasing new iMacs soon right?

Would Apple risk introducing two totally new models at the same time? No. Faults with both simultaneously would kill them.

So presume Apple are working on a totally new tower but this is a cosmetic update to sell a few more towers until the "real" new tower arrives later.

Basically, don't get stung by buying one of these. It's like buying a key lime iBook.

And hey, stop criticising beige. My B&W monitor has blown up. Can anyone recommend a B&W replacement monitor to match my B&W tower? Beige rocks!

graffix
Jul 10, 2001, 07:55 PM
The new iBook doesn't have a slot-loading CD Drive... it's got the same style drive as the old version.
I've known Chevell (who runs macosx.org) for quite some time and he's never given any indication that he would be prone to posting fake photos and trying to pass them off as real... that's just not the kinda guy he is. If you happen to snoop around MacOSX.org a bit, you'll see that his intention is to help inform users about information that is Mac-related... he's not trying to dupe anyone...
besides... he already got his C-A-D letter, so the photos are gone... now we'll just have to wait a week and see how close they are to what is released... of if they were pre-production models like someone else had suggested...
I just wanted to say Chevy's not a shyster... far from it in fact.
g.

Thin Ice
Jul 10, 2001, 08:22 PM
I haven't seen one. Is the SuperDrive slot loading?

Kasimir
Jul 10, 2001, 11:02 PM
Well,
when I saw these pictures at the middle of yesterday (german time), I was really disappointed. This was because I considered them to be real at the first sight, because they fit so well to the description of "The Naked Mole Rat" (look at http://www.appleturns.com, posted a few days ago) and other rumors, and I didn't like the design very much.
But I have thought about them over the day and looked at them again, and now I know, they are fake!

Please, look at those pictures again, and consider what I say:

At first, look at the G4 picture from the side, and at the "translucency", which macosx.org claims, that the "new G4s" feature.
Everyone who has ever opened a computer in his life knows, that there are no computers who look like this inside, not even macs ;-)
Especially, what shall these curled cables be, and where are the drive bays inside, etc.???

So, someone here has claimed that what you see must be a reflection, not a translucency.
Then, please tell me, what kind of material is the G4s case made of?? It reflects like a mirror, but is still white plastic? -whouoo-?
And even considered it would be a reflection, what cracy stuff can you see in it??

Second: What kind of drive bays on the front panel shall that be? They appear to have solid, transparent plastic in front. Where shall the CD-rom (or DVD-R) fit in? For me, they look far too small for a 5,25" Drive.
(and even, if apple had a cd-rom, that would fit in this bay, what sense would a secound bay have, if no other drive would fit in?

The third point is that it would be far too expensive to develop a new case, that is so similar, but a little slimmer as macosx.org claims, than the old one (you would have to adopt all machines,...)
And why should Apple ever to this??

'Get a clou?

It could be, that the real enclosure of the new G4 we see at MWNY is somehow similar to those pictures (the old one?!), but what we can see here is definitely a stupid but great photoshop fake!
I'll bet with you!!

and I'll win! ;-)

and sorry for my lousy english.

Solipsys
Jul 11, 2001, 12:23 AM
was no one here bright enough to actually grab the pics so the rest of us could see them if they got pulled? could you please share them if you did?

BLAH!
Jul 11, 2001, 12:34 AM
No one saw the Imac coming... This is disinfo... Apple has mastered it.

peace out

Solipsys
Jul 11, 2001, 12:41 AM
caught the link someone left, thanks.
disappointing anyway. those are obvious fakes. apple would never put out a computer quite that ugly. the "new" design features look like something out of a doctor who episode. this was photoshopped together by someone with a serious lack of design sense.
apple pulled it off macosx.org 'cause they were embarrassed by the mere chance that someone would mistake that hoax for one of their designs :)

Macwizzard
Jul 11, 2001, 12:43 AM
After thought, the case is ugly, and it is a fake. IF not, I will be very sad and Apple will have to discontinue such a disgusting looking product.

nakedmusic
Jul 11, 2001, 05:26 AM
Apple could put that beautiful motherboard in a shoebox and i would still buy it. You just cant beat the Mac OS!

:P

blakespot
Jul 11, 2001, 07:02 AM
No, the G4's case is not translucent. Yes, it's white yet also reflective. ...like a white surface that's shiny. Have you never before seen the current G4 tower's side??

I am baffled that people keep thinking this is a translucent casing. IT would seem that these are people who are thrown into a tempest of horror when they behold themselves in a mirror, the scary encounter with something so reflective.

blakespot

hampsoc
Jul 11, 2001, 07:09 AM
I agree, the current G4 case *is* reflective. If you really want to know, Kasimir, in mine I can see a reflection of my tangerine (soon to be replaced) iMac.

Klownhaus
Jul 11, 2001, 08:24 AM
This is NOT a fake. But it is also not what we are going to be seeing in MWNY. This is probably just a protoype of the original G4 that is still sitting around that someone grabed some photos of. This is just my opinion and if they are released at MWNY, I will be suprised. But like many have said before, I dont think Stevie and Apple would take the time and $$ to release something so similar to the original enclosure that has been around since the the ol' G3 B&W. If we dont see a new G4 enclosure at MWNY, We will see it early next year. But this would be a big error on Apple's part to release such a similar looking case.

Another question you would have to ask yourself, "why would Apple choose to take step backward in design." This thing is ugly anyway.

[Edited by Klownhaus on 07-11-2001 at 10:15 AM]

eyelikeart
Jul 11, 2001, 10:03 AM
Even though my opinion on whether or not they are fakes is completely neutral, I did manage to save the images for my own curiosities...

anyone wants them let me know...

zon7
Jul 11, 2001, 10:38 AM
Finaly ceased.It must mean something, no?

SomeoneElse
Jul 11, 2001, 11:10 AM
Here is my take on the images, and for any one who hasn't seen them goto http://www.macosx.org/images/?M=A so you can see what I mean.

!) The images where supposedly edited to hide the identity of the person who took the photos. But if you goto the link above there is an "unedited" version of the angled view of the G4. Here you can see that it is the top of a current G4 model because it is not standing on anything.

2) Look at the close up because I don't know about any body else but I thought that zip drives were smaller than a CD. Not vise versa.

3) That is supposed to be transparent plastic on the zip drive right? Or is it some kind of new force field apple has been developing to keep the dust out because I don't think I could get a zip in there.

4) There FAKE!

hampsoc
Jul 11, 2001, 11:33 AM
Also:

4) They're fake.

hampsoc
Jul 11, 2001, 11:41 AM
Actually, come to think of it, let's see some proof of that CDO. I don't even believe Apple would bother with such an obvious fake. If you think about it, it can only make the genuine G4 successor even more desirable when it is finally unveiled. If we all sit around depressing ourselves because the new G4 is a slight update only, then when we see the sexy MF in a couple of weeks, we'll be rushing out to buy one ASAP.

anotherguy
Jul 11, 2001, 11:54 AM
http://www.garone.net/anthony/newg4close3.jpg

It's a boring work day, so I thought I would look at the images here on my cheezy peecee "Paint" application. It would seem to me that an image taken this close to the computer would seem to have proper angling of the drives (i.e. they should be parallel to each other). But, who knows? I'm no imaging expert...

Klownhaus
Jul 11, 2001, 12:34 PM
I see a big - "haha we fooled you" coming down right after MWNY.

Macwizzard
Jul 11, 2001, 12:41 PM
That unedited picture proves the product is fake or apple is making a top loading tower.

arn
Jul 11, 2001, 03:35 PM
The arguement against the claim that this is a G4 on it's side is this:

http://www.macosx.org/images/newg4side.jpg

The Apple logo is right side up on the side of the G4.

thinmann
Jul 11, 2001, 04:29 PM
making the appple logo look right side up is simple, just look at this I did in 5 seconds.

http://personal.bhm.bellsouth.net/bhm/n/i/nickwebb/

justin
Jul 11, 2001, 05:15 PM
These pics are obviously fakes or prototype models. I will belive it when I see it in about a week. This same thing happened when the Ti book was going to be released. Their were plenty of "authentic" pictures leaked at that time to. None of which were even remotely close.

gr8gatzby
Jul 11, 2001, 06:07 PM
i've posted the G4 pics at my site, http://www.blueleafclover.com/html/unoriginal.html, for those whom are experiencing the incredibly slow load times of the rumors sites, due to the high traffic.

Classic
Jul 11, 2001, 07:32 PM
It appears there is yet another image pointing to the claims originally made by macosx.org.

Check out http://www.go2mac.com/ for a slightly cleaner new G4 look.

By the way, that remotely hosted image at go2mac actually resides at:

http://www.saltymonkey.com/newg4clear.jpg

The saga continues..... as any photoshop user can be playing tricks.

blakespot
Jul 12, 2001, 08:50 AM
gr8gatsby,

That's not a zip drive. In this prototype or whatever it is, I believe it has a dual DVD and CD-RW drive, as many high-end PC's are sold with. It would seem that the time of the Zip drive has passed. Blank CD-R's are what, $.50? And you get 6.5x the storage of a Zip 100 disk.

(Tho I will have to add one to whatever Mac I get after MWNY becuase I use Zip's to ferry data between my Mac and my Amiga 1200 '060!)

blakespot

hampsoc
Jul 12, 2001, 08:55 AM
Actually you are both wrong it is not a zip drive or a cd drive. It is in fact a BSdrive which has a capacity of 10Gbytes and can used normal CDR, DVD-R or CDRW media. It will come free in the new Apple MAC G4 available for cut and paste at a Photoshop application near you.

Macwizzard
Jul 12, 2001, 07:23 PM
don' t they sell those at http://www.inyourdreamsifyourelucky.com?

arn
Jul 18, 2001, 09:37 AM
Looks like those pics on MacOSX.org were legit.

arn

hampsoc
Jul 18, 2001, 10:23 AM
Oh dear. Oh dear. Oh dear.

Chevy
Jul 18, 2001, 01:07 PM
C'mon guys... You should know better than to bash things of which you have no solid data. This is why I don't post things that I don't know are a fact. Otherwise you end up looking really stupid when all is said and done. Thanks for the support from those who believed me.
-Chevell
http://www.macosx.org

Chronyk
Jul 18, 2001, 01:36 PM
Hahahaha

They were right all along. Looks like most people on this thread are going to be eating humble pie. (Then switching to Wintel)

I think it's pretty good myself. Shame about the rest of MW though...

samy85114
Jan 4, 2002, 12:03 PM
the Tower picture is no longer available on that site, i try to reach the site... doesn't work

hampsoc
Jan 4, 2002, 12:43 PM
That was last year you numpty.

liven2
Jan 4, 2002, 04:31 PM
If these were not real why did Apple pull all teh listed sites down... every link in this thread is not working now this tells me that they are real pictures! I wish I could of saw them before all links were wiped clean...

Sigh!.... Well at least we know teh G4 looks kinda different but that is all.... SOOoooooo soooo much we do not know...

hampsoc
Jan 4, 2002, 04:39 PM
Look at the dates of the previous posts. THIS WAS AT THE TIME OF MWNY! THE PICTURE IS OF WHAT WAS A QUICKSILVER PROTOTYPE.

Jeeeez.

Anyway, I remember everyone being a bit disapointed with the results. MWSF should be good though....

MacAztec
Jan 4, 2002, 04:39 PM
Its like a mix of the Quicksilver and the Old G4!

theranch
Jan 4, 2002, 05:19 PM
The case is the same as the current quicksilver. It's just the lighting and cropping that make it look different. That must be one of the test models in a current case.
http://www.macosx.org/newg4.html

GeeYouEye
Jan 5, 2002, 04:25 AM
THESE ARE PICS FROM BEFORE MWNY 2001, hasn't anyone in the lst 5 posts realized that yet??????? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

eyelikeart
Jan 5, 2002, 01:51 PM
I wish they would quit responding to it so I wouldn't get anymore emails from it....