PDA

View Full Version : Final Cut Pro X and Third-Party Thunderbolt Peripherals Coming Next Week?

MacRumors
Jun 14, 2011, 11:52 AM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/14/final-cut-pro-x-and-third-party-thunderbolt-peripherals-coming-next-week/)

Japanese blog Mac Otakara reports (http://www.macotakara.jp/blog/index.php?ID=12999) that Apple is apparently set to launch its new Final Cut Pro X offerings next week, to be accompanied by the release of a number of new Thunderbolt-equipped accessories from third-party vendors.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/06/fcp_x_mbp.jpg
Apple demoed (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/04/12/apple-demos-final-cut-pro-x-at-nab-2011/) Final Cut Pro X back in mid-April, announcing that the professional video production software would launch on the Mac App Store in June priced at $299. Apple has yet to release any official word on the other components of its Final Cut Studio package or its lighter-weight Final Cut Express software. A number of screenshots from Final Cut Pro X and related applications have also leaked in recent days just ahead of the software's launch, but the full details remain unknown.

Apple debuted the new Thunderbolt high-speed data and display connectivity standard on revamped MacBook Pros back in late February (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/02/24/apple-launches-macbook-pros-with-thunderbolt-quad-core-cpus-amd-gpus/), extending the feature to its iMac line just last month (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/05/03/apple-releases-new-sandy-bridge-quad-core-imacs-with-thunderbolt/). Third-party vendors have been showing off (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/04/11/thunderbolt-products-starting-to-roll-out-at-nab/) new Thunderbolt-equipped peripherals, but few have made it to market so far. If today's report is true, it seems that Apple will be taking advantage of the Final Cut Pro X debut to also roll out new Thunderbolt peripherals, devices that video professionals will almost certainly find useful in moving large files around quickly.

Article Link: Final Cut Pro X and Third-Party Thunderbolt Peripherals Coming Next Week? (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/14/final-cut-pro-x-and-third-party-thunderbolt-peripherals-coming-next-week/)

gmanist1000
Jun 14, 2011, 11:56 AM
I'm looking to buy a thunderbolt peripheral! Hopefully it's not too expensive though...

rWally
Jun 14, 2011, 11:59 AM
I'm looking to buy a thunderbolt peripheral! Hopefully it's not too expensive though...

Good luck with that... It will probably be a while before any of the thunderbolt stuff is reasonably priced.

puckhead193
Jun 14, 2011, 11:59 AM
hopefully new FCPX comes with new updated mac pros :D
bring it apple. I'm waiting for new toys!

sblanford
Jun 14, 2011, 12:00 PM
Awesome! I need to start on a large project for a client and was waiting to get started on the new version! Next week can't come soon enough!!!:)

cburton
Jun 14, 2011, 12:01 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Anxious to see the DVDSP updates ... hurry up next week!

gmanist1000
Jun 14, 2011, 12:04 PM
Good luck with that... It will probably be a while before any of the thunderbolt stuff is reasonably priced.

Yeah that's what I'm afraid of... oh well we will see soon enough.

AppleDroid
Jun 14, 2011, 12:05 PM
How about telling us about the suite?! We just want to know about the SUITE! :D

dvkid
Awesome! I need to start on a large project for a client and was waiting to get started on the new version! Next week can't come soon enough!!!:)

You, good sir, have balls the size of watermelons. I've had more than one frustrating bug in previous FCP updates.

And with what appears to be a completely re-imagined interface, I'm already planning for things to take a bit longer for the next month or so.

[SIZE=1]Anxious to see the DVDSP updates ... hurry up next week!

I think you'll be waiting a bit longer for any of the other apps in the Final Cut Studio to be updated. We've seen some Motion screenshots, but that is about it. And with Apple's recent history of pretending DVDSP (and DVDs in general) don't exist, I don't have high hopes. Seriously looking at CS for my future disc authoring needs.

11thIndian
Apple said at the NAB presentation that Final Cut Express is GONE. It's now just iMovie or FCPX.

Sirmausalot
Jun 14, 2011, 12:06 PM
Fantastic. But you need a RAID SSD to really take advantage of a Thunderbolt port. And that's gonna be HUGE bucks. Hopefully there will be some surprises. I need Final Cut Pro X YESTERDAY for my 5D footage and I need to know how the well the sync feature will work.

ratzzo
Jun 14, 2011, 12:08 PM
Fantastic. But you need a RAID SSD to really take advantage of a Thunderbolt port. And that's gonna be HUGE bucks. Hopefully there will be some surprises. I need Final Cut Pro X YESTERDAY for my 5D footage and I need to know how the well the sync feature will work.

Yep, but this is better than nothing at all :)

Peteman100
Jun 14, 2011, 12:08 PM
Finally! I hope its not all just really high end stuff though. I really want a Thunderbolt 3.5" enclosure.

ninjadex
Jun 14, 2011, 12:11 PM
Thunderbolt hardware from Blackmagic and AJA are likely the peripherals referred to in this report.

basesloaded190
Jun 14, 2011, 12:12 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Come on thunderbolt hub!

esquared
Jun 14, 2011, 12:12 PM

I 2nd that sentiment, new MacPro's please. Built-in 8TB SSD RAID, 32 GB Ram, 4.0 GHz 24 Core, fire extinguisher extra.

YoGramMamma
Jun 14, 2011, 12:15 PM
Speaking of....

I was on the hunt last night for the Promise Pegasus R4 thunderbolt RAID that was announced a few months back to go along with my new iMac that just arrived yesterday.... Promise's site sucks and they offer no information on where to buy this or what it costs to buy it.. all their vendors' sites suck too. So I emailed their support/sales people and I heard back from him this morning. The email said

Thank you for your email. The R4, with either 1 or 2 TB SATA drives can now be ordered at the Apple web store (store.apple.com)

Nice reply and all... but a search for this item still turns up nothing at all. So maybe this means that they're finally on sale but just haven't propagated through Apple's store system yet or something. But they need to come on out with this stuff... the market for people who want to buy FCPX and thunderbolt stuff isn't really the market that should be treaded with shrouds of secrecy like the iPod/iPhone market. At the very least they should have a price, an availability date, and where we can buy.

Jamieserg
Jun 14, 2011, 12:18 PM
I just really want to know about the suite and get my hands on this bad boy.

Do you think that it'll be extra for the suite? My guess is they'll probably split them up on the app store like they did with iWork and iLife. Although i'd prefer some sort of optical media because it would take ages to download on my crappy connection.

Robellyn
Jun 14, 2011, 12:20 PM

It would be uncommonly cruel to give us FCPX, new Thunderbolt peripherals to use with it, and NO MacPro that could use Thunderbolt.

I've been waiting all spring for a MacPro with a thunderbolt port so I can update my 2006 'pro!

So I must concur! Bringeth it on!

sblanford
Jun 14, 2011, 12:21 PM
Come on thunderbolt hub!

Yes that would be awesome!

bozs13
Jun 14, 2011, 12:23 PM

Same thing here man...just waiting...

Sirmausalot
Jun 14, 2011, 12:23 PM
It would be uncommonly cruel to give us FCPX, new Thunderbolt peripherals to use with it, and NO MacPro that could use Thunderbolt.

I've been waiting all spring for a MacPro with a thunderbolt port so I can update my 2006 'pro!

So I must concur! Bringeth it on!

But why do you need external devices with a Mac Pro? It can handle the SSDs and graphics inside for a fraction of the price...

42streetsdown
Jun 14, 2011, 12:25 PM
I can't wait to get my hands on this. it's gonna be soooo good. :)

FrizzleFryBen
Jun 14, 2011, 12:30 PM
CreditCard in hand, PLEASE let this be true!..... :D

Put that credit card away. It'll be in the appStore. ;)

Icaras
Jun 14, 2011, 12:31 PM
Release this thing now so we can finally move on to Logic X as well :):D

jayfehr
Jun 14, 2011, 12:33 PM
All I want is a reasonably priced ThunderBolt hard drive that I can put my bootcamp partition on. I only use it for games so getting 1/3 of my internal drive back for "important stuff" on the go will be nice. All I ask is that it runs at the full bus speed, and from everything I've read it should.

mBox
Jun 14, 2011, 12:35 PM
I need an PCI Externder via TB off a new Mac Pro ;)
Is that asking for too much?
Need home for extra RED ROCKETS and NVIDIA GPUs :)

LimeiBook86
Jun 14, 2011, 12:39 PM
All I want is a reasonably priced ThunderBolt hard drive that I can put my bootcamp partition on. I only use it for games so getting 1/3 of my internal drive back for "important stuff" on the go will be nice. All I ask is that it runs at the full bus speed, and from everything I've read it should.

Unfortunately I doubt that would be of much help. BootCamp / Windows is unable to boot off of an external drive (at least not easily) currently using FireWire or USB. I doubt much will change with Thunderbolt. Unless Thunderbolt is recognized as an internal SATA port in the Mac's EFI and doesn't need anything special to boot off via either OS.

Thunderbolt devices and any Final Cut information would be very, very nice. :)

smithrh
Jun 14, 2011, 12:41 PM
Hopefully someone with more smarts than I have can answer this:

Is it not possible to establish a Mac-to-Mac TB-to-TB connection?

Sure, we're all waiting for peripherals, but there could be some value in establishing links between TB-equipped Macs as well...

handsome pete
Jun 14, 2011, 12:42 PM

No offense, but that's a terrible idea.

LimeiBook86
Jun 14, 2011, 12:43 PM

Sure, we're all waiting for peripherals, but there could be some value in establishing links between TB-equipped Macs as well...

I'd love to see that as well... kinda like doing FireWire target disk mode, or creating a FireWire network. That would be very cool indeed! I guess a regular-ol MiniDisplay port cable would work. However the Mac needs to fully support that type of networking too.

rockstarjoe
Jun 14, 2011, 12:43 PM
Release this thing now so we can finally move on to Logic X as well :):D

Agreed! :) I'd love to hear some rumors about that...

Pressure
Jun 14, 2011, 12:44 PM

I'd love to see that as well... kinda like doing FireWire target disk mode, or creating a FireWire network. That would be very cool indeed! I guess a regular-ol MiniDisplay port cable would work. However the Mac needs to fully support that type of networking too.

Thunderbolt does support that feature.

smithrh
Jun 14, 2011, 12:47 PM
Thunderbolt does support that feature.

OK, so a little puzzled then as to why we haven't seen a developer (or even Apple) seed the market with a small app that shows the abilities of TB for Mac-to-Mac links...

But since I don't have any TB-equipped Macs just yet (soon!), I can wait on the sidelines for a bit. I would like to be able to transfer files from my laptop to my server in a quick fashion, once I have TB in both spots I would hope I could do this...

Robellyn
Jun 14, 2011, 12:51 PM
But why do you need external devices with a Mac Pro? It can handle the SSDs and graphics inside for a fraction of the price...

Ah, really, only for forward compatiblity. I keep my MacPro's (and my Powermacs before them) for 5-6 years. Just because I have no need for the external devices at this EXACT moment doesn't mean I will not need them in 5 years time, and thunderbolt may be used for more than external drives.

So, in all honesty, Regardless of Apple releasing a new (minor updated) Pro soon, I'm going to replace my failing 2006 model, Thunderbolt or not, but I would MUCH rather have one WITH.

wesleyh
Jun 14, 2011, 12:53 PM
Can you boot from thunderbolt? (Thunderbolt attached SSD drive)

akm3
Jun 14, 2011, 12:54 PM

Has it been confirmed that fcpx can support DV/HDV input via FireWire, or not?

hallsofmontezum
Jun 14, 2011, 12:58 PM
The article says "few have made it to market". What are the "few" out so far? I'm not aware of ANY for sale.

jonnysods
Jun 14, 2011, 01:03 PM
Hey Apple, how about fixing the Thunderbolt port so my 24" ACD doesn't look like this?

fxtech
Jun 14, 2011, 01:11 PM

Don't know why you were modded down. You are 100% correct!

FrizzleFryBen
Jun 14, 2011, 01:18 PM
Don't know why you were modded down. You are 100% correct!

I'm a noob to all forums... Don't even know what that means :(

fxtech
Jun 14, 2011, 01:24 PM
I'm a noob to all forums... Don't even know what that means :(

I don't think people here understand the point of a moderation system. Typically it is used to moderate posts for accuracy or "trollness". But people here seem to just mod things down they don't like, even if the content is 100% correct. I think it's the MacRumors version of calling something "gay".

Pretty much pointless IMO, but I guess it gives people some imaginary semblance of control.

mBox
Jun 14, 2011, 01:25 PM

Has it been confirmed that fcpx cant support DV/HDV input via FireWire, or not?If Apple still supports it I can see why they would not put it in.
Its a no brainer.
Its all about File Based Media now, the only gripe that might come true is the log and capture via real time. I honestly havent used that option in 3 years.
All footages that hit my studio arrives in MXF, R3D and variations of CF cards from Canon/Sony etc..
Its a File Based World ;)

handygeek
Jun 14, 2011, 01:42 PM

Seeing as how this is a fibre connection and Apple has XSAN software for shared storage, I am not sure this will be a standard feature. FWIW, XSAN costs $1k/system. If Apple does do this, their XSAN offering becomes less appealing to smaller shops. But stranger things have happened. I could see a peer-to-peer situation for TB, but more robust file sharing to be handled by XSAN. Good question!

OddyOh
Jun 14, 2011, 01:43 PM
If Apple still supports it I can see why they would not put it in.
Its a no brainer.
Its all about File Based Media now, the only gripe that might come true is the log and capture via real time. I honestly havent used that option in 3 years.
All footages that hit my studio arrives in MXF, R3D and variations of CF cards from Canon/Sony etc..

Sure hope so. I've just inherited the family VHS collection, and am looking to send those down the FW pipe via Canopus ADVC 100 into FCPX. I've tried USB solutions, and the audio gets out of sync more often than not. FireWire is the way. ;)

cracker9
Jun 14, 2011, 01:43 PM
I look forward to doing some heavy editing on my loaded 11" air because I know it can handle it!

scotth23
Jun 14, 2011, 01:47 PM

Maybe you should test drive that never-been-used-professionally-before software before subjecting your client to Apple 1.0 quirks.

Just a thought.

scottsjack
Jun 14, 2011, 01:54 PM
Maybe you should test drive that never-been-used-professionally-before software before subjecting your client to Apple 1.0 quirks.

Just a thought.

Oh come on, Aperture 3 was perfect when it was released!:)

sbrage2000
Jun 14, 2011, 02:02 PM
Speaking of....
Nice reply and all... but a search for this item still turns up nothing at all. So maybe this means that they're finally on sale but just haven't propagated through Apple's store system yet or something. But they need to come on out with this stuff... the market for people who want to buy FCPX and thunderbolt stuff isn't really the market that should be treaded with shrouds of secrecy like the iPod/iPhone market. At the very least they should have a price, an availability date, and where we can buy.

Nothing on Apple's site but check out this link:

http://www.amazon.com/Promise-Pegasus-4x2TB-RAID-System/dp/B0055SHVYK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1308072886&sr=8-1

Amazon has an entry that points to Apple's site. Follow the link and there's nothing but a placeholder is a good start :)

mBox
Jun 14, 2011, 02:03 PM
Oh come on, Aperture 3 was perfect when it was released!:)Yep so was Premiere 7, Premiere Pro <insert CS# here>, Avid MC 5.0x(uggh)...you get the drift ;)

obama3344
Jun 14, 2011, 02:06 PM
is there any thunderbolt enclosure for external hard drive?

MCIowaRulz
Jun 14, 2011, 02:07 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

What are the file sizes?
At 3mbps it's going to be awhile

handygeek
Jun 14, 2011, 02:14 PM
is there any thunderbolt enclosure for external hard drive?

Not as yet, but it'll come soon. Check out the bottom of Apple's TB page for products soon to come.

http://www.apple.com/thunderbolt/

thedarkhorse
Jun 14, 2011, 02:16 PM

If that's what you're excited about get ready for disappointment.

As for those worried about download time I wouldn't be worried, people seem to think modern internet connections can't handle large downloads for some reason. I downloaded an 8gb game in an hour on my cable internet the other day through steam. If apple keeps content separate or all "content" is just generators through motion then I wouldn't be surprised to see this under a gig.

CIA
Jun 14, 2011, 02:16 PM
Also still waiting to hear how Apple will handle volume licensing. A lot of smaller TV stations edit on Final Cut (like mine) but have more then 5 seats. Since it's App store only, it's a logistical thing we're going to have to figure out. Will we need 2 App store accounts to handle the 7 (soon 8) final cut workstations we use here?

handygeek
Jun 14, 2011, 02:17 PM
What are the file sizes?
At 3mbps it's going to be awhile

No one knows yet, but I would think Apple will be smart about it by offering the content separately from the app bundle(s).

finalcut
Jun 14, 2011, 02:19 PM

http://www.amazon.com/Promise-Pegasus-4x2TB-RAID-System/dp/B0055SHVYK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1308072886&sr=8-1

Amazon has an entry that points to Apple's site. Follow the link and there's nothing but a placeholder is a good start :)At that price, it looks like I will still buying FW800 HDD for my backup solutions

handygeek
Jun 14, 2011, 02:21 PM
Also still waiting to hear how Apple will handle volume licensing. A lot of smaller TV stations edit on Final Cut (like mine) but have more then 5 seats. Since it's App store only, it's a logistical thing we're going to have to figure out. Will we need 2 App store accounts to handle the 7 (soon 8) final cut workstations we use here?

I'm wondering that myself as we have 12 seats currently. I don't know that it will be App Store ONLY, though. At the SuperMeet, I was careful to listen for any wording like that. Yes, it will be available via the app store, but we don't know that it's the only way to buy it. I think Apple will shoot themselves in the foot if that is their only mode of purchase. If they do want that, I think they'll have to come up with an enterprise-level app store or some such thing.

Trouser Cough
Jun 14, 2011, 02:23 PM
I just want a 3.5" thunderbolt dock. That'd be baller.

Trouser Cough
Jun 14, 2011, 02:24 PM
I'm wondering that myself as we have 12 seats currently. I don't know that it will be App Store ONLY, though. At the SuperMeet, I was careful to listen for any wording like that. Yes, it will be available via the app store, but we don't know that it's the only way to buy it. I think Apple will shoot themselves in the foot if that is their only mode of purchase. If they do want that, I think they'll have to come up with an enterprise-level app store or some such thing.

They just want to make sure they get their 30%.

....:p

handygeek
Jun 14, 2011, 02:25 PM
At that price, it looks like I will still buying FW800 HDD for my backup solutions

TB is probably overkill for backup use. Personally, I'd use TB only for high performance needs like scratch disks, capture hardware and XSAN connectivity. It will take a while for Joe Consumer to need that kind of performance and even longer for peripherals to come down in price.

SeattleMoose
Jun 14, 2011, 02:36 PM
So I must concur! Bringeth it onETH!

:cool:

tarproductions
Jun 14, 2011, 02:57 PM

Sounds like Lion will be Mac App Store only, why would FCPx, or any new release from Apple, be any different? Seems to me like this is they way they get customers onboard with the Mac App Store. Just my guess.
-Tim

deconstruct60
Jun 14, 2011, 02:58 PM
Since it's App store only, it's a logistical thing we're going to have to figure out. Will we need 2 App store accounts to handle the 7 (soon 8) final cut workstations we use here?

Go here:
http://www.apple.com/legal/itunes/us/terms.html

do a search for this phrase: "MAC APP STORE PRODUCT USAGE RULES"

Namely, you would need just as many App Store accounts as there are seats (if 8 workstations then 8). If 8 folks shared 5 workstations you'd only need 5. However, if there are employees who have it installed on Mac Pro and their MBP then ony need to by one for that employee (the presumption is that only one of those are used at a time).

the "iTunes covers 5 computers" thing is only valid for personal/home usage, not commerce. For personal usage mac App store is any many macs as you "personally control". If own 10 then it is 10. Obviously, they are not gong to let a business follow that rule since have resources and/or need for many. The limitation varies by who is buying what in which store. It isn't uniform.

At some point Apple is going to have to fix the "stores" so that they can due volume/bulk licensing. So far it is pretty ad hoc. If they plan to fix that soon it would be better to roll that out before Lion ships. However, given Apple's SNAFU release track record it would not be surprising to see them roll it out in the middle of the Lion update maelstrom.

iasky
Jun 14, 2011, 02:58 PM
I've been waiting all spring for a MacPro with a thunderbolt port ...

I finally paid off my Mac II with Sony 13" Tinitron and am now ready for my next $5000 Mac work station :rolleyes:

Show me the THUNDERPROs Steve!

Ingot
Jun 14, 2011, 03:21 PM
I 2nd that sentiment, new MacPro's please. Built-in 8TB SSD RAID, 32 GB Ram, 4.0 GHz 24 Core, fire extinguisher extra.

Too funny. But somehow true... in a sad sense...

handygeek
Jun 14, 2011, 03:28 PM
At some point Apple is going to have to fix the "stores" so that they can due volume/bulk licensing.

Exactly. By definition a Pro app infers Professional Use - ergo, no "personal use" would apply. So, how are they drawing the distinction? They can't, by law, charge different prices to different businesses - exception being volume licensing. Example: I do work on the side at home and I have three Macs there. Under the current model, I should be able to buy Final Cut Pro X once and install it on all three of my Macs. But that gives me an unfair advantage over the three person, three system shop who has to buy three copies of the same software even though they are all under one roof and one admin.

I also do work for higher education and what's to become of them for their volume licensing? It used to be pretty simple - one license per station, not per user. I get the one license for all systems for personal use stuff, but not for pro apps of any kind. For that matter, what will companies do with Lion if the app store is the only route? What will the colleges do? Etc. It just gets messy with this app store modality for the enterprise. I agree, Apple is going to have to find a more enterprise-friendly licensing route. Not acting will only promote corporate-level piracy for lack of legitimate licensing. They stand to lose a lot of higher-margin profit dollars.

SiskoKid
Jun 14, 2011, 03:32 PM
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I think I've seen this idea float around on these forums.

But could they make an external casing for graphics cards and run them through Thunderbolt and you can use that to upgrade your graphics card in case you have an iMac?

I'm just curious how far reaching and fast Thunderbolt is.

mac jones
Jun 14, 2011, 03:32 PM
I'm sooo excited!!!

I just can't wait for my new Thunderbolt external drive (aka 'Speed demon')

I've got my order in! 1TB external drive, 3 (yes 3!) Thundy ports!.

Only $1500!! (I know it's a bit expensive but HEY! your only broke once? (is that the saying :confused: )

Note: (Raid is $2500) a bit out of my range this month :(

tjwaido
Jun 14, 2011, 03:36 PM
I would like to see the whole Final Cut Studio suite come out, but FCP would be a nice upgrade alone.

In regard to ThunderBolt, I have been using Caldigit USB 3.0 for Mac with WD hard drives as a temporary solution until Thunderbolt fully comes online with internal and external products. It will be at least three years before I upgrade my system, so in the meantime, it's USB 3.0.

Can there ever be a third party (Caldigit) ThunderBolt PCI card? Will PCI keep up with 10Gb/s.

handygeek
Jun 14, 2011, 03:40 PM
Can there ever be a third party (Caldigit) ThunderBolt PCI card? Will PCI keep up with 10Gb/s.

Nope - it's a change in the bus altogether. Your system will either handle TB or it won't. I'm sure you'll be able to interface devices, but that won't gain you the performance increase. It's like adding a PCIe expansion chassis to a PCI-x system. Sure you can adapt devices and cards, but your system can only handle what the system bus can handle.

handygeek
Jun 14, 2011, 03:45 PM
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I think I've seen this idea float around on these forums.

But could they make an external casing for graphics cards and run them through Thunderbolt and you can use that to upgrade your graphics card in case you have an iMac?

I'm just curious how far reaching and fast Thunderbolt is.

You are conflating graphics computation with display bandwidth, there. The graphics card will still handle the processing of graphics. The way I read the TB documentation was that it just transports the data that the graphics card outputs. It is a bus and transport system for data and it opens the possibilities up tremendously for higher performance peripherals. Your graphics card would be a peripheral in this sense.

handygeek
Jun 14, 2011, 03:47 PM
It will be at least three years before I upgrade my system, so in the meantime, it's USB 3.0.

FWIW, there is absolutely nothing wrong with continuing to use USB 3.0. I suspect TB will be a bit slow to adopt anyway. By the time you are ready to get a new Mac, there will be a lot more available at much lower cost than currently.

handygeek
Jun 14, 2011, 04:10 PM
Uh oh - someone's in trouble.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11/06/14/cease_and_desist_threats_authenticate_recent_final_cut_pro_x_screenshots.html

Keebler
Jun 14, 2011, 04:21 PM

+1 and compressor. exciting times! woot!

CIA
Jun 14, 2011, 04:30 PM
Go here:
http://www.apple.com/legal/itunes/us/terms.html

do a search for this phrase: "MAC APP STORE PRODUCT USAGE RULES"

Namely, you would need just as many App Store accounts as there are seats (if 8 workstations then 8). If 8 folks shared 5 workstations you'd only need 5. However, if there are employees who have it installed on Mac Pro and their MBP then ony need to by one for that employee (the presumption is that only one of those are used at a time).

the "iTunes covers 5 computers" thing is only valid for personal/home usage, not commerce. For personal usage mac App store is any many macs as you "personally control". If own 10 then it is 10. Obviously, they are not gong to let a business follow that rule since have resources and/or need for many. The limitation varies by who is buying what in which store. It isn't uniform.

At some point Apple is going to have to fix the "stores" so that they can due volume/bulk licensing. So far it is pretty ad hoc. If they plan to fix that soon it would be better to roll that out before Lion ships. However, given Apple's SNAFU release track record it would not be surprising to see them roll it out in the middle of the Lion update maelstrom.

Well, there was a volume license for the last Final Cut Studio (what we have) and it saved us some money. We don't really need volume licensing for some of the other apps in the FCS bundle (really don't need more then one copy of DVD SP, and Soundtrack). While FCPX is cheaper as a single app, it might wind up being more expensive now to buy that, plus motion X when it comes out, plus a copy of Soundtrack, etc etc.
Either way, when dealing with many many seats a volume install makes life a lot easier for both seller and client. Thank god I don't work at a huge post house, what a pain. (Although, they probably already have a plan in place for this)

hsilver
Jun 14, 2011, 04:51 PM
I think the original poster is asking about an expansion chassis to handle graphics card with something like an iMac or MacBook that doesn't have room for extra cards. The answer is that Sonnet already offers such a device with Thunderbolt.

You are conflating graphics computation with display bandwidth, there. The graphics card will still handle the processing of graphics. The way I read the TB documentation was that it just transports the data that the graphics card outputs. It is a bus and transport system for data and it opens the possibilities up tremendously for higher performance peripherals. Your graphics card would be a peripheral in this sense.

KeithPratt
Jun 14, 2011, 06:07 PM
Will PCI keep up with 10Gb/s.

PCI-E slots 1 and 2 on the Mac Pro are 64Gb/s, so the GPU currently has access to far greater bandwidth than Thunderbolt would offer. How much of this bandwidth GPUs typically make use of, I don't know.

H. Flower
Jun 14, 2011, 06:08 PM
Jesus Christ, they're 2-3 years behind with this release and they're gonna drag this out as long as possible?

Release the damn program already!:mad:

charlituna
Jun 14, 2011, 06:17 PM

Not sure what you are getting at with that, cause you can use a credit card with the app store

MacMojo1
Jun 14, 2011, 06:59 PM
I just want a TB hub that I can plug everything into then take one cable to the mbp

YoGramMamma
Jun 14, 2011, 07:21 PM

Amazon has an entry that points to Apple's site. Follow the link and there's nothing but a placeholder is a good start :)

Good find.. steep Price though, yeesh. I got an email later in the day from that same guy from Promise support and he said that for some reason the listing was there, then removed by apple, but that it should be back up there shortly. Probably Apple trying to save hype for all the TB stuff until next week, which would explain why Amazon has a direct product link on the Apple web store to link to it although the item isn't there anymore.

JesterJJZ
Jun 14, 2011, 07:40 PM

That flies right in the face of anything that sounds like a good plan. No way in hell I'd EVER start a project on a new piece of software I've NEVER USED, no matter how small of a project.

Yeah, I'll get FCPX when it launches and start messing with it. But it'll be AT LEAST 6 months to a year before I deem it worthy of being part of my workflow.

JesterJJZ
Jun 14, 2011, 07:42 PM
No offense, but that's a terrible idea.

What he said...

JesterJJZ
Jun 14, 2011, 07:44 PM
i think it's the macrumors version of calling something "gay".

lol!

+1 :D

JesterJJZ
Jun 14, 2011, 07:46 PM
If Apple still supports it I can see why they would not put it in.
Its a no brainer.

What about the 500+ DV tapes I have in my archive that I may need to go to for some reason? Yeah, I've been 100% tapeless for the past couple years, but cmon...

AngryLeprechaun
Jun 14, 2011, 10:24 PM

I have my 3 $100 iTunes gift cards in hand that I got for $255 at Best Buy.

Not to mention I already got a $100 Best Buy gift card so technically I'll be paying half for FCPX's already low price.

Today is a good day. :D

Thomas2006
Jun 14, 2011, 10:31 PM
Apple said at the NAB presentation that Final Cut Express is GONE. It's now just iMovie or FCPX.
With Final Cut Pro X costing just 299USD, I do not expect there to be an Express version. I also expect there to be no (easy) way to import iMovie projects into Final Cut Pro X. I am wondering if we will need a Mac with dedicated graphics, because if we do, then that leaves the current Mac mini users out of luck.

Fast Shadow
Jun 14, 2011, 10:57 PM
My body is ready.

MacPhilosopher
Jun 14, 2011, 10:59 PM

That's right, and drive down the prices of firewire devices that work just fine. I'll have more drive space than I know what to do with.

MacPhilosopher
Jun 14, 2011, 11:02 PM
With Final Cut Pro X costing just 299USD, I do not expect there to be an Express version. I also expect there to be no (easy) way to import iMovie projects into Final Cut Pro X. I am wondering if we will need a Mac with dedicated graphics, because if we do, then that leaves the current Mac mini users out of luck.

Take it from my experience, when using professional software, use professional level hardware. I love my mac mini, but would never use it for serious editing. A beast such as FCP needs a cpu and video card to handle it.

CupOfJoeD
Jun 14, 2011, 11:23 PM
Take it from my experience, when using professional software, use professional level hardware. I love my mac mini, but would never use it for serious editing. A beast such as FCP needs a cpu and video card to handle it.

Yeah check out the White Paper on FCP X, basically everyone that does not have a Macbook Pro 2011 - later or 2009 Mac Pro - later... is screwed. Well not completely but somewhat, only because of the background processes this version will have. (background rendering, and such) but hopefully the Thunderbolt Peripherals will make up for it somehow.

I'm going to Larry Jordan's seminar! :D

YoGramMamma
Jun 15, 2011, 01:02 AM

Sort of a farce don't you think? I mean, aren't the macbooks/mac minis of today faster (or at the very least just as good) as the macbook pro / mac pro of 3 years ago... you know... when final cut pro was ... well.. basically the same as it was now? I know I know the new Final Cut Pro X will require more power than the current final cut pro... but I mean, lets be real. Anything final cut pro will install on is *good enough* to run it and do professional work. Obviously the more money you have to buy a better machine, the better you should buy... but really its fine if you want to charge for the work you do on FCP on a mac mini, which is, after all, professional work by definition.

I mean, i ran FCP on my old powerbook G4 and my freakin iPad is probably faster than that now.

4God
Jun 15, 2011, 01:22 AM
Yeah check out the White Paper on FCP X, basically everyone that does not have a Macbook Pro 2011 - later or 2009 Mac Pro - later... is screwed. Well not completely but somewhat, only because of the background processes this version will have. (background rendering, and such)....

So you're saying my early '08 eight core Mac Pro with a 5770 and 14 gigs of RAM will not run FCPX very well?

macjiro
Jun 15, 2011, 01:52 AM
Will FCPX require Lion?

orangerizzla
Jun 15, 2011, 02:00 AM

Great now where do I get a Thunderbolt PCI expansion card for my brand new Mac Pro Doh... :(

bigandtasty
Jun 15, 2011, 02:09 AM
CreditCard in hand, PLEASE let this be true!..... :D

2nd that!

caspersoong
Jun 15, 2011, 03:24 AM
Will the Thunderbolt Peripherals be all supporting the MiniDisplayPort or the USB shape or both, I wonder.

ariel
Jun 15, 2011, 06:47 AM
I have my 3 $100 iTunes gift cards in hand that I got for $255 at Best Buy.

Not to mention I already got a $100 Best Buy gift card so technically I'll be paying half for FCPX's already low price.

Today is a good day. :D

How'd you get the discount at Best Buy on the cards please?

templar0707
Jun 15, 2011, 07:21 AM
How'd you get the discount at Best Buy on the cards please?

They were on sale at the beginning of the week for 15% off.

handygeek
Jun 15, 2011, 09:45 AM
Will FCPX require Lion?

No - first release will only require Snow Leopard.

handygeek
Jun 15, 2011, 09:50 AM
So you're saying my early '08 eight core Mac Pro with a 5770 and 14 gigs of RAM will not run FCPX very well?

Any multi-processor, multi-core Intel system should do pretty well. Even the high end iMac should be suitable if it's maxed out. How did you get 14GB of RAM? Seems a pretty odd config.

AngryLeprechaun
Jun 15, 2011, 12:09 PM
They were on sale at the beginning of the week for 15% off.

Yep. And goes on until Saturday night.

AngryLeprechaun
Jun 15, 2011, 12:14 PM

Great now where do I get a Thunderbolt PCI expansion card for my brand new Mac Pro Doh... :(

Yeah that's what I'm saying! But I already heard its impossible because Thunderbolt comes directly from the motherboard.

Oh well. I'm still happy with my refurbished Quad Core Mac Pro. I mean professionals have been using it for years without Thunderbolt so I think I'll be okay without it for a few years.

templar0707
Jun 15, 2011, 12:29 PM
Yep. And goes on until Saturday night.

Is it still available? I can't find the sale price on the website. I put off buying them online earlier.

4God
Jun 15, 2011, 01:36 PM
Any multi-processor, multi-core Intel system should do pretty well. Even the high end iMac should be suitable if it's maxed out...

Yeah, that's what I thought. Just wondering why the other poster said what he said like my system wasn't good enough or something.

...How did you get 14GB of RAM? Seems a pretty odd config.

1 gig sticks in six slots (6Gb) and 4 gig sticks in two slots (8Gb) = 14

Big Shisha
Jun 16, 2011, 06:43 AM
For those of us in the UK, Co-op at the moment have 5 off 10 itunes gift cards. Just print this and take it in:
http://www.co-operative.coop/upload/Food/itunes%20downloads/iTunes_Web_Ad.pdf

It runs to sun(19th).

Judging by the exchange rate of the back to school promotion it means that FCX should be priced at roughly 195, but will prob be rounded up to 199.
So using the above, you can get it for 130 if my maths is correct.

Hope this helps someone

sotorious
Jun 16, 2011, 08:06 AM
Is final cut pro x available yet?

639me
Jun 16, 2011, 08:16 AM
you can get it for 130 if my maths is correct
'only one card per transaction'

Big Shisha
Jun 16, 2011, 10:02 AM
'only one card per transaction'

Yeah, but you can go into more than one store, take someone with you or go back at different times of the day.

Maybe, I'm just lucky as there is one 2mins from my office and 2 on my way home. I've been going in at lunchtime and on the way home.

It might be a pain doing it that way, but I guess it depends on where they are located and how many are near you?

raw911
Jun 17, 2011, 10:33 AM

Release the darn product already apple. Shhhhh's

4God
Jun 20, 2011, 12:58 PM

Release the darn product already apple. Shhhhh's

Ditto...anxiously awaiting too.