Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hkala

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 26, 2005
cleveland
i've been downloading little real player samples but i can't seem to find them once they are downloaded? in the little download box/window (where they appear) i try to place them in the finder but the app says it has already been moved??? but i don't know where it has been moved?

these are different from limewire downloads...

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Is there a "Download location" or something in Real Player preferances...? (...or are you downloading with Safari or Firefox, then there are a Downloads setting in the preferences, for sure...)

Unless, of course, the links are not to files but to streams, in that case there shouldn't actually be any files...

hkala

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 26, 2005
cleveland
i'm downloading using safari and my prefs are set that my downloads are saved to my desktop, but once i am done playing the download and click on my desktop, the download dissapears?

altair

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2002
Seattle, WA
If its just a stream, i think they download a link or something that real player reads and contacts the website where the stream is coming from. Pretty sure you cant save streams.

mcadam

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2004
københavn
It might be possible to download them through the activity window (alt-apple-A), find the right file (a .ram file I suppose) and doubleclick it while holding down alt.
Not sure it will work in your situation, but you can always try, it's a nice trick in many cases.

A

risc

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
hkala said:
so if the downloads are streams (and i think they are) i can't save them?

Check google for Audio Hijack or Audio Hikack Pro if you want to record streams. I'm sure there are other tools people will recommend I found Audio Hijack Pro though and it does a perfect job of it.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
I have my downloads set to my desktop also. But I've never lost any. They stay on the desktop until I move them to my preferred file.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
They download but then they get automatically deleted for some reason. Try capturing the file using Activity Viewer in Safari.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.