PDA

View Full Version : Domino's Pizza App Delivers Pizza Not Everyone May Like

MacRumors
Jun 14, 2011, 04:35 PM
http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/14/dominos-pizza-app-delivers-hand-tossed-perfection/)

Domino's Pizza's new iOS app (http://appshopper.com/blog/2011/06/14/dominos-pizza-joins-pizza-hut-others-in-app-store/) lets users order and pay for piping hot pies right from their iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch.

http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/06/pizza.jpg

The app allows Domino's customers (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/dominos-pizza-llc/id436491861?mt=8) to order from (almost) any of the 5,000 Domino's in the U.S., allowing extensive pizza customization, and even allows users to input their credit or debit card information right in the app. Finally, while you anxiously await your custom creation, the app offers a Tracker feature to follow your order from the "make line" into the oven, then out for delivery!

The feature is similar to the online-ordering system Domino's has offered through its website for a few years, but is long overdue on the iPhone. Major competitor Pizza Hut offered an app (http://appshopper.com/lifestyle/ihut) nearly two years ago, in 2009.

Article Link: Domino's Pizza App Delivers Pizza (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/14/dominos-pizza-app-delivers-hand-tossed-perfection/)

kjjnk
Jun 14, 2011, 04:38 PM
Hand-Tossed Perfection? Lol, Domino's is garbage.

Slix
Jun 14, 2011, 04:39 PM
Why is this on Macrumors? :confused:

tablo13
Jun 14, 2011, 04:40 PM

"Hand-Tossed Perfection"... I smell a sponsored article...

chrmjenkins
Jun 14, 2011, 04:40 PM

It's the new author's style. He tries to write in a more blog type style, but it comes out sounding like a huge ad for domino's.

rdowns
Jun 14, 2011, 04:41 PM

Plus one.

In other news,, a new fart application was released today.

Schtumple
Jun 14, 2011, 04:42 PM

It's the iOS blog, not the main page...

robbieduncan
Jun 14, 2011, 04:45 PM
I hope Domino's paid a lot for this. Their "pizza" is absolute junk. I don't even consider it pizza it's that bad.

brianjw
Papa Johns pizza has had an app for at least 6 months now, regardless, this is that type of news that nobody seems to care about.

mikey2004
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8J2)

This app has been out in the UK for about a year now

Sounds Good
Jun 14, 2011, 04:47 PM
Hand-Tossed Perfection
It might be Hand-Tossed, but ...

ninjadex
Jun 14, 2011, 05:02 PM
Dominos is so bad that they leave flyers around our neighborhood for free pizzas, no strings attached. How they stay in business is becoming one of the greatest enigmas of our time.

Macrumors, is this paid advertising posing as news? Serious question.

jlgolson
Jun 14, 2011, 05:05 PM
My original headline was "Domino's Pizza App Let's Users Order Pizza From Participating Restaurants In The United States Only, Delivery Unavailable In Certain Areas, Prices May Be Higher in Hawaii, Alaska and Puerto Rico" but that didn't have the same ring to it.

appleguy123
Jun 14, 2011, 05:05 PM
How does this comply with Apple's regulations for in-app purchases?

jlgolson
Jun 14, 2011, 05:06 PM
How does this comply with Apple's regulations for in-app purchases?It's a physical product, so it skirts around it entirely.

Users manually enter their credit card numbers, bypassing the app store entirely.

Fraaaa
Jun 14, 2011, 05:07 PM
The UK one has been here for a while, and it takes less than when I actually go order in the shop, which is behind the corner.

Beside Domino's pizza is not that bad, but nothing like italian pizza.

Doctor Q
Jun 14, 2011, 05:08 PM
I'm still waiting for PizzaPrint. :p

ben.errol
Jun 14, 2011, 05:09 PM
I fail to see how this is newsworthy, let alone interesting!

On a side note, Domino's really is pitiful.

jlgolson
Jun 14, 2011, 05:13 PM
"Hand-Tossed Perfection"... I smell a sponsored article...
So cynical!

mdignen
Jun 14, 2011, 05:16 PM
This is a really well made App, it does indeed deserve to be highlighted and it is news. It stands out from the other Pizza apps due to it's ''tracking'' feature and the ability to pay in advance. Also, keep in mind that this isn't the front page, they often highlight interesting applications and only because this one sells a physical product do people go crazy screaming sponsored sponsored! Last, you all say sponsored like it's a bad thing - Whatever keeps this site going is fine by me, but I doubt that's whats going on here. Believe it or not, some people still like to pass on good information just because they care that others are informed as well.

Flowbee
Jun 14, 2011, 05:18 PM
A better title might have been "Domino's Pizza delivers app for people too stoned to know any better."

IzzyJG99
Jun 14, 2011, 05:18 PM
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-uiNVH6RZaRM/TffdiEJ64XI/AAAAAAAAAjk/WjVcHT5gOWU/s800/Lawl.jpg

Marketing fail? I think you think it is, yes.

chrmjenkins
Jun 14, 2011, 05:19 PM
My original headline was "Domino's Pizza App Let's Users Order Pizza From Participating Restaurants In The United States Only, Delivery Unavailable In Certain Areas, Prices May Be Higher in Hawaii, Alaska and Puerto Rico" but that didn't have the same ring to it.

http://i.imgur.com/eQMU1.gif

Phil A.
Jun 14, 2011, 05:21 PM
Why has the article title been changed to a far less complimentary "Domino's Pizza App delivers Pizza not everyone may like"?

Someone being doing some editorial comment on here? ;)

jlgolson
Jun 14, 2011, 05:22 PM
Also, keep in mind that this isn't the front page, they often highlight interesting applications and only because this one sells a physical product do people go crazy screaming sponsored sponsored!
MacRumors is actually working on a limited patent cross-licensing deal with Domino's Pizza where we will get 1% of all pizza deliveries through the app in perpetuity, or one slice of pepperoni, whichever is higher.

/kidding!

ArtOfWarfare
Jun 14, 2011, 05:30 PM
I for one, actually enjoy Dominoes and am actually glad to hear that this app is now available for the iPhone.

I still disapprove of the author's style. A proper title for this would be "Domino's Pizza Ordering App Now Available" or something along those lines... completely neutral and just telling me the facts as they are.

skellener
Jun 14, 2011, 05:31 PM
Now if you could just plug-in a good local pizza place instead of Domino's crap it would be awesome!

stozball
Jun 14, 2011, 05:38 PM
Australia has had a Dominos ordering app for iOS for over a year already. I'm surprised how much longer it took to end up in the US.

jlgolson
Jun 14, 2011, 05:44 PM
All of you people complaining about how awful Domino's is...

...when was the last time you tried a Domino's pizza? Because since they redid it and ran that terrific ad campaign, it's actually quite delicious.

Also, I know it's trendy and all to hate on the big corporations stomping on the little guy... Domino's... Wal-Mart... McDonald's... and all the rest, here's a news flash for you:

Apple stomps on the little guy too.

DeaconGraves
Jun 14, 2011, 05:46 PM
All of you people complaining about how awful Domino's is...

...when was the last time you tried a Domino's pizza? Because since they redid it and ran that terrific ad campaign, it's actually quite delicious.

Disagree. Is it better than before? Yes. But it's still not that good.

spillproof
Jun 14, 2011, 05:54 PM
The old Domino's was better- before they changed their recipe.

But this is a weird article for MR.

hexonxonx
Jun 14, 2011, 05:59 PM
You aren't missing anything....at least anything healthy to eat.

Most of the big chains use dough that comes in frozen disks. At Pizza Hut, it is placed in pans that are sprayed with either oil or non stick spray and then placed in the walk in for so many hours till it is thawed. After it is thawed, it looks more like dough should look like. Being that it is frozen, this is the reason why the store is often sold out of a certain crust style when you call. It takes time to thaw. It stopped being made from a mix years ago. You will not find a big floor mixer any longer in any PH.

It is then sauced and cheesed hours ahead of when it is sold for an order. This is how they can make so many during dinner rushes. Most of the veggies and toppings are from a can or sealed bag just like the lettuce you eat in most restaurants today. Even the mushrooms come pre-sliced in cardboard boxes.

Papa Johns gets dough trucked in from their "factory". I don't think there is a pizza chain around anywhere that makes it's own dough in store now.

Pasta at PH is also all prepackaged garb. The pasta is frozen and ran under water for a few minutes to thaw. The sauce is also prepackaged and simply mixed with water and poured over the pasta and baked.

Enjoy that pizza!:eek:

einmusiker
Jun 14, 2011, 05:59 PM
Image (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/14/dominos-pizza-app-delivers-hand-tossed-perfection/)
I dont get the title?

Domino's Pizza's new iOS app (http://appshopper.com/blog/2011/06/14/dominos-pizza-joins-pizza-hut-others-in-app-store/) lets users order and pay for piping hot pies right from their iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch.

Image (http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/06/pizza.jpg)

The app allows Domino's customers (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/dominos-pizza-llc/id436491861?mt=8) to order from (almost) any of the 5,000 Domino's in the U.S., allowing extensive pizza customization, and even allows users to input their credit or debit card information right in the app. Finally, while you anxiously await your custom creation, the app offers a Tracker feature to follow your order from the "make line" into the oven, then out for delivery!

The feature is similar to the online-ordering system Domino's has offered through its website for a few years, but is long overdue on the iPhone. Major competitor Pizza Hut offered an app (http://appshopper.com/lifestyle/ihut) nearly two years ago, in 2009.

Article Link: Domino's Pizza App Delivers Pizza (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/14/dominos-pizza-app-delivers-hand-tossed-perfection/)

I dont get the title?

Whens the last time youve had one? They have greatly improved. Is not grimaldis in nyc but its a decent cheap zaa
Because its an ios app?

Cheerwino
Jun 14, 2011, 06:03 PM
Geez, Domino's is fine. Since they redid it, it's now as good as Papa John's. No pizza in a box delivered to your door an hour after you are starving is gonna be as good as a Johns or Rays served at your table in Greenwich Village, so get off your high horse and enjoy.

If Domino's isn't good enough, you aren't drinking enough beer.

Glad to hear they have an app. I'll download it and try it out.

yg17
Jun 14, 2011, 06:05 PM
Dominos is crap. Old recipe. Crap. New recipe. Just as crap.

I could have a better tasting meal, and probably a more nutritious meal by putting some sauce, cheese and pepperoni on the box their crap comes in and putting it in the oven for 20 minutes and eating that.

frunkis54
Jun 14, 2011, 06:24 PM
Just downloaded mine crashes when you choose carryout on ios5 :(

Brien
Jun 14, 2011, 06:30 PM
:D at the new title. Nice one!

batchtaster
Jun 14, 2011, 10:10 PM
Also, I know it's trendy and all to hate on the big corporations stomping on the little guy... Domino's... Wal-Mart... McDonald's... and all the rest, here's a news flash for you:

Apple stomps on the little guy too.

That's trendy too.

cameronjpu
Jun 14, 2011, 10:17 PM
What trash. Can you at least try to disguise your paid "news" story?

na1577
Jun 14, 2011, 10:20 PM
Why is the article title written like that?

wetrix
Jun 14, 2011, 10:45 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

This app has been in the New Zealand app store since the start of the year but it has about 40 one star reviews and an average of two stars for the current version. You'd think they'd sort out the complaints before rolling it out across the US.

Tilpots
Jun 14, 2011, 10:47 PM
Plus one.

In other news,, a new fart application was released today.

Said fart app was then given a write up on MR. Posters soon debated the authenticity of the sounds emenating from the app and whether or not MR officially endorsed "the mistake" sound effect. Author of article then chimed in to claim the sfx in question was recorded, not generated and that he had first hand knowledge of the facts.

godslabrat
Jun 14, 2011, 10:52 PM
This really strikes me as being "an app for the sake of an app." How is ordering Domino's from your app appreciably different than calling them up and ordering? Either way, you still need to tell them what you want, where you are, and what your CC number is.

I tend to not use apps that simply re-create functionality already existing in the phone.

Cheerwino
Jun 14, 2011, 10:56 PM
Changed my mind. This is stupid.

App would be much better with 3D Retina Display

notjustjay
Jun 14, 2011, 11:40 PM
Canada has a similar app for Pizza Pizza. It's not the best tasting pizza around, no, but the app is very convenient. It shows you all the current specials and you can lay out your pizzas exactly the way you like it (right down to specifying that you only want onions on one half of the pizza, but mushrooms on the other half!) Then you submit your order through the app and await its delivery.

Vundu
Jun 15, 2011, 02:27 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8J2)

This app has been out in the UK for about a year now

It has and it is still garbage. Says they don't deliver to my postcode yet my local dominos delivers all the time when I phone them up.

Reported the bug for months then finally gave up.

deannnnn
Jun 15, 2011, 02:33 AM
Papa Johns > Dominos > Pizza Hut
...imo.

But if you're ever in New York, try Numero 28 or Posto (insanely overpriced, but delicious).

I like pizza, so obviously I like coming here to pizzarumors.com to talk about it.

caspersoong
Jun 15, 2011, 03:08 AM
Wonder when it will be coming to other countries... Even though I prefer Pizza Hut.

phalseHUD
Jun 15, 2011, 03:54 AM
I have to wonder why this is on MR?!! But anyway, since I'm here I might as well chime in.

Domino's are a total rip off. I've had friends order them when I've been around at their house and find them to be totally the opposite of what a pizza should actually be (at least for me). They don't taste that good, and the last few times I had them they gave me a real dodgy gut in the morning, and no there was no chilli or beer involved.

I make my own pizza faster than it can be delivered using this (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/food/article-1316918/Jamie-Olivers-30-minute-meals-Cheats-pizza-delish-salads-squashed-cherries-vanilla-mascarpone-cream.html) simple quick recipe. Don't be afraid to be adventurous with your toppings and don't forget it's not all about loading it up with cheese! For those who can't be bothered with the clart on, get yourself to your local supermarket for a cheap, tasty alternative to Domino's. My local Sainsbury's does a 14" thin and crispy pizza at the pizza counter for only 3.49 including toppings. They taste better than Domino's and are much much kinder on your wallet/purse! Other supermarkets like ASDA (part of Walmart) do them too and they taste OK but in my experience Sainsbury's are the nicest.

LOL! What a weird post for MR!!!

Music_Producer
Jun 15, 2011, 04:02 AM
You aren't missing anything....at least anything healthy to eat.

Most of the big chains use dough that comes in frozen disks. At Pizza Hut, it is placed in pans that are sprayed with either oil or non stick spray and then placed in the walk in for so many hours till it is thawed. After it is thawed, it looks more like dough should look like. Being that it is frozen, this is the reason why the store is often sold out of a certain crust style when you call. It takes time to thaw. It stopped being made from a mix years ago. You will not find a big floor mixer any longer in any PH.

It is then sauced and cheesed hours ahead of when it is sold for an order. This is how they can make so many during dinner rushes. Most of the veggies and toppings are from a can or sealed bag just like the lettuce you eat in most restaurants today. Even the mushrooms come pre-sliced in cardboard boxes.

Papa Johns gets dough trucked in from their "factory". I don't think there is a pizza chain around anywhere that makes it's own dough in store now.

Pasta at PH is also all prepackaged garb. The pasta is frozen and ran under water for a few minutes to thaw. The sauce is also prepackaged and simply mixed with water and poured over the pasta and baked.

Enjoy that pizza!:eek:

Thanks for that, you might not be aware that they sell their pizzas for $7-$10.. not $20 like some 'organic' and fresh ingredient pizza places. I don't know why so many people are bashing Dominos.. they're good for the occasional pizza. Sorry that some of us don't hunt our own meat, grow our own vegetables and spices in the backyard..geez.. so many food critics here.

Lesser Evets
Jun 15, 2011, 04:16 AM
I've had pizza all over America and Europe and some in several Asian countries, and Dominoes isn't so bad. Sure there is better, but how many of you always eat the best? So shut up. It's a good app for junk-hogs and partiers. Innovative stuff to make business more convenient.

For the past five years I've made my own pizzas at home. They beat all your haughty pizzas. Try it sometime: takes you only 20 mins of prep time from raw materials to jamming it in the oven. You can also experiment with all the spices and flavors. It also avoids weird chemicals and preservatives jammed into mass-consumed foods, and the cost is under 1/3 of what Dominoes/PeeHut/PlopperJohn asks.

yourstation
Jun 15, 2011, 04:51 AM

Wow, the UK has had this quite some time now...

captainhair
Jun 15, 2011, 05:29 AM
Have had this in Australia for over a year now...comes in handy

room237
Jun 15, 2011, 05:37 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Want diarrhea? There's an app for that.

joemod
Jun 15, 2011, 05:40 AM
I've had pizza all over America and Europe and some in several Asian countries, and Dominoes isn't so bad. Sure there is better, but how many of you always eat the best? So shut up. It's a good app for junk-hogs and partiers. Innovative stuff to make business more convenient.

For the past five years I've made my own pizzas at home. They beat all your haughty pizzas. Try it sometime: takes you only 20 mins of prep time from raw materials to jamming it in the oven. You can also experiment with all the spices and flavors. It also avoids weird chemicals and preservatives jammed into mass-consumed foods, and the cost is under 1/3 of what Dominoes/PeeHut/PlopperJohn asks.
Can you write down then the recipee ? :)

ratzzo
Jun 15, 2011, 05:42 AM
When Domino's started announcing chicken-tomato pizzas... that day was it.

mw360
Jun 15, 2011, 06:57 AM
Nobody's made a snide "30%" remark yet? :confused:

mms13
Jun 15, 2011, 07:20 AM
I like Domino's...it's pizza baby, it's all good! But seriously, have you had the new recipe? It's really good.

Reason077
Jun 15, 2011, 08:14 AM
pay for piping hot pies right from their iPhone...

Note for Americans

A Pizza (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pizza) is not the same thing as a Pie (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pie)

Unless, of course, your talking about Calzone (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calzone), which is arguably a Pie-like Pizza, or Pizza-like Pie.

NebulaClash
Jun 15, 2011, 08:26 AM
Things I have learned from online comments:

1. Dominos pizza is awful.
2. Papa John's pizza is awful.
3. Pizza Hut pizza is awful.

Well, I have news for you all: There is no such thing as awful pizza. The worst pizza on earth is still pretty good. You can eat pizza hot, you can eat pizza cold, you can eat pizza with stupid toppings, you can eat pizza you find in the dorm couch.

I was once in a pizzeria in a small town, and as I ate the slice I thought to myself, "this is the worst pizza I've ever had." My next thought was, "not bad."

Get over yourselves, food snobs. It's wheat, cheese, tomatoes. There's a limit to just how badly you can screw that up.

ghostlyorb
Jun 15, 2011, 08:48 AM
Why is the article title written like that?

it was changed because so many people complained.. which the only people that complain are the people who don't like Dominos. I don't mind their pizza. Yes, it's cheaper for me to go get a Digorno at Bloom.. but sometimes it's good for a change...

notjustjay
Jun 15, 2011, 09:22 AM
This really strikes me as being "an app for the sake of an app." How is ordering Domino's from your app appreciably different than calling them up and ordering? Either way, you still need to tell them what you want, where you are, and what your CC number is.

I tend to not use apps that simply re-create functionality already existing in the phone.

Eh? It's online ordering, but for pizza. Following your logic, we might as well remove any kind of online ordering app, since you can always pick up the phone.

Now I haven't seen the Domino's app, but I really like the Pizza Pizza app I mentioned earlier. I think it's pretty convenient to be able to view all the current specials in-hand, as well as being able to see all of the different choices for crusts, sauces, dips, etc. I'm sure the guy at the other end of the phone is also glad for the reduction in people asking "So what are all your specials? Wait, say that one again? OK, now what are all the different toppings I can have? Oops, repeat that please? OK, now what are the different sauces I could choose?" You just go click-click-click, send, done.

tombilske
Jun 15, 2011, 10:34 AM
Dominos Australia has had a similar app out for a long time...

johncarync
Jun 15, 2011, 10:44 AM
I'll wait for version 2.0 before I download it. In version 2, the tracker feature will include pics taken at each step of the process and a link to Google Maps with the drivers location. Your phone will also make a "ding dong" sound when the driver pulls up to your door.:)

justinfreid
Jun 15, 2011, 12:00 PM
Does Apple get 30% of the pizza revenue and the delivery guy's tip?

SockRolid
Jun 15, 2011, 12:06 PM
Domino's logo contains blue so you can differentiate the box from the pizza itself. It's a safety thing.

Bear
Jun 15, 2011, 12:22 PM
The UK one has been here for a while, and it takes less than when I actually go order in the shop, which is behind the corner.

Beside Domino's pizza is not that bad, but nothing like italian pizza.Chains vary in food quality from location to location, especially between different countries.

Try a Domino's near a college in the US. Especially when it's the only delivery option. On second thought, you don't want to do that.

captainhair
Jun 15, 2011, 04:08 PM

:) iwouldnt put it past them

Baf5289
Jun 15, 2011, 04:26 PM
Don't listen to them jordan!! Team golson!!!1

bondiblueos9
Jun 15, 2011, 06:09 PM
Why does this need iOS 4.0? What if I only have iOS 3.1.3?

mw360
Jun 16, 2011, 03:43 AM
Nobody's made a snide "30%" remark yet? :confused:

First rule of comedy: Timing.
;)

justinfreid
Jun 16, 2011, 10:01 AM
First rule of comedy: Timing.
;)

You're right...you got me!
I skimmed the thread before posting but missed you're remark.
If I'd seen it, I would have replied.