PDA

View Full Version : Facebook Prepping New Photo Sharing App for iPhone

MacRumors
Jun 15, 2011, 09:35 AM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/15/facebook-prepping-new-photo-sharing-app-for-iphone/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/06/facebook_photo_app_iphone.jpg

TechCrunch reports (http://techcrunch.com/2011/06/15/facebook-secret-photos-app/) that it has receiving detailed information on a forthcoming iPhone application from Facebook that will focus on photo sharing, building on top of the company's massive existing platform to apparently pull together aspects of many other popular photo apps in what appears from the leaked documents to be an "awesome" offering.But again, the app looks amazing. We've heard that internally it is being called either "Hovertown" or "WithPeople". And while it looks like a stand-alone app right now, there are also signs that it could be eventually integrated into Facebook's main iPhone app - as well as the main site.

Either way, based on the images in front of us, the best way to think about it appears to be Path meets Instagram meets Color meets (Path's new side project) With - with a few cool twists. And obviously, it's built entirely on top of Facebook's massive social graph.No real details on the app other than a single image have yet been provided by TechCrunch, although the site is currently working through the significant amount of leaked material to decipher more about its features and functionality.

Article Link: Facebook Prepping New Photo Sharing App for iPhone (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/15/facebook-prepping-new-photo-sharing-app-for-iphone/)

Northgrove
Jun 15, 2011, 09:46 AM
And not an official app to post even a single status update yet for iPad. Come on Facebook... For now, I'm sticking with MyPad. As for this - an obvious social camera app competitor. We'll see how it goes. Personally I think it's kind of redundant in Facebook's case. I can already easily see and share photos/galleries with people on Facebook with their app. Besides on iPad of course.

mms13
Jun 15, 2011, 10:01 AM
Oh great, I can't wait to have a SECOND buggy facebook app on my phone! Seriously, can't they fix their official iPhone app first? So many issues with it...crashes on the daily for me.

haruhiko
Jun 15, 2011, 10:05 AM
They lost big time on integration with iPhone to Twitter and now what? They magically transform into an Instagram copy-cat! :eek:

NAG
Jun 15, 2011, 10:42 AM
They lost big time on integration with iPhone to Twitter and now what? They magically transform into an Instagram copy-cat! :eek:

Facebook has been copying everyone else for ages. They want to be the walmart of social networking, for whatever reason. I don't understand why they think they can be all things to all people.

nagromme
Jun 15, 2011, 11:19 AM
It may well be a great app, and a welcome one to have; but I’d rather have ONE app for each service. (Adobe! I’m looking at you!) They could build this into the main FB app, in other words.

And make that combined app Universal already :o

Luckily I almost never use Facebook (and thus have no complaints about the current FB app, other than friend avatars not always showing up).

TonyC28
Jun 15, 2011, 11:20 AM
Oh great, I can't wait to have a SECOND buggy facebook app on my phone! Seriously, can't they fix their official iPhone app first? So many issues with it...crashes on the daily for me.

Exactly!!

strabes
Jun 15, 2011, 11:33 AM
Sorry about this rant: Facebook's horrible iPhone app crashes literally every time I open it. It's the worst app on my phone. In fact, it has caused me to switch almost entirely to twitter for sharing things. Why would I waste my time battling the facebook iPhone app to do something as simple as upload a photo (which fails >50% of the time anyway) when I can do it in twitter 10x faster and still have the same thing posted to facebook because my two accounts are connected? Keep alienating your users facebook. The sooner you die the better.

notjustjay
Jun 15, 2011, 12:48 PM

+1

Agreed. I like the Facebook iPhone app in principle but it is full of bugs. Using it is like working with a small hyperactive child.

App: You have a new message!
Me: Cool. Show me the new message.
App: What new message?

Arrgh.

bb426
Jun 15, 2011, 12:48 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/534.32 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Wow. I thought one buggy Facebook app was enough.

They can't even update their MAIN app to work right!

Back to Safari for Facebook.

ratzzo
Jun 15, 2011, 12:49 PM
I haven't used the facebook app much as I prefer the web version, but during my use I really haven't noticed it to run buggy as you all keep insisting :confused:

MacGeek50
Jun 15, 2011, 01:34 PM
What are they doing messing around with this "Photo Sharing " app when their main app has so many bugs in it!?!? :confused:

notjustjay
Jun 15, 2011, 01:57 PM
I haven't used the facebook app much as I prefer the web version, but during my use I really haven't noticed it to run buggy as you all keep insisting :confused:

I've seen a variety of little piddly things that add up over time.

The most common is that the notification screen will tell me that I have a new comment, like, or meesage. I'll tap on it to take me to the photo or post where the new comment is supposed to be. It'll show me, but I won't see the new comment. If I go back to the notifications list, refresh it, then go back to the post or photo, then I'll see the new comment. This is consistent.

Sometimes I'll tap the notification to view someone's comment and it stalls out while trying to load. Accessing the comment by way of the News Feed works fine, but it always stalls from the Notification screen.

Another one is I'll see a little popup at the bottom of the screen that says "Joe just commented on your photo". OK, so I tap on it to bring up the notification screen. I expect to see this new notification at the top of the list, but no, it's still showing me what my LAST new notification was. Then it goes out to the network, refreshes, and THEN (usually) comes up with the new notification that Joe just commented on my photo. But wait, didn't you know that already? Because you popped it up earlier. Why did you have to go out and reload/refresh while I was watching the screen? Why couldn't you have updated the screen before I looked at it so I would have seen the latest data as soon as I pulled up the Notifications list?

Perhaps the notifications come from one server and the data comes from another, and one of them just gets updated slower than the other? I don't know. That's why it always feels like the app is telling me "you've got new data!" and then when I ask for it, it says "I dunno, what new data?"

Sometimes it randomly drops people's names and starts calling them "Facebook User" with a default photo. Scares me into thinking maybe I got blocked or they deleted their account.

Multiple random crashes too, just for fun.

vnowarita
Jun 15, 2011, 02:50 PM
Around the world...Around the world...Around the world....Around the world

Snypod
Jun 15, 2011, 03:23 PM

Seriously. I can't even scroll in my news feed without the app crashing most of the time. Worst app on the iPhone.

jonnysods
Jun 15, 2011, 03:34 PM
My preference is that they would get rid of the bugs in the iPhone FB app.

Gosh it stinks.

caspersoong
Jun 16, 2011, 01:37 AM
Hope iOS 5 integration with Facebook becomes true as was suggested in the code.

frunkis54
Jun 16, 2011, 12:14 PM
Hope iOS 5 integration with Facebook becomes true as was suggested in the code.

has apple and FB worked out their differences since PING?

Danbrown521
Jun 19, 2011, 11:12 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Wish that Facebook could be intergrated like twitter! That's would be amazing. The app is buggy. Can be really frustrating to work with.

paulcdb
Jun 19, 2011, 01:40 PM
I think the trouble with the Facebook app is it now seems to just be a wrapper for the website rather than a app which pulls the data to display.

Not sure if it's always been like that, or if it's been changed so its easier to build iOS and android apps but I really don't see it being that hard to build a decent apps!

roadbloc
Jun 19, 2011, 05:37 PM
They need to fix the Facebook app first before starting other endeavours.

FinalShizzle
Jun 24, 2011, 11:50 AM
Yes, it doesn't work properly, but it also looks like crap. And they must have about 20 people working on the UI & design...