Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jamvan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 16, 2004
Minnesota
With all the talk about subscription services and Napster To Go's ad claiming 10,000 songs for $10,000, I got to wondering what I've actually spent over the course of the last (almost) two years since iTMS became available and what that equated to per song for the number of actual songs that have been downloaded.

Well, with Pepsi promotions, songs of the week, discovery downloads, full album purchases, etc, turns out I'm paying about $0.58 a song. I have 884 songs so you can do the math on what I've spent.

To figure this in terms of CD sales, at an average 11 songs per cd, that's about 80 cd's worth of music in two years time. That's $800 at an average price of $10/cd, so I'd say I'm getting one heckuva deal through the store!

What is everyone else paying? I feel that's not such a bad deal considering the amount of usage these files are getting.

vieoray

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2005
that's an interesting question. looking through my purchased music list, i would say i probably only paid for about half of it -- the other half comprised from free downloads or winning caps from the pepsi promotion. when i do buy from iTunes, i look at it like this: $9.99 is cheaper than a) going to the store and buying an album that will likely be $11.99 or more before figuring in the cost of gas to get to the store and b) the cost of shipping when ordering online.

i figure for every album i buy via iTunes, i probably save at least $2-3. that adds up over time.

Nickygoat

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2004
London
Jamvan said:
Well, with Pepsi promotions, songs of the week, discovery downloads, full album purchases, etc, turns out I'm paying about $0.58 a song. I have 884 songs so you can do the math on what I've spent.

To figure this in terms of CD sales, at an average 11 songs per cd, that's about 80 cd's worth of music in two years time. That's $800 at an average price of $10/cd, so I'd say I'm getting one heckuva deal through the store!

What is everyone else paying? I feel that's not such a bad deal considering the amount of usage these files are getting.
Any UK members want to join in here? 884 songs at $0.58 = $512.72. Divide that by 80 and you get $6.41. At the current exchange rate thats £3.58 per CD. Hmmm. I know this includes free songs but we (nor any other territory) gets Pepsi promotions, nor discovery downloads. My average is nowhere near that nor could I achieve that buying at bargain basement stores. Something fishy? Rip Off Britain? You tell me

JeDiBoYTJ

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2004
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
lets see, I have approx 25 songs in my Purchased Music folder. I have bought, with my own money, around 9 or so of those. the others are thanks to gift cards and Pepsi.... so whats that, $0.36 a song or something? not too bad :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.