Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
N

nostromo77

Original poster
Just wondering,

How will we be able to do a clean install (erase and install on HDD) via the AppStore??

I would like to start afresh on my MacBook Pro i7, so, how exactly am I able to do a fresh install on my Mac?

As wonderful as the new OS X looks like, my main worry here is that the system will not be as steady, fast or responsive. The current OS as with my experience often seem to slow down for each update given by Apple. It was blazing fast when I got it, sure I got some apps on it, sure it's not an empty drive but seriously, it's just not very responsive anymore. What I wish this new OS to be is to be somehow secured on the section of the HDD that will always be fast and responsive.

Anyway, if anyone has a clue if we can still buy the DVDs for this install to do a clean install, would be great if you could share it.

Thanks

:)

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Install it from App Store, then boot from the recovery partition and use its Disk Utility to wipe the drive. Then simply reinstall the OS and it will be a clean install.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
It's easy!

The Lion installer you download from the App Store will create a Recovery Partition on your internal hard drive. All you have to do is boot from that partition, and you will be able to access not only disk utility but the entire Lion installer (well, after it downloads, again). That will let you erase your whole system and do a fresh install!

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
You can also create a USB stick/DVD that contains the full installer.

Instructions here:

http://www.macgasm.net/2011/06/13/reinstall-lion-disc/

When you purchase Lion, it places an “Install Lion” icon in your dock. Just right click that icon and choose “Show in Finder.” From there, right click the icon and choose “Show Package Contents.” Inside the installation package you’ll find an “InstallESD.dmg” disk image. Just drag that disk image into the sidebar of Disk Utility, and insert a USB flash drive or hard drive. Then, partition the drive (one partition is fine, but you must partition to get access to the advanced options) using the GUID partition table. Finally, choose the “Restore” tab, dragging your “InstallESD.dmg” from the sidebar to the “Source” box, and the flash drive partition to the “Destination” box. Then click “Restore”. This will create a bootable Lion installer in about 10-15 minutes, which will contain all of Lion, not just that wimpy “Recovery” mode, from which you can perform a complete install. This lets you install Lion without even connecting to the internet, or checking with Apple first, because the disk image was restored from a pre-downloaded copy of Lion already purchased and authorized on the Mac App Store. If you don’t have or want to use a flash drive or USB hard drive, this procedure also works with a blank DVD. Just skip the GUID partitioning bit and you’ll be good to go.

B

N

nostromo77

Original poster
You guys are awesome!

Thank you!

So you recommend me to partition my HDD and only have my MacOS X on i? It will always keep my system fresh and fast? Wow I used to do this back in the MacOS 9 and early X days but forgot about it!

So how big do you suggest my MacOS X drive to be? I mean, if I install FCP and Adobe etc, it will eat up a huge chunk so if I make my HDD drive a 10GB for the OS it won't be enough would it? Or does it put the Application Support somewhere else?

Wait I think I just came up with the above stupidity... sorry I misread the partition bit... but it wouldn't work would it? I wish I had a SSD drive for the OS x only and the rest of the apps on a HDD.

Last edited by a moderator:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.