PDA

View Full Version : UT 2K4

JzzTrump22
Mar 25, 2005, 04:31 PM
Is Unreal Tournament 2K4 the same as Unreal Championship on xbox? It looks exactly th same.

Phat_Pat
Mar 25, 2005, 05:29 PM
Not at all. UT2k4 have vehicles and alot more to do. Unreal Championship is more like UT2k3

crachoar
Mar 25, 2005, 05:47 PM
Unreal Championship...*cringe*

UT2K4 is a lot better than 2K3 (what 'Championship' was based off of).

However, UT is a dead franchise (hardly any mods left / not many players for the core game) and it has lost of lot of it's personality that made it (the original UT) so popular in the first place. I wouldn't spend a whole lot of money on the game if I were you...

On the upside - UT2K4 offers VoIP (in-game mic communication) as well as 'Onslaught' (which could've been a lot better), which is a vehicle-based 'team assualt' type game which forces players to capture and repair 'nodes'. It's not too bad, but then again, I don't think anything can ever match the fun I had with CTF (+relics) in the original UT. The downside to the UT2K4 vehicles is that they all pretty much suck, except for the aircraft.

Just remember - 'Unreal Championship 2' for Xbox is nothing like the UT you've come to know and love. So don't just assume that since 'Championship 1 = 2K3 / Championship 2 = 2K4'.

JzzTrump22
Mar 25, 2005, 08:46 PM
Ok thanks. I just ordered Unreal Championship for $6 off half.com. I also have Unreal Tournament 2k4 for my mac. So i'll see how they both run. Only downside is i can't play UT2k4 online because my friend gave me a copy of the game, so i don't have a valid serial to play online with. But if i really like it, i might buy it.

Schmittroth
Mar 25, 2005, 09:51 PM
Unreal Championship...*cringe*

However, UT is a dead franchise (hardly any mods left / not many players for the core game) and it has lost of lot of it's personality that made it (the original UT) so popular in the first place. I wouldn't spend a whole lot of money on the game if I were you...

Boy I dunno about that. I play Ut2K4 pretty regularly. I'm almost exclusively VCTF. There's almost always a good game on. Ut2k4 is a great value no matter what considering the TONS of free content you can get for it.

Eevee
Mar 26, 2005, 11:05 AM
Am contemplating about purchasing this game. Heard from the PC people that it's very good! How is it for the mac? The only game I have now on my PB is Halo, which is fun online.

I am downloading the UT 2K4 demo now (will take 3 hrs broadband!!!) and check it out. So based on the emails, it seems like a game worth buying?

Any other fun shooting games? Thanks...

---------------
15" PB, 1.5 Ghz, 2 G RAM, 128 VRAM, 80G HD

JzzTrump22
Mar 26, 2005, 11:10 AM
Am contemplating about purchasing this game. Heard from the PC people that it's very good! How is it for the mac?

The cheapest i saw it for was about $40.

Schmittroth
Mar 26, 2005, 11:17 AM
Am contemplating about purchasing this game. Heard from the PC people that it's very good! How is it for the mac? The only game I have now on my PB is Halo, which is fun online.

If you like Halo online, you'll love Ut2k4 Vehicle CTF. The pace is MUCH faster but can still be strategic (kinda depends on the map). Wait'll you see Blood Gulch with people riding on Manta wings.

Eevee
Mar 26, 2005, 11:45 AM
If you like Halo online, you'll love Ut2k4 Vehicle CTF. The pace is MUCH faster but can still be strategic (kinda depends on the map). Wait'll you see Blood Gulch with people riding on Manta wings.

Whoa!!!! People riding on Manta wings sounds sweet! Maybe I'll get one soon after checking out the demo

Still have 2 hrs to go for downloading the demo online :mad:

Eevee
Mar 26, 2005, 11:46 AM
The cheapest i saw it for was about $40.

Where?

Seems like your PB's spec is similar to mine. How was it on your PB? Any problems? Thanks...

JzzTrump22
Mar 26, 2005, 11:56 AM
It runs really really good. No lag at all. Plus all my setting are betweeen medium and high. It's a really good game to run on a powerbook. I found it on Half.com and ebay.

mrgreen4242
Mar 26, 2005, 01:13 PM
I personally love UT2k4. The graphics are very good, enough so that it is quite immersive, but not intense enough to make it unplayable on older machines. It is fast paced and fun still, I'm not sure why lots of people complain that it is inferior to the older UT games...

As far as UT being a dead franchise, the next gen UT engine is being developed right now, and it looks veyr good, as good as Doom3 from what I have seen so far. I think that when the next generation is released we will see a lot of interest reforming in the UT community.

Runs great on my iMac as well, which is always a plus :)

Eevee
Mar 26, 2005, 01:23 PM
It runs really really good. No lag at all. Plus all my setting are betweeen medium and high. It's a really good game to run on a powerbook. I found it on Half.com and ebay.

Thanks. This is encouraging!!

Finished download, which took 3 hrs.. But now there's an error message!!!
Grr...

Guess I will buy a copy instead.

Schmittroth
Mar 26, 2005, 01:30 PM
Whoa!!!! People riding on Manta wings sounds sweet! Maybe I'll get one soon after checking out the demo

Still have 2 hrs to go for downloading the demo online :mad:

For more about people riding on Manta wings check out http://www.vehiclectf.com/nuke/
vctf.jpg