Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Arcadia310

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 16, 2010
I shot about 20 or so videos yesterday on a Sony Handycam DCR-SR68 and want to edit them in iMovie. When I plug the camera into my MacBook Pro it comes up as usual but when I click on the actual video file it says the file type isn't supported. The videos are MPEG. Is there a free way I can convert these into the file type necessary to edit them in iMovie? Thanks for any help.

Mac Junkie

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2011
Barrie, ON Canada
Convert video from Sony Camcorder

I don't know if this is the most efficient way to do things but I copy the video files to my desktop (camera shows up like an external hard drive) convert the files to DV using the free mpeg streamclip although you do need to have the $20 mpeg 2 plug in or pay a little more for Quicktime Pro. Don't know what will happen to this software with Lion. If you go this route, don't be concerned with the lack of audio when previewing the clips. It shows up when the file is saved or converted (been too long, can't remember which.) As you probably know, DV is fine for imovie.

Last edited:

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
I have had to import the movies into my computer from my camera. Once they are saved into the computer, then I import them into IMovie for editing.

Here is some info from Apple concerning video formats.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TA22875

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2264
This post is a complete and total waste of time. The Sony Handycam® DCR-SR68 records in 720x480 MPEG-2, not a DV format and not a HD format. The combination of MPEG Streamclip and Apple's MPEG-2 Playback Component may handle the video files from this camcorder. Before springing for the license fee, I suggest downloading and installing the E. M. Total Video Converter for Mac. It supports a variety of formats and in functional before you pay the fee.

Soura2112

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2008
Not much help

Well I have been in a similar boat with my Sony 560v and final cut express. I'm patiently waiting for final cut X.
I need to use iMovie to get the video to final cut, like many of you I dislike the current iMovie, and the previous one.
As Sony being one if the biggest selling cameras one would think they would work properly with Apple products. Sure there competitive in other fields but Apple does not sell video cameras, so make this easy on use, like the FireWire days.
Apples video programs should all be updated for Sony cams and all the big name companies. Making editing fun again, not a pain.
I have been waiting to get Final Cut Pro since I got my new Mac Pro, just didn't want to buy FC7 because I knew a new version would be out and wanted to save money... It's June Apple, let's get some info... I keep saying this since June started but were mid June, so how much can companies steal in the next 2 weeks, assuming their still sticking with the June release.
Everything in FCX looks like it will make our problems go away. I understand not everyone wants to buy this program and iMovie should work. Sorry my reply doesn't help, but everyone else stated what you can do, I'm just loosing this patience waiting for FCX and Apple problems with Sony.

Siroky25

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I have a Sony handycam avchd HDR-cx110. I just had a new kiddo and **** a bunch of video and plugged in to my MacBook pro. It recognizes it on the desktop but will not at all recognize any video I have on there. Please someone help, I have fMily down and need this to work. I was always told, that macs are the BEST for pics and vids but I am getting very frustrated, I could plug this into my Dellaptop and works flawless! Thanks for all replies!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.