PDA

View Full Version : Back to School to Start Tomorrow - $100 App Store Gift Card Confirmed

Pages : [1] 2 3

MacRumors
Jun 15, 2011, 04:31 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/15/back-to-school-to-start-tomorrow-100-app-store-gift-card-confirmed/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/06/bts2-500x336.jpg

(http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/06/bts2.jpg)
We've relayed multiple times that the Apple Back to School Promotion would be starting at any minute. Predictions starting kicking a few weeks ago with today even being a possible target date. It seems that we'll finally be seeing it launch tomorrow (June 16th), and we actually have photographic proof of the imminent launch.

The above photos were sent to us by a tipster indicating that the promotion will offer a $100 gift card that can be used in the Mac App Store, iTunes Store, App Store or iBookstore, and that it will launch tomororow.

Article Link: Back to School to Start Tomorrow - $100 App Store Gift Card Confirmed (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/15/back-to-school-to-start-tomorrow-100-app-store-gift-card-confirmed/)

VaBeachKevin
Jun 15, 2011, 04:33 PM
I wonder if the new Macbook Air's will launch tomorrow as well.

davie18
Jun 15, 2011, 04:34 PM
Very disappointing.

tablo13
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

8GB iPod touch to a $100 AppStore gift card??? :rolleyes: That's cheap... at least Microsoft is giving out Xboxes.

Bonch
Need free iPod not free Angry Birds x 100.

strabes
Jun 15, 2011, 04:35 PM
I wonder if the new Macbook Air's will launch tomorrow as well.

God I hope so.

jav6454
For those of dramatic lore... Click Me, then Click the Blue button (http://www.nooooooooooooooo.com/)

For me, idiotic decision beyond anything. One word: Xbox_360!

jimthegreek
Really? A gift card? Sucks hard!

jclardy
Hmm, well not too bad for me since I am getting the 11" air when it updates, but a bit disappointing for my friend who is getting a MBP and was hoping to get his first iPod Touch with it.

Still better than nothing, and since it works in iTunes/App Store/Mac App Store I know i'll end up spending it over the next few months anyways.

maddav
People are going to be pissed.

I for one don't care.

chrono1081
Although the iPod is the better value the $100 app store gift card is nothing to snub at.

Blakjack
Jun 15, 2011, 04:36 PM
Wow it's about to be a lot of angry posts!

wjdennen
I agree, this is disappointing. It's better than nothing, but...

AbyssImpact
No ipad discount!?!!??!!?

Str8edgepunker
Jun 15, 2011, 04:37 PM
Wow, what a jip. I'll take my $50 iPod Classic from last year...

leo.andres.21
Jun 15, 2011, 04:37 PM
Well, if you translate to market price, iPod Touch is a better deal, but if this $100 is well spent, it could help further along your student life, which may help you in the future too. :apple:
I couldn't wait for this and got myself a '11 MBP 2 months back. :apple: :D

fsfikke
Jun 15, 2011, 04:38 PM
So tomorrow for the US, how about the rest of the world?

DTphonehome
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Weak sauce.

iLeW
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8C148a)

Erghhh. That means the MacBook Pro is going to cost me significantly more than I had anticipated, since I was planning on selling the iPod.

bushido
OT: New Lion Built is out

cloroxbleach4
Jun 15, 2011, 04:39 PM
So glad I didn't wait to buy my MBP.

Peteman100
That's pretty lame....

Eduardo1971
I don't understand all this anger as Apple doesn't have to provide buyers with any bonus or incentive. :confused:

Well, if you translate to market price, iPod Touch is a better deal, but if this $100 is well spent, it could help further along your student life, which may help you in the future too. :apple:
I couldn't wait for this and got myself a '11 MBP 2 months back. :apple: :D

11" mbp?!... Somethimg we dont know?

Chiuy
Jun 15, 2011, 04:40 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148a Safari/6533.18.5)

Disappointing... Apple, you're so cheap.
Reconsidering now... meh.

Cougarcat
Wow, glad I didn't wait and got my MBP last summer.

Maybe this is a one-time thing--Apple just wants to push the Mac App store, and next year they'll revert to iPods again.

Maybe.

wikus
That is ridiculously lame.

What made Lord Jobs decide to be so CHEAP this year?

leo.andres.21
11" mbp?!... Somethimg we dont know?

i meant 2011 MBP :rolleyes: hence the '11, not 11" ;)

addicted44
Wow it's about to be a lot of angry posts!

Well, not from Devs, who are going to be thrilled about this.

This is essentially ~50 bucks going from Apple to developers (-30% cut, and assuming about $20 spent on Apple SW).

tredstone
Lame. They take a 30% cut off the App store stuff anyways (not sure about itunes).

flyfish29
Jun 15, 2011, 04:41 PM
So does this mean they won't wait until September for new iPod Touch/iPhones?:D

Wooderson00
Jun 15, 2011, 04:41 PM
Seriously, what's the point? I might as well just buy a refurb.

Chiuy
Jun 15, 2011, 04:42 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148a Safari/6533.18.5)

It's cause They kept us waiting for so long and now they come out with this cheap thing. I would of bought a MacBook pro over a month ago.

Apple Expert
Smart move on apples part. It pushes the Mac App Store and they get a 30% cut from software sales. Days of free iPod might just be gone. :(

NStocks
I think it's great that Apple are giving $100 itunes voucher for free...

Are they still offering the printer promotion alongside this like they did last year? (at least in the UK).

I just hope they don't give UK students £50 as that's the next voucher down from £100...

DeaconGraves
Well, not from Devs, who are going to be thrilled about this.

This is essentially ~50 bucks going from Apple to developers (-30% cut, and assuming about $20 spent on Apple SW).

Good point!

Honestly, I would have preferred this when I bought my mac for school 4 years ago. Seeing that I spent quite a bit on software to get prepared for class.

MagnusF
I don't understand all this anger as Apple doesn't have to provide buyers with any bonus or incentive. :confused:

AMEN!

Most of the guys here are nothing but greedy bit**es

Apple doesnt owe you anything, this is just a BONUS

STOCK411
and really? people need to stop feeling like they are entitled to getting a Ipod touch with it. yes it would be nice, but its not the end of the world

mac1984user

Don't forget - Angry Birds is $4.99 on the Mac App Store, so you'll only get 20 copies of Angry Birds at that rate. I suppose you could go for the iPhone version of the game, but sometimes I think even one copy of Angry Birds is one too many.

I suppose because only 7 per cent of the developers at WWDC said they intended to code for the Mac, Apple feels like it really has to push the Mac App Store. Sorry...my girlfriend loves her 8GB iPod Touch. If she didn't have that, she couldn't spend money in the App Store. Most people seem to want apps for their iDevice, not their Mac. She's never once used the Mac App Store.

Razeus
Jun 15, 2011, 04:44 PM
It's only useable in the Mac App Store? Fail.

Any college student in that needs spreadsheets needs Excel, not Numbers. Keynote and Pages will do fine though.

aughsum
That is ridiculously lame.

What made Lord Jobs decide to be so CHEAP this year?

Bitch bitch bitch.

Waaa.

Ubuntu

Are they still offering the printer promotion alongside this like they did last year? (at least in the UK).

I just hope they don't give UK students £50 as that's the next voucher down from £100...

Good God I hope not! And I do hope they release the less-popular printer rebate, too.

But I wonder, did the Japanese BTS actually include iPods this year, or was that a giftcard too? If its the former I wonder why that is... I mean its probably based on the popularity of the iPod in the US and Japan markets but still...

Cougarcat
Jun 15, 2011, 04:45 PM

That's assuming one buys nothing but Apps with their card...

mr_matalino
$100 gift card in which Apple gets a 30% cut on apps so Apple is only giving out $70 instead of $200. A bit too steep of a cut for those students...

I guess iTunes would be different though.

kirky29
Why does Apple have to give anything extra?

Stop complaining!

NStocks
Jun 15, 2011, 04:46 PM
Good God I hope not! And I do hope they release the less-popular printer rebate, too.

But I wonder, did the Japanese BTS actually include iPods this year, or was that a giftcard too? If its the former I wonder why that is... I mean its probably based on the popularity of the iPod in the US and Japan markets but still...

Just found that the US still get the printer promo: http://www.apple.com/promo/

No promotions are currently running in the UK. Interesting to see what they will offer us (if anything)

Apple Expert
I wonder if resellers like Amazon or Best Buy will do something to match this offer.

Eduardo1971
and really? people need to stop feeling like they are entitled to getting a Ipod touch with it. yes it would be nice, but its not the end of the world

Another Amen!

This thread should be locked as we have an idea what the rest of the responses will be.:o

flyfish29
Jun 15, 2011, 04:47 PM
Lame. They take a 30% cut off the App store stuff anyways (not sure about itunes).

So it seems this promotion costs Apple about the same amount of money vs. the old iPod touch promo....and despite Apple now being able to sell more iPods at retail...the perceived value to customers is WAY LESS! That equals ineffective promotion (at least for a year or two until customers forget and are excited about the iTunes cash...especially those that just sold the 8GB iPod Touch.):D

trip1ex
Jun 15, 2011, 04:49 PM
This ain't going to go down well.

Wonder why the big change.

d0ster
Jun 15, 2011, 04:49 PM
As others have stated, I'm glad I didnt wait, got my MBP last month. For those of you that were looking to sell the ipod to offset the price of a MBP, I suggest checking out a local microcenter near you!

dustinsc
Jun 15, 2011, 04:50 PM

Any college student in that needs spreadsheets needs Excel, not Numbers. Keynote and Pages will do fine though.

Read the fine print. It works in any of Apple's digital stores. Mac App Store, iTunes, App Store, and iBooks. Right there in the photo.

Bitch bitch bitch.

Waaa.

Wooo... Calm yourself down please

bossxii
AMEN!

Most of the guys here are nothing but greedy bit**es

Apple doesnt owe you anything, this is just a BONUS

Agreed 100%.

Anyone buying a $1000+ laptop clearly is not going hungry or lacking in funds to buy a 200 ipod.

If you want free crap, MS is offering up their Xbox 360 with any $600 PC purchase. Enjoy. Clearly showing how valuable they think Xbox's are!

iPadThai
You guys do realize it's FREE right? Free $100 anything is better than Free $0.

Second thought: It is CHEAP of apple to pull this shiznit this time around. Not only do they get 30% cut on the MAC app store apps, but giving back $100 MAC app store specific gift cards is lame. The MAC appstore is not the same as iPod/iPhone/iPad APP STORE - so there aren't that many titles available other than the usual bullshiznit iWork suite.

They (apple) sure know how to cut costs :rolleyes:

Eduardo1971

It's cause They kept us waiting for so long and now they come out with this cheap thing. I would of bought a MacBook pro over a month ago.

Chill. "They kept us waiting for so long.."? Apple did not force you to withold your purchase; you did that onto yourself.

Jeez, the air of entitlement around here...

tann
Jun 15, 2011, 04:51 PM

I read on the other post in the comments that someone said they had just had a lot of £65 cards in that they'd never seen before, so that may be what we UK people get.

I don't think that we should be too upset about it, they never said at any point that they would always give us free ipods (or money off ipods). $100 on the app store is a nice thing too! Get some nice apps :D.

You could always sell the giftcard/give it away as well. I'm sure it'd fetch upwards of 85-90$ if shipping was good.

ArtOfWarfare
I can't beleive no one has mentioned this part yet:

Apple gets $30 of that $100.

Edit: Whoops, guess several people beat me to it.

Ubuntu
Just found that the US still get the printer promo: http://www.apple.com/promo/

No promotions are currently running in the UK. Interesting to see what they will offer us (if anything)
I would find the printer far more useful than the giftcard, even if the giftcard was £100. Last time I checked there was nothing I needed on the Mac App store. I'd just buy software I'll rarely use... just because I can.

oghowie
Wow this is pretty sad.

bjett92
Jun 15, 2011, 04:52 PM

I'm guessing your college already gives you huge discounts on software, maybe even free. Adobe CS5 and MS Office are both free where I go to school.

einmusiker
What a joke. I had advized a student to wait for the b2s offer but will now tell him to go ahead and get a pc and xbox

shanmugam
the one who invested in Apple stock and the one who did not invest in Apple Stock :D

better be there is a reason for this, maybe better educational discount or iPod touch going to be discontinued in September

among all the iPod touches the latest gen are the ones are very close iPhone 4, damn the back to school promotion

old-school
Jun 15, 2011, 04:53 PM
It's still free.

mrow
Jun 15, 2011, 04:53 PM
...Sorry...my girlfriend loves her 8GB iPod Touch. If she didn't have that, she couldn't spend money in the App Store. Most people seem to want apps for their iDevice, not their Mac. She's never once used the Mac App Store.

Ditto, my girlfriend uses her iPod touch she got last year for free all the time. She didn't even know the Mac App Store existed until I mentioned it a week or two ago and she regularly updates her software.

This is really a cheap and non forward looking move on Apple's part. I know they want to promote the Mac App Store but iOS is the future and this promotion got iOS devices into tons of peoples hands. I know lots of people that carry around an iPod Touch in addition to their cell phones, even people with Android devices because they like iOS so much better and the iPhone either isn't or wasn't available on their network.

Hopefully the backlash is either big enough they change this or at the very least they switch back to it next year.

reallynotnick
Jun 15, 2011, 04:54 PM
$100 gift card in which Apple gets a 30% cut on apps so Apple is only giving out $70 instead of $200. A bit too steep of a cut for those students...

While I am disappointed as everyone else is, you have to take into account they do make money off the iPod Touch so they weren't really giving away $200, probably more like $150 or something. Not that it really makes this a great deal, just wanted to point that out.

stefmesman

what do you think they pay for making one ipod touch ;)?

OT: am i still eligible to get this 100 coupon if i haven't received my mac yet? i ordered last tuesday, and its still shipping...

juicedropsdeuce
Although the iPod is the better value the $100 app store gift card is nothing to snub at.

Yes it is. Apple is actually only paying $70 to you since they get back 30% of that $100. It would be better if it were an Apple gift card you could spend on hardware, not their software distribution monopoly.

haydn!
Jun 15, 2011, 04:56 PM
Part of me thinks this could mean Apple will be pushing back the iPod refresh clearing room for an iPhone centric quarter. But. Would Apple risk not refreshing one of their most popular lines before the holidays? Or maybe they will a little later, say October/November, without a 'Music' event.

zinynano

Second thought: It is CHEAP of apple to pull this shiznit this time around. Not only do they get 30% cut on the MAC app store apps, but giving back $100 MAC app store specific gift cards is lame. The MAC appstore is not the same as iPod/iPhone/iPad APP STORE - so there aren't that many titles available other than the usual bullshiznit iWork suite.

Doesn't the fine print say you can use it on the App/iTunes/iBook Store in addition to the Mac App Store?

STOCK411
Another Amen!

This thread should be locked as we have an idea what the rest of the responses will be.:o

yup.... apple is giving you 100 dollars. what was M$ giving before this?

people act like apple has to give them a free ipod touch? they dont have to give anything, and they are giving you something... people here are way to greedy, and if you look at some of the Labtop's M$ is selling, some that come with the 360 are more expensive then if you bought it before the 360 sale

Carlanga
If anything I would have preferred it to be an Apple Gift Card instead of an App Store Gift Card so I can buy actual hardware, be accessories, iPad or an iPod....

Chupa Chupa
Jun 15, 2011, 04:57 PM

Where do you live that the youth do not have such an über-entitlement? I want to move there. Some of the grousers fail to understand that people who bought a machine last week get nothing but the machine they bought.

TheJing
Think I could go ask for a free Gift card if I bought my Macbook Pro today?

something3153
Why does Apple have to give anything extra?

Stop complaining!

On the flip side, if I don't like what Apple's offering, I don't have to give them any of my money. So... stop complaining that people don't like Apple's deal!

YumChickens
This is sad. Not because of what they announced, but the sense of entitlement people think they deserve. Look, when you buy a Mac, you're probably gonna need to buy Word or iWork, that costs near 100 dollars doesn't it? This community is acting completely self centered, as they are disregarding a huge portion of people who buy or want to buy Apple products. I am going to need to buy Word or iWork, which will cost around 100 dollars, therefore I am thankful for this Back to School promotion?

Don't like my post? Well I'll sleep tonight regardless of what you think :)

iMerik
My soon-to-buy iMac will be my first Mac. I'm actually pleased with this $100 Mac App Store gift card. I have several apps in mind that I already planned on purchasing, so this means most (or probably all) will be free now.

It doesn't matter if Apple takes back a cut of the $100. It's still worth $100 to us!

I would have liked an iPod Touch, but I'll be fine with just getting an iPhone 4S/5 when the time comes.

Thanks Apple!

trip1ex
Jun 15, 2011, 04:58 PM
Minor point, but please stop the stupid "it's only costing Apple $70 now vs $200 before" argument as if Apple isn't getting a nice cut from each Ipod Touch and as if the Mac App store doesn't cost anything to run.

wikus
I have NO use at all for the gift card as I dont own and dont plan on owning an iphone, ipod OR an ipad.

What good is this 'bonus' to me? Why don't they just slash $100 bucks off my next purchase...?

juicedropsdeuce
Wonder why the big change.

It's called the market leader acting like the market leader. You know what that eventually leads to. For all that Jobs cried like a baby about Gates, looks like he does a great impression of him.

NightFox
Jun 15, 2011, 04:59 PM

Apple make a profit on a $200 iPod Touch too, so they were never 'giving out' $200 if you're going to look at it based on what it actually costs them.

ps45

Not to you, or me, or anyone who might consider registering with a site that follows every bit of mac related gossip, but it would be terribly naive to think that incentives have no impact on a significant proportion of their potential student market.

roland.g
I would have taken $200 towards an iPad as I plan to buy one as a gift, would have been a nice break there. But I can always use the iTunes/App Store money. Now all I need to do is start my MBA program so that I can get the discount on a new Mac.

old-school
So what if Apple keeps 30%? You're getting 100%, who gives a **** what Apple can and cannot afford to lose. They're a business. Anything free is a bonus.

wikus
My soon-to-buy iMac will be my first Mac. I'm actually pleased with this $100 Mac App Store gift card. I have several apps in mind that I already planned on purchasing, so this means most (or probably all) will be free now.

It doesn't matter if Apple takes back a cut of the $100. It's still worth $100 to us!

I would have liked an iPod Touch, but I'll be fine with just getting an iPhone 4S/5 when the time comes.

Thanks Apple!

Want another? I'll sell you my gift card when I get it.

gkarris
Jun 15, 2011, 05:00 PM
Most people I know that took advantage of the deal already had an iPod/iPhone so they sold them to someone else.

I have a feeling Apple knew this, hence only a GC from now on...

Good for Apple - not letting anybody push them around!!!

:D

DaGreat01
I bet most of the people complaing right now weren't even planning on buying a MacBook during the promotion anyway.

There are thousands of people that buy Macs with ZERO free add-ons the other 8 months out of the year...

Relax :rolleyes:

shanmugam
This is sad. Not because of what they announced, but the sense of entitlement people think they deserve. Look, when you buy a Mac, you're probably gonna need to buy Word or iWork, that costs near 100 dollars doesn't it? This community is acting completely self centered, as they are disregarding a huge portion of people who buy or want to buy Apple products. I am going to need to buy Word or iWork, which will cost around 100 dollars, therefore I am thankful for this Back to School promotion?

Don't like my post? Well I'll sleep tonight regardless of what you think :)

you mean like Apple Entitled to 35% profit margin on all the product ...

they are making enough profits, these not the time cut some promotion, after all the these for the back to school folks not for everyone...

bjett92
People are being ridiculous. I'm buying a new MacBook because that's the computer I want. I'm not going to buy something else because they have a better freebie. I would rather have a gift card to spend on apps and music than on an iPod that I already have. Apple doesn't owe anybody here anything.

jclardy

Please note: these are NOT mac app store specific. The back of the card says it can be used in the Mac App Store, iTunes Store, iOS App Store and the iBookstore.

Eduardo1971
Jun 15, 2011, 05:01 PM
What a joke. I had advized a student to wait for the b2s offer but will now tell him to go ahead and get a pc and xbox

Huh? I don't understand this 'logic'. 'Advized'?

Never mind...

dlimes13
Jun 15, 2011, 05:01 PM
Very disappointing. At least an Apple Store gift card would have been better than just an iTunes/App Store gift card. We want hardware, not software!

shanmugam
Jun 15, 2011, 05:02 PM
It's called the market leader acting like the market leader. You know what that eventually leads to. For all that Jobs cried like a baby about Gates, looks like he does a great impression of him.

Latest apple invention "Billions not enough"

where is the updates to Mac Mini, MacBook, Mac Pro ... but there are too many stories about retail stores and apple HQ

i am not sure apple is focusing much on the product aka Mac products.

juicedropsdeuce
Jun 15, 2011, 05:03 PM
Please note: these are NOT mac app store specific. The back of the card says it can be used in the Mac App Store, iTunes Store, iOS App Store and the iBookstore.

false

wikus
I bet most of the people complaing right now weren't even planning on buying a MacBook during the promotion anyway.

Relax :rolleyes:

I was, I've been holding off for a macbook for over a month. This is a huge disappointment. I would have been better off skipping on the gift card and having my macbook in class already as im a summer semester starting student.

d0minick
count me in as 1 of those happy to have bought the 2011 MBP earlier.

While 100$ is better then nothing, it does not compare to an ipod.

acidblue
Jun 15, 2011, 05:04 PM
Title should say it all. I am really curious to know if all the people who are complaining about the $100 gift card are students or have children who are students. Perhaps another iPod is not what people most are looking for. So many people have iPhones and iPods, especially if you are a Mac user. So, the promotion is just different. It helps promote developers, the app store and helps to get those apps on those new computers.

It's funny that Microsoft has to actually give an XBox to promote their OS. As an aside, isn't a game console the last thing a student should be concered about? An entire campus of XBoxes? Not to mention that a game is $60+ dollars. So, if money is tight then getting a console is probably not the best deciding factor for getting a cheap (well, at least $699), low rent, power guzzling notebook with no real software to be used.

Just another opinion, as is with any forum.

And yes, I am a bit of a fanboy (within reason).

Kflik
Jun 15, 2011, 05:04 PM
No longer worth it for some to purchase from apple retail store.

Information on AppleInsider.com suggests you will actually be better off purchasing your MAC from a 3rd party seller than the apple store, even with the new promotion.

I was awaiting the promotion because with the student discount and the BTS promotion I was looking at about a $300.00 discount to the original price of my iMac (27" 2.7 @ $1700). With the student discount you are down to a $1600 price tag, with the free iPod which I would have sold to a friend for $200 ($30 dollars cheaper than retail price), I was looking at paying a total of $1400 for a 27" 2.7 sandy bridge iMac which is the cheapest you can possibly get the price down to no matter where you shop.

Problem is apple retail also adds tax, in Ohio I have a 6.5% sales tax which would add about 103 dollars to my total. Without the Ipod being offered I am now looking at a total price of about $1700. (minus student discount but adding tax). With tax before I would have been at $1500.

3rd party sellers offer this same iMac free shipping and printer rebate that matches apples for $1579. There will be no tax in my situation, so by ordering online I will actually save about $120. PLUS im guessing some of the 3rd party resellers will offer some sort of deal/match for the $100.00 itunes gift card apple is giving (if you handle the sale correctly).

Shopping at apple will actually be more expensive so if you are in the market make sure you check out pricing guides at www.appleinsider.com and consider sales tax into your purchase IF you are choosing to purchase at the physical store and maybe you too will not purchase from apple and save some money by going through macmall or a seller like it! Hope this helps some people!

NightFox
Jun 15, 2011, 05:05 PM
Maybe Apple just feel that they no longer need to offer free iPod Touches to sell Macs to students?

WestonHarvey1
Jun 15, 2011, 05:06 PM
What an injustice!

Haha. These negative reactions really are hilarious. Apple obviously doesn't need to push more iPods into the marketplace. There's enough critical mass of Macs, iPads, iPhones, and iPod Touches that it makes a lot more sense to start pushing more software and media consumption.

$100 goes a long way in the iTunes/iBooks/App/Mac App stores.

jimsowden
Jun 15, 2011, 05:06 PM
There is no legal way to avoid paying sales tax. You just aren't being forced to claim it at the time of purchase.

No longer worth it for some to purchase from apple retail store.

Information on AppleInsider.com suggests you will actually be better off purchasing your MAC from a 3rd party seller than the apple store, even with the new promotion.

I was awaiting the promotion because with the student discount and the BTS promotion I was looking at about a $300.00 discount to the original price of my iMac (27" 2.7 @ $1700). With the student discount you are down to a $1600 price tag, with the free iPod which I would have sold to a friend for $200 ($30 dollars cheaper than retail price), I was looking at paying a total of $1400 for a 27" 2.7 sandy bridge iMac which is the cheapest you can possibly get the price down to no matter where you shop.

Problem is apple retail also adds tax, in Ohio I have a 6.5% sales tax which would add about 103 dollars to my total. Without the Ipod being offered I am now looking at a total price of about $1700. (minus student discount but adding tax). With tax before I would have been at $1500.

3rd party sellers offer this same iMac free shipping and printer rebate that matches apples for $1579. There will be no tax in my situation, so by ordering online I will actually save about $120. PLUS im guessing some of the 3rd party resellers will offer some sort of deal/match for the $100.00 itunes gift card apple is giving (if you handle the sale correctly).

Shopping at apple will actually be more expensive so if you are in the market make sure you check out pricing guides at www.appleinsider.com and consider sales tax into your purchase IF you are choosing to purchase at the physical store and maybe you too will not purchase from apple and save some money by going through macmall or a seller like it! Hope this helps some people!

Cougarcat
Jun 15, 2011, 05:07 PM
false

Please read the post:

the promotion will offer a $100 gift card that can be used in the Mac App Store, iTunes Store, App Store or iBookstore, and that it will launch tomororow.

Apple's codes are store-ignostic. It's tied to your AppleID, that's all.

Obi-Wan Kubrick
I'm disappointed but it does make sense. I mean if you don't have an iPod Touch or iPhone by now then you really don't want one most likely.

However, I don't have either and would much prefer the iPod Touch but I can see why Apple made the switch.

lesyork
false

Umm, true?

vomer
So glad I didn't wait to buy my MBP.

same! and for people that are bitching... at least you get something. Be happy.

DaGreat01
Jun 15, 2011, 05:08 PM
Title should say it all. I am really curious to know if all the people who are complaining about the $100 gift card are students or have children who are students. Perhaps another iPod is not what people most are looking for. So many people have iPhones and iPods, especially if you are a Mac user. So, the promotion is just different. It helps promote developers, the app store and helps to get those apps on those new computers.

It's funny that Microsoft has to actually give an XBox to promote their OS. As an aside, isn't a game console the last thing a student should be concered about? An entire campus of XBoxes? Not to mention that a game is $60+ dollars. So, if money is tight then getting a console is probably not the best deciding factor for getting a cheap (well, at least $699), low rent, power guzzling notebook with no real software to be used.

That's what I'm saying....

juicedropsdeuce
Jun 15, 2011, 05:08 PM

This says it all! Well stated, sir.

fleshman03
Jun 15, 2011, 05:09 PM
Dislike!

I wasn't in the market for a new MBP but if I was, I wouldn't go to Apple for it now.

wikus
Jun 15, 2011, 05:09 PM
same! and for people that are bitching... at least you get something. Be happy.

If I can sell the card, sure. Otherwise, its completely useless and may as well not take advantage of the promotion at all, I have no intention of ever using an iOS product or the app store.

iphone1105
Jun 15, 2011, 05:11 PM
If I can sell the card, sure. Otherwise, its completely useless and may as well not take advantage of the promotion at all, I have no intention of ever using an iOS product or the app store.

You just seem to want to whine....then don't get in on the deal??? you can get a mac anytime you know, hell you can get it during this deal and throw the card in their faces....they don't owe you anything bro:D

wikus
Can the gift cards at least be sold to someone else and have the new owner use the $100 in their account?

WestonHarvey1

So that means you're never upgrading to Lion, then?

Why are you even getting a new Mac?

shaynes
To all those complaining about Apple taking 30% of the $100 gift card, what are you even talking about? Have you ever heard of a gift card?

If Wal-Mart gave you a $100 gift card, do you think that costs them $100 from their bottom line? Of course not, they just lose the wholesale cost of whatever you buy for your $100. Probably something like $80 (I am just estimating, I really have no idea the margins Wal-Mart has).

Apple does not get $30 for every $100 you spend at the app store using the free gift card they give you. Just think about it for a second, because it makes zero sense.

Marbel
BAD APPLE!
Seriously no iPod's!? Now Microsoft got this year big deal with a free XBOX with a Dell purchase. Apple has to change the $100 card for mayb a $100 discount on a iPod touch or iPad!

macsamillionjoe
I'm more pissed about Apple's complacency about their products.. Apple should focus on getting their damn products up to today's standards.. The mac mini, macbook, and airs should not have C2D in today's world!! Refresh the products already or cut the prices, they are just ripping people off....:(

Cybbe
Jun 15, 2011, 05:12 PM

Oh yes, Apple was of course buying those iPods at face value last year.

wikus
Jun 15, 2011, 05:12 PM
You just seem to want to whine....then don't get in on the deal??? you can get a mac anytime you know, hell you can get it during this deal and throw the card in their faces....they don't owe you anything bro:D

Read my previous comment.

Thanks for assuming.

igal2k
Jun 15, 2011, 05:13 PM
if i bought MBP 10 days ago will i be still able to receive this 100$ ?? because its less then 14 days?

angryshortguy
Best Buy matched the $999 price at Micro Center.
I also got the BB points on my card for another $20 in BB bonus bucks.
Can't imagine why Apple is coming out with this offer.
Not a reason for me to switch to MS, but a disappointment none the less.

juicedropsdeuce
Who is in charge of the gift cards at Apple? The whole concept is flawed. How elegant it is to enter some huge 40 digit code in order to have the privilege of spending money in iTunes. 1993 called, they want their promotional strategy back. :rolleyes:

1986alexander
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

What about if I return my laptop after I receive my gift card?

eXistance360
This is garbage and anybody saying the xbox promotion is worst or not needed is the biggest fanboy ever. Point is cash value, resale or keep. We are getting 150-200 less value out of this crappy ass deal.

wikus
So that means you're never upgrading to Lion, then?

Why are you even getting a new Mac?

I'm upgrading when Expose acts like it does in Snow Leopard and Lion gets full TRIM support for SSDs other than crappy apple branded toshibas.

Quick to judge, arent you?

acslater017
Jun 15, 2011, 05:14 PM

I don't doubt your personal needs, but it really makes more sense for most STUDENTS to get a Mac App Store card than an iPod. Get some writing apps, iWork, Photoshop-ish apps, organization apps, etc. It's much more practical than plopping an iPod in their lap.

Students already get about $100 off. Combined, they're getting $200 worth, with no credential check or anything! They should be happy... (This, from someone who took advantage of the back-to-school deal twice his life)

DaGreat01

Yet you want an iPod Touch so bad......................

Yes you can sell it, but did Apple add the iPod to the deal so people can sell them, i dont think so. It's a business, and they made a smart business move.

pgiguere1
Most of people complaining were going to sell the iPod to get money instead. That's not what Apple wanted, otherwise they would have given a bigger student discount, not free iPods.

Their original goal was to put iPods in the hands of students who were not originally going to buy one. Then they could make an iTunes account to spend on music and apps, which are more profitable to Apple than the iPod themselves anyway.

If everybody just buy the Mac and resell the iPod on craigslist, they sell it to people that likely were going to buy one anyway (so they lose the profit of the hardware sale), plus if these people are cheap enough to get through the trouble of buying someone else's brand new iPod through craigslist to save money, they probably pirate music, too.

Now, instead, this forces you to actually use iTunes or the App Store. I bet most of people that will be getting those gift cards don't have an iTunes account already, so they'll make one, spend the 100$ and learn how the Mac App Store and such work.

After the 100$, they will be more likely to come back to iTunes / Mac App Store since they now already have an account and know how it works.

Apple then fulfills their original goal again: Making you spend on content.

SouthPhillyPT
Jun 15, 2011, 05:15 PM
Disappointing! I was hoping they would still offer a free iPod Touch. After all, Apple has reported financial earnings and not losses!

gkarris
Jun 15, 2011, 05:16 PM
Record profits in today's Economy....

Camping out and long lines for their products...

Celebrations at their retail store openings...

Apple needs a rebate program? :eek:

:rolleyes:

acslater017
I'm disappointed but it does make sense. I mean if you don't have an iPod Touch or iPhone by now then you really don't want one most likely.

However, I don't have either and would much prefer the iPod Touch but I can see why Apple made the switch.

Yes, Apple is no longer simply trying to get people into the iPod ecosystem. If they're just entering college, some may have had an iPod since middle school! :rolleyes:

An iPod is hardly the novelty it used to be.

WestonHarvey1
I'm upgrading when Expose acts like it does in Snow Leopard and Lion gets full TRIM support for SSDs other than crappy apple branded toshibas.

Quick to judge, arent you?

Was just pointing out that you have to use the App Store to upgrade.

crush500
Jun 15, 2011, 05:17 PM
If you don't like it don't buy it. If people really want to send Apple the message that they don't like it they won't buy it. If sales aren't as strong as they usually are during the Back to School promotion Apple will take notice. Bitching on the message boards does nothing. Go into an Apple store or contact Apple directly and let them know that there Back to School promotion is disappointing and won't get your business.

I for one actually prefer the $100 App Store Gift Card. I never wanted or needed an Ipod. I wasn't planning on taking advantage of the Back to School sale until I heard it was going to be a $100 App Store card. It'll save me money where as the Ipod never was going to save me money. For some it is a better deal. For others who were probably planning on selling the Ipod it isn't. I do feel sorry for the crowd out there who genuinely wanted the Ipod to use. It's a tough break but the Ipod was never promised. Most people just expected it.

Honestly I think Apple made this decision for two reasons. One, they are trying to promote the App Store. Secondly, people were abusing the Ipod deal and simply using it to get a free Ipod and then turn around and sell it. Apple wasn't seeing any of that money. Now this way they can promote the App Store and get their 30% cut for it. Smart business if you ask me.

wikus
Yet you want an iPod Touch so bad......................

Yes you can sell it, but did Apple add the iPod to the deal so people can sell them, i dont think so. It's a business, and they made a smart business move.

If I had an ipod touch i'd use it (or sell it) and actually be able to take advantage of a gift card.

Either way, I don't need you (like steve jobs) what products or services i need to take advantage of. Another showing of the arrogance of the iCult.

bjett92
Disappointing! I was hoping they would still offer a free iPod Touch. After all, Apple has reported financial earnings and not losses!

Exactly! People are still going to buy Apple products even without a free iPod Touch. I don't think Steve is too worried that he's driving people away without an iPod giveaway.

wikus
Jun 15, 2011, 05:18 PM
Was just pointing out that you have to use the App Store to upgrade.

Who said the app store will be the only way to upgrade?

DJJAZZYJET
Jun 15, 2011, 05:18 PM
just my luck, 1 year late :(

aluren
Jun 15, 2011, 05:19 PM
I can see the complaints since it is alot less than what we got every year in the past. Yes we got $100, but we can sell the iPod touch and get $200. But in the end, if you're spending that much money, a $100 difference shouldn't matter THAT much. Those in the market should feel good that they got an extra $100 in gift card.

Perhaps Apple is taking all the iPod touches and putting in an A5 chip and that'll be the next iPod update, hence not offering that to us to clear inventory.

KylePowers
I'll admit, I've been waiting for this deal forever. I was looking forward to the iPod Touch, so that I could sell it... But it's okay. I already have an iPhone 4 and an iPad 2... And I already bought my girlfriend an iPod Touch awhile ago. And my mom already has an iPhone 4... And my dad an Android phone. So really, yeah, I was just going to sell it.

I think at this point, I would have preferred maybe a free Apple TV or a choice from an assortment of Mac/iPhone/iPad accessories.

Honest question: This will be my first Mac, so what apps would you guys recommend? I can already get a lot of software for dirt cheap from my university, so anything Mac Store only? Thanks!

27in base iMac with education discount from a tax-less state, here I come n_n

WestonHarvey1

Apple.

LastLine

Agreed - whilst the general consumer might go 'ooooh shiny iPod' the (sensible) student goes "Damn, that's $100 I don't need to spend on books/software as I already have an iPod/MP3/iPhone/Zune/Whatever"

Honestly - I'd take the gift card personally.

At the end of the day, it's an incentive, it's a gift, it's not a right, it's a privilege.

bruinsrme

I know what you mean. Sure with the xbox you can opt to play games and have a social gathering, act as a media server, watch movies, Netflix and so on.
A $100 gift card is far more academically responsible.
Hp laptop, xbox and an iPad2 ( or $500 of software at acedmic prices )for the same price as an mbp.

bjett92

Steve Jobs.

Variant
If they wanted more people using Apple's digital stores, they should have given away Apple TVs. Would have been a MUCH better idea. I really have no use for $100 in Apple DL.

LadyCiel
Jun 15, 2011, 05:20 PM
I desperately need a new laptop and came to the decision BEFORE knowing anything about student back to school sale that I wanted a MBP. Great. Then a friend says "hey, um, the free ipod deal is probably starting soon if you can wait." Then it's like Christmas is coming, and the ipod was the stocking stuffer that made the rest of Christmas awesome (i.e. an accessory that unleashes the power of something else). THEN the keynote played out, and MBP + touch + free icloud had me drooling because, as a system, it could do so much a PC can't.

Enter: disappointment. Do I realize apple doesn't HAVE to give us anything? Of course. Do I feel entitled? No. Is it a normal human emotion to feel disappointment after months/weeks of dreaming/excitement based on a pattern of promotions with no evidence to suggest an upcoming change? YES.

Also, my school's app prices for iWork, office, etc all beat every other price I've found, so from a money standpoint there's little motivation to get them through the app store. The $100 will let me get music and apps I might have otherwise skipped out on, so that's nice and appreciated, but it will be quite a while before I can justify to myself the money required to buy an ipod touch and really take advantage of everything Lion and iOS5, when they come out, could offer me.

C0LUMBIA
Yessss! Finally I can get my shiny new MacBook Pro! I don't care what it is, as long as it's freeeeee! wooooo. Free software! hehe :D

Goodbye Microsoft!

STOCK411

umm it is

VPrime
Was hoping for a discounted iPad2.. Oh well, I will just use this $100 for some apps and books.

iAAPL
If they aren't going to give us what is essentially a $200 discount (if you play your cards right), they should at least give us a $200 iTunes Card instead. They will take at least $60 right off the top. Most people will probably buy iWork, which is $60, which would guarantee Apple at least $106 out of that $200.

gmans46
is there games like cod 4 on the mac app store?

spacepower7
Jun 15, 2011, 05:21 PM
Is it a rebate, or do I walk out with the gift card?

Also, if I buy and iMac now and a MBA in August, can I get two gift cards? I know you could not for the iPod promos.

smartalic34
Well, better late than never, and better $100 gift card than nothing, I guess...

I was really hoping for a free iPod Touch (working with an iPod Mini here!) but oh well... at least I'll have a brand new 13" MBP! :)

STOCK411
Most of people complaining were going to sell the iPod to get money instead. That's not what Apple wanted, otherwise they would have given a bigger student discount, not free iPods.

Their original goal was to put iPods in the hands of students who were not originally going to buy one. Then they could make an iTunes account to spend on music and apps, which are more profitable to Apple than the iPod themselves anyway.

If everybody just buy the Mac and resell the iPod on craigslist, they sell it to people that likely were going to buy one anyway (so they lose the profit of the hardware sale), plus if these people are cheap enough to get through the trouble of buying someone else's brand new iPod through craigslist to save money, they probably pirate music, too.

Now, instead, this forces you to actually use iTunes or the App Store. I bet most of people that will be getting those gift cards don't have an iTunes account already, so they'll make one, spend the 100$ and learn how the Mac App Store and such work.

After the 100$, they will be more likely to come back to iTunes / Mac App Store since they now already have an account and know how it works.

Apple then fulfills their original goal again: Making you spend on content.

couldn't say it better my self! +1

Takuya
For all the angry people in this thread:

The $100 is meant for students to use it to buy apps and get them acquainted with the Mac App Store. Apple doesn't have to buy everyone iPods. iPods are the world's best selling mp3 players. Most teens have iPhones.

This is meant to be of actual use to students. If you don't like it, don't buy a Mac. It's not part of the "cult", nor is it arrogant. It's actually quite a bit better than an iPod. College kids can buy iWork or other software they might use. They can buy music, books, and apps. I'd say it's a step in the right direction.

tl;dr: apple owes you nothing. Most people get ****** computers from dell with what? Certainly not the same back to school specials nor computer quality as Apple.

haydn!

If you don't plan on using an iOS device, then I guess you wouldn't have wanted a free iPod Touch either?

Plus, what do you plan using your Mac for? They're pretty boring without applications to run and do things with you know.

LastLine
Jun 15, 2011, 05:22 PM

Something like this? :) (http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/call-of-duty-4-modern-warfare/id403574981?mt=12)

ESPN
How disappointing.....

Expensive Mac + ipod + student discount was reasonable but now it is now downright torrid.

The Windows 7 computer + Xbox is definitively the better deal now.

They don't , people will just buy windows 7 laptop which is cheaper and provides better items. Apple giving a 100$ card, weak.

maddav

Phil Schiller.

But I believe since then, it's been revealed that discs can be made available.

aristotle
Are you people serious? A gift card is a better value for many people. For example, what is a student who already has an iPod touch going to do with another one? At least this way, the student has some choices.

wikus
Jun 15, 2011, 05:23 PM
umm it is

you kids have a LOT to earn about other methods...

dmm219
Jun 15, 2011, 05:24 PM
regardless of where the money goes, its half the value of the sales in the past. Its a legitimate complaint and it really doesn't make it worth it for me to buy. I will now wait a few more years and buy a bit later when I really need to.

Sure, its better than nothing, but you can't argue that is isn't a huge "yawn"...

guvna
This is the first time I have qualified for student discount.

14% off plus $100/£65 for movies/books sounds good to me.

Thanks Apple

1986alexander

Yay User Name
1.) Has anyone considered how little the change in cost to Apple is? Normally they use this promo to get rid of old iPods only worth about $150. In addition, probably $80 out of that price is profit, meaning you can subtract that amount from the value for what it costs them. That leaves you with $70, the same amount they lose from the gift card.

2.) As this promo is normally used to clear out old iPods before the September refresh, could this mean that we will see a late iPod refresh this year?

ChristianJapan
Jun 15, 2011, 05:26 PM
Lucky me, not relevant .. I'm out of school for a while; my little one not yet in.

But actually I think the idea to give gift card for apps is good for all the software maker out there who can get a bit more sales. Specially if smaller makers are chosen. The value of the gift card might could better fit to the original value of an iPT and be 150$ but ok. Time changes.

shanmugam
1.) Has anyone considered how little the change in cost to Apple is? Normally they use this promo to get rid of old iPods only worth about $150. In addition, probably $80 out of that price is profit, meaning you can subtract that amount from the value for what it costs them. That leaves you with $70, the same amount they lose from the gift card.

2.) As this promo is normally used to clear out old iPods before the September refresh, could this mean that we will see a late iPod refresh this year?

this year iPod Touch will be replaced with iPhone mini or whatever is called ...

if you have not noticed already, they are already replacing the iPod icon with Music and Videso in the iOS slowly

iPhone everywhere!

fabian9
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Whilst I'm annoyed that I probably won't be able to offset the cost of my mbp, I'm excited that I'll finally have an excuse for buying tomtom for my iPhone without actually having to spend any extra money on it.

I just hope it's an instant rebate, not one of those lame mail-in ones!

STOCK411

so you will go the illegal rout..... good job

Jun 15, 2011, 05:27 PM
This is the first time I have qualified for student discount.

14% off plus $100/£65 for movies/books sounds good to me.

Thanks Apple

Well said

bjett92
Jun 15, 2011, 05:28 PM

Oh so you are going to pirate it instead of paying the EXTREMELY high price of $30 for a new operating system. What a class act you are.

Ubuntu
Are you people serious? A gift card is a better value for many people. For example, what is a student who already has an iPod touch going to do with another one? At least this way, the student has some choices.

People just want to sell the iPod touch as they'd get more. In the UK if its going to be a £65 giftcard thats not great compared to selling an iPod touch for £150+ that can be spent on anything.

They void the giftcard and charge you for the amount you've used?

ApleSmaple1981
Any chance they'll allow us to use the gift card on hardware...maybe just sell it and use the cash towards hardware?

thoughts.

Yay User Name
Jun 15, 2011, 05:29 PM
this year iPod Touch will be replaced with iPhone mini or whatever is called ...

if you have not noticed already, they are already replacing the iPod icon with Music and Videso in the iOS slowly

iPhone everywhere!

Hope it keeps the iPod pricing for whatever it is, cause I don't want to buy a smartphone.

C0LUMBIA

I think that because the next iPhone will be released later, this means that the next iPod touch will be released either late this year or early next year meaning that the clear out for B2S needs not to happen.

This guess-timation comes from the release date difference between the iPhone 4 and the iPod 4.

Just my opinion :)

gooddeal
They don't , people will just buy windows 7 laptop which is cheaper and provides better items. Apple giving a 100$ card, weak.

Then, this is the wrong place for you.

wikus
If you don't plan on using an iOS device, then I guess you wouldn't have wanted a free iPod Touch either?

Plus, what do you plan using your Mac for? They're pretty boring without applications to run and do things with you know.

Again, thats arrogant and ignorant of you to make such a claim. I dont use or need to use the app store. I only require basic functionality.

As for what I will be using my mac for; graphic design and web development. Two fields of study which I already have the applications for.

ESPN
Agreed 100%.

Anyone buying a $1000+ laptop clearly is not going hungry or lacking in funds to buy a 200 ipod.

If you want free crap, MS is offering up their Xbox 360 with any $600 PC purchase. Enjoy. Clearly showing how valuable they think Xbox's are!

Crap?

...I wonder why Windows operating systems still account for 90% of the market.

Care to enlighten me?

By giving away Xbox they re energize their game console that have declined with PS3 and Wii.

ten-oak-druid
Jun 15, 2011, 05:30 PM
How disappointing.....

Expensive Mac + ipod + student discount was reasonable but now it is now downright torrid.

The Windows 7 computer + Xbox is definitively the better deal now.

Mac + nothing beats Windows 7 + xbox.

ultrafiel
Well this totally sucks...

I've been waiting to buy a new iMac since they were released in May waiting for this promo. However, if I would have know it was being changed this year to a gift card I would have bought it right when it was released.

The gift card is lame, especially since I have yet to get anything from the app store. I still like getting apps from the developer because I feel like I have more control over the installation, and it also isn't tied to my appleID (in case I load a program on a home or work computer, for example).

In the end the gift card will go towards iPhone apps and iPad apps (when I finally get one). If the card could be used towards anything in the Apple Store then I'd be fine by that, but for iTunes/apps it just isn't that great of an incentive.

Very disappointing, especially considering the xBox promo Microsoft is doing.

And sure, Apple doesn't have to do this, but doing it for the last 5 years sure sets an expectation (I think it has even been longer than that). Still very disappointing...

NightFox

And there's a good reason why they made those profits - it involves having a strategy that considers the financial implications of the promotions it runs.

TheJing
Jun 15, 2011, 05:31 PM
Kinda pissed I bought my mac today. A 100$ free Gift Card would have been really nice, wouldn't have to pay for iWork.

Yay User Name
I think that because the next iPhone will be released later, this means that the next iPod touch will be released either late this year or early next year meaning that the clear out for B2S needs not to happen.

This guess-timation comes from the release date difference between the iPhone 4 and the iPod 4.

Yes, thats exactly what I was saying.

noahtk
So much for an awesome would-be incentive... Amazon here I come!

OceanView
Apple should at least give some options like $100 iTunes card OR $100 credit towards anything at Apple.
This blows big time.
Now I will put off purchasing new systems much later rather than update every year.

fkhan3
Jun 15, 2011, 05:32 PM
Man! but disappointing but oh well, at least its better than not getting anything at all

1986alexander
Jun 15, 2011, 05:32 PM

That's what I'm trying to find out.

jazzmaster777
Jun 15, 2011, 05:34 PM
It's about time but not what i was hoping for but still its somthing!!!

ESPN
Jun 15, 2011, 05:35 PM

Windows > Mac
Based on marketshare and usage.

Xbox > nothing
A console is better than nothing.

Your statement is invalid.

shanmugam
based on the Back to school ending program, Sep 20th the Tuesday :)

iPhone mini on - Sep 6th as well :D

two and half months away!!!

fabian9
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I cant imagine apple not going into the Christmas present Market with a new iPod line up, but we'll soon find out!

Sodner
Just stopped in to see the whiners, complainers and those with that wonderful American "I'm entitled to a free iPod" spirit that made this county what it is today. :rolleyes:

I can see they are out in full force. :p

nipo

They'll do what every other retailer does. Refund the purchase price of the computer minus $100 for the gift card if you've scratched off the promo code.

So if you payed $1199 and got a giftcard they'd refund you $1099 if you don't return the card unused.

syedhussain
Jun 15, 2011, 05:36 PM
do we still get a free printer?

lets see if the printer is free

i can sell the itunes gift card for $90
sell the printer for $60

make $150

if we got the free ipod i would've sold it for $175

so the difference to me is $25

macsamillionjoe
Jun 15, 2011, 05:36 PM
Yes but there a lack of new games on there at the moment...

goobot
Jun 15, 2011, 05:37 PM
Kinda pissed I bought my mac today. A 100$ free Gift Card would have been really nice, wouldn't have to pay for iWork.

Just return it and rebuy it, they probably will just give you the gift card if you tell them that anyway.

Yay User Name
Jun 15, 2011, 05:37 PM

I cant imagine apple not going into the Christmas present Market with a new iPod line up, but we'll soon find out!

Well based on this time they could release it early December.

bjett92
Jun 15, 2011, 05:39 PM
Windows > Mac

Xbox > nothing

Yeah let's base how good a product is on market share. Ford has a bigger market share than Bentley. They must make better cars.

insmgg
Can the gift card be used towards buying AppleCare?

gnasher729

And Apple doesn't get any money from a $200 iPod ;)

What Apple is doing here is adding more money to the $2.5bn paid out to app developers so far. There has been all this moaning about Apple's 30 percent cut for software on the iOS and MacOS App Store, but now Apple actually puts money into people's hands to give it to app developers! So if you compare iOS and Android development: On Android, you have to work hard to convince people to pay for your software (I nice statement that I heard once was "we are trying to increase the percentage of customers among our users"), but if you develop for iOS and for MacOS X, Apple actually gives people money to spend on your apps!

This is a "back to school" promotion. I'm quite happy with Apple helping people going to school financially; I'm not happy with Apple helping students to waste their time on computer games.

ESPN
Well based on this time they could release it early December.

Unlikely it wouldn't be enough time for consumes since christmas is around the corner and this will be past Black Friday- biggest retail day of year.

As always 90% chance that new ipods will be revealed in september.

fabian9
Jun 15, 2011, 05:40 PM

Windows > Mac

Xbox > nothing

Yeah, because markethare and usage is such a great measure of the quality of a product...

A lot of people drive fords, does that mean they're better than audis? ;)

srf4real
Jun 15, 2011, 05:40 PM
Really surprised at all the negative responses. But then I need a new Mac whether or not a frisbee is included. I could use the gift card for sure.. that's $100 off Aperture or FCP in my eyes. Thanks Apple!:D

ApleSmaple1981
Jun 15, 2011, 05:41 PM
The fact that the only two MAIN options for daily computing for the majority of consumers is either Windows or OSX is in itself a sort of Monopolistic Trust. Apple's seamless integration of its bundled software, such as iMovie and iPhoto etc., is a major driver for teens and college students.

They've made a name for themselves off of the iPod platform more than anything and their computers piggy-backed off their popularity.

I personally like purchasing Apple because of the fact that those malicious adware/trojan/spyware dirtbags code much more for Windows due to its lion, no pun intended, of the market share. In addition, having Keynote, iMovie, etc. helps me out as a teacher.

Now to the greater point, Apple is very costly compared to its competitors. It's a choice you say, but should we have to be subjected to name-calling simply because we, as consumers who drive the market that Apple makes MASSIVE PROFITS off of, want and expect annual promotions to maintain their value both monetarily and personally (i.e. using it to get hardware vs. software is much more valuable to people's wants)? In fact, prices generally decrease as a result of innovation then a jump in demand and then supply.

At the end of the day I will be spending over $2,000 on a laptop and would like the $100 credit, which has been in lieu of an iPod Touch, to be applicable towards hardware, not just software that isn't as desirable by most consumers.

syedhussain
SO do we get the free printer still, or not?

STOCK411
Oh so you are going to pirate it instead of paying the EXTREMELY high price of $30 for a new operating system. What a class act you are.

yup........ sad isn't it... $30 dollars to much for an OS

Yay User Name
Unlikely it wouldn't be enough time for consumes since christmas is around the corner and this will be past Black Friday- biggest retail day of year.

As always 90% chance that new ipods will be revealed in september.

True, hadn't thought about Black Friday. But still, they could be released later than normal.

STOCK411
SO do we get the free printer still, or not?

yes

thatisme
Jun 15, 2011, 05:42 PM
Windows > Mac

Xbox > nothing

So, with that logic:

Yugo > Ferrari Based on marketshare and usage?

$100 Gift card > no gift card

ESPN
Jun 15, 2011, 05:43 PM

Yeah, because markethare and usage is such a great measure of the quality of a product...

To a certain extent that logic can be used but the amount of Fords to Audis arent 9 -1.

When a product encompasses such a large majority, it is better. Its not like every windows computer is a Ford anyways, get an i7 with 8GB RAM and 2011 graphics and you have a Mercedes.

bjett92
Jun 15, 2011, 05:44 PM
yup........ sad isn't it... $30 dollars to much for an OS

Well good thing nobody has seen Microsoft's outrageous operating system prices!

fabian9

Windows > Mac

Xbox > nothing

Yeah let's base how good a product is on market share. Ford has a bigger market share than Bentley. They must make better cars.

Lol I can't believe we used almost the same example! Bentley and Audi are both owned by the VW group, aren't they?

NoExpectations
I'm glad that Apple is no longer giving away a free iPod....jeez....how many do we need?

On the other hand, $100 is not a very good promotion when your competition is giving away XBOXes. For most people, the first $30 will go right back to Apple for OS X Lion.

Why not a free Apple TV? I bet a lot of dorm rooms could use one of those.

ddavid
Jun 15, 2011, 05:46 PM
I'll wait until Lion is preinstalled and sell the silly gift card. I was hoping for something tangible...an XBox would be cool.

drew0020
Jun 15, 2011, 05:47 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/534.32 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

what a joke. I can't believe the people on this board apologizing for Apple. Oh wait yes I can haha.

This back to school promo is a joke. Hopefully their summer sales suffer as a result of this.

bjett92
I'm glad that Apple is no longer giving away a free iPod....jeez....how many do we need?

On the other hand, $100 is not a very good promotion when your competition is giving away XBOXes. For most people, the first $30 will go right back to Apple for OS X Lion.

Lion is included as part of the up to date program. So anyone who buys a Mac now should upgrade for free when Lion is released.

fabian9

To a certain extent that logic can be used but the amount of Fords to Audis arent 9 -1.

When a product encompasses such a large majority, it is better. Its not like every windows computer is a Ford anyways, get an i7 with 8GB RAM and 2011 graphics and you have a Mercedes.

No, that would make it top of the line ford focus ST. ;)

STOCK411
Jun 15, 2011, 05:48 PM

was going to post that... yup

C0LUMBIA

For every new Mac bought after the 6th June, Lion will be free.

NoExpectations
Lion is included as part of the up to date program. So anyone who buys a Mac now should upgrade for free when Lion is released.

Ahh...good to know...thanks.

RedRaven571
For most people, the first $30 will go right back to Apple for OS X Lion.

Nope, any mac bought after June 6th qualifies for free upgrade to OS X Lion.

Sorry, must have posted at the same time...

ten-oak-druid
Jun 15, 2011, 05:49 PM
Windows > Mac

Those words mean so much to someone on hold with Dell customer support.

Xbox > nothing

True. The xbox is better than nothing. PS3 and Wii are much better especially considering that horrible UI MS put on the xbox. Those "blades" LOL

LMAO

My statement is 100% valid.

ApleSmaple1981
Jun 15, 2011, 05:50 PM
Can't We All Get Along - Rodney King? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xfyQwbnXyI)

satcomer

I had to buy Windows 7 for my graduating nephew and was really surprised at how much it costs for the stupid "Home Premium". My nephew better love that Mac Book Pro I giving him. :cool:

Variant
Most students will end up buying Pages and all the crap. Look at the top paid apps in the store. They are almost all made by Apple. Most of that $100 will go straight back to Apple.

I've purchased iWork twice, and will never buy it again. MS software if by FAR superior.

ECUpirate44
Jun 15, 2011, 05:51 PM
Nope, any mac bought after June 6th qualifies for free upgrade to OS X Lion.

Sorry, must have posted at the same time...

Source?

bjett92
Jun 15, 2011, 05:52 PM
Source?

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/07/lion-up-to-date-buy-a-new-mac-now-get-lion-free-later/

TC400
Jun 15, 2011, 05:52 PM
I'm not getting pages numbers and keynote till the '11 version gets here.

MoreAwesomeDanU
Jun 15, 2011, 05:54 PM
won't affect my purchase decisions, but still lame.

ten-oak-druid
Jun 15, 2011, 05:55 PM
I'm not getting pages numbers and keynote till the '11 version gets here.

Hopefully with a new version of Paint and Draw long overdue to compliment the rest of iWork.

As for this offer, Apple offer a free AppleTV with a new computer as an option. Same dollar amount.

paramore
Jun 15, 2011, 05:56 PM
since i will be a college student very soon, i was really looking forward to this promotion to replace my 3 or 4 year old iMac, and a free iPod touch (which could replace the iPhone 3g I've been using as an iPod with a majorly cracked screen) not everyone has an iPod touch.. but 100 dollars? its nice.... but in years past students have received much more

maybe i'll just get my new macbook pro at best buy, at least my dad will get rewards points

mobilehaathi
Jun 15, 2011, 05:58 PM
That rather blows. The least they could do is offer the choice between the gift card or $100 off an ip[o|a]d.

Click4Dough
Jun 15, 2011, 05:59 PM
Apple does not have to give anything away.... and here we are complaining about 100 free bucks.. dont get it .. now just for the airs to update

Themaddoc
Jun 15, 2011, 05:59 PM
any idea if this is also for UK students

shanmugam
Jun 15, 2011, 06:00 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/07/lion-up-to-date-buy-a-new-mac-now-get-lion-free-later/

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2011/06/06lion.html
the original link :cool:

bf2008
Jun 15, 2011, 06:01 PM
OK, offering $100 instead of an ipod which is almost $200 is cheap, but also, are they really offering $100? Can anyone let me know which Mac Apps I can get that will add up to $100 and will be useful for a student? This new move is effectively making Macs around $200 more expensive for students, which were an important consumer base.

Hueyfreeman
Jun 15, 2011, 06:03 PM
Based on market share apple has about 50% of high end computers. Stop comparing luxory and specialty cars to every day point A to B cars. This is comming from a person who loves building computers. Compare things by price points... I.E. an asus R.O.G. Vs. an apple MBP.

DCJ001
Jun 15, 2011, 06:04 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

8GB iPod touch to a $100 AppStore gift card??? :rolleyes: That's cheap... at least Microsoft is giving out Xboxes.

Microosoft is desperate.

ten-oak-druid
Jun 15, 2011, 06:04 PM
I think Apple has scaled down their ipod production with competition from ipad and iphone. How many people will carry ipod + iphone for instance?

The next model ipods were usually released after this promotion was up. If the production of ipods is down then just before a refresh there may not be many to clear out.

STOCK411
Jun 15, 2011, 06:06 PM
OK, offering $100 instead of an ipod which is almost $200 is cheap, but also, are they really offering $100? Can anyone let me know which Mac Apps I can get that will add up to $100 and will be useful for a student? This new move is effectively making Macs around $200 more expensive for students, which were an important consumer base.

Iwork suite
almost everything in the mac app store is sub $100

justareader
Jun 15, 2011, 06:09 PM
I would look for how online stores like Amazon , Macmall and others react to this lame discount?

Can anyone add ( if allowed on this forum) the list of authorized online stores that sell Macs'

SdPunk
Jun 15, 2011, 06:09 PM
This is disappointing. I am surprised by this though. Not trying to be funny, but could this be a result of the crappy economy? :confused:

motulist
Jun 15, 2011, 06:10 PM
Stupid business decision. I was somewhat seriously considering buying a new MBP thinking that it'd be nice to have an updated machine and also have a new iPod Touch to play around with, but now without the free ipod it makes the deal more than unattractive enough that I'm not gonna do it. My current machine works fine and I'll keep using it for another bunch of years if buying a new one doesn't mean I get a fun new free toy in the deal. If they want to lower the cost on the MBP by $200 then I'd be willing to buy then as well.

zinynano
Jun 15, 2011, 06:12 PM
I would look for how online stores like Amazon , Macmall and others react to this lame discount?

Wondering the same thing.

GREEN4U
Jun 15, 2011, 06:13 PM
I worked at the Apple Store for 3 summers while I was in college (2006, 2007, 2008) and I've seen it all. But this is an all time-low in terms of Apple being uber-cheap.

For those who say an iTunes gift card is "still free," consider those who also qualify corporate/government discounts, which are a few % off more than education. Now we have a decision to make.

I was going to buy a 11" MacBook Air ($999 model) on my way back to grad school but now I think I'll use my corporate discount. I have absolutely no use for an iTunes gift card. Never have, never will.

Icaras

Actually, with the price being $0.99, you could actually afford 101 Angry Birds...

Apple 26.2
Hahahahahaha!

blackburn
Hmm.. what about countries that don't have itunes gift cards? Last year they did the usual deal for the iPod. Looks like this year there won't be an back to school promo.:eek:

Hueyfreeman
Jun 15, 2011, 06:15 PM
I think M$ is doing its promotion to try and stay ahead of sony's ps3

motulist
Jun 15, 2011, 06:16 PM
could this be a result of the crappy economy? :confused:

Apple is and has been making record-breaking profits for years. The crappy economy is exactly why making this business decision right now is a stupid business decision for Apple to make right now.

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2011-01-18/apple-profit-rises-78-on-demand-for-ipads-iphones.html

stylez23
Jun 15, 2011, 06:16 PM
very disappointed... i don't think I've even spent more than $100 on the app store since I got my first iPhone (2G)...

no.one
Jun 15, 2011, 06:17 PM
IF we can use it towards the new Final Cut Pro that's coming out for $299.

Can we? Isn't it going to be downloadable and no longer on discs?

If we can't get Final Cut, I have no use for the card. I already have iWork and MS Office, and I don't have an iPod touch or iPad, and even if I did, I'd probably only want to play PacMan on it.

VPrime
Jun 15, 2011, 06:20 PM
are much better especially considering that horrible UI MS put on the xbox. Those "blades" LOL

When was the last time you played an Xbox? The "blade" UI has not been around for a long time :confused: