Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple Big Mac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Anyone have any insight on what Apple is planning to do to transition MobileMe email only accounts to iCloud? You know, the $10/year option for a MobileMe email address and 200MB of storage? I assume that they're just going to be spun off into their own iCloud accounts, but since Apple's said nothing on the topic so far I wanted to open the discussion and see what others have to contribute.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
No one knows. The most info we have is that it seems Apple is going to offer some web services. They haven't said whether a web based service will even be available for iCloud.

Apple Big Mac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 27, 2011
I would assume that at the end of day most if not all MobileMe services will transfer over/be rebranded as iCloud, even though Apple makes it sound more like the services will be migrating over to a new platform. As for us not knowing which web based services they'll specifically be salvaging from MobileMe, I'm pretty sure they're just going to rebrand the current MobileMe interfaces into iCloud services, just as they did twice before (iTools -> .Mac -> MobileMe). I'm just wondering about lesser used features like email-only accounts because I wouldn't want my mom to lose her email account (and she certainly wouldn't like it!)

I'll try to get a call from MobileMe support tomorrow and report back if I gain any new information.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
Whether it be on the Mac with iTunes libraries, or iPhoto libraries, or on iOS devices like the iPad (iPhones are pretty much user specific), Apple has never really made it easy for families, or even a husband and wife, to share content. I tried at some point to have two user accounts on my iMac for my wife and I but one shared iPhoto and one shared iTunes library. I had to totally mess with permission structures in terminal and you couldn't open the same app on both users at the same time, which meant closing iTunes on my side before fast switching to hers, etc., just to keep the libraries matched. What if she wanted to email a photo or sync music to her iPod, should she have to be logged into my account and see all my playlists, or use my email. Same with Safari bookmarks. And now that we have an iPad, I don't even have her me.com email only account on there, just mine. All our apps and music uses my master Apple ID/iTunes ID which is a mac.com even though we have used me.com emails since the .Mac to MobileMe transition. iCloud honestly make more of a mess of this. They promote iLife for family stuff, but have always made computers and devices for individuals, never offering solutions to bring it all together.

Apple Big Mac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 27, 2011
I just did an online chat with a MM customer service agent, and of course he had no new information but promised to relay my concerns about email-only accounts up the chain.

flipshot

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2007
Hertfordshire, UK
I just did an online chat with a MM customer service agent, and of course he had no new information but promised to relay my concerns about email-only accounts up the chain.

They released some further info a few days ago. Web apps will still be available under iCloud. I would think that email only accounts will transition to full iCloud accounts just like Family Pack accounts do.

http://www.apple.com/mobileme/transition.html

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.