PDA

View Full Version : What do you think the best browser is for an eMac?

adcx64
Jun 14, 2011, 08:34 PM
Hey Guys,
Quick question for you!
On my eMac, Running leopard with a 1ghz G4 with 1GB of ram, I found that TenFourFox is kind of slow! I am using the 7450 optimized version. What browser do you guys suggest for me to try? Also, I haven't had much luck with Camino either...

Thank You! :apple:

stroked
Jun 14, 2011, 10:57 PM
You might be expecting too much from your emac. You could try installing click to flash. It's an add on for Firefox or tenfourfox, and it will stop flash from loading automatically.

I couldn't install clicktoflash straight to tenfourfox. I deleted TFF, opened firefox, installed clicktoflash, then reinstalled TFF.

sysiphus
Jun 14, 2011, 11:06 PM
Yeah, with ClickToFlash and Adblock installed, Firefox/TenFourFox are pretty good.

stroked
Jun 15, 2011, 12:20 AM
Yeah, with ClickToFlash and Adblock installed, Firefox/TenFourFox are pretty good.

I forgot about adblock. I think that helps more that click to flash, especially on forums.

adcx64
Jun 15, 2011, 02:55 PM
Thanks a lot guys, I will try these out!

tom vilsack
Jun 16, 2011, 02:49 AM
i would install tiger (although your machine can run leopard...you will find tiger a fair amount faster)...and use camino and then turn off ad's and click to flash (both options in camino)

other things i would do to save memory and speed things up...

-in dock use scale effects and no mag or animate...also turn wallpaper off and use colored
-turn off dashboard and turn off spotlight,if has bluetooth turn that also off

To turn Dashboard off: use terminal
defaults write com.apple.dashboard mcx-disabled -boolean YES

You have to restart the Dock after making either change for it to take effect:
killall Dock

To turn Spotlight off: use terminal

cd /etc
sudo nano hostconfig
SPOTLIGHT=-NO-
ctrl-x
y
enter

Then to get rid of the existing index, run these two commands
sudo mdutil -i off /
sudo mdutil -E /

reboot computer

Goftrey
Jun 17, 2011, 09:40 AM
I like Camino, it's runs like a dream on my iBook G3 and you can turn ads off and flash player off. Give it a try :')