PDA

View Full Version : Deleting photos in your Photostream

Pages : [1] 2

kristoffers4
Jun 14, 2011, 08:02 AM
Hi,

I've set up iCloud on my mac and iPhone and I turned on Photostream, which is an awesome thing to have. Every picture I take with my iPhone gets streamed to the cloud and to my iMac. But here's the annoying thing: EVERY picture I take with my iPhone gets streamed to the cloud. Now I have way too much photos of me in embarrassing situations and positions and I can't find a way to delete them. They all appear on my iMac and in the cloud. To be honest, that's not exactly what I want. So does anyone have an idea how to delete these photos? (I know they will be deletend in 30 days, but I want them deleted now.)

Macsterguy
Jun 14, 2011, 08:09 AM
Wow, I have no idea how to delete them but Anthony Weiner is going to have alot of company in rehab if that's the case....

I think I would turn the function off if possible...

TheOriginalKi
Jun 14, 2011, 08:38 AM
This thread is useless without pictures. :eek:

Seriously though, I hope you figure it out.

Wow, I have no idea how to delete them but Anthony Weiner is going to have alot of company in rehab if that's the case....

I think I would turn the function off if possible...

I have it turned off - so yup, you can.

kristoffers4
Jun 14, 2011, 08:49 AM
I have it turned off - so yup, you can.

But I like having the feature, it's really handy but I just want to find a way to delete some of the photos...

^^BIGMac
Jun 14, 2011, 09:42 AM
This thread is useless without pictures. :eek:
Well played Tony.

adamstech
Jun 14, 2011, 10:53 PM
What else have you uploaded to the cloud? I think the only way is to wait 30 days or use the delete account button then establish a new account. Maybe when it's out of beta we will be able to delete photos. But for now you are stuck.

Sorry.

HelveticaNeue
Jun 15, 2011, 09:19 AM
Your post certainly stirs one's imagination as to what embarrassing situations you are getting yourself into.

Personally, I would rather that Photostream was just a synced folder on all devices that you could choose which photos to upload into the Photostream for syncing, rather than having every photo immediately uploaded into iCloud whether I want it to or not.

I take photos everyday for work and I don't really want hundred of photos of construction sites showing up on my iPad and Mac at home. Guess I will just leave the feature off.

thunderbunny
Jun 19, 2011, 03:36 AM
Curiously the iPad photostream has a delete button appear when you select photos, whereas the iPhone doesn't. But it doesn't work, at least not on my iPad. Currently unable to delete from iPhone, iPad and iPhoto.

EgbertAttrick
Jun 20, 2011, 01:28 AM
In Settings > Photos, you can turn it off, which will delete all photos in the stream, and then turn it back on. I don't see an option to delete individual pics, however. I'm sure we will see this feature in the final release, though.

obamtl
Jun 21, 2011, 07:32 AM
In Settings > Photos, you can turn it off, which will delete all photos in the stream, and then turn it back on. I don't see an option to delete individual pics, however. I'm sure we will see this feature in the final release, though.

Doesn't work. I am honestly starting to get pissed with this iCloud thing. Without the power to determine what you keep on the cloud it is a real invasion of privacy. It's the same thing with your apps history. You cannot permanently delete any app you ever downloaded from your apps history.

thunderbunny
Jun 21, 2011, 11:57 AM
Doesn't work. I am honestly starting to get pissed with this iCloud thing. Without the power to determine what you keep on the cloud it is a real invasion of privacy. It's the same thing with your apps history. You cannot permanently delete any app you ever downloaded from your apps history.

Don't sign up for an iCloud account then, it's not mandatory.

soco
Jun 21, 2011, 11:59 AM

Please keep in mind three things:

1. This product is in beta.

2. This product is free!

3. This product is brand new. Give it time to mature and gain/perfect features.

obamtl
Jun 21, 2011, 04:38 PM
Don't sign up for an iCloud account then, it's not mandatory.

Some aspects of iCloud are already in use in iOS 4.3.3 for ALL iPhone and iPad users and you can't switch them off. If you visit the App store on your device, under updates, you will notice that your apps are now shared between your devices over the cloud regardless of whether you want it to or not. So if you ever downloaded something on your phone and you share an account with your wife, or your kids, that app becomes visible on their phones too.

obamtl
Jun 21, 2011, 04:40 PM

2. This product is free!

This product is in beta, it's free and it's brand new... all fine, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't have opinions on the work in progress. Apple had better not make the mistake of taking privacy lightly when they launch the service

kristoffers4
Jun 21, 2011, 04:41 PM
Some aspects of iCloud are already in use in iOS 4.3.3 for ALL iPhone and iPad users and you can't switch them off. If you visit the App store on your device, under updates, you will notice that your apps are now shared between your devices over the cloud regardless of whether you want it to or not. So if you ever downloaded something on your phone and you share an account with your wife, or your kids, that app becomes visible on their phones too.

So don't download any naughty applications :D

kristoffers4
Jun 21, 2011, 04:49 PM

2. This product is free!

It's not free, you have to pay at least $699 for the cheapest mac and at least $229 for the cheapest iOS devices. It's not free at all. And now you can see that it's something new for existing mac/iOS device-owners but that's just bull, you've paid enough for the product so we can expect decent products/services.

Now I do agree that it's still in beta, I understand that they are still bugs. I just wanted to share my experience with you guys and I wanted to know if the issue that I'm having is something other people are experiencing as well.

FreeState
Jun 21, 2011, 08:00 PM
It's not free, you have to pay at least $699 for the cheapest mac and at least $229 for the cheapest iOS devices.

You can get a qualifying iOS device for $149

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/ipod/ipod_touch?mco=MTk3NTAwMTU

rever3nce
Jun 22, 2011, 02:35 AM
i ran into this problem too ... its kinda scary lol . i was just messing with it luckily and i have just 1 random photo on there .... question is , if someone sends me a photo and i save it to my iphone in camera roll does it go to cloud and to my other devices as well???

iandean
Jul 13, 2011, 02:53 AM
I'm seriously hoping apple adds a delete button by the time it's out of beta. But I've found a kinda workaround... for any embarressing/naked photos you don't want, crop to blank area in the photo and save to camera roll. this then replaces the original photo.... on my iPad at least. I believe it's still possible to revert to the original, but it still lessens the chance of these ending up in the wrong eyes.

not that I have such photos, of course ;)

TraceyS/FL
Jul 13, 2011, 05:59 AM
So when I take a screen shot of my data usage it will end up there?!?! And the, "stupid driving around north Florida" pictures my DD took yesterday?

Ugh. I don't see myself using this feature when the time comes.

I hope you guys are giving apple the feedback/bug reports on it!!

thunderbunny
Jul 13, 2011, 01:26 PM
If you're very concerned about your photo stream just turn wi-wi off, give yourself chance to delete incriminating or embarrassing photos from your camera roll before they get uploaded to the stream.

Currently some photos don't get uploaded so you may strike it lucky.

Or just use individual accounts. Easy.

kevtucker
Jul 16, 2011, 10:31 AM
Hi,

I've set up iCloud on my mac and iPhone and I turned on Photostream, which is an awesome thing to have. Every picture I take with my iPhone gets streamed to the cloud and to my iMac. But here's the annoying thing: EVERY picture I take with my iPhone gets streamed to the cloud. Now I have way too much photos of me in embarrassing situations and positions and I can't find a way to delete them. They all appear on my iMac and in the cloud. To be honest, that's not exactly what I want. So does anyone have an idea how to delete these photos? (I know they will be deletend in 30 days, but I want them deleted now.)

If you download iPhone Explorer you can delete them with that. they are stored in /Media/PhotoStreamsData/100Apple

Kev

mattdo93
Jul 17, 2011, 02:11 AM
If you download iPhone Explorer you can delete them with that. they are stored in /Media/PhotoStreamsData/100Apple

Kev

I can confirm that this works for me. Except I used i-FunBox since I'm on Windows.

shandyman
Jul 17, 2011, 05:36 PM
I can confirm that this works for me. Except I used i-FunBox since I'm on Windows.

how do you do it? i deleted it from the device in that folder, but it's still on the device?!

Apple had a delete button on the iPad on beta 1, but it was greyed out, now it's gone.

I really wanna have a delete function! :(

TraceyS/FL
Jul 17, 2011, 08:14 PM
I got to thinking about this today.... Maybe having the screen shots of how far behind in child support my ex is, in a public photo stream wouldn't be a bad thing!! ;):D

aussiejames
Jul 23, 2011, 09:14 AM
Here's a work around I just figured out (and tested). If you SAVE the photos off the photostream, and then delete them from the device, they seem to be deleted from the photostream. Perhaps others could confirm? I did this on iOS 5 beta 4.

shandyman
Jul 23, 2011, 10:47 AM
Here's a work around I just figured out (and tested). If you SAVE the photos off the photostream, and then delete them from the device, they seem to be deleted from the photostream. Perhaps others could confirm? I did this on iOS 5 beta 4.

nope, didn't work. the test pic i used is still there

d21mike
Jul 23, 2011, 01:12 PM
nope, didn't work. the test pic i used is still thereSo you can no longer organize your Photo's into Events in iPhoto? Currently when I take a picture it gets put in the Camera Roll. When I connect to my computer, iPhoto starts up and I can upload my pictures from the Camera Roll into iPhoto and I get a prompt to delete them from my Camera Roll. Then I organize my photos in iPhoto and when I Sync my phone via iTunes they are put back on my phone but now they are organized into events. Are you saying with Photo Steam this is not longer possible. My photos are just loaded into 1 huge folder called Photo Stream?

shandyman
Jul 23, 2011, 01:16 PM
So you can no longer organize your Photo's into Events in iPhoto? Currently when I take a picture it gets put in the Camera Roll. When I connect to my computer, iPhoto starts up and I can upload my pictures from the Camera Roll into iPhoto and I get a prompt to delete them from my Camera Roll. Then I organize my photos in iPhoto and when I Sync my phone via iTunes they are put back on my phone but now they are organized into events. Are you saying with Photo Steam this is not longer possible. My photos are just loaded into 1 huge folder called Photo Stream?

we weren't talking about iPhoto... we were talking about doing it on the device only, saving from photostream then deleting the saved photo from photostream from the camera roll (unless i am missing something). no1 mentioned iPhoto....... he said about doing it in iOS5 beta 4 only.

also camera roll still exists and i would assume still does what it does pre-iOS5, i wouldn't know as i don't have a mac. i assume you'll get one that's photostream ontop of your current way.

d21mike
Jul 23, 2011, 01:22 PM
we weren't talking about iPhoto... we were talking about doing it on the device only, saving from photostream then deleting the saved photo from photostream from the camera roll (unless i am missing something). no1 mentioned iPhoto....... he said about doing it in iOS5 beta 4 only.

also camera roll still exists and i would assume still does what it does pre-iOS5, i wouldn't know as i don't have a mac. i assume you'll get one that's photostream ontop of your current way.I was referring to the comment about you can "If you SAVE the photos off the photo stream," and then it was said could not. I think people were saying there was NO WAY to delete photo's from Photo Stream which me to ask, does that mean you can no longer "save them" in iPhoto and then you could of course delete them from there. Or maybe something other then iPhoto, like in your Pictures Folder.

shandyman
Jul 23, 2011, 01:27 PM
I was referring to the comment about you can "If you SAVE the photos off the photo stream," and then it was said could not. I think people were saying there was NO WAY to delete photo's from Photo Stream which me to ask, does that mean you can no longer "save them" in iPhoto and then you could of course delete them from there. Or maybe something other then iPhoto, like in your Pictures Folder.

he later said about doing all that he said he did on iOS5 beta 4.

you can save any photo in a photostream. our problem is that we cannot delete one that's in the stream. i can delete photos from my 'my photostream' folder on windows and from camera roll on my iPhone and iPad, but going into the photostream section on the latter 2 devices and my apple TV still shows the photos, that's what we were talking about.

d21mike
Jul 23, 2011, 06:18 PM
he later said about doing all that he said he did on iOS5 beta 4.

you can save any photo in a photostream. our problem is that we cannot delete one that's in the stream. i can delete photos from my 'my photostream' folder on windows and from camera roll on my iPhone and iPad, but going into the photostream section on the latter 2 devices and my apple TV still shows the photos, that's what we were talking about.
So does this mean that if you save your pictures to a folder / event you then have duplicate pictures your phone. Like 1 in an event folder like Soccer Game and 1 in Photo Stream Folder. So every picture I take appears in 2 folders after I save it to an event folder. If so, this makes no sense.

shandyman
Jul 23, 2011, 06:31 PM
So does this mean that if you save your pictures to a folder / event you then have duplicate pictures your phone. Like 1 in an event folder like Soccer Game and 1 in Photo Stream Folder. So every picture I take appears in 2 folders after I save it to an event folder. If so, this makes no sense.

dunno, like i said, i don't have iPhoto, but from what i understand, photostream will have a copy of your last 1000 photos taken with your iDevice or added to your stream, it's in addition to the way it currently works.

All i know is that any photo in the camera roll is copied to photostream, so on my device it's in 2 places. my photostream under windows is a folder where they all save to, so i don't have to plug my iPhone in and take the photos from the camera roll manually.

thunderbunny
Jul 24, 2011, 12:57 AM
Photo stream photos are clearly indestructible. Just tried turning photo stream off on iPad - you get an option to delete from device or keep. Chosing delete and even doing a reset only hides the photo stream and doesn't delete the pics - turn it on again and they're all back instananeously. Can't have downloaded 1000 photos in the time it ok me to get back to the photo app.

I don't mind photo stream pushing my photos from my mobile devices, I'm more likely to lose my phone/iPad than anything else so sending from phone is ideal. Also good for immediate archive of dslr photos via camera connector and iPad .

What I don't like is when I import pictures into new events on iPhoto (not in the photo stream) events and I get all those photos copied over to the mobile devices.

shandyman
Jul 24, 2011, 04:57 AM
What I don't like is when I import pictures into new events on iPhoto (not in the photo stream) events and I get all those photos copied over to the mobile devices.

the plus side to having windows is that we chose what goes from the PC to photostream when copying photos to our PC :D if we want them in the photostream, we choose to drag them into the upload folder in the Photostream folder in 'My Pictures'

DrDomVonDoom
Jul 27, 2011, 01:57 PM
the plus side to having windows is that we chose what goes from the PC to photostream when copying photos to our PC :D if we want them in the photostream, we choose to drag them into the upload folder in the Photostream folder in 'My Pictures'

But doesn't that negate the whole point of the syncing experiance? Why use iCloud if your gonna use it like flickr?

shandyman
Jul 27, 2011, 03:48 PM
But doesn't that negate the whole point of the syncing experiance? Why use iCloud if your gonna use it like flickr?

not at all, so you're saying that it's ok to only have the last 1000 photos taken on your iOS device only? the point is that it's the last 1000 photos you've taken on any device.

thunderbunny
Jul 27, 2011, 04:10 PM

Syncing iPhone/iPad up to Mac is fine for me, I don't want any photo I put into iTunes synced back to the mobile devices.

arras
Aug 1, 2011, 05:37 AM
Little dismayed that there isn't an easier option to delete photos from the photostream. I get what Apple is trying to do with iCloud and Photostream, but a delete button sure would come in handy.

Anyways, a workaround that I discovered: If Photo stream only captures the last 30 days, then make the offending photo(s) (or photo you just don't want in the stream/cloud) older than 30 days.
This, combined with deleting the photo using an iphone explorer program should make that file gone. Right? Sounds like it should.

I had a file I wanted gone and in iPhoto I adjusted the date (in iPhoto 9.2 - highlight the photo, select Photos and then Adjust Date/Time), I rolled the time back 6 months just to be sure and poof it was gone. I'm waiting for my various devices to update, but hopefully that'll be the short trick until Apple remembers how to code in a delete button :)

thunderbunny
Aug 1, 2011, 01:12 PM
Syncing iPhone/iPad up to Mac is fine for me, I don't want any photo I put into iTunes synced back to the mobile devices.

For iTunes read iPhoto. Probably drunk when I wrote this.

PNutts
Aug 8, 2011, 09:17 PM
For iTunes read iPhoto. Probably drunk when I wrote this.

Nah, I was drunk when I read it, and it made perfect sense. :p

kellygeorge
Aug 19, 2011, 11:20 AM
This really needs to be addressed before the final release. I can imagine a couple bad scenarios:
1. A guy browsing around on the web saves some dirty pics to his phone, next thing you know they are on his wifes phone as well, with no way to delete them.
2. Teen takes some slutty nudie pics to message her bf, suddenly those pics are on her phone, dads phone, moms phone, dads iPad, the laptop, the desktop, and the appletv slideshow that grandma and grandpa are currently viewing!

Better make sure everyone has their own apple account.

thunderbunny
Aug 19, 2011, 11:34 AM
This really needs to be addressed before the final release. I can imagine a couple bad scenarios:
1. A guy browsing around on the web saves some dirty pics to his phone, next thing you know they are on his wifes phone as well, with no way to delete them.
2. Teen takes some slutty nudie pics to message her bf, suddenly those pics are on her phone, dads phone, moms phone, dads iPad, the laptop, the desktop, and the appletv slideshow that grandma and grandpa are currently viewing!

How can I get access to their photo streams?

kellygeorge
Aug 19, 2011, 02:33 PM

shandyman
Aug 19, 2011, 05:01 PM

lol exactly. it's not a public gallery. only devices that you log into have access to it, unless you're breaking T&C's and sharing an apple ID.

kellygeorge
Aug 19, 2011, 08:05 PM
lol exactly. it's not a public gallery. only devices that you log into have access to it, unless you're breaking T&C's and sharing an apple ID.

That's true, but if you have multiple iOS devices in the home, They are likely going to be on the same apple account. I'm just saying there needs to be some way to manage which photos get synced, or at least delete photos from the feed.

thunderbunny
Aug 20, 2011, 02:01 AM
That's true, but if you have multiple iOS devices in the home, They are likely going to be on the same apple account. I'm just saying there needs to be some way to manage which photos get synced, or at least delete photos from the feed.

if you're playing nicely with Apple t&c's then everyone has to have their own Apple ID. Sharing not allowed.

shandyman
Aug 20, 2011, 08:04 AM

but since theT&C's say Apple ID's are for individuals, you're breaking them. in our house, each person has their own Apple ID. Why should there be a way to manage which photos get synced to what device? apple designed it that way, they trust that people will abide by the T&Cs so the fact they go to other devices is by design. I love that any photo i take on my iPad or iPhone get synced between them and my PC, makes it much easier.

I deffo agree about deleting tho. as sometimes i airplay my photos from iPad to apple TV to show friends and it'd be nice to not have everything there

obamtl
Aug 20, 2011, 03:50 PM
It's sickening when people treat Apple like God, who can do no evil. Is it too much to ask that I can delete a picture loaded to the stream?

shandyman
Aug 20, 2011, 04:16 PM
It's sickening when people treat Apple like God, who can do no evil.

hope you're not referring to my posts, as i'm doing no such thing. just pointing out the T&C's, you know, the rules. no different to someone pointing out the rules of this site to people, doesn't mean they're treating Macrumors as God... :rolleyes:

Also if you were referring to me, nice to see that you read my posts, as if you had, you will see that i also want the ability to delet photos from the stream.....

obamtl
Aug 20, 2011, 04:32 PM
I'm referring to those that are sticking up for Apple, saying it's a free service, so we should accept whatever is shoved down our throats or leave it. Those that will find every way to spin this attempt by Apple to further restrict how we can use our device.

shandyman
Aug 20, 2011, 05:52 PM
I'm referring to those that are sticking up for Apple, saying it's a free service, so we should accept whatever is shoved down our throats or leave it. Those that will find every way to spin this attempt by Apple to further restrict how we can use our device.

lol wow. yea we can complain about it, but i actually disagree, it's free, so not much we can do about it. we're not going to get all the things that mobileme gave people, as iCloud is free and MobileMe is not. If iCloud was also a paid for service like MobileMe and we only had what iCloud is having now, then i'd agree we could complain profusely, but it's not.

Žalgiris
Aug 21, 2011, 03:05 AM
Hi,

Well stop taking pictures of yourself in an embarrassing situations and positions. Feels like a no brainer to me. The feature is great though, so you might want to keep it on.

shandyman
Aug 21, 2011, 04:45 AM
Well stop taking pictures of yourself in an embarrassing situations and positions. Feels like a no brainer to me. The feature is great though, so you might want to keep it on.

It's not just embarrassing photos. It's pointless ones, like I take screenshots from the national rail app for travelling, and they fill up my photostream and I'd rather they didn't, or some random funny photo I send to a mate, but don't want to keep, or a pic of some dress I'm picking up for my GF to send to her to check its the one she wants.

There's many a normal scenario where people want to remove photos from the photostream. Plus who are you to tell people to stop taking photos like that....

cheeseplane
Aug 21, 2011, 06:43 AM
Plus who are you to tell people to stop taking photos like that....
This.
It's just silly. Why can't we just have control over our OWN photos?

thunderbunny
Aug 21, 2011, 06:45 AM
This.
It's just silly. Why can't we just have control over our OWN photos?

Flick the photo stream switch to off

DeanCorp
Aug 21, 2011, 07:38 AM
I heard in iCloud Beta 9 there is an option "Exclude this photo from my wife"

shandyman
Aug 21, 2011, 08:06 AM
Flick the photo stream switch to off

the problem with that is, you have to remember to turn it off, then turn it back one when you're taking photos you want to go on the stream. much easier to have a delete option.

foodog
Aug 25, 2011, 06:13 AM
It's not free, you have to pay at least $699 for the cheapest mac and at least $229 for the cheapest iOS devices. It's not free at all. And now you can see that it's something new for existing mac/iOS device-owners but that's just bull, you've paid enough for the product so we can expect decent products/services.

Now I do agree that it's still in beta, I understand that they are still bugs. I just wanted to share my experience with you guys and I wanted to know if the issue that I'm having is something other people are experiencing as well.

It is free. If you didn't have the hardware above you have no need for the service. Consider you used to have to pay for .mac and this takes its place... mostly.

----------

This is how every company works. They decide what to make, how it works, and what features to offer. If enough people want it they stay in business, if not....

shandyman
Aug 25, 2011, 04:20 PM
It is free. If you didn't have the hardware above you have no need for the service. Consider you used to have to pay for .mac and this takes its place... mostly.

yea it's totally free even if you don't have a device, once iCloud launches you can sign up and use the email, contacts etc on the web and and on the computer, so really that person was wrong

PBF
Aug 27, 2011, 07:26 AM
Wow, we're up to iPhoto 9.2b3 now, and we're still unable to delete photos from the Photo Stream.

How crazy would it be if we couldn't delete them in the final release either!

Yumunum
Aug 27, 2011, 07:39 AM
Wow, we're up to iPhoto 9.2b3 now, and we're still unable to delete photos from the Photo Stream.

How crazy would it be if we couldn't delete them in the final release either!

Yeah, this is having me worried a bit... I'd need to delete some photos

thunderbunny
Aug 29, 2011, 05:03 PM
Straight from the horses mouth

Lynas
Aug 31, 2011, 05:01 AM

Lol doesn't cover this

^^BIGMac
Aug 31, 2011, 11:49 AM
Straight from the horses mouthD'oh. :mad:

cryptooth
Aug 31, 2011, 04:47 PM
Install iPhoto 9.2 Beta
Enable PhotoStream
Select photo
Open Info's of Photo
Change taken date of photo more than 30 days before.
Apply

shandyman
Aug 31, 2011, 05:01 PM
Install iPhoto 9.2 Beta
Enable PhotoStream
Select photo
Open Info's of Photo
Change taken date of photo more than 30 days before.
Apply

yea, that's a workaround for some people. it's still not proper deleting. Plus not viable if you want to keep the correct data intact.

JDA
Sep 6, 2011, 05:02 PM
I REALLY hope they start to allow for deletion or there is going to be a lot more of me online that I had hoped, not to mention 'more' of a few girlfriends online... They are going to be SOOOO pissed.

shandyman
Sep 6, 2011, 05:30 PM
I REALLY hope they start to allow for deletion or there is going to be a lot more of me online that I had hoped, not to mention 'more' of a few girlfriends online... They are going to be SOOOO pissed.

they're not public, it's only the person with the apple ID and password that can see it, so unless you share it out, the photostream can only be seen by you.

Saying that, i'm still wanting a delete option as when i show friends my photostream on my apple TV for whatever reason, i'd rather not have certain pics there, such as random screenshots i have taken of the screen

JonHimself
Sep 9, 2011, 09:57 AM
... i'd rather not have certain pics there, such as random screenshots i have taken of teh screen

That's my concern. If I'm taking "private" pictures I can always use a different camera app (I'm assuming a Camera+ photo doesn't show up if I don't have the photos set to automatically save to my camera roll) but a lot of times I'll take a screenshot to remember something or to e-mail to someone. Nothing embarrassing but just a throw-away photo.
I would like to be able to use the photostream as a public way to show people photos (whether on vacation, at a concert/event, etc) and not have to worry about random pictures getting in the way. I hope they add some customization but since it's still in beta and there is very little confirmed information, I'll hold out judgement until then.

shandyman
Sep 9, 2011, 12:05 PM
That's my concern. If I'm taking "private" pictures I can always use a different camera app (I'm assuming a Camera+ photo doesn't show up if I don't have the photos set to automatically save to my camera roll) but a lot of times I'll take a screenshot to remember something or to e-mail to someone. Nothing embarrassing but just a throw-away photo.
I would like to be able to use the photostream as a public way to show people photos (whether on vacation, at a concert/event, etc) and not have to worry about random pictures getting in the way. I hope they add some customization but since it's still in beta and there is very little confirmed information, I'll hold out judgement until then.

Well it's not really changed throughout the beta and there's no web interface for it. There's gonna be no functionality change between now and launch, which is roughly a month away. We may get a delete button but doubt there will be a public sharing option. But we can but hope for it after launch.

Senseotech
Sep 11, 2011, 02:04 AM
Look what I just found folks :) Looks like we do have a solution after all. Sure its not fine grained control, but its a start, and shows they actually ARE thinking about it.

shandyman
Sep 11, 2011, 04:21 AM
Look what I just found folks :) Looks like we do have a solution after all. Sure its not fine grained control, but its a start, and shows they actually ARE thinking about it.

Where is that? It looks fake and its not anywhere in the latest beta....

Senseotech
Sep 11, 2011, 12:13 PM
Where is that? It looks fake and its not anywhere in the latest beta....

Fake, really??? Its not in any of the software betas, its in the iCloud.com Account settings, under advanced.

shandyman
Sep 11, 2011, 12:22 PM
Fake, really??? Its not in any of the software betas, its in the iCloud.com Account settings, under advanced.

well you never said where it was and it didn't look like any of the settings i'd seen and your pic was some random tiny image that looked like it had been made up. if you'd put that full screenshot that you just did originally, i wouldn't have said it. Thanks for sharing where it was, i'll check it out.

thesalmonator
Sep 14, 2011, 07:05 AM

Just used this and it deleted all photos from my photo stream (obviously) which is what I wanted this time, but it would still be nice to be able to delete individual photos at least in the final release.

Only problem is now I just have an empty Photo Stream album on my iPhone 3GS, it's not a huge issue but it's kinda annoying having it there since it's empty. Anyone know a way to get rid of it or had the same issue?

Senseotech
Sep 14, 2011, 10:29 AM
Just used this and it deleted all photos from my photo stream (obviously) which is what I wanted this time, but it would still be nice to be able to delete individual photos at least in the final release.

Only problem is now I just have an empty Photo Stream album on my iPhone 3GS, it's not a huge issue but it's kinda annoying having it there since it's empty. Anyone know a way to get rid of it or had the same issue?

Go into the iCloud settings and turn Photo Stream off, then it'll disappear out of the photos app.

applefreak292
Oct 10, 2011, 06:08 PM
Hey all,

Just figured this out!! :) you go to settings the choose iCloud, you then go to storage and manage online storage. Then delete all your backup data from your iCloud and the photos are gone from photo stream. Repeat this on each devise!! :)

sdm1985
Oct 10, 2011, 06:25 PM

Didn't work for me? Do I need to do anything else once I have reset photo stream?

madridista59
Oct 11, 2011, 09:58 AM
Hey guys quick question. I did a search and didn't see an answer, so my apologies if I overlooked it.

With Photostream, am I understanding right that, as long as there is a data connection (3g or wifi), once you take a photo, it'll automatically upload into the cloud? Will it do this in the background or do you have to have the camera roll open and active for this to happen? I'd love to just take some shots and turn off the display and toss it in my pocket while the photos are uploading themselves to the cloud.

And what if with an iPod touch? Will it know to upload itself once I'm connected to a wifi connection (given that I took some photos while I'm out and about with no wifi available)?

Thanks in advance!

Senseotech
Oct 11, 2011, 10:23 AM
Didn't work for me? Do I need to do anything else once I have reset photo stream?

Go to each iDevice and turn Photo Stream off, then back on. The photos are stored locally, so turning it off deletes them all.

canyonblue737
Oct 11, 2011, 11:37 AM
Hey guys quick question. I did a search and didn't see an answer, so my apologies if I overlooked it.

With Photostream, am I understanding right that, as long as there is a data connection (3g or wifi), once you take a photo, it'll automatically upload into the cloud? Will it do this in the background or do you have to have the camera roll open and active for this to happen? I'd love to just take some shots and turn off the display and toss it in my pocket while the photos are uploading themselves to the cloud.

And what if with an iPod touch? Will it know to upload itself once I'm connected to a wifi connection (given that I took some photos while I'm out and about with no wifi available)?

Thanks in advance!

Actually I think it is Wifi only, even on the iPhone to save bandwidth (their may be a optional setting to allow 3G, but it isn't the default I believe) so the iPhone AND the iPod touch will do what you describe, upload the photos the next time they log into a Wifi setting after having been with no internet access or just 3G.

madridista59
Oct 11, 2011, 12:27 PM
Actually I think it is Wifi only, even on the iPhone to save bandwidth (their may be a optional setting to allow 3G, but it isn't the default I believe) so the iPhone AND the iPod touch will do what you describe, upload the photos the next time they log into a Wifi setting after having been with no internet access or just 3G.

fantastic. yeah i wouldn't think 3g is a default setting considering the size of the photos the 4 and 4S will take. that's awesome to be able to just snap a photo and put it away or move onto another app and not having to think about it while the photos upload. i'm naming my 1st kid Apple now...lol.

toxicfusion
Oct 12, 2011, 08:05 AM
Apple really need to sort this out sooner than later, I've already seen a few people on twitter get caught out! :D

mouchers
Oct 12, 2011, 04:00 PM
Easy! just go to iCloud.com click on your account name go to advance and Reset Photo Stream. then to delete it from your phone turn off photo stream and it will alert you to delete photos from photostream on your device. Please give apple some credit they did a wonderful job with iCloud. please post this in the OP

Elven
Oct 12, 2011, 04:46 PM
Tried the above, and of course I am still seeing the test image I took on my iPhone4 on my iPad in the PhotoStream why o why Apple can we not edit the pictures on the devices other than resetting the whole lot?

Sloppy work there, I feel I shall fully disable iCloud till it matures a touch.

Senseotech
Oct 12, 2011, 05:06 PM
Tried the above, and of course I am still seeing the test image I took on my iPhone4 on my iPad in the PhotoStream why o why Apple can we not edit the pictures on the devices other than resetting the whole lot?

Sloppy work there, I feel I shall fully disable iCloud till it matures a touch.

Once the device gets the photo from the stream, its a local file. To remove it after the reset, you have to turn off Photo Stream on that device and then turn it back on, and presto! its a blank Photo Stream on your device. This imho isn't a bug, its a feature so you don't reset your stream then go "Holy crap, I needed some of those pics!"

T-Will
Oct 12, 2011, 05:17 PM
Does the stream only pick up "new" photos, or will it sync my entire existing camera roll?

Senseotech
Oct 12, 2011, 05:20 PM
Does the stream only pick up "new" photos, or will it sync my entire existing camera roll?

New photos only as far as I could tell in the beta releases. Also, its not just photos taken by the camera app, any new photo coming into your device's camera roll gets pushed to the stream, such as screenshots or images saved from other sources.

Elven
Oct 12, 2011, 05:22 PM
Once the device gets the photo from the stream, its a local file. To remove it after the reset, you have to turn off Photo Stream on that device and then turn it back on, and presto! its a blank Photo Stream on your device. This imho isn't a bug, its a feature so you don't reset your stream then go "Holy crap, I needed some of those pics!"

Ah, I see. Thank You for the explanation, I feel it could have been presented more elegantly but this is early days.

I'm due my new iPhone this Friday so I shall spend a weekend playing with iCloud for now, I've disabled it as I want to give time for everything to settle down.

Razeus
Oct 12, 2011, 05:31 PM
Sounds like Apple is about to, YET AGAIN, botch another "cloud"/online service.

iPhone4Jay
Oct 12, 2011, 05:57 PM
Goto iCloud.com and you can reset your photo stream. From the main page after you sign in. Click your account name. Then click the advanced tab and from there you can reset your PhotoStream. This would be much better if you could just delete single photos from it.

T-Will
Oct 12, 2011, 05:59 PM
If you reset your photostream on iCloud, is it true that any existing photos on devices/PC/Mac will remain in place?

If you disable/reset photostream on an iPhone, does it delete from the iPhone and iCloud?

Lots of confusion here. :confused:

Razeus
Oct 12, 2011, 06:02 PM
Goto iCloud.com and you can reset your photo stream. From the main page after you sign in. Click your account name. Then click the advanced tab and from there you can reset your PhotoStream. This would be much better if you could just delete single photos from it.

Ya, that's a work around, not a solution.

The Camera Roll should be the photostream, not a separate part of the app.

xpn33
Oct 12, 2011, 06:43 PM
first send the photo's you don't want to delete into your camera roll and then go to iCloud settings and turn off photo stream and then after a few seconds turn it back on, when you turn off photo stream it will delete the photos and the ones you didn't want to delete are already sent to your camera roll

Patriot24
Oct 12, 2011, 07:14 PM
First off, just let me say that Photo Stream is awesome! It was so wicked to take a photo and have it instantly show up on my iPad, Mac, and Apple TV.

But, as I discovered, there is no way to individually delete photos from the stream right now.

Not that I took some inappropriate photo that I need to hide - I took two photos of my wife holding our dog. As taking pictures goes, one is better than the other and we only desire to keep the best one. Is Apple really going to force me to keep every blurry photo I take before I get the one I really want?

Pretty lame. Absolutely needs a way to delete photos from the stream.

LIVEFRMNYC
Oct 12, 2011, 07:16 PM
The way Apple designed Photo Stream is basically fail safe against common accidents of deleting photos.

On iPhoto you have to disable Photo Stream in order to delete, and it asks you if you want to import them first, which is also the default highlighted button.

On the iPhone you have to also disable Photo Stream in order to delete. And it's warns you first if you want to delete photos.

Even you disable and delete from device, Photo Stream pics are still going to be on your Mac(iPhoto) until you disable from your Mac. Same thing Vice Versa.

Also even if you disable and delete from both iPhone & Mac, the original photos should still be in your Camera Roll or iPhoto Library. Which is why it's Photo Stream that's synced not the original folders.

Apple made Photo Stream as stupid proof as possible. HOW CAN ANYONE POSSIBLY F@#$ THIS UP????

Only thing I don't like is no online gallery. REALLY APPLE??? That's one of the things I loved about Mobile ME. Even if the online gallery design was a little slow and outdated, it was a huge plus not needing a iDevice or software/app to enter your ID. Just a browser was good enough, especially when using someone's laptop or a public computer.

joeklrc
Oct 12, 2011, 08:34 PM
http://help.apple.com/icloud/index.html#mmbc2c0a9e

1. you login to icloud.com (make an account if you already dont have one.)

2. click your picture or name in the top left corner of the page

3. click Advanced

4. then Reset Photo Stream

Hope it helps!

Fatalv
Oct 12, 2011, 09:04 PM
Just to let every 1 know there is a easy solution to this... Go to iCloud.com log in.. Click on ur name n go to advanced setting n there u will be able to reset your photo stream...hope this helps

psxp
Oct 12, 2011, 09:36 PM
its amazing.. so many of us having to do this today :)

pjohnson826
Oct 12, 2011, 09:48 PM
simply follow these directions http://help.apple.com/icloud/index.html?lang=en#mmbc2c0a9e

It resets your photostream and deletes all photos from the stream.

LIVEFRMNYC
Oct 12, 2011, 09:52 PM

3. click Advanced

Hope it helps!

Just to let every 1 know there is a easy solution to this... Go to iCloud.com log in.. Click on ur name n go to advanced setting n there u will be able to reset your photo stream...hope this helps

simply follow these directions http://help.apple.com/icloud/index.html?lang=en#mmbc2c0a9e

It resets your photostream and deletes all photos from the stream.

This DOES NOT remove photostream from your iPhone or iPhoto. You MUST MANUALLY turn off photostream on both your iPhone and iPhoto. Then you can turn it back on to create a new blank fresh photostream.

AT LEAST THAT'S THE WAY IT IS UNTIL APPLE FIXES IT.

Awolfonroiss
Oct 12, 2011, 10:05 PM
Ok we are all slightly tickd off that the pictures go right o photo stream yes I am also it is easy to solve go to the ICloud tag and then click that u want to disable it, then re enable it(photo stream btw) they should be gone, if not do it a few times. Worst coma to worst"delete" the iCloud account. After you can simply re log in, but photo stream is clear;)Play safely

bfranz
Oct 12, 2011, 10:16 PM
This DOES NOT remove photostream from your iPhone or iPhoto. You MUST MANUALLY turn off photostream on both your iPhone and iPhoto. Then you can turn it back on to create a new blank fresh photostream.

AT LEAST THAT'S THE WAY IT IS UNTIL APPLE FIXES IT.

This does work. Turn off photosteam on all devices/pcs, then log into iCloud.com, go to preferences, advanced and select reset photostream. You are now free of all photos.

MacRumorUser
Oct 12, 2011, 10:17 PM
I'm so glad Apple replaced my perfectly working MobileMe Gallery which allows full controll with this fantastic service which does feck instead.

I mean for a company designing things that 'just work', this last 30 days only, no control or ability to delete individual photos = such a winning combination.

Seriously Apple have dropped the ball.

LIVEFRMNYC
Oct 12, 2011, 10:18 PM
This does work. Turn off photosteam on all devices/pcs, then log into iCloud.com, go to preferences, advanced and select reset photostream. You are now free of all photos.

That's defeats the whole purpose. :confused:

If you turn off photostream on all devices/pc then photostream photos will be gone without the need to log in to iCloud.

chercm
Oct 12, 2011, 10:46 PM
this is so craps :mad::mad:

rotorwing
Oct 12, 2011, 10:51 PM
That's defeats the whole purpose. :confused:

If you turn off photostream on all devices/pc then photostream photos will be gone without the need to log in to iCloud.

Wrong. If you don't reset photostream in iCloud the pictures will still come back when you turn photostream back on on all your devices

----------

It's real simple folks.

turn off photostream on all your devices first after you've saved the photos you want into another folder. GO TO iCLOUD AND RESET PHOTOSTREAM.

No more pictures on the cloud. It's that simple.

jawporta
Oct 12, 2011, 10:57 PM
Just download a camera app from the app store and take your kinky pictures with that camera. A good one is "Camera Plus"

I'm just saying...

verwon
Oct 12, 2011, 11:02 PM
just download a camera app from the app store and take your kinky pictures with that camera. A good one is "camera plus"

i'm just saying...

lmfao!

LIVEFRMNYC
Oct 12, 2011, 11:05 PM
Wrong. If you don't reset photostream in iCloud the pictures will still come back when you turn photostream back on on all your devices

That's absolutely false.

----------

It's real simple folks.

turn off photostream on all your devices first after you've saved the photos you want into another folder. GO TO iCLOUD AND RESET PHOTOSTREAM.

No more pictures on the cloud. It's that simple.

Ok your right ........ Worked this time :D

Pics never came back before until I tried it again just now.

I actually ended up with two photostream folders on my device before. So I'll say it's still slightly buggy.

roy.5432
Oct 12, 2011, 11:08 PM
I FOUND A WAY! :) On the iCloud site, you could click on your name/user, and click on advanced and it gives the option to wipe pictures from photostream on the cloud! :) Problem solved..

BullittMustang
Oct 12, 2011, 11:45 PM
I FOUND A WAY! :) On the iCloud site, you could click on your name/user, and click on advanced and it gives the option to wipe pictures from photostream on the cloud! :) Problem solved..

Great find! It didn't work for me though.

jdigsss
Oct 12, 2011, 11:51 PM
This seemed to work for me :D

You need to Turn off Photo Stream on all your iOS devices. Did this for my iphone 4 and iPad. Which prompts you to delete all your photos in Photostream.

Then log onto your iCloud account on webbrowser >click on your name on top right which gets you into the account language / time zone settngs > click on advance > click on reset photo stream.

After this re-enable photo stream on iOS devices... Voila no more embarassing (naked) photos in iCloud

cheers!

JustinTMR
Oct 13, 2011, 12:21 AM
Did this EXACT thing... photos STILL came back... :(

You need to Turn off Photo Stream on all your iOS devices. Did this for my iphone 4 and iPad. Which prompts you to delete all your photos in Photostream.

Then log onto your iCloud account on webbrowser >click on your name on top right which gets you into the account language / time zone settngs > click on advance > click on reset photo stream.

After this re-enable photo stream on iOS devices... Voila no more embarassing (naked) photos in iCloud

cheers!

----------

to expand on my last message... it seems like the pictures don't come back on my iPhone, only my iPad.

Maltz
Oct 13, 2011, 12:39 AM
Did this EXACT thing... photos STILL came back... :(

Turn off photo stream on all iCloud devices, not just iOS devices. Computers, iPhones, iPads, everything. THEN log into iCloud's website to reset photo stream and that should fix it.

EricNau
Oct 13, 2011, 12:51 AM
I'm so glad Apple replaced my perfectly working MobileMe Gallery which allows full controll with this fantastic service which does feck instead.

I mean for a company designing things that 'just work', this last 30 days only, no control or ability to delete individual photos = such a winning combination.

Seriously Apple have dropped the ball.
I couldn't agree more. It's an obvious oversight, so obvious I'm rather certain they thought of it and just didn't care.

capt81c
Oct 13, 2011, 01:48 AM
If you go to http://www.icloud.com and login you can access your calenders, contacts, photostream and other things. There you will be able to delete the photos you have in photostream:) you have to click on your username in the top right hand corner and then select the "Advanced" tab. This will bring up the option to delete the photos on your photostream.

shandyman
Oct 13, 2011, 01:53 AM

It's now a free service, so you're gonna lose some of the features of MobileMe, you can complain, but it's gonna do sweet FA.

MacRumorUser
Oct 13, 2011, 02:49 AM
It's now a free service, so you're gonna lose some of the features of MobileMe, you can complain, but it's gonna do sweet FA.

Then give us the option to continue paying as I have done for the last decade for a working service rather than take away and replace with a free but flawed service.

Oh and as a mobile me user it automatically subscribed me to the €32 plus service - so not exactly free for some of us now is it.

scottisvenom
Oct 13, 2011, 02:53 AM
log into iCloud.com, click on your account name, click advanced, you can delete the entire photostream..only the entire stream for now, but still

hooneyrob
Oct 13, 2011, 04:03 AM
log into iCloud.com, click on your account name, click advanced, you can delete the entire photostream..only the entire stream for now, but still

There's seriously no way to delete the odd photo.. Just connected my daughters iPod and we now have loads of pictures of her model horses on iCloud.. Great!

teqnvia
Oct 13, 2011, 04:11 AM
A manual option to select which photos to stream would be great. I use the camera on my phone for both family/friends and at work. I don't need work photos of machinery going to my photo stream. Hopefully next update.

redout
Oct 13, 2011, 02:37 PM

cheers!

Tried this half a dozen times and keep getting the message 'Your photo stream could not be reset at this time due to a server error'

alv.10
Oct 13, 2011, 03:53 PM
Hi,

Go to your IPhone settings>ICloud>Photo Stream>off>delete..

phil9t
Oct 13, 2011, 04:12 PM
1. Sign into iCloud.com
2. Click on profile picture to the left of user name. (next to sign out)
3. Click on advanced from drop down menu
4. Select reset photo stream.
5. Delete unwanted photo's from camera roll on all devices (if they where imported)
6. Your done. Hope this helped

Dron7
Oct 13, 2011, 07:39 PM
I went from 60 to 0 in seconds. I am really annoyed that I can't delete a picture, makes no sense. Every crap,blurry,mistake,ugly snapshot goes into PhotoStream, it's pretty stupid. It should allow you to delete a pic from your camera roll thereby deleting it from your PhotoStream, OR allow you to just delete it from PhotoStream. I was so excited about it, but this makes it a complete FAIL for me. :mad:

Maskusee
Oct 13, 2011, 09:21 PM
I agree. Its a total mistake that we can't delete pictures from photo stream.
Maybe in a future update?

tigres
Oct 13, 2011, 09:27 PM
So let me get this straight.

Take photos.
They sync to everything.
Have a bunch you don't want.
Reset everything to get the ones you want off.
That deletes all photos you liked as well
So after all the action, are you left with nothing?

It wipes it across the board? Or does it remain on the other devices? Jesus this iCloud is a complete nightmare to understand.

I am staying far far away from it.

asparmann
Oct 13, 2011, 11:01 PM

at the top right of the screen after you log in you'll see your name.

click it.

click advanced

"reset photo stream"

:D

PNutts
Oct 13, 2011, 11:14 PM
Every crap,blurry,mistake,ugly snapshot goes into PhotoStream, it's pretty stupid.

And also instantly available to the Apple TV 2 screensaver when you have it set to use PhotoStream.

Fast Shadow
Oct 14, 2011, 12:45 AM
The lack of being able to individually delete items from the photostream is just... bizarre. Forstall must have been on a bender when he let that get past him.

Ponderous
Oct 14, 2011, 01:01 AM
The lack of being able to individually delete items from the photostream is just... bizarre. Forstall must have been on a bender when he let that get past him.

I definitely agree. The ability to delete pics from the stream is a must! I don't want to reset the whole thing, just delete a pic here or there. :eek:

James Godfrey
Oct 14, 2011, 01:19 AM
I keep getting an error message whenever I try to reset my photo stream and it wont let me reset... keeps saying to try again later.... anyone else have this problem?

MarkSta1
Oct 14, 2011, 02:08 AM
I keep getting the error message as well. 'Can't reset photo stream due to server error. Try again later' I've been getting that message for 2 days now.

----------

You would think we would be able to see all the photos in the stream on icloud as well as the devices and have options to delete them individually or all at once. :confused::mad:

iphoneFanBoy
Oct 14, 2011, 02:12 AM
hi guys,

i was hoping someone could help i have read numerous threads on how to reset photo stream in icloud and i understand it, but whenever i try i get the message 'could not reset your photo stream - your photo stream could not be reset at this time due to a server error please try again later' - i have tried countless times over the last couple days??? please help???

cheers

R6Rider17
Oct 14, 2011, 08:48 AM
Ok so go to www.icloud.com then click on your name next to the Sign Out button, then click advanced then reset photo stream..... this does not get rid of it yet, then you have to go back into your phone go to settings then icloud then find photo stream and turn it off and it will ask if you want to delete the photos click that then turn it back on and they are gone..... im sure apple will make this easier.... but for now there we go.

redout
Oct 14, 2011, 10:19 AM
Ok so go to www.icloud.com then click on your name next to the Sign Out button, then click advanced then reset photo stream..... this does not get rid of it yet, then you have to go back into your phone go to settings then icloud then find photo stream and turn it off and it will ask if you want to delete the photos click that then turn it back on and they are gone..... im sure apple will make this easier.... but for now there we go.

This does not work.

I have tried this at least 20 times over the past two days and keep receiving 'could not reset your photo stream - your photo stream could not be reset at this time due to a server error please try again later' . There must be a problem on apple's end.

iPhoneVic
Oct 14, 2011, 11:43 AM
This does not work.

I have tried this at least 20 times over the past two days and keep receiving 'could not reset your photo stream - your photo stream could not be reset at this time due to a server error please try again later' . There must be a problem on apple's end.

Apple is checking all the pictures to see if they want to keep them... :confused:

andy0299
Oct 14, 2011, 01:32 PM
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4890?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

tralawar
Oct 14, 2011, 02:31 PM
First turn off photo stream on your Device:

Then

Upper right corner click you name
Click 'Advanced'
Click 'Reset Photo Stream'

Turn back on photo stream and no more photos.

The photos will still be on the downloaded locations on devices you have set up.

Now lets seem some of those photos your about to delete

odell
Oct 14, 2011, 04:40 PM
Go to iCloud.com and reset your PhotoStream. Here are the instructions on the mac site.

Photo Stream

You can reset your Photo Stream at icloud.com. This removes your photos from iCloud but keeps photos already on the device. For more information, see Photo Stream Help.

Photo Stream photos can be removed from your device by turning Photo Stream off in iOS settings or in OS X Lion System Preferences. You can also delete any photos imported into your iPhoto or Aperture library on a Mac, or in the folder they're imported to on a PC.

whsbuss
Oct 14, 2011, 04:46 PM
Has anyone submitted feedback to Apple on this short-coming? I have. Its a total fail.

pooryou
Oct 14, 2011, 05:07 PM
I have no photostream on icloud.com even though my iPad and iPhone have it set up. Does the iCloud Web site really require you to have Lion to see the Photostream?

Razeus
Oct 14, 2011, 05:14 PM
This is ridiculous. I'm turning off Photostream until they add the ability to delete individual photos. Not only will I have a photo in Instagram, I have it in my Camera Roll AND Photostream, making 3 different apps to manage the same photo.

Solange82200
Oct 14, 2011, 06:47 PM
This is ridiculous. I'm turning off Photostream until they add the ability to delete individual photos. Not only will I have a photo in Instagram, I have it in my Camera Roll AND Photostream, making 3 different apps to manage the same photo.

Arrrg, even the long way doesnt work for me. I have 206 wallpapers in my photostream that I want to get rid of. I turned off photostream on my phone, reset my photostream on my browser in advanced settings, but they wont get off my damn phone... Driving me nuts!

ajnicho
Oct 14, 2011, 07:28 PM
Obviously another "well it is a BETA" problem.

I can't believe how complacent companies are getting. The consumers shouldn't be the BETA testers!!! Get it fixed!

jonjames
Oct 14, 2011, 07:30 PM
ive been trying since the very first picture and i cant reset my photo stream either!!!! i keep getting the same error message others are getting. this really sucks! im calling apple support right now, so that they are at least aware of the situation. smh @phot0stream

Solange82200
Oct 14, 2011, 07:32 PM
OK, after the 50th time, finally my photo stream disappeared off the phone. I dont know if it took that long, or if I did something different... But now what I want to do is transfer these pictures onto an album on my phone, and delete them from my photostream but still keep them in the other album. It seems that when they delete off the photostream, it deletes any copies made into other albums too... That shouldnt happen.

Edit: Ok, I figured out to Save them instead of Adding to other albums, it seems to work now. Phew, I can deal with this then

Edit: I freaking take it back! I deleted the photos from my camera roll, where they save, and it deleted them from my other album! This is soooooo glitchy...

famoussasjohn
Oct 14, 2011, 08:39 PM
what I did was return off photostream in iCloud, and it deletes everything there, and turned it back on. Photos were removed after that :)

Razeus
Oct 14, 2011, 10:58 PM
Sorry. Photostream isn't ready for prime time. Having to save to the camera roll is pretty tedious, especially when photos have even saved there automatically all these years. What if I'm doing self portraits and a snap several looking for the best one. So, I'm suppose to leave 10 photos in my stream when I just want the best one?? Nah. I can do it they way I've been doing it until they fix this mess.

Squid Johnson
Oct 15, 2011, 01:52 AM
Hi there,

I ran into the same problem of having embarrassing photo's in Photostream(not of myself however, just not good with the wife!). So I had to find a solution.

Go to icloud.com and login. Once you have logged in, look to the top right hand corner and you will see your name. Click on it and a pop-up will come up. Click on "Advanced". The next screen is the PhotoStream reset. Click to reset. Then erase all the photo's where you selected the stream to be on your computer when you set it up(in my case D:\\Pictures\Photostream\Uploads and D:\\Pictures\Photostream\My Photo Stream. Then when you place new photo`s in D:\\Pictures\Photostream\Uploads it starts all over again with no embarrassing photo`s!

Voila! Hope this works for you guys.

lewshus
Oct 15, 2011, 06:12 AM
Hi there,
Go to icloud.com and login. Once you have logged in, look to the top right hand corner and you will see your name. Click on it and a pop-up will come up. Click on "Advanced". The next screen is the PhotoStream reset. Click to reset.

An easier way to do this is after you do the above action, go into your iphone and go Settings>iCloud>Photostream.
Turn photostream off, then back on again and your photos should be deleted.

shandyman
Oct 15, 2011, 08:26 AM
there's major deja vu in this thread there's like 8 people giving the same resetting photostream guide in various ways.

the iPad had a delete button in photostream in beta 1 but it disappeared in beta 2, plus it was greyed out and unusable. Dunno why they removed it, but am hoping that between the complaining during the beta and now the widespread complaining from public release, they'll sort this

Razeus
Oct 15, 2011, 09:40 AM
Just allow me to delete photos, multiples at a time, and we have a winner. The feature should really be integrated into Camera Roll however - which would save an extra step in having to "save" the photo from Photostream to Camera Roll. Afterall, I thought "saving" was a PC era activity...:cool:

steadysignal
Oct 15, 2011, 09:56 AM

3. click Advanced

Hope it helps!

thanks, you are really helpful with this.

jonjames
Oct 15, 2011, 10:26 AM
has anyone figured out how to reset the photo stream when you get the "photo strea could not be reset at this time due to a server error" message? ive been trying for the last 3 days now and keep getting the same exact message everytime. ive restored, deleted the control panel from my pc, deleted the icloud account from my iphone 4 and still to no avail, it continues to give me the above mentioned error message. PLEASE HELP!

shandyman
Oct 15, 2011, 10:46 AM
has anyone figured out how to reset the photo stream when you get the "photo strea could not be reset at this time due to a server error" message? ive been trying for the last 3 days now and keep getting the same exact message everytime. ive restored, deleted the control panel from my pc, deleted the icloud account from my iphone 4 and still to no avail, it continues to give me the above mentioned error message. PLEASE HELP!

I'm guessing apples servers are taking a hammering. Give it a few days.

dickie300086
Oct 15, 2011, 11:40 AM
I found how to delete the photos from iCloud and iPhone or iPad. But when it comes to the Mac i cant help as mine are not been sent to mine for some reason?

First log in to iCloud click on your name in the top right corner, Then click advanced then reset photo stream and confirm rest.

Then on the iPhone or iPad open settings select photos, turn off photo stream at the top and hit delete photos. After this you can turn photo stream back on.

If done in this order it will wipe all pics in photo stream library on device.

Hope this is of some help!

Razeus
Oct 15, 2011, 12:05 PM
I found how to delete the photos from iCloud and iPhone or iPad. But when it comes to the Mac i cant help as mine are not been sent to mine for some reason?

First log in to iCloud click on your name in the top right corner, Then click advanced then reset photo stream and confirm rest.

Then on the iPhone or iPad open settings select photos, turn off photo stream at the top and hit delete photos. After this you can turn photo stream back on.

If done in this order it will wipe all pics in photo stream library on device.

Hope this is of some help!

You need to enable it in iPhoto "preferences" section.

imacken
Oct 15, 2011, 12:29 PM
The problem with all this is that if you reset Photostream on icloud.com, the photos you do want on don't go back. Only new photos go on and then you start the whole process again!
This has got to be fixed.

Razeus
Oct 15, 2011, 01:43 PM
The problem with all this is that if you reset Photostream on icloud.com, the photos you do want on don't go back. Only new photos go on and then you start the whole process again!
This has got to be fixed.

Exactly. It's not a solution. The point is you're going to take a photo you don't want and will wish to delete it...THAT's the point.

imacken
Oct 15, 2011, 01:51 PM
Er, I'm in total agreement with you. Not sure what your point is.

Razeus
Oct 15, 2011, 02:25 PM
Er, I'm in total agreement with you. Not sure what your point is.

The point is the point I'm making.

imacken
Oct 15, 2011, 02:28 PM
I think I'll leave you to it, because you're not actually making any point. Your statement is simply restating what the thread is all about.

vics43
Oct 15, 2011, 02:43 PM
Hi,

Though I haven't had a chance to play with the latest version of iPhoto yet, I have enough experience with Apple to know this is not something they wouldn't have thought of. I'm betting you can access, modify, edit, Delete your PhotoStream photos from within iPhoto - just make sure you have the most recent software updates installed on your Mac/PC, iPad, IPod, iPhone...

imacken
Oct 15, 2011, 02:47 PM
You can't delete photos from Photostream, it's as simple as that. Not from iPhoto, not from anything.
However, there is a bit of a workaround in iPhoto. If you reset Photostream in iCloud.com, you can drag and drop any photo in iPhoto onto Photostream. So, you could import all from
Photostream, reset it, and then put on all photos you want. BUT, as soon as you start streaming again from your iOS devices, the same problem will start occurring.

vics43
Oct 15, 2011, 02:57 PM
Though I haven't had a chance to play with the latest version of iPhoto yet, I have enough experience with Apple to know this is not something they wouldn't have thought of. I'm betting you can access, modify, edit, Delete your PhotoStream photos from within iPhoto - just make sure you have the most recent software updates installed on your Mac/PC, iPad, IPod, iPhone...

PS. The latest version of iPhoto is currently 9.2

haksti
Oct 15, 2011, 04:23 PM
It is possible to delete (some) individual photos from the stream, or rather, avoid getting them published. This is possible if you delete them before leaving the camera app. This means that if you take 5 pics and just want to keep 1, you need to delete the 4 you do not want before leaving the app.

Does not really solve the real issue of not being able to delete a pic, but at least a small part...

Bonzo202
Oct 15, 2011, 10:50 PM
Since there's no way right now to delete pics that are already in our photo streams, what I have found as a solution is that if you turn off your phone's wi-fi connection (located in settings) prior to taking any pictures, you can go through and delete any pics you don't want. After which you can turn on your wi-fi and only the remaining pics will be displayed in photo stream...Yes, this is a little time consuming (especially since we can now get to our phone's camera rather quickly - in 2 steps), but it's a work-around that's that best I have found that works consistently. Besides, do you really need to be on wi-fi all the time anyway when you have a 3G connection? I hope this helps...

alamain
Oct 16, 2011, 12:16 AM
Photostream only appears to "stream" pics if it is on ... so I would think that if I were intending on using the service I would turn it on.. then take my pictures. From there i can move the pictures that I actually want to keep to another folder. Then to remove all of the pictures in the stream itself, turn OFF Photostream from each respective device (that deletes the pictures from the device), then go to your iCloud account and reset Photostream - that removes all pictures instantly (they do say you CANNOT undo that action).

This all seems awfully complicated, so I may be inclined to just wait until I get home and download the old-fashioned way.

AppleNick
Oct 16, 2011, 12:31 AM

Have you tried with another browser?? I tried with firefox (I was using Internet Explorer) and it worked for me! (only after 200 tries with IE!! Haha!:))

NormanH125
Oct 16, 2011, 06:15 AM
I have just done the upgrade to IOS5 & saw the icloud sync feature & thought it would be good to use for SOME photos I take. I didn't reckon on the following.

1: Every photo I take gets sent to the colud & on to my PC. I would prefer to control which photos go to the cloud. All I need 8-10 photos transfered to my PC each day (approx. 280 in 30 days) to use for 1 hr max. before deleting.

2: To send only the ones I want I have to switch on photostream & take the photos. Once they are on the cloud I have to use my PC to log in to Icloud.com to reset my photostream (using google chrome as using IE it comes back with server error. This then deletes ALL photos from the stream. Then I have to delete them from camera roll & then turn off photostream. Far easier to do it my normal way of connecting iphone to my PC & using File Explorer drag & drop to PC & then delete from phone.

3: After 30 days they are deleted from photostream and hopefully from the icloud but are they? Has Apple actually said that they are deleted from icloud, I haven't seen that, only that my photostream is reset (deleting a file from my HD only resets the directory, the file is still there but not visible except to recycle bin).

To me a better solution would be to be able to select which photos were synced via icloud and, once synced, DELETED from icloud automatically. Also beening able to save to Camers Roll (or another folder) the photos you want saving.

In my case the 10 photos I take daily I don't want on my phone EVER AGAIN so these would be taken, temp stored in photostream until uploaded to icloud then deleted from the iphone. Once streamed from icloud to my PC (and/or other selected devices) they would be deleted from icloud. All this to be automatic, all I would have to do is select the ones to stream, by default none to be saved on the phone as, at the moment, I don't use the iphone for photos I want to keep, I use a proper camers for those.

I will be turning off icloud & will wait till Apple sorts it so it's easy to do what I want. If I have to wait as long for that as I did for them to give me a good Bluetooth facility then I'll not hold my breath (I've grow old but not quite died waiting). They still haven't got wifi working the way it should yet, ie. I have a 40meg broadband connection (with 0.5 meg BTfon connection) so iphone alway uses the slow connection when I get home. I don't have the facility to set the prefered wifi connection order so have to go in to settings to select the high speed one EVEY TIME I return home.

OK so some of these facilities are free, just as well because judging from the comments on this thread not many would pay for it, I certainly wouldn't pay (not even 10p).

redout
Oct 16, 2011, 06:18 AM
Have you tried with another browser?? I tried with firefox (I was using Internet Explorer) and it worked for me! (only after 200 tries with IE!! Haha!:))

This worked for me. IE like 50 times and nada - switched to Safari and bingo on the first attempt :)

hafr
Oct 16, 2011, 07:12 AM
I have just done the upgrade to IOS5 & saw the icloud sync feature & thought it would be good to use for SOME photos I take. I didn't reckon on the following.

1: Every photo I take gets sent to the colud & on to my PC. I would prefer to control which photos go to the cloud. All I need 8-10 photos transfered to my PC each day (approx. 280 in 30 days) to use for 1 hr max. before deleting.
You can deactivate the automatic import of the Photo Stream to iPhoto and manually import the photos you want to keep. Just drag and drop from the photo stream. Problem solved.

2: To send only the ones I want I have to switch on photostream & take the photos. Once they are on the cloud I have to use my PC to log in to Icloud.com to reset my photostream (using google chrome as using IE it comes back with server error. This then deletes ALL photos from the stream. Then I have to delete them from camera roll & then turn off photostream. Far easier to do it my normal way of connecting iphone to my PC & using File Explorer drag & drop to PC & then delete from phone.
Why do you feel the need to reset your photo stream to begin with?

To me a better solution would be to be able to select which photos were synced via icloud and, once synced, DELETED from icloud automatically. Also beening able to save to Camers Roll (or another folder) the photos you want saving.

In my case the 10 photos I take daily I don't want on my phone EVER AGAIN so these would be taken, temp stored in photostream until uploaded to icloud then deleted from the iphone. Once streamed from icloud to my PC (and/or other selected devices) they would be deleted from icloud. All this to be automatic, all I would have to do is select the ones to stream, by default none to be saved on the phone as, at the moment, I don't use the iphone for photos I want to keep, I use a proper camers for those.
All photos are sent to the photo stream, that doesn't mean you can't choose which photos you want to be synced with your other devices, so I don't really see the point with having to choose if a picture should be sent to the photo stream or not after having taken it. It would only be a hassle, having to click through the options after each picture instead of just grabbing the ones you like once you're home.

You say you use a proper camera for photos you want to keep. When you use your proper camera, do you really look at every individual photo after haven taken it, deleting it or keeping it before hitting the shutter button again?

shandyman
Oct 16, 2011, 07:20 AM

3: After 30 days they are deleted from photostream and hopefully from the icloud but are they? Has Apple actually said that they are deleted from iCloud

You didn't reckon on the fact that photostream sends every photo to the cloud and PC despite Apple saying that's exactly what it does?!

Yes they are deleted after 30 days, this is how it worked during the beta and this is what apple said would happen.

daniel2828
Oct 16, 2011, 10:22 AM
I'm a little pressed for time, so I don't know if the solution has been covered, but here's what works for me.

It's a two-step process. Open up your iPhoto preferences and click Photo Stream. There, you have the option to disable Photo Stream. THEN, as recommended in other threads, go to iCloud and click on your name in the upper right hand corner and click Advanced > Reset Photo Stream. This works for me repeatedly. Naturally, you'll want to make sure you've saved any photos that you want to keep before you delete them.

Richardgm
Oct 16, 2011, 11:15 AM
Oh come on Apple! I shouldn't have to go on my COMPUTER to delete the photo-stream. In fact, I should be able to prune the contents of the 'stream on my iOS device.

RI-DIC-U-LOUS

shandyman
Oct 16, 2011, 01:06 PM
I'm a little pressed for time, so I don't know if the solution has been covered, but here's what works for me.

It's a two-step process. Open up your iPhoto preferences and click Photo Stream. There, you have the option to disable Photo Stream. THEN, as recommended in other threads, go to iCloud and click on your name in the upper right hand corner and click Advanced > Reset Photo Stream. This works for me repeatedly. Naturally, you'll want to make sure you've saved any photos that you want to keep before you delete them.

That's the 10th time this has been said. Are people not reading the thread before replying? Lol

crossifixio
Oct 16, 2011, 01:45 PM
Add me on that list. Such a basic thing, I really don't understand how it was not implemented! Like the time we could only send one text to one person at a time! :D

I definitely agree. The ability to delete pics from the stream is a must! I don't want to reset the whole thing, just delete a pic here or there. :eek:

Dixi Nielsen
Oct 16, 2011, 02:13 PM
That's the 10th time this has been said. Are people not reading the thread before replying? Lol

Sorry, but I can not find my name in a right hand upper corner when going to iCloud on my comp !

Dixi

daniel2828
Oct 16, 2011, 02:19 PM

Did you note that I said that I was pressed for time and wasn't able to read through 8 pages of threads? Are you not reading the threads? :)

In any event, I tried to delete my images from my Photo Stream again using the method I described and a couple of images remained. So it's a three-step process if you're still having issues:

1. Turn off Photo Stream in iPhoto
2. Turn off Photo Stream on your device(s)
3. Reset Photo Stream in iCloud

Definitely a pain. Hopefully, we'll some day have the means to remove photos manually and individually without having to mess with this.

NormanH125
Oct 16, 2011, 02:50 PM
Hafr
You can deactivate the automatic import of the Photo Stream to iPhoto and manually import the photos you want to keep. Just drag and drop from the photo stream. Problem solved.

I don't use iphoto, all I do is view the photo on the PC. After that I don't need them anywhere but would be stuck with them on the iphone in photostream for 30 days before they get auto-deleted.

Why do you feel the need to reset your photo stream to begin with?

Because if I don't I'll have approx. 280 unwanted photos on my phone at any one time.

All photos are sent to the photo stream, that doesn't mean you can't choose which photos you want to be synced with your other devices, so I don't really see the point with having to choose if a picture should be sent to the photo stream or not after having taken it. It would only be a hassle, having to click through the options after each picture instead of just grabbing the ones you like once you're home.

You say you use a proper camera for photos you want to keep. When you use your proper camera, do you really look at every individual photo after haven taken it, deleting it or keeping it before hitting the shutter button again?

I can't see where I have the choice to sync some photos in the photostream. My phone syncs them all, nothing I can do to stop it.
When I use a proper camera then no, I don't view individual photos. I transfer them to the PC & delete from the camera. I don't keep photos on a phone or a camera.

You didn't reckon on the fact that photostream sends every photo to the cloud and PC despite Apple saying that's exactly what it does?!

Yes they are deleted after 30 days, this is how it worked during the beta and this is what apple said would happen.

Perhaps I did misunderstand the fact that, with icloud turned on, every photo you take is sent to the cloud & synced. But what wasn't said is that you can't delete them off your phone unless you delete them by going to icloud.com to do it then back to your phone.
OK so they are deleted after 30 days, but I will still have 30 days of photos on the phone & icloud at any one time.

Yes Icloud could be useful 'as is' but I have little or no control over it.

I have been told about Dropbox & it's ideal for what I want.

I take the photos, select them to be added to dropbox, they are synced with my PC, I view them on the PC then delete them and Dropbox deletes them from my phone. It will be quicker and have advantages over my normal method and best of all a lot quicker & easier than the icloud method.

----------

Sorry, but I can not find my name in a right hand upper corner when going to iCloud on my comp !

Dixi

When you go to icloud.com and sign in your name is is displayed top right next to the pic. icon, sign out & help 'clickable text'

Dixi Nielsen
Oct 16, 2011, 03:01 PM
Hafr

I don't use iphoto, all I do is view the photo on the PC. After that I don't need them anywhere but would be stuck with them on the iphone in photostream for 30 days before they get auto-deleted.

Because if I don't I'll have approx. 280 unwanted photos on my phone at any one time.

I can't see where I have the choice to sync some photos in the photostream. My phone syncs them all, nothing I can do to stop it.
When I use a proper camera then no, I don't view individual photos. I transfer them to the PC & delete from the camera. I don't keep photos on a phone or a camera.

Perhaps I did misunderstand the fact that, with icloud turned on, every photo you take is sent to the cloud & synced. But what wasn't said is that you can't delete them off your phone unless you delete them by going to icloud.com to do it then back to your phone.
OK so they are deleted after 30 days, but I will still have 30 days of photos on the phone & icloud at any one time.

I take the photos, select them to be added to dropbox, they are synced with my PC, I view them on the PC then delete them and Dropbox deletes them from my phone. It will be quicker and have advantages over my normal method and best of all a lot quicker & easier than the icloud method.

----------

When you go to icloud.com and sign in your name is is displayed top right next to the pic. icon, sign out & help 'clickable text'

Stupid of me. Of course I must go to iCloud on my Apple account and not on my computer !

jonjames
Oct 16, 2011, 06:46 PM
hi guys,

i was hoping someone could help i have read numerous threads on how to reset photo stream in icloud and i understand it, but whenever i try i get the message 'could not reset your photo stream - your photo stream could not be reset at this time due to a server error please try again later' - i have tried countless times over the last couple days??? please help???

cheers

I keep getting the error message as well. 'Can't reset photo stream due to server error. Try again later' I've been getting that message for 2 days now.[COLOR="#808080"]

[QUOTE=James Godfrey;13602294]I keep getting an error message whenever I try to reset my photo stream and it wont let me reset... keeps saying to try again later.... anyone else have this problem?

have you guys found a solution because im having the same problem as you all were. please let me know because i need to get these photos out of my photo stream. please help

shandyman
Oct 16, 2011, 06:55 PM
[QUOTE=MarkSta1;13602666]I keep getting the error message as well. 'Can't reset photo stream due to server error. Try again later' I've been getting that message for 2 days now.[COLOR="#808080"]

have you guys found a solution because im having the same problem as you all were. please let me know because i need to get these photos out of my photo stream. please help

People are saying to try a different browser as there's one where it's bringing up the error (IE I believe)

jonjames
Oct 16, 2011, 07:40 PM

you my friend are my hero! i only had ie downloaded on my pc, but went ahead and downloaded firefox and sure enough i was able to reset my photo stream! kudos to you!:D:D SHANDYMAN YOU ROCK TOO!

Victor Star
Oct 16, 2011, 08:42 PM
Try this and see if it works for you.

Take a couple of photos then swipe the screen to the right. From there you can look at your camera roll and delete photos you don't like them.

Maybe it was good timing on my part but the deleted photo didn't make it into my photo stream.

(Sorry if this has already been tried.)

cekmat
Oct 17, 2011, 12:58 AM
for now the best way to avoid any photos entering Photo stream folder is to disabled wifi. U can do anything editing, put it in secret place like photo vault or whatever. After that measures taken then delete any photos which u think inappropriate to put in Photo stream folder. then enable back wifi. have a nice day. :cool:

shandyman
Oct 17, 2011, 01:40 AM
Try this and see if it works for you.

Take a couple of photos then swipe the screen to the right. From there you can look at your camera roll and delete photos you don't like them.

Maybe it was good timing on my part but the deleted photo didn't make it into my photo stream.

(Sorry if this has already been tried.)

It only uploads to photo stream once you connect to wifi. Even when on wifi it takes a minute tops so as long as you're quick you're fine.

hafr
Oct 17, 2011, 01:45 AM
Hafr

I take the photos, select them to be added to dropbox, they are synced with my PC, I view them on the PC then delete them and Dropbox deletes them from my phone. It will be quicker and have advantages over my normal method and best of all a lot quicker & easier than the icloud method.[COLOR="#808080"]

I think I understand. Your objection is that all the photos would be stored on your iDevice and take up space? I was under the impression that the pictures in Photo Stream (in the iDevices) were supposed to be previews and not full size pictures... (i.e. if you remove the picture from your camera roll you only have a much smaller preview file in the photo stream.)

Forcing people to use up space for 30 days of photos or 1 000 of them that they've deleted from the device seems like something so stupid they can't have done it that way...

To be honest, I think SugarSync is a better option than DropBox for you. It even has a "photo app" implemented that syncs the pictures you save to a folder of your choosing on your computer :)

jcmiami
Oct 17, 2011, 11:13 PM
I just read the first few pages so somebody else may have already posted, but if you go to the iCloud online, click on your name (top right) and go to "advanced", there you can reset your photo stream. Really annoying that you have to go through all that! I also had some pics that I wanted to delete and couldn't figure out how.

gnasty
Oct 18, 2011, 12:03 AM
I came up with a work-a-round. The instructions to remove selective photos from Photo Stream are here. (http://bit.ly/mSVe9e) It's written for those using iCloud Control Panel to sync with PC. Those with Macs should be able to get the same result if they substitute for the Photo Stream folders that are used with iPhoto, or Aperture.

I do have to warn you this is by no means convenient, but it works for now until we get an update. Let me know what you guys think.

Also, I'm not sure you guys know this, or not, but if you turn off and on Photo Stream on your device, it erases the photo stream files just for that device. No iCloud.com reset needed. So basically after you take a bunch of photos, and don't want the wasted space cycle photo stream on your phone and your pictures will still be backed up in the cloud and on your computer, but will NOT sync back to your phone again unless you upload them manually. I hope that helps out some people neither solutions are perfect.

It would be real nice if apple would add support for deletion, but I'm starting to think it has something to do with the difficulty setting rules for how multiple devices handle editing the same files in the cloud. Redundancy is the safest bet to avoid data loss.

Flipper3772
Oct 18, 2011, 02:25 AM
Hi guys, first post on this site but had to tell you.... To get round the server error issue use the safari browser instead of Explorer it should work. After trying for several days, tried with safari last night and worked first time. Just follow basic directions in previous posts...

KMinWoodstock
Oct 19, 2011, 06:26 AM
Just open Settings - scroll down to Photos - turn off Photostream, and delete photos.

shandyman
Oct 19, 2011, 06:45 AM
Just open Settings - scroll down to Photos - turn off Photostream, and delete photos.

Apart from the fact that doesn't delete photos from the photostream. Nice to see you paid attention. Thanks for playing. :p

imacken
Oct 19, 2011, 06:47 AM
OMG! Have you read any of this thread? That doesn't work, it only removes the photos from the device, not Photostream.

hyperstock
Oct 19, 2011, 07:36 AM

Peace

imacken
Oct 19, 2011, 07:46 AM

Peace

OMG! Have you read any of this thread either? Resetting Photostream has been mentioned about 200 times here already, and it is not the answer to the issue in hand.

hyperstock
Oct 19, 2011, 07:52 AM
he wants to eliminate the picture stored in the photo stream cloud , thesis the answer.

imacken
Oct 19, 2011, 07:55 AM
he wants to eliminate the picture stored in the photo stream cloud , thesis the answer.
No, he wants to delete SOME photos, not destroy everything on Photostream. Your suggestion has already been made about 200 times in this thread already, as I said.
This is NOT the answer.

hyperstock
Oct 19, 2011, 07:57 AM
the same link then describes how to get rid of them from your mac , pc and iOS devices. what are you missing?

imacken
Oct 19, 2011, 08:10 AM
Sorry, but you are missing the entire point of this thread.
All people wnat to do is to be able to delete individual photos from Photostream.
IT CAN'T BE DONE! That is why this thread and many others exist.

JuanNader
Oct 19, 2011, 08:24 AM
Here it is...

https://discussions.apple.com/message/16336425#16336425

imacken
Oct 19, 2011, 08:29 AM
Here it is...

https://discussions.apple.com/message/16336425#16336425

OMG! I am cracking up with this thread.
THAT IS NOT THE SOLUTION.
How many times do people have to post about resetting Photostream!?!
DELETING INDIVIDUAL PHOTOS CAN'T BE DONE! It's as simple as that.

hafr
Oct 19, 2011, 08:37 AM
Can't someone just change the topic to "delete individual photos from photo stream, NOT ****ING RESETTING IT!" or something?

shandyman
Oct 19, 2011, 12:06 PM
the same link then describes how to get rid of them from your mac , pc and iOS devices. what are you missing?

Looks like you're the one missing the entire point! No comprehensions skills obviously.....

PNutts
Oct 19, 2011, 09:31 PM
How many times do people have to post about resetting Photostream!?!
DELETING INDIVIDUAL PHOTOS CAN'T BE DONE! It's as simple as that.

Meh, semantics. Nobody complains about handing over a 20 and getting change as compared to having 20 singles and pulling them out one by one.

With that said, I want the ability to delete individual photos from photostream without resetting.

smitha96
Oct 19, 2011, 11:59 PM
WTF is with half the replies in this thread? Obviously people aren't reading or understanding the issue that people are having...

cj672005
Oct 20, 2011, 09:17 PM
wUr7IFoGgec

But I'm sure someone has already discussed this...no time to read all the pages... But as far as Apple's concerned, there is no way to delete individual photos from photo stream. Only option is resetting photo stream, and even then, the photos seem to remain on iPhoto.

imacken
Oct 21, 2011, 03:14 AM
Perhaps if you had read some of this thread, then you would see that 5,000 people have already suggested the re-setting thing!!!! Aarrgghh!

To remove them in iPhoto, after you have done a reset on iCloud.com just switch off Photostream in iPhoto>Preferences, then switch it back on again. They are gone.

mcnitt
Oct 21, 2011, 03:57 AM
It's the 2011 version of having those questionable photos developed at Kmart.

canonman11
Oct 21, 2011, 09:02 AM
Well it took awhile to get the sequence but here is how to delete pictures from Photostream. First turn off Photostream in you Photo settings on all devices when you do this it will ask do you want to delete the photos. Once that is done all photos have been deleted from those devices. But, you also need to goto iPhoto preferences and also turn off Photostream. Next is the last place you need to go and that is to your iCloud.com account and then click on your name to access you settings. Click on the advanced button and there you will see a button reset Photostream. At this point all possible devices, iPhoto and the cloud have been purged. So if you go turn on Photostream on any device it should be empty. The key is to clear all devices because the Photostream will re populate the other devices as zoo as you turn it back on.

Hope this helps a bit of a process but it does work.

Dornblaser
Oct 21, 2011, 09:15 AM
I just want to point out the pictures in PhotoStream do not stay there forever, they are deleted after 30 days. So, if you want to keep a picture you will need to import it into a photo gallery, iPhoto, etc.

hleewell
Oct 21, 2011, 10:43 AM
Go into the iCloud settings and turn Photo Stream off, then it'll disappear out of the photos app.

Try turning on the Photo Stream again. Your old photos will pop back up !!!
You can't delete the photos taken from your native Camera app, or the photos you upload to Aperture or iPhoto. If you turn iPhoto's Photo Stream function, it will automatically upload your images to your iPad !! It happened to me. You cannot delete this from your iPad.

Heed the advise from your fellow posters here (Reset Photo Stream from iCloud.com-> click on your name, and go to Advanced). Thank you people!

Starhawk
Oct 21, 2011, 11:45 AM
Let's start a drinking game where you take a shot every time someone suggests resetting the photo stream.

shandyman
Oct 21, 2011, 12:08 PM
Well it took awhile to get the sequence but here is how to delete pictures from Photostream. First turn off Photostream in you Photo settings on all devices....

Did you actually read any of this thread??? Lol

This is getting absurd now!

av8roc
Oct 21, 2011, 12:22 PM
Holy **** Apple what a ****ing fail!

I wonder if they will address this in a future update. Obviously it was designed this way but what a stupid ****ing idea.

Please address this APPLE!

bengst
Oct 22, 2011, 04:37 PM
Did you actually read any of this thread??? Lol

This is getting absurd now!

Lol.. so true!

Anyway, on my wife's iPad there's a lot (I mean, a lot!) of outtakes photos taken by her and the kids. Mind you, not just silly photos but images downloaded from web and screenshots.

I can't imagine her face when she find out that those pictures can't be remove individually :D Though she already removed some of them from Camera Roll.

How can something as basic as deleting individual (bad) photos is overlooked? If I'm not mistaken, pictures sent to iCloud are still in Camera Roll. So why do they have to be retained in Photo Stream too?

convection
Oct 22, 2011, 07:07 PM
You can reset photo stream by going to http://www.icloud.com. Login with your apple Id that you use to stream to all your devices and click on your name on the top right corner. Then, click advance there should be a button to reset photo stream. You can save the ones you want and rid the ones you do not want. Then reset photo stream.

tootall
Oct 22, 2011, 07:16 PM
this thread reminds me of "who's on first, what's on second" .... hilarious...:D:rolleyes:

shandyman
Oct 22, 2011, 07:49 PM
You can reset photo stream by going to http://www.icloud.com. Login with your apple Id that you use to stream to all your devices and click on your name on the top right corner. Then, click advance there should be a button to reset photo stream. You can save the ones you want and rid the ones you do not want. Then reset photo stream.

Wow. You really haven't bothered to read the thread... That's the 201st time that's been said. Way to miss the point mate.

imacken
Oct 23, 2011, 05:13 AM
Let's start a drinking game where you take a shot every time someone suggests resetting the photo stream.
Haha!! Don't think my liver could stand it!

----------

If I'm not mistaken, pictures sent to iCloud are still in Camera Roll. So why do they have to be retained in Photo Stream too?
Largely because Photostream is only a temporary storage area.

monkeylui
Oct 23, 2011, 05:38 AM
I turned off photo stream & use drop box for the pics. Want to keep & sync. Don't know if that has been suggested & I apologize if it has.

imacken
Oct 23, 2011, 05:41 AM
Sure, Dropbox is an alternative, but the point about PS is that it doesn't require any manual intervention.
I'm sure the inability to delete photos will be resolved in the near future.

blizeH
Oct 24, 2011, 04:20 AM
Can someone please help me disable this on my iPhone, but instead of deleting the photos, moving them back into the camera roll?

Thank you

hafr
Oct 24, 2011, 05:02 AM
Can someone please help me disable this on my iPhone, but instead of deleting the photos, moving them back into the camera roll?

Thank you

Let the photo stream be activated, go into photo stream on your iPhone, press the little button with the arrow in the upper right corner, select the photos you want to move to your camera roll, press save, disable photo stream. Ta-daa! ;)

blizeH
Oct 24, 2011, 05:45 AM
Ah ha! Perfect, thank you so much sir :-)

DCKnight
Oct 24, 2011, 08:54 AM
The only available option at this point is to log in to www.icloud.com, go to your user, select "Advanced" and wipe out your entire PhotoStream photos.

Hope it helps..

imacken
Oct 24, 2011, 09:07 AM
The only available option at this point is to log in to www.icloud.com, go to your user, select "Advanced" and wipe out your entire PhotoStream photos.

Hope it helps..
Whenever I feel down in the day, a response in this thread always cheers me up!!
Have you looked at any of this thread at all? Obviously not, as you would have seen that you are now the 400th person to say that here.
AND, it's still not the answer!!!

shandyman
Oct 24, 2011, 11:59 AM

Hope it helps..

No it doesn't help. If you don't understand why I said that, go read the thread, on any given page and you'll see why.

Hope it helps..

PNutts
Oct 24, 2011, 03:05 PM
Whenever I feel down in the day, a response in this thread always cheers me up!!
Have you looked at any of this thread at all? Obviously not, as you would have seen that you are now the 400th person to say that here.
AND, it's still not the answer!!!

No it doesn't help. If you don't understand why I said that, go read the thread, on any given page and you'll see why.

Hope it helps..

It's time for you to let go. The OP asked how to delete some photos off Photo Stream. The only way to do that right now is to remove all of them and put the ones you want back. It's not that hard to understand and being smug and argumentative doesn't help the OP. If the thread has turned into something else then folks should stay on topic.

imacken
Oct 24, 2011, 03:09 PM
Sorry, it's not a question of not being able to understand - we understand fully - or being smug. It's a question of being 100% fed up with people who have clearly not read any of the thread, jumping in and posting the same thing over and over again.
We all know about resetting PS - apart from anything else it's been mentioned 403 times in this thread! - but it is not the answer to the original question.
The answer is that there is no way to do it at the moment - simple as that.

shandyman
Oct 24, 2011, 06:34 PM
It's time for you to let go. The OP asked how to delete some photos off Photo Stream. The only way to do that right now is to remove all of them and put the ones you want back. It's not that hard to understand and being smug and argumentative doesn't help the OP. If the thread has turned into something else then folks should stay on topic.

You totally missed the point. Well done. I'm not being argumentative. Just fed up of coming to this thread when I see new posts thinking someone actually has a way of deleting the odd photo and it's someone who has not read any of the thread saying the same thing as about 30 other people have already said like its groundhog day. It's a valid gripe.

PNutts
Oct 24, 2011, 07:45 PM
You totally missed the point. Well done. I'm not being argumentative. Just fed up of coming to this thread when I see new posts thinking someone actually has a way of deleting the odd photo and it's someone who has not read any of the thread saying the same thing as about 30 other people have already said like its groundhog day. It's a valid gripe.

lol - definitely. But I'm still confused on why folks think they cannot delete the odd photo.

Tinmania
Oct 24, 2011, 07:49 PM
lol - definitely. But I'm still confused on why folks think they cannot delete the odd photo.
OMG. Seriously?????

Michael

monkeylui
Oct 24, 2011, 09:23 PM
Sure, Dropbox is an alternative, but the point about PS is that it doesn't require any manual intervention.
I'm sure the inability to delete photos will be resolved in the near future.

And when it's "fixed" I'll turn it back on.

PNutts
Oct 24, 2011, 11:34 PM
OMG. Seriously?????

Michael

This is why the thread is 10 pages long. Or you could answer my question. The OP wanted to delete some photos out of his photo stream. Hopefully he has done so at this point. What's the issue?

shandyman
Oct 25, 2011, 04:45 AM
This is why the thread is 10 pages long. Or you could answer my question. The OP wanted to delete some photos out of his photo stream. Hopefully he has done so at this point. What's the issue?

Now I know you have missed the point. It's a common issue. Many people want to be able to delete the odd photo from the stream and are hoping someone posting a suggestion in the thread will enable this. That's why people posting the same suggestion to wipe the whole photo stream is frustrating as we know this already but it doesn't fulfill what was asked.

hafr
Oct 25, 2011, 05:40 AM

Because you can't? The only way of deleting this or that specific photo from the photo stream is to sync everything to the computer, reset the photo stream and then manually adding the previous photos that you didn't want to delete to photo stream.

Not really a great way of doing it, is it? :)

PNutts
Oct 25, 2011, 09:02 AM
Because you can't? The only way of deleting this or that specific photo from the photo stream is to sync everything to the computer, reset the photo stream and then manually adding the previous photos that you didn't want to delete to photo stream.

Not really a great way of doing it, is it? :)

Ah, someone finally calmly mentions the elephant. ;) I was beginning to think I was being too subtle.

Folks in this thread are getting caught up in how you do it. There's a big difference between "can't" and "terrible workaround".

Sorry to restate this, but the OP wanted to "delete" / "get rid" / "remove" / "un-Photo Stream" / "bury in a shallow grave" a particular photo. It is disingenuous to say you can't. Heck, I'm OK with "I rebuilt or recreated my Photo Stream without the picture of my foot". The net result is the picture is gone which is what the OP asked for.

I use Photo Stream for the screensaver on an ATV2. The first day I uploaded my most recent 650 photos to see the magic. I quickly realized that many of them aren't interesting screen saver photos (screen captures, blurry, etc.). So I "deleted" about 150 of them (a multi-step process which is currently all we have).

Since I'm not an ISP with unlimited bandwidth, before uploading the pics I downsized them and removed all metadata except the EXIF orientation tag.

Tinmania
Oct 25, 2011, 11:28 AM
Ah, someone finally calmly mentions the elephant. ;) I was beginning to think I was being too subtle.
If instead of defending yourself had you spent the time to read the thread you would have no doubt what the heck we all meant.

And, no, deleting all PS photos and then trying to get a subset of them back onto PS is not "deleting the odd photo." That is still deleting them all, not to mention any place they have been downloaded, and then recreating it.

Clearly there is a need to delete individual PS photos and I suspect that option will be added. There is already a growing outcry for it. Actually there needs to be options too rather than "everything except video." As a developer I take a lot of screenshots and my PS is more than half-filled with just screenshots. I would like an option to not send PNGs to the PS, for instance. Perhaps there even needs to be a setting for the camera that, if turned on, will ask after each shot if you want it uploaded to PS. And, getting a little over optimistic with this, but it would be nice to be able to toggle it on and off without resetting anything. Or even a PS "snooze" that would turn it off for x number of minutes. :)

Michael

PNutts
Oct 25, 2011, 01:42 PM
If instead of defending yourself had you spent the time to read the thread you would have no doubt what the heck we all meant.

And, no, deleting all PS photos and then trying to get a subset of them back onto PS is not "deleting the odd photo." That is still deleting them all, not to mention any place they have been downloaded, and then recreating it

Did read thread. Too many people shouting, "You can't". That's not true. The OP wanted to remove a couple of photos from his Photo Stream. You can, just not the way people want to do. Also, you don't need to delete photos from where they've been downloaded.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4486

Oh well, I've said my piece. The answer is out there for those that need it.

I also want the ability to remove a single photo(s) without using the current method.

shandyman
Oct 25, 2011, 05:40 PM
Did read thread. Too many people shouting, "You can't". That's not true. The OP wanted to remove a couple of photos from his Photo Stream.

no it is true. You cannot delete just a couple, you have to delete them all. Doing that then re-adding is no just deleting a couple. The OP doesn't just want to delete a couple once, but whenever needed, go read the OP again to see.

Tinmania
Oct 25, 2011, 09:40 PM
no it is true. You cannot delete just a couple, you have to delete them all. Doing that then re-adding is no just deleting a couple. The OP doesn't just want to delete a couple once, but whenever needed, go read the OP again to see.
And this is like the first hit on a google search of "delete photo stream photos."

I can imagine how many people will read the "solution" that is not a solution and go away scratching their heads. lol

Michael

YoYoCome
Oct 26, 2011, 02:03 AM
Did read thread. Too many people shouting, "You can't". That's not true. The OP wanted to remove a couple of photos from his Photo Stream. You can, just not the way people want to do. Also, you don't need to delete photos from where they've been downloaded.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4486

Oh well, I've said my piece. The answer is out there for those that need it.

I also want the ability to remove a single photo(s) without using the current method.

The answer is out there, which is you CAN'T delete a couple of photos from Photo Stream. (There are methods to delete a couple photos from Photo Stream by NOT using Photo Stream, but that's not what the OP wants and that's not what users want. Not everyone has the time to take gazillion steps just to remove 10 photos from Photo Stream.) I think you are definitely missing the point of this thread.

The solution is out there for those who are looking to delete the ENTIRE album on Photo Stream.

So until Apple decides to put more features into Photo Stream, it is pretty useless to me right now.

hafr
Oct 26, 2011, 02:10 AM

Stop being daft. You get the exact same result in the end, the only difference is the only possible way is a lot more tedious than the, let's say, only logical way.

You can't go to photo stream and delete this and that photo like you can in a normal album, but you can alter your photo stream into looking like you have. Which is what OP wanted - a way of removing only certain pictures from his photo stream. And he can use this method whenever needed...

shandyman
Oct 26, 2011, 02:17 AM
Stop being daft. You get the exact same result in the end, the only difference is the only possible way is a lot more tedious than the, let's say, only logical way.

You can't go to photo stream and delete this and that photo like you can in a normal album, but you can alter your photo stream into looking like you have. Which is what OP wanted - a way of removing only certain pictures from his photo stream. And he can use this method whenever needed...

I'm not being daft, it's just not a practical solution to do it anytime you want to delete the odd photo or 2 on an ad hoc basis, which is what the OP and many others in this thread are after.

hafr
Oct 26, 2011, 03:38 AM
I'm not being daft, it's just not a practical solution to do it anytime you want to delete the odd photo or 2 on an ad hoc basis, which is what the OP and many others in this thread are after.

No one has said it's a practical solution, quite the contrary actually. But it does exactly what the OP is asking for - removes selected pictures from the photo stream.

And, just because you used the expression "ad hoc basis"; this is an ad hoc solution if anything :p

Rojoyinc
Oct 26, 2011, 12:21 PM
Pics? maybe you shouldn't be doing what you're doing when the pic is taken?

I love it - but I did want to delete - only because I'm not sure how it works and I'm trying to free up space on my ipad2.

I moved the pics from my PC to my photos... to delete them from it.

I assume since they're still on the ipad they'll appear again? maybe not.
If I see them on ipad in "stream" they're not really taking space on the ipad right?

also - how do I get it to transfer the video clips too?

I'd like it to transfer all - so I can delete them off the ipad the next day knowing I have them on the Pc.

YES as someone said above a "sync" dir would be better, anywhere we toss or save into the sync dir would appear on pc.

What I want to know is - HOW TO DELETE MASS AMOUNTS OR ALL photos in a album or dir on ipad? I have a burst photo ap that takes like 20 pics a second to get the right one. (of kids or fast action) and out of the 100 I might shoot I want to keep 3-4. So far I have to tap each to delete. Seems really stupid!

I'd like to select groups, all or at least delete all in dir.