PDA

View Full Version : More Evidence for 2048x1536 iPad Retina Display

MacRumors
Jun 14, 2011, 06:55 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/14/more-evidence-for-2048x1536-ipad-retina-display/)

More evidence has emerged to suggest that a future version of the iPad will sport a "Retina" display with a resolution of 2048x1536, or double the horizontal and vertical pixels of the current iPad.

Back in January, a number of images were discovered (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/01/15/ipad-2-screen-likely-to-have-2048x1536-resolution/) within iPad apps showing icons twice the size needed for the 1024x768 screen on the iPad. This suggested a similar pixel-doubling strategy to that used in the iPhone 4's Retina Display. That particular feature wasn't included in the iPad 2, but perhaps will be in the iPad 3.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/06/Resolution-Comparison-500x208.png

New clues regarding a possible 2048x1536 iPad display were reported today by Techunwrapped. Their tipster noticed the Twitter.framework within the iOS SDK had huge images (http://techunwrapped.com/2011/06/14/ios-5-reveals-ipad-3-to-have-retina-display/), twice the size needed for the current iPad:
As I was going through the iOS SDK I came across some images in the new Twitter .framework. The resolution appears to be 1,536 x 2,048.

The Twitter.framework is the only framework I found to have these enormous images.Techunwrapped goes on to suggest that because the large images were only included in the Twitter section of the iOS SDK -- a relatively new part of the iOS codebase -- it means an iPad 3 will come out in the same timeframe as iOS 5 is released.

Based on the discovery of pixel-doubled iPad images as far back as January (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/01/15/ipad-2-screen-likely-to-have-2048x1536-resolution/), we are hesitant to attach any significant timeline to these discoveries, but they are simply more signs that Apple plans to release a Retina Display-equipped iPad.

Article Link: More Evidence for 2048x1536 iPad Retina Display (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/14/more-evidence-for-2048x1536-ipad-retina-display/)

r2fa3l
Jun 14, 2011, 06:58 PM
that's for the iPhone 5 ;)

*sarcasm*

Kentochan
Jun 14, 2011, 06:59 PM
If Apple release a Retina iPad for the current $500/16GB, I'm sold!! Keep the rumors coming :D

DavidLeblond
Jun 14, 2011, 07:00 PM
Techunwrapped goes on to suggest that because the large images were only included in the Twitter section of the iOS SDK -- a relatively new part of the iOS codebase -- it means an iPad 3 will come out in the same timeframe as iOS 5 is released.

So the iPad 3 will come out around iOS 5 with Retina display Twitter functionality and normal everything else? How does THAT make any sense?

fkhan3
Jun 14, 2011, 07:01 PM
it means an iPad 3 will come out in the same timeframe as iOS 5 is released.

Maybe it will be the "one more thing" during September's iPhone/iPod event :D

STOCK411
Jun 14, 2011, 07:02 PM
so should i buy an ipad, or will one be coming out by the end of this or next month according to this

MythicFrost
Jun 14, 2011, 07:02 PM
Haha, I knew it :cool:

iLilana
Jun 14, 2011, 07:03 PM
i just watched a video with a retrofitted 3d disply on an ipad. wonder if that has something to do with it.

boss.king
Jun 14, 2011, 07:04 PM
That resolution is higher than my laptop. It better have some decent hardware with a display like that

lewis82
Jun 14, 2011, 07:04 PM
So I guess I was right after all, we'll definitely see a Retina iPad :cool:

(Now I just need to justify spending my student loans on an iPad 3 :o)

WiiDSmoker
Jun 14, 2011, 07:05 PM
The resolution should make the Cinema Display come down on the price then too right?

lewis82
Jun 14, 2011, 07:07 PM
The resolution should make the Cinema Display come down on the price then too right?

Not necessarily, if the amount of panels made is not high enough, the price won't go down.

On the other hand, iPads sell by millions.

QuarterSwede
Jun 14, 2011, 07:08 PM
If Apple release a Retina iPad for the current $500/16GB, I'm sold!! Keep the rumors coming :D
Same. That's what I was waiting for.

ECUpirate44
Jun 14, 2011, 07:09 PM
Just bought an iPad, and i'm going to enjoy it. There is no economical way to keep up with technology especially at Apple's rate.

STOCK411
Jun 14, 2011, 07:09 PM
Not necessarily, if the amount of panels made is not high enough, the price won't go down.

On the other hand, iPads sell by millions.

so should i get an ipad now? or will one be released end of this/next month?

CLWelch
Jun 14, 2011, 07:11 PM
The article says, "a similar pixel-doubling strategy." That should be "pixel-quadrupling."

QuarterSwede
Jun 14, 2011, 07:12 PM
I highly doubt it'll be released this year. Stranger things have happened though. If you're ready to buy then buy. If you really want a higher res screen then wait.

ECUpirate44
Jun 14, 2011, 07:12 PM

Steve stood right next to this when the iPad 2 was launched. No iPad 3 until 2012.

FoxHoundADAM
Jun 14, 2011, 07:13 PM
Makes sense being that I just bought an iPad 2 today.

Although honestly retina display is really not that big of a selling feature for me personally.

FoxHoundADAM
Jun 14, 2011, 07:14 PM
I highly doubt it'll be released this year. Stranger things have happened though. If you're ready to buy then buy. If you really want a higher res screen then wait.

Especially considering it is still difficult to track down iPads in stores even now. It would almost be silly for Apple to refresh the iPad this year from a business perspective.

reactions
Jun 14, 2011, 07:14 PM
Steve stood right next to this when the iPad 2 was launched. No iPad 3 until 2012.

he can just add a new slide that has an X through it with a 3 on top :eek:

really - if that's the case i'm going to be scrambling to unload my new ipad 2 :D

imagine this

ipad 2 - starts at $399 and the ipad 2 HD at $499

oghowie
Jun 14, 2011, 07:15 PM

So the iPad 3 will come out around iOS 5 with Retina display Twitter functionality and normal everything else? How does THAT make any sense?

Yeah, it doesn't make sense at all.

There is simply no need for a iPad 3 this year. No Honeycomb tablet has trumped the iPad 2. The new Samsung Tab is very close but Apple can definitely wait till next year to release the iPad 3.

toddybody
Jun 14, 2011, 07:16 PM
Apple, "If you build it, I will come"

Menopause
Jun 14, 2011, 07:17 PM

Agree. They're producing iPad 2's at full speed now and it's extremely high in demand.

rick98761
Jun 14, 2011, 07:17 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/534.32 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

They are probably just making all new assets high res. Less to go back and rework when they are ready. Not sure how this means it will come out alongside ios5.

Redline13
Jun 14, 2011, 07:18 PM

Where in the original article does it speculate that those will be the only changes? It doesn't.

cirus
Jun 14, 2011, 07:19 PM
If this is true it will be sad if they don't raise the resolutions on their other offerings. I'm looking at you Macbook Pro 13"!

iScott428
As pointed out previously twitter would be the only app to have these retina images.

Also it would make sense that because of the deep twitter integration in iOS 5 the guys over at twitter would be clued in on some future specs, and figure that since they know they will be needed in the future, they might as well be included now to prevent more work when the time comes.

Some one please tell me how you can link retina twitter images to an imminent iPad 3 launch with iOS 5?? All suppliers say there is no iPad 3 coming as they would be ramping production next month...plus who really believes we will have a retina iPad 3 in September when we can't even be sure what network (3G,4g) the iPhone 4s will have!! Logic.

Eric5h5
The article says, "a similar pixel-doubling strategy." That should be "pixel-quadrupling."

Technically, yes, however "pixel-doubling" is a phrase used for many years to describe this sort of thing.

--Eric

ten-oak-druid
Jun 14, 2011, 07:21 PM
This is good news for ipad users.

Personally I prefer E-ink and I like my Kindle. I can't wait for color E-ink to go mainstream.

The ipad is great but I can't get every toy I like.

lewis82
Jun 14, 2011, 07:21 PM

I'm no expert, so don't take my word for the absolute truth, but I am pretty sure it won't be released this year.

tonyshucraft
Jun 14, 2011, 07:22 PM
Wouldn't it be better for them to release it in November or December. I just think that may be too close together between releases. At least this would allow them to release iPad 4 in September and not have a lengthy wait.

Hell, January might even be best.

iScott428
Where in the original article does it speculate that those will be the only changes? It doesn't.

The Twitter.framework is the only framework I found to have these enormous images.

It says it right in quotes...

lazyrighteye

Steve's stood next to (and said) all sorts of things that later proved misleading (to put it mildly). ;)

Especially considering it is still difficult to track down iPads in stores even now. It would almost be silly for Apple to refresh the iPad this year from a business perspective.

Agreed. Why revise a product whose demand is still sky high? Plus, the current product release cycle, across all things Apple, has something upgrading in every quarter. Seems like smart business to me. Thus, I would be incredibly surprised to see another iPad this year. But if they do, I'll finally (and happily) place a toe in the iPad water. :D

boss.king
Jun 14, 2011, 07:24 PM

I think this refers to doubling the number of vertical and horizontal pixels. Technically, you are correct but this is just the term that's most widely accepted.

Yankee617
Jun 14, 2011, 07:26 PM
No iPad 3 until 2012.

I fully agree. The iPad 3 will be awesome, and scarce, but we'll have to wait until next Spring. I'm guessing we'll see a "World" iPad that, in addition to sporting a retina display, also supports LTE and provides high-quality cameras (similar to the cameras on the iPhone)... the top-end model will offer 128 GB storage, but I suspect we'll see no change to the A5 CPU or 512 MB of DRAM.

I'm still getting used to my iPad 2, but I definitely want to buy this fully-loaded iPad 3. After it arrives I'll give my 32 GB, Wi-Fi only iPad 2 to a needy friend.

ECUpirate44
Jun 14, 2011, 07:26 PM
he can just add a new slide that has an X through it with a 3 on top :eek:

lol. It doesn't work that way.

reactions
Jun 14, 2011, 07:31 PM
Apple, "If you build it, I will come"

i'm a little confused are we talking about 'jaculate?

the ipad 2 is selling so well i'm missing the incentive where they need to release the HD version.

lazyrighteye
Jun 14, 2011, 07:32 PM
I'm still getting used to my iPad 2, but I definitely want to buy this fully-loaded iPad 3. After it arrives I'll give my 32 GB, Wi-Fi only iPad 2 to a needy friend.

Hi there. I'm needy. Let's be friends. :D

cirus
Jun 14, 2011, 07:33 PM
The "ipad" still sounds like a feminine product.

DaMacMan61
Jun 14, 2011, 07:34 PM
Perhaps instead of an iPad 3, Apple will release an iPad HD with IOS 5, keeping both iPads at different price points?

neuropulse
Jun 14, 2011, 07:34 PM
That is four times the size not two! Duh!

gorskiegangsta
Jun 14, 2011, 07:37 PM
Can people just stop and think of the practicality (or lack thereof) of 1536x2048 display on something like the iPad before even considering the possibility of such thing.

The obvious benefit is crisper display and text, and thus much better content-viewing/reading experience.

The drawbacks are:
Higher manufacturing price (and thus potentially more expensive retail price)
Apps will be much larger in size (and with some games already hitting 1gb in size, we can potentially see 4gb apps on a device which only has between 16gb and 64gb of storage)
The device will have to quadruple the amount of RAM (from 512mb to potentially 2gb) to still be able to run smoothly.
The higher res images will tax iPad's graphics more and, potentially, decrease battery life.

Lesser Evets
Jun 14, 2011, 07:40 PM
If iPad 3 (or, the retina iPad, since perhaps the next iPad revision will do nothing more than have a better screen resolution; A6 won't come out until next year at earliest) comes out late summer 2011 with the iPod and iPhones, it would be a swift and decisive strike against the other tablets emerging on the market.

Face it: A5 + "Retina" display + $499 would kill other pads in an instant. Even a finger hold HP would hope to gain would be obliterated.

WiiDSmoker
Jun 14, 2011, 07:42 PM
Can people just stop and think of the practicality (or lack thereof) of 1536x2048 display on something like the iPad before even considering the possibility of such thing.

The obvious benefit is crisper display and text, and thus much better content-viewing/reading experience.

The drawbacks are:
Apps will be much larger in size (and with some games already hitting 1gb in size, we can potentially see 4gb apps on a device which only has between 16gb and 64gb of storage)
The device will have to quadruple the amount of RAM (from 512mb to potentially 2gb) to still be able to run smoothly.
The higher res images will tax iPad's graphics more and, potentially, decrease battery life.

Yes but if we all thought this way we would still be in the stone age.

gorskiegangsta
Jun 14, 2011, 07:43 PM
That is four times the size not two! Duh!

Four times the size?? The size of each individual pixel will actually have to decrease to 1/4 the size of a current pixel to be able to accomodate 1536x2048 in a 9.7in display

It is 4x the amount of pixels. The size of the display is likely to stay the same at 9.7in.

gooddog
Jun 14, 2011, 07:44 PM
I just got the 2 and love it. But the sub-Meg pixel camera kinda sucks for snapping hi-res pics of students' papers and other documents, as I walk around the classroom. If they up the cam, then I guess I'll be selling my 2 in a few months!

It's Verizon at max config with cell.

Elijahg
Unless Apple somehow includes a hex or octo-core GPU, there's no way an iPad with a 2048*1536 display would have the same or better graphics performance as the iPad 2. iPad 2 has 786,432 pixels, a retina display iPad would have 3,145,728 pixels.

The graphics hardware would need to be 4 times as powerful as it is now for the same performance. Even traditional desktop/laptop GPUs from Nvidia and ATI are a little stretched at that kind of resolution, so I wouldn't think we'll be seeing a retina iPad for a few years yet. Even if Apple did manage to cram another 6 GPU cores into the iPad, it'd play havoc with the battery life.

JackAxe
The screen needs to be 300 ppi or higher to earn the badge of tEh Retina. Doubling a newer iPad's screen rez -- if it remains the same physical size -- falls short of that of that number.

So we can call it, tEh almost Retina display.

Yamcha
I'm not so sure this is possible, running applications is not an issue at that resolution, but if there is gaming at that native resolution then it cannot be done..

However I'm beginning to think actual games won't run at 2048x1536, they will probably run at a much lower resolution, but you still get the retina display..

Hey if they can make it possible then great, but I don't know how they plan to do it, especially at that price point..

eagandale4114
Jun 14, 2011, 07:45 PM
If iPad 3 (or, the retina iPad, since perhaps the next iPad revision will do nothing more than have a better screen resolution; A6 won't come out until next year at earliest) comes out late summer 2011 with the iPod and iPhones, it would be a swift and decisive strike against the other tablets emerging on the market.

Face it: A5 + "Retina" display + $499 would kill other pads in an instant. Even a finger hold HP would hope to gain would be obliterated.

Why nit an A6.

Yamcha
Jun 14, 2011, 07:45 PM
Unless Apple somehow includes a hex or octo-core GPU, there's no way an iPad with a 2048*1536 display would have the same or better graphics performance as the iPad 2. iPad 2 has 786,432 pixels, a retina display iPad would have 3,145,728 pixels.

The graphics hardware would need to be 4 times as powerful as it is now for the same performance. Even traditional desktop/laptop GPUs from Nvidia and ATI are a little stretched at that kind of resolution, so I wouldn't think we'll be seeing a retina iPad for a few years yet. Even if Apple did manage to cram another 6 GPU cores into the iPad, it'd play havoc with the battery life.

+1 Exactly, I still find this resolution hard to believe on an iPad, i guess we'll wait and see..

Thex1138
Jun 14, 2011, 07:46 PM

The drawbacks are:

iPhone 4 was same price as iPhone 3Gs...

Mak47
Jun 14, 2011, 07:47 PM
A retina display for the iPad is a common sense move. They'll have to make other upgrades to it though. If you double/quadruple the size of every image it might slow things down.

I'd imagine it will eat up battery life as well. I'm sure this upgrade will happen, but I'm not sure doing it before the end of the year would make any sense.

Redline13
Jun 14, 2011, 07:50 PM
It says it right in quotes...

The section that you're referencing discusses the fact that the new twitter framework included in the iOS 5 beta includes the large images that are the genesis of the speculation about a future hi-res ipad. It doesn't infer that the only changes to the future ipad 3 will be the ones mentioned in this article which is what the poster I was responding to was implying.

Elijahg
Jun 14, 2011, 07:50 PM
Actual games won't run at 2048x1536, they will probably run at a much lower resolution, but you still get the retina display..

Yeah that's a good point, perhaps games would be limited to the old 1024*768 res. Doesn't seem very Appley though, "Retina display for everything other than games!" hmm... Some games use pixel doubling as it is, due to poor/inefficient programming really, it looks pretty rough.

Peteman100
Jun 14, 2011, 07:51 PM
I'm not so sure this is possible, running applications is not an issue at that resolution, but if there is gaming at that native resolution then it cannot be done..

However I'm beginning to think actual games won't run at 2048x1536, they will probably run at a much lower resolution, but you still get the retina display..

Hey if they can make it possible then great, but I don't know how they plan to do it, especially at that price point..

For games, they could easily run at half resolution. Problem solved.

gorskiegangsta
Jun 14, 2011, 07:52 PM
Yes but if we all thought this way we would still be in the stone age.

This is Apple we're talking about. They aren't a company that wastes their time on including impractical features into their products. Including a display of this resolution, at this point in time (or even next year) will reap benefits to neither Apple, nor customers.

karohan
Jun 14, 2011, 07:54 PM
If Apple offers a screen like to this on their iPad, what kind of screens would they offer on their Macbook Pro/iMacs. They surely can't sell a Macbook Pro line with screens that all have lower resolutions than their far cheaper and far weaker iPad line, right?

QuarterSwede
Jun 14, 2011, 07:54 PM
This is Apple we're talking about. They aren't a company that wastes their time on including impractical features into their products. Including a display of this resolution, at this point in time (or even next year) will reap benefits to neither Apple, nor customers.
Similarly, they don't update resources for no reason.

Neodym
Jun 14, 2011, 08:08 PM
The Apple FISCAL YEAR runs until September. An iPad 3 released in October would technically fall into FISCAL YEAR 2012 for Apple, so Steve would not even have lied with the statement that 2011 would be the year of the iPad 2...

ECUpirate44
Jun 14, 2011, 08:10 PM
The Apple FISCAL YEAR runs until September. An iPad 3 released in October would technically fall into FISCAL YEAR 2012 for Apple, so Steve would not even have lied with the statement that 2011 would be the year of the iPad 2...

I think it was obvious they were referring to the calendar year :rolleyes:

lavrishevo
Jun 14, 2011, 08:15 PM
No way iPad 3 this year. Apple can't even produce enough iPad 2's let alone release the iPad 3. Moronic conclusion.

haruhiko
Jun 14, 2011, 08:17 PM
Apple will not kill the iPad 2 and enrage their recent customers so soon. iPad 3 with such high resolution will not appear before 2012.

ljocampo
Jun 14, 2011, 08:21 PM

The drawbacks are:

So if they can put a retina display in an iPhone 4, then I don't see a reason they can't technically put one in an iPad 3.

HelveticaNeue
Jun 14, 2011, 08:22 PM
I cannot wait for this. Apple has spoiled me with the iPhone 4's display. Daily I think about how pixelated the text looks on the iPad in Pages and iBooks.

Wilson1313
Jun 14, 2011, 08:22 PM
Let's settle this once and for all— there will be NO iPad 3 this year. Apple can hardly keep up the demand for the current model, months after its release. They can continue selling very strongly without a refresh this year. Coupled with iOS 5, the iPad 2 will still be hard to beat by competing Android tablets.

Will the iPad 3 or iPad 4 get a 2048 x 1536 display? Certainly. But with the cost of the display and the need for a more powerful chip to render all the pixels quickly, we will have to wait until next year for a refresh.

gorskiegangsta
Jun 14, 2011, 08:23 PM
iPhone 4 was same price as iPhone 3Gs...

Subsidized, maybe. Unlocked and unsubsidized, the iPhone 4 was upwards of $700 (for the lowest 16gb model) with 64gb models running upwards of $1,000. The most expensive model of 3Gs (64gb model) was $649 unlocked and unsubsidized upon its release.
iPads aren't subsidized by carriers, you pay the full retail price for it. It is very likely that adding a display of that resolution will drive the cost up $100 or more. Neither consumers nor Apple want that.

Besides, with the iPhone 4's "retina" display, Apple was only catching up to competition, since the resolution on the 3Gs was painfully archaic 320x480 HVGA, vs competition's obviously superior 480x800 WVGA.

Elijahg
Jun 14, 2011, 08:23 PM
So if they can out a retina display in an iPhone 4, then I see a reason they can't technically put one in an iPad 3.

That's because the iPhone's screen is only 3.7 inches, with a total pixel count of 614,400. As I said previously, iPad has 786,432 pixels, a retina display iPad would have 3,145,728 pixels.

3goldens
Jun 14, 2011, 08:25 PM
Yep, it's coming.
2012 Year of the Ipad 3

haruhiko
Jun 14, 2011, 08:26 PM
Subsidized, maybe. Unlocked and unsubsidized, the iPhone 4 was upwards of $700 (for the lowest 16gb model) with 64gb models running upwards of $1,000. The most expensive model of 3Gs (64gb model) was $649 unlocked and unsubsidized upon its release.
iPads aren't subsidized by carriers, you pay the full retail price for it. It is very likely that adding a display of that resolution will drive the cost up $100 or more. Neither consumers nor Apple want that.

Besides, with the iPhone 4's "retina" display, Apple was only catching up to competition, since the resolution on the 3Gs was painfully archaic 320x480 HVGA, vs competition's obviously superior 480x800 WVGA.

(edited)

I remember the iPhone 3G 16GB was HK$5400 ($692) in Hong Kong, and the iPhone 4 16GB is HK$4988 ($639) now.

iPadThai
Jun 14, 2011, 08:27 PM

Well, steve also said the following would be availabe (white iphone 4 but never delivered either):

http://img862.imageshack.us/img862/5346/screenshot20110614at622.png

Erdnaqwe
Jun 14, 2011, 08:27 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; fr-fr) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

It's obvious that Apple will make a Retina display iPad at some point because all the other iOS devices have retina display, so why not the iPad. It would be a perfect match!

DavidLeblond
Jun 14, 2011, 08:30 PM
The section that you're referencing discusses the fact that the new twitter framework included in the iOS 5 beta includes the large images that are the genesis of the speculation about a future hi-res ipad. It doesn't infer that the only changes to the future ipad 3 will be the ones mentioned in this article which is what the poster I was responding to was implying.

The article speculated that because of finding this one piece of art in iOS5, it meant that iPad 3 will probably be released at the same time as iOS5. Which would mean the iPad 3 would only have one piece of artwork that fully used its screen. (Other than iBooks, I believe art has been found there too.)

I'm not saying iPad 3 won't have retina, just that finding ONE piece of artwork doesn't mean its going to be released simultaneously with the OS.

twoodcc
Jun 14, 2011, 08:32 PM
This would be great. Maybe next year?

gorskiegangsta
Jun 14, 2011, 08:33 PM
So if they can put a retina display in an iPhone 4, then I don't see a reason they can't technically put one in an iPad 3.

Well, if they "technically" put 1536x2048 display into the next iPad, I promise you AT&T won't be there to subsidize it to same prices as the previous gen. as they did with the iPhone 4.

Thex1138
Jun 14, 2011, 08:37 PM

In Australia, 2009-2010 iPhone 3Gs was 1049... in 2011.. $999.. go figure eh?
Meaning.. faster cpu, retina screen, cameras, higher res cameras...

gorskiegangsta
Jun 14, 2011, 08:40 PM
In Hong Kong the (unlocked) iPhone 4 is actually cheaper than iPhone 3GS for HK$12 (US$1.5) :D

That is only as of now, and only because of lack of availability of the 3Gs models compared to iP4 models. Same thing with the iPods; the 4gb 5th gen Nano now actually costs more than the current 8gb 6th gen model.
If you look at prices (unlocked and unsubsidized) upon their release, the 3Gs was significantly cheaper than the iP4 at the time of its release.

blow45
Jun 14, 2011, 08:44 PM
God catch,mbut it wasn't that hard to spot....so to relay info from others without original research is a bit boring, this is the largest Mac site and yet original research is so ****, worse than pretty much any Mac site. Which was tolerable a few years ago with less Mac users, but it's not anymore. Start reporting your own stuff for a change instead of relaying info. Do some productive work for a change....And honor those add dollars, it's always apple insider said this or that, someone said this or that, and it's never we learned this, apparently macrumors has zero original sources and almost zero original research, wtf?

2IS
Jun 14, 2011, 08:45 PM
There were a couple things keeping me from being an Ipad/2 owner.

1) I wanted a more fully featured OS
2) Already an iPhone 4 owner, I wanted retina on the iPad

My first concern will be addressed by iOS5, and if this ends up being more than just a rumor, i'll be an iPad 3 owner.

Dreamer2go
Jun 14, 2011, 08:52 PM
There were a couple things keeping me from being an Ipad/2 owner.

1) I wanted a more fully featured OS
2) Already an iPhone 4 owner, I wanted retina on the iPad

My first concern will be addressed by iOS5, and if this ends up being more than just a rumor, i'll be an iPad 3 owner.

hahaha.....
1) then the soon-to-be-released macbook air is for you. Lion!!!
2) Retina ipad, if produced this year, will be super expensive.... wait till the costs goes down.

Anyways you could get an iPad 2 now, and sell it later and get the iPad 3... that's what I'm going to do hahaha.... the iPad 2 will eventually be in my gf's hands.

notabadname
Jun 14, 2011, 08:55 PM
People need to "let go" of the dream of an iPad 3 in a few months. The 2 is still elusive at stores and has been out only a few months. Isn't this the site where statistical data is collected to predict hardware updates? Does it even make sense for a 5 month product life from Apple? (that last one was kind of rhetorical)

AZREOSpecialist
Jun 14, 2011, 09:00 PM

So a Keynote slide is supposed to indicate Apple's iPad plans for the next 12 months? SJ also stood in front of a crowded Macworld audience and said we would have 3+ GHz G5 processors within a year. That didn't happen either despite SJ promising on stage.

Don't make assumptions about Apple's product update cycles based on one slide. Even if Apple announces and ships an iPad 3 in September or October, 2011 will still be the "year of iPad 2" because iPad 2 will have outsold everyone this year, even its own successor.

ChrisTX
Jun 14, 2011, 09:04 PM
Yeah, it doesn't make sense at all.

There is simply no need for a iPad 3 this year. No Honeycomb tablet has trumped the iPad 2. The new Samsung Tab is very close but Apple can definitely wait till next year to release the iPad 3.

The hardware is the only selling point. Honeycomb still sucks.

ben173
Jun 14, 2011, 09:13 PM
i hope it doesn't come out in September i just bought one a few months ago

Prallethrin
Jun 14, 2011, 09:18 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I hope the A5 will have enough graphic power to run it. It's 4x more pixels to push.

Might have to up the RAM to about a 1GB to given apps more space - doubling worked for the iPhone 4 just fine; 3GS had 256MB and the iPhone 4 had 512MB only.

2IS
Jun 14, 2011, 09:32 PM
hahaha.....
1) then the soon-to-be-released macbook air is for you. Lion!!!
2) Retina ipad, if produced this year, will be super expensive.... wait till the costs goes down.

Anyways you could get an iPad 2 now, and sell it later and get the iPad 3... that's what I'm going to do hahaha.... the iPad 2 will eventually be in my gf's hands.

I don't care of the iPad 3 comes this year, or next. I'm in no rush, just saying that when it does become available and if it does have Retina, i'll buy it. iPad for me is more of a toy that would be nice/convenient to use every once in a while and there's far too many things I do not like about the iPad 2 to be bothered with it, even if I can sell it and recoup some my money back.

I've already got a Macbook Air (2010) and plan on upgrading to Lion as soon as it's available.

w00t951
Jun 14, 2011, 09:42 PM
Holy motherlovin' poop.

RawBert
Jun 14, 2011, 09:50 PM
No way is the iPad 3 being released this year. If that were the case, then iPad 1, 2 and 3 each would have been sold as the current model at some point in 2011. That just doesn't make good business sense, especially if version 2 continues to be in high demand.

That being said, I cannot wait 'til March!

lilcosco08
Jun 14, 2011, 10:03 PM
Good thing I stayed with my iPad 1 :D

mozumder
Jun 14, 2011, 10:04 PM
and by "twice the size" you mean four times the size...

beangibbs
Jun 14, 2011, 10:14 PM

The drawbacks are:

But Intel did just come out with 3D chip technology. So maybe, these badass processors of the future can be smaller, but super powerful, while preserving battery life. Think like Steve Jobs!
But seriously...if the ideas for these products came to my mind months earlier...I would prolly be in Steve's shoes instead of here.
Oh well. :P

Blacklabel34
Jun 14, 2011, 10:18 PM
I guess the market will be flooded with iPad2's.....glad I waited:D

jonnysods
Jun 14, 2011, 10:20 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8J2)

I'm ready.

DavidLeblond
Jun 14, 2011, 10:23 PM
A developer friend of mine summarized this well:

https://twitter.com/flyosity/status/80821407583449088

I know high-res images in iOS make us really want a retina iPad but the reality is the Apple designers work at insane res for everything.

TimeArrow
Jun 14, 2011, 10:28 PM
It cost many bucks to upgrade a Mac/PC screen from WXGA(1280*800) to WSXGA, and several hundred to upgrade from WSXGA to WSXGA+ (1680*1050) , even on a large 15 inch, as well as TN panel.

For the iPad 3, the res can be 2048*1536 ? on a 9.7 inch panel, and even IPS, for only 499/16GB? Highly suspect. Not only because of the screen cost, but also the yield rate, all limited by the tech level at present.

ivladster
Jun 14, 2011, 10:28 PM
I think Apple is just testing these things. I am sure they wanted to change much more for iPad 2, but saw that there's no competition and are now holding untill next update. When these tablets start to slowly eat into market share, I think Apple will do another punch.

Icaras
Jun 14, 2011, 10:40 PM
Steve's stood next to (and said) all sorts of things that later proved misleading (to put it mildly). ;)

Yea, but seriously, if we backtrack to when the iPod was first introduced in 2001, exactly how many times have Apple deviated from the usual hardware update a year for ALL their iDevices?

We need to stay practical here.

Wow. Welcome to last year?

Michael Scrip
Jun 14, 2011, 10:44 PM

There are plenty of other "pads" out there.

HP TouchPad... Asus Eee Pad and PadPhone... LG Optimus Pad...

I agree the name is incredibly silly... and you're not the first person to compare it to a feminine product.

So what's going on? These companies have to feel the same way you do about the word "pad".... but they still went ahead with it. How come?

Oh I know why... Apple called their tablet the iPad.

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery...

I mean seriously.... imagine a bunch of HP/Palm execs sitting in the boardroom: "iPad.... ummmm.... TouchPad.... yeah that's the ticket"

Really?

JabbaII
Jun 14, 2011, 11:03 PM
Wonder how much graphic power is required to push the pixels at that resolution. Most big monitors don't even has that resolution.

Will we see a difference in video quality given the size of iphone/ipad.

There are people who see no difference between 720p vs. 1080p :D

Eric5h5
Jun 14, 2011, 11:04 PM

What? No. The only things that would actually increase by 4X is the amount of RAM required to store the screen buffers, and some graphics. Upping the screen res by 4X doesn't magically make all data and code take up 4X the amount of space for no reason. 1GB would be plenty.

Well, if they "technically" put 1536x2048 display into the next iPad, I promise you AT&T won't be there to subsidize it to same prices as the previous gen. as they did with the iPhone 4.

So how come the iPod touch didn't increase in price? Components always get cheaper over time.

--Eric

kiljoy616
Jun 14, 2011, 11:12 PM

Really hard getting an Ipad 2 right now plus exactly what big thing would they bring out in 2012 and 2013. Once you put retina what else can you do but incremental updates.

So I say 2012 the year of the ipad 3 and 2013 the year of the ipad 3D. :rolleyes:

Michael Scrip
Jun 14, 2011, 11:13 PM

You can interpret that in another way.

The iPad 2 will be on sale for 9 months in 2011. There will be plenty of iPad 2 sold in 2011... compared to its competitors.

An iPad 3 released near the end of 2011 won't have a chance to dominate.... hence... it'll technically still be the year of the iPad 2.

I remember that slide in the keynote... wasn't it near the slide that said "year of the copycat?" I think he was talking about the iPad competitors... to be honest.

kiljoy616
Jun 14, 2011, 11:17 PM
As pointed out previously twitter would be the only app to have these retina images.

Also it would make sense that because of the deep twitter integration in iOS 5 the guys over at twitter would be clued in on some future specs, and figure that since they know they will be needed in the future, they might as well be included now to prevent more work when the time comes.

Some one please tell me how you can link retina twitter images to an imminent iPad 3 launch with iOS 5?? All suppliers say there is no iPad 3 coming as they would be ramping production next month...plus who really believes we will have a retina iPad 3 in September when we can't even be sure what network (3G,4g) the iPhone 4s will have!! Logic.

By magic I imagine they would one second be making ipad 2 and next ipad 3 your behind the times, Apple now works by pixie dust magic :D I can see it so clearly right after I stopped taking my medication. :D

ben173
Jun 14, 2011, 11:34 PM
Well, steve also said the following would be availabe (white iphone 4 but never delivered either):

Image (http://img862.imageshack.us/img862/5346/screenshot20110614at622.png)

they were both delivered..........

cmaier
Jun 14, 2011, 11:35 PM

You're a funny guy.

shurcooL
Jun 14, 2011, 11:36 PM
So how come the iPod touch didn't increase in price? Components always get cheaper over time.
I'm not disagreeing with what you said, but iPod touch 8 GB did go up from $230 to $250.

jacobdaniel
Jun 15, 2011, 12:18 AM

Since when has there EVER been a 64GB iPhone?

d Fusion b
Jun 15, 2011, 12:19 AM
i'm a little confused are we talking about 'jaculate?

the ipad 2 is selling so well i'm missing the incentive where they need to release the HD version.

Great business strategy ya got there.

-Meh, it's selling good we'll just put it out again next year-

Interesting.

norrismantooth
Jun 15, 2011, 12:24 AM
OP,

Those graphics are photoshopped. So much for the rumor. People will believe anything these days.

- Norris

superericla
Jun 15, 2011, 12:38 AM
This is technologically possible now. That pixel density in displays of that size are available now. That kind of display + 1GB or more of ram + quad core graphics (sony's vita supposedly will have quad core graphics so it's possible) = one amazing iPad. My guess is that the price would increase. How much is the question.

w00t951
Jun 15, 2011, 12:59 AM
Hey, Steve, if you're not BSing on this one, you can reach inside my Visa and rummage all you want...

ninethirty
Jun 15, 2011, 01:01 AM
I'm sure it's been said already, but in response to anyone claiming this won't happen this year because Steve stood in front of a banner that said "2011: Year of the iPad2" - I'm sure a retina display upgrade won't warrant an upgrade from 2 -> 3. It'll be a premium version of the iPad 2 no doubt.

Northgrove
Jun 15, 2011, 01:19 AM

Yes, that didn't make much sense. If they're right, everything in iOS 5 should have been updated. Although maybe iOS 5 just hasn't all new graphics sizes finished? It's not a finished iOS build we're looking at.

But what I think makes more sense is that these new sizes have slipped some cracks at Apple, and they could be part of an "iPad 4" or something. I certainly don't think hardware technology (especially as for mobile GPU performance) are ready for driving 2048x1536 in fast 3D games. Desktop GPU's are barely even there.

snapper64
Jun 15, 2011, 01:53 AM
289610So maybe it's called the iPad 2 HD?

awer25
Jun 15, 2011, 01:55 AM
If we're getting a retina display on the iPad, can we please increase the resolution of the 13" MBP already? 800 lines is almost insulting for a "Pro" notebook.

JGowan
Jun 15, 2011, 01:58 AM
Steve stood right next to this when the iPad 2 was launched. No iPad 3 until 2012I see your reasoning for this to not come out this year -- however -- there is a lot of competition that is emerging and Apple may want to stay way ahead of it. If it was exactly the same form factor but had different screen and internal parts, technically it's still an iPad 2. I think coming out with an "iPad 2 HD" or "iPad 2 Pro" would be completely legit and still offer those who were waiting to jump down off the fence and upgrade. Also, those who bought last year and decided to hold off on 2 and wait for the next one would find this a very compelling reason to jump on board again.

Personally, I welcome it --- and this is coming from someone who's had iPad 1 and 2.

teme
Jun 15, 2011, 02:01 AM
Maybe Apple is just making some parts of iOS future-proof, even though they don't have instant need for them?

Also... if they release iOS 5 in September 2011 and iOS 6 in September 2012, the iOS 5 will be in iPad 3 even if it isn't released until August 2012.

bigandtasty
Jun 15, 2011, 02:15 AM
Maybe it will be the "one more thing" during September's iPhone/iPod event :D

My thoughts exactly:)

Don Kosak
Jun 15, 2011, 02:28 AM
Maybe Apple is just making some parts of iOS future-proof, even though they don't have instant need for them?

Also... if they release iOS 5 in September 2011 and iOS 6 in September 2012, the iOS 5 will be in iPad 3 even if it isn't released until August 2012.

This.

Apple has a lot of assets in various frameworks. At some point they need to begin to introduce the 2x resolution assets. Maybe releasing this one was a mistake, or maybe it's intentional and other frameworks will be updated over the next few months.

In either case, it doesn't make any sense for iPad 3 to come out in September 2011. I mean the iPad 2 just came out in some countries.

The earliest I can imagine is late November in preparation for the holiday shopping season in the USA.

bushido
Jun 15, 2011, 02:59 AM
i wanna get an iPad around september, with all those rumors of the 3rd already showing up it'll be hard to actually wait for the 3rd and not just get the current model. damn ...

but i highly doubt apple would release new iPods, new iPhone and new iPad this fall

rovex
Jun 15, 2011, 03:06 AM
Give it to me

macnisse
Jun 15, 2011, 03:32 AM
That's good news! Too bad that spring 2012 is sooooo far away. Cause there is no chance we'll see the iPad3 before x-mas, right?!

caspersoong
Jun 15, 2011, 03:35 AM
Why Twitter only? That really puzzles me. Is it about some agreement with Twitter or something and Twitter wants to see it on the next-generation iPad? I'm confused.

Mr. Gates
Jun 15, 2011, 03:41 AM
Could just be for the 3 finger magnification tap ..

Or Air-Play ...

Lets not get all excited, I'm sure its nothing.

That resolution isn't made for a 10 hour battery and thats a key feature.

If true I'll be shocked

gpat
Jun 15, 2011, 03:42 AM
That would give me some serious motivation to upgrade from my iPad 1G. But the A6 has to be a real masterpiece of a processor, both in power efficiency and sheer power, in order to support such a monstrous resolution.

brobert99
Jun 15, 2011, 03:53 AM
Why Twitter only? That really puzzles me. Is it about some agreement with Twitter or something and Twitter wants to see it on the next-generation iPad? I'm confused.

Maybe because the next iPad with a retina display will be released sometime between iOS5 and iOS6 coming out

NightFox
Jun 15, 2011, 04:09 AM
I know it's not Apple's normal way of doing things, but is it at least conceivable that they could have two concurrent 'current' models of iPad on sale at the same time - an iPad2 and iPad2 HD or whatever you want to call it?

I'm not talking about how it is with iPhones where the 3GS is still available as well as the iP4, but very much a 'previous version'. I'm talking about increasing the iPad2 model range so that rather than just choosing RAM size and SIM/no SIM there's also an option of higher-res screen (presumably with faster hardware to drive it). In other words, the iPad2 range increases later this year rather than the iPad2 being replaced.

As I say, it's not the way Apple have sold iOS devices before and I'm not even saying I think this is going to happen, just thinking out loud really.

Lesser Evets
Jun 15, 2011, 04:19 AM

Go play with your Wii.

Hairball
Jun 15, 2011, 04:38 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8J2)

If this rumor is true, I might just have to upgrade my iPad 1. This display on an iPad would be amazing.

sineplex
Jun 15, 2011, 04:48 AM

Steve has said a lot of things before and then gone and done the complete opposite.

Techunwrapped goes on to suggest that because the large images were only included in the Twitter section of the iOS SDK -- a relatively new part of the iOS codebase -- it means an iPad 3 will come out in the same timeframe as iOS 5 is released.

No doubt. I'm sure iOS5 will support retina. but perhaps iOS 5.3.4 at the end of it's life cycle before iOS 6

iBunny
Jun 15, 2011, 04:49 AM
Hope this is true. Been waiting to get an iPad until the 3rd generation.

The first gen did not have a front facing camera. Fail.

The second gen did not have a retina display like the iPhone 4 does. Fail.

So unsure what the 3rd gen will be missing, but hopefully it will include a retina display.

rovex
Jun 15, 2011, 04:53 AM
The ipad cannot even output 720p video of course retina has to happen, going 3 versions of the ipad without any improvements to the display? i think not.

Mr. Gates
Jun 15, 2011, 05:08 AM
The ipad cannot even output 720p video of course retina has to happen, going 3 versions of the ipad without any improvements to the display? i think not.

It happened with the iPhone...

Original
3G
3Gs

......All the same display

apu1234
Jun 15, 2011, 05:12 AM
There's no way that the current hardware can run a display with such a high resolution, and ARM Cortex A15 won't be available for market until 2012.

arcite
Jun 15, 2011, 05:18 AM

The drawbacks are:

Well Obviously:

The iPad 3 will have a bigger battery
The iPad 3 will have a faster processor
The iPad 3 will have at least double the storage
And to top it all off, the iPad 3 will probably be ever so slightly thinner than the iPad 2. You can bet on it.

ratzzo
Jun 15, 2011, 05:23 AM

That's because it was released that year (The Year of iPad 2), it doesn't mean anything else.

ratzzo
Jun 15, 2011, 05:28 AM

The drawbacks are:

The iPhone got retina display and the price remained the same. I can't remember the last time an Apple product increased in price with a refresh. If it does, they will just probably add an option for it to be retina or not, and add to the price accordingly.

And I doubt retina will make battery life decrease. If it does, it will be a minimal amount and, even then, the iPad still boasts plenty of battery life hours.

Onimusha370
Jun 15, 2011, 06:13 AM
very little chance of seeing an ipad 3 before 2012, they're going to need an A6 at least to be able to smoothly run that resolution, and more importantly, they're selling ipad 2's like hotcakes. seems completely pointless releasing a new ipad when demands at an all time high...

rovex
Jun 15, 2011, 07:02 AM
It happened with the iPhone...

Original
3G
3Gs

......All the same display

There's a difference, all the other iDevices's have retina it would make absolute sense for the iPad as well. The technology is there.

Jett0516
Jun 15, 2011, 07:32 AM
last year Engadget found a jpeg file that has retina display written all over it for the ipad 2.

Well the ipad 2 came and it did not get the retina display.

moral of the story...you figure it out.

ajohnson253
Jun 15, 2011, 07:39 AM
That will def be fun to play with.

Thunderhawks
Jun 15, 2011, 07:47 AM
so should i buy an ipad, or will one be coming out by the end of this or next month according to this

That is a definite maybe!

There will be one coming out this month
or next month, or next month, or next month, or next month, or next month, or next month, or next month, or next month, or next month, or next month, or next month, or next month, or next month, or next month, or next month, or next month, or next month, or next month, or next month, or next month, or next month, or next month, or next month, or next month, or next month, or next month, or next month.............

douglaswilliams
Jun 15, 2011, 07:48 AM
2048 x 1536 = 3,145,728

PI ~= 3.141592 --> 3,141,592

3,145,728 - 3,141,592 = 4136

www.4136.com is some Asian website.

Therefore, I predict the display for the iPad 3, or 4, will be manufactured somewhere in Asia.

On another note, it might be called the iPie and be round instead of rectangle!

Thunderhawks
Jun 15, 2011, 07:54 AM
Hope this is true. Been waiting to get an iPad until the 3rd generation.

The first gen did not have a front facing camera. Fail.

The second gen did not have a retina display like the iPhone 4 does. Fail.

So unsure what the 3rd gen will be missing, but hopefully it will include a retina display.

I wish I had failures in the millions like the ipad 1 or 2 and couldn't make enough "failures".

With your attitude, you may want to skip ipad 3 also, as it will be missing something you MUST have.

Time to check out Playbook and Galaxy?

OrangeSVTguy
Jun 15, 2011, 07:59 AM
Makes sense being that I just bought an iPad 2 today.

Although honestly retina display is really not that big of a selling feature for me personally.

It will be when you go from an iPhone 3G(s) to an iPhone 4. The screen is not really sharp at all and gets annoying when you're used to the iPhone 4.

Coukos34
Jun 15, 2011, 08:12 AM
I wish I had failures in the millions like the ipad 1 or 2 and couldn't make enough "failures".

With your attitude, you may want to skip ipad 3 also, as it will be missing something you MUST have.

Time to check out Playbook and Galaxy?

Seriously, what a FAIL attitude

RyanFromQA
Jun 15, 2011, 08:30 AM
Being that we've seen evidence only for images of that size, not of actual 9.7" 2048x1536 LCD's being manufactured, bought, certified, or whatever, this has a much broader implication.

Nothing ties this to the iPad.

All this means is that we could see a device that runs iOS with a screen res of 2048x1536.

It's pretty obvious that a merger between iOS and OS X is inevitable. Perhaps the first step is a 13" tablet with a Core i3, 4GB of Ram, 256GB SSD, and iOS/OSX dual boot? Don't tell me they can't do it, the Air is proof they can make the guts work, in the same basic form factor as the iPad 1.

Why would you want something like this? Besides being able to dock it for laptop-like use, you could have one device that had full OSX with 3-4 hours of battery life, or iOS with 6-8 hours of battery life, both with access to the same iTunes library, documents, etc.

Already the iPad has some issues being a Dock-connector-fed device (charging issues for one, lack of USB host capability for another), and with iOS 5 liberating the iDevices from needing any other computer, a mag-safe charged, larger, more independent tablet with Lion and iOS would serve a dual purpose for a lot of people. The iPad could never replace my Macbook or iMac but a tablet like this could definitely replace my Macbook.

This also ties in nicely with the new Time Capsule/Airport Extreme rumors that have us backing up our iPads. . . . personally I don't ever need to backup my iPad. It's a secondary device, and in its current incarnation it always will be for me. But if this was someone's only computer?

Now, the only thing I could see shooting this down? They'd probably have to make it 16:10 or wider if it was going to be a "real computer" these days.

usptact
Jun 15, 2011, 09:12 AM
Nope. False reasoning. It just means that developers are anticipating the hypothetical arrival of Retina displays.

usptact
Jun 15, 2011, 09:13 AM
2048 x 1536 = 3,145,728

www.4136.com is some Asian website.

Therefore, I predict the display for the iPad 3, or 4, will be manufactured somewhere in Asia.

Love this example. It shows well how rumors are produced. Well done, pal ;)

SpinThis!
Jun 15, 2011, 09:18 AM
And I doubt retina will make battery life decrease. If it does, it will be a minimal amount and, even then, the iPad still boasts plenty of battery life hours.
If it doesn't decrease, it'll be due to better battery technology and whatever secret power-saving sauce Apple cooks up. Throwing in a retina display into a current iPad 2 would probably drain quite fast.

For the iPad 3, the res can be 2048*1536 ? on a 9.7 inch panel, and even IPS, for only 499/16GB? Highly suspect. Not only because of the screen cost, but also the yield rate, all limited by the tech level at present.
Exactly. In the past for the Cinema Displays, Apple has only gotten the very best IPS panels (usually grade A, destined for for professional products). That's why they cost so much but they usually had less dead pixels, even color, etc. Even if they got lower consumer grade, just the panel itself would likely cost as much as an entire iPad itself now. More pixels = more transistors = higher cost = more room for error. There's no way around it.

douglaswilliams
Jun 15, 2011, 09:30 AM
Love this example. It shows well how rumors are produced. Well done, pal ;)

Thanks! You got my point right on :)

Thunderhawks
Jun 15, 2011, 09:41 AM
Being that we've seen evidence only for images of that size, not of actual 9.7" 2048x1536 LCD's being manufactured, bought, certified, or whatever, this has a much broader implication.

Nothing ties this to the iPad.

All this means is that we could see a device that runs iOS with a screen res of 2048x1536.

It's pretty obvious that a merger between iOS and OS X is inevitable. Perhaps the first step is a 13" tablet with a Core i3, 4GB of Ram, 256GB SSD, and iOS/OSX dual boot? Don't tell me they can't do it, the Air is proof they can make the guts work, in the same basic form factor as the iPad 1.

Why would you want something like this? Besides being able to dock it for laptop-like use, you could have one device that had full OSX with 3-4 hours of battery life, or iOS with 6-8 hours of battery life, both with access to the same iTunes library, documents, etc.

Already the iPad has some issues being a Dock-connector-fed device (charging issues for one, lack of USB host capability for another), and with iOS 5 liberating the iDevices from needing any other computer, a mag-safe charged, larger, more independent tablet with Lion and iOS would serve a dual purpose for a lot of people. The iPad could never replace my Macbook or iMac but a tablet like this could definitely replace my Macbook.

This also ties in nicely with the new Time Capsule/Airport Extreme rumors that have us backing up our iPads. . . . personally I don't ever need to backup my iPad. It's a secondary device, and in its current incarnation it always will be for me. But if this was someone's only computer?

Now, the only thing I could see shooting this down? They'd probably have to make it 16:10 or wider if it was going to be a "real computer" these days.

16:10, is that the component cost isuppli would estimate?

I am actually ready for an imac tablet. 27 inch at a 45 degree angle or so.

Keyboard yes, and looking down at it would be great.

pmz
Jun 15, 2011, 09:52 AM
That resolution is higher than my laptop. It better have some decent hardware with a display like that

And what is the A5? Not "decent" enough for you?

pmz
Jun 15, 2011, 09:56 AM
Could just be for the 3 finger magnification tap ..

Or Air-Play ...

Lets not get all excited, I'm sure its nothing.

That resolution isn't made for a 10 hour battery and thats a key feature.

If true I'll be shocked

Because you have any clue what Apple is capable of? Apple hasn't released this product yet, in case you haven't noticed. And they won't release it until March 2012, processor A6 dual core 2 Ghz 1 GB of Ram and 2048 x 1536 display.

I will buy one. End.

douglaswilliams
Jun 15, 2011, 10:05 AM
2048 x 1536 = 3,145,728

www.4136.com is a website owned by some company in Shanghai, China.

Therefore, I predict the display for the iPad 3, or 4, will be manufactured somewhere in Asia, most likely China.

Rumors, rumors...

msb3079
Jun 15, 2011, 10:38 AM

Umm yes it can.

Radoo
Jun 15, 2011, 10:48 AM
The same thing MacRmors posted about iPad 2... Pff...

GSPice
Jun 15, 2011, 11:30 AM

It doesn't! I guess that means there will be no Retina iPad 3, or that ONLY Twitter will be hi-res and all other apps will look like :eek:
:rolleyes:

:rolleyes:

iMaci7
Jun 15, 2011, 01:02 PM
This would be an incredible display at this res...Remember 1080p/blu ray has 2.1 Million pixels, this would have 3.1 Million! 50% More! Thats 70,000 pixels per square inch! or 264ppi!

Im thinking the iPad 3 will get me to stand in line. Very exited.

Drag'nGT
Jun 15, 2011, 01:15 PM
The screen res on the latest products have been a great selling point for me. The iPad 2 wanted to go home with me but I couldn't do it since I had my hopes set on the retina display. Hopefully the 3rd gen gets this ability.

rovex
Jun 15, 2011, 01:25 PM
This would be an incredible display at this res...Remember 1080p/blu ray has 2.1 Million pixels, this would have 3.1 Million! 50% More! Thats 70,000 pixels per square inch! or 264ppi!

Im thinking the iPad 3 will get me to stand in line. Very exited.

Damn, doesn't have the same PPI as the iphone. :p

It would look great regardless but it'd be fantastic having the same as the iphone.

mdelvecchio
Jun 15, 2011, 04:26 PM

no, dude, theyre gonna release a poorly performing device.

Trian
Jun 15, 2011, 05:42 PM
I guess this is one cat Apple did NOT want out of the bag this soon.

Now all the copycats will rush out to produce their hi-res pads in no time and "beat" Apple to it (in marketing there's no point saying "but the rumours about a hi-res iPad 3 came first"). Be certain of this.

(The image of a certain bespeckled Asian fellow introducing his ipad-replica a lil while ago with all kinds of arm swirling springs to mind)

Piggie
Jun 15, 2011, 06:09 PM
Exactly. In the past for the Cinema Displays, Apple has only gotten the very best IPS panels (usually grade A, destined for for professional products). That's why they cost so much but they usually had less dead pixels, even color, etc. Even if they got lower consumer grade, just the panel itself would likely cost as much as an entire iPad itself now. More pixels = more transistors = higher cost = more room for error. There's no way around it.

I'm pretty sure this is just not true.
I recall a couple of years ago reading a review of one up against a dell of the same spec. They both used technically the same panel but the Apple used led backlighting instead of cold cathode and performed much worse than the dell for the could gamut. Also much less connectivity.
The price wad about the same I believe.

I like Apple but sod people do talk some balls, just because it's Apple does mean it's automatically the best.

Dark-Sider
Jun 15, 2011, 08:19 PM
Has anyone thought about an iPad 2 HD
It comes with the same hardware as the iPad 2 but has the new retina "HD" display.

Just think about it as an option like the 3g for the iPad 2 or the better displays larger harddrives/ssds for the macbooks.

The "original" iPad 2 will still be in stores accompanied by the iPad 2 HD until they release the iPad 3 in Q3/2012.

MythicFrost
Jun 15, 2011, 09:48 PM

I used to think that too, however, the iPhone 4 uses the same graphics as the 3GS and actually gets a fair bit less performance than the 3GS does. So, technically, the GPU doesn't have to improve for them to put the retina display it.

Ijustfarted
Jun 15, 2011, 10:54 PM
do you guys think it will be another march release?

I want to know when I should sell my ipad 2 :p

Mr. Gates
Jun 16, 2011, 03:56 AM
Because you have any clue what Apple is capable of? Apple hasn't released this product yet, in case you haven't noticed. And they won't release it until March 2012, processor A6 dual core 2 Ghz 1 GB of Ram and 2048 x 1536 display.

I will buy one. End.

Bit snippy, aren't you !

Typical Defensive Apple Fan Attitude

Anyway, I was just pointing out some other possibilities.

I hope I am wrong and you are correct with your prediction.

As we both obviously know : It hasn't been released yet so don't get your panties in a bunch.

We can all hope for the sky as we always do before a release, but the key note (As it always does) will ground us back on earth.

Anyway, loose the attitude.

superericla
Jun 16, 2011, 04:11 AM
Reminds me of this (http://www.kitguru.net/peripherals/monitors/simon/samsung-to-showcase-new-2560x1600-10-inch-panel/).

mac9000
Jun 16, 2011, 12:26 PM
Wow, that res would be higher than my iMac 24"! :eek:
Somehow I feel like Apple is focusing on the iPad 9001% more than the Mac.

do you guys think it will be another march release?

I want to know when I should sell my ipad 2 :p

I'd buy it (for a discount) :)

What if there was a 30" retina cinema display? :eek:
It should be retina for what Apple charges.