PDA

View Full Version : [Resolved] What speakers should I get?

The.316
Jun 15, 2011, 10:04 AM
I want to upgrade my 2.1 Logitech's I have, but I dont know which ones to go with. I love music (about 25gb worth), and I enjoy movies and videos as well. I am not a professional by any means, but I do enjoy messing around with tunes. I was deciding between these:

M-Audio AV 40s
B&W MM-1s
HK Soundstick IIIs

I was looking at something a bit cheaper as well, like the Creative T40 Series II speakers as well, but I dont really have a clue. There isnt a place here where I live where I can go and listen to them, so Im pretty much going by what I have read so far. And if the sound quality is good, I wouldnt die if it wasnt a 2.1 system. The Logitech's bass is ridiculous, even with the bass dial turned down. Thoughts?

Krafty
Jun 15, 2011, 10:43 AM
What is your main genre of music? I'm going from the Z-5500 to the Swan M10's.

The.316
Jun 15, 2011, 11:15 AM
What is your main genre of music? I'm going from the Z-5500 to the Swan M10's.

Everything to be honest. My genre in itunes consists of: pop, hip hop, classical, greek, rock, dance, reggae, 70s, 80s, country, opera, etc.

I was thinking about the Swan M10s too, forgot to mention them. I want something that wont take up THAT much space too, and I think the speakers I have mentioned are good for me, size wise.

dj-anon
Jun 15, 2011, 01:31 PM
I won't suggest or recommend specific speakers, but I will say this:

The M-Audio AV 40 are supposed to be budget monitors for professionals; not only you will need a proper audio interface to connect those, but their sound aims at neutrality, so no boom or wow factor here.

You definitely want consumer speakers in a 2.1 form with 1% of THD.

FroMann
Jun 15, 2011, 03:20 PM
M-Audio AV 40s.

In my own opinion they have the best sound, construction, and look. Most subwoofers that come with computer speakers nowadays are there to cover up how crappy the actual computer speakers sound by pumping out too much bass.

The.316
Jun 16, 2011, 06:27 AM
I won't suggest or recommend specific speakers, but I will say this:

The M-Audio AV 40 are supposed to be budget monitors for professionals; not only you will need a proper audio interface to connect those, but their sound aims at neutrality, so no boom or wow factor here.

You definitely want consumer speakers in a 2.1 form with 1% of THD.

I am so confused, and really have no clue as to which speakers to choose. When you say audio interface, would a TC Elektronic Konnekt 6 do? Or do you have any other suggestions, that might come a bit cheaper?

I think its between the Soundstick IIIs and the AV-40s, but I just dont know which way to go.

The.316
Jun 16, 2011, 08:52 AM
Ended up getting the AV40s. Hope I made the right choice.

dj-anon
Jun 16, 2011, 10:36 AM
If you are talking about this one and already have it:

http://www.tcelectronic.com/Default.asp?Id=13090#impact

then you are fine, you just need to buy a pair of good TRS cables. Otherwise you'll need something like this:

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/FastTrackPro.html