Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

T0Mlol

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 12, 2008
Let's say I wanted to start fresh again and install Lion DP4 on my macbook now. And then I do that update that just came out today. When the Gold version comes out, will it prompt me to update to the full version or will I need to buy the version on the mac store and re install the whole thing again?

Basically what I am asking is should I wait the next three weeks or so until the full version comes out or can I start early and install DP4 now and then update as soon as it comes out with no hassle? I ask this now because my macbook is running slow and I feel like just starting fresh and I have time to do this now but I want an honest opinion. Should I wait or what?

axu539

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2010
Given the pain in the ass that full reinstalls tend to be, I would wait, since the GM should be out soon anyway. It's always nice to start fresh and get rid of traces of the beta/preview software, since that might be what's causing the bugginess in the first place.

T0Mlol

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 12, 2008
Given the pain in the ass that full reinstalls tend to be, I would wait, since the GM should be out soon anyway. It's always nice to start fresh and get rid of traces of the beta/preview software, since that might be what's causing the bugginess in the first place.

Do you think the GM will come out before it's actually released in the app store? As in, will devs get it like a week or two before?

HelveticaNeue

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
Do you think the GM will come out before it's actually released in the app store? As in, will devs get it like a week or two before?

If you're thinking of downloading the GM to save yourself an extra 2 weeks of waiting, I wouldn't. Sometimes there can be lingering issues and there might be a second or third GM release if there are some nasty final bugs. Wait for the public release. I know it's hard. Believe me, I know. We just gotta be strong.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
The GM candidates will be the full Lion distribution and the odds are that when the developers get GM candidates, it will not come through Software Update. And as was stated, there can be more than one GM issued due to bugs and such.

If you're not a developer, you should be buying the released version anyway.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.