PDA

View Full Version : Apple to Upgrade Fifth Avenue Store Plaza, Temporarily Remove Iconic Glass Cube

MacRumors
Jun 16, 2011, 09:29 AM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/16/apple-to-upgrade-fifth-avenue-store-plaza/)

ifoAppleStore reports (http://www.ifoapplestore.com/db/2011/06/16/work-begins-to-replace-fifth-avenue-glass-cube/) that Apple has begun work on a $6.6 million project to revamp the plaza at its flagship Fifth Avenue retail store in Manhattan, home of the iconic glass cube entrance leading to the underground retail space. As part of the project, Apple will be temporarily removing the glass cube to install new pavers on the plaza.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/06/apple_store_fifth_avenue.jpg

Workers reportedly appeared on site last night and began fencing off areas around the store to begin work on the project.Building permits issued on June 13th state the work will also include removing protective bollards, installing new pavers around the cube's perimeter, and removing and reinstalling surrounding water drains. According to the permits, the work could be finished by early November.It is unclear whether Apple will be replacing the glass panels of the cube or making other changes to the structure, or simply temporarily removing the cube to facilitate other drainage and paver work on the plaza.

Apple's Fifth Avenue store opened in mid-2006 as the gleaming flagship of the chain, operating 24 hours a day. Despite the company having opened a number of significantly larger flagship stores around the world in the following years, the Fifth Avenue store has maintained its position as one of the busiest and most-visited stores in the company's retail chain.

Article Link: Apple to Upgrade Fifth Avenue Store Plaza, Temporarily Remove Iconic Glass Cube (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/16/apple-to-upgrade-fifth-avenue-store-plaza/)

tsadi
Jun 16, 2011, 09:34 AM
So no store there until November?

maclaptop
Jun 16, 2011, 09:35 AM
Translated:

Depite the trendy area, iTermites and a super species of iBugs have eaten away at the very foundation of said "Glass Palace".

crisss1205
Jun 16, 2011, 09:37 AM
This is truly an amazing store. I passed by there a few times over the past couple of years and it still looks amazing, especially since it is right next to Central Park.

http://www.cttapp.com/images/stacks_image_42_1.png

alent1234
Jun 16, 2011, 09:39 AM
slow news day, huh?

now the bloggers are tracking apple building permits?

jonhaxor
Jun 16, 2011, 09:42 AM
This is truly an amazing store. I passed by there a few times over the past couple of years and it still looks amazing, especially since it is right next to Central Park.

Image (http://www.cttapp.com/images/stacks_image_42_1.png)

I live not too far from there and typically avoid that place like the plague .. (unless I need to pick up a shiny apple widget at 1AM) .. it's always crawling with tourists, and the street vendors have turned it into a sidewalk nightmare on weekends

great location though for apple to attract business - just down the street from 30 Rock on the most heavily trafficked area of 5th ave.

bigjnyc
Jun 16, 2011, 09:48 AM
I live not too far from there and typically avoid that place like the plague .. (unless I need to pick up a shiny apple widget at 1AM) .. it's always crawling with tourists, and the street vendors have turned it into a sidewalk nightmare on weekends

great location though for apple to attract business - just down the street from 30 Rock on the most heavily trafficked area of 5th ave.

Same here, I live and work nearby and that place is a tourist attraction.. it's always so full in there with gawkers and tourists buying ipod shuffles just to say they bought something there. Then you have a bunch of kids from nearby schools or just hanging out in the summer, so playing with any of the machines before making a purchase is nearly impossible.

RalfTheDog

We the tourists dump lots of money into your fantastic city. I will admit that when I am in NYC, I also avoid the tourist traps. When I need to pick up a shiny Apple Trinket, I usually go to the store around 60 something and Broadway. (I like the dog bowl filled with water they keep by the door.)

shurcooL
This is where I first saw the iPhone 4 in person back when it was only out in US, during my visit to NYC. :D

Koodauw
Jun 16, 2011, 09:51 AM
Steve wants to try out some of that new curved glass they are to use on the new campus.

Malty
Jun 16, 2011, 09:53 AM
Proud to say i've visited last year. Didn't know it was open 24/7 though. You learn something new everyday

coder12
Jun 16, 2011, 09:54 AM
Replace it all with rounded glass? :)

edit: ninja'd!

Steve wants to try out some of that new curved glass they are to use on the new campus.

macse30
Jun 16, 2011, 10:00 AM
Remove all that to replace some pavers? Right, and I got your iPhone6 for you right here.

sammich
Jun 16, 2011, 10:00 AM

Heh. They could use that curved glass to make a giant apple (with the chunk taken out too).

RawBert
Jun 16, 2011, 10:02 AM
Beautiful. I'd love to visit someday.

edit: ninja'd!
HA!!!! :D

crisss1205
Jun 16, 2011, 10:06 AM

Oh, I know. I never go inside or on that side of the street. If I need to go to an Apple Store while in the city I go to SoHo or West 14th street. But I live on Long Island so I usually go to Roosevelt Field or Manhassset.

theheadguy
Jun 16, 2011, 10:07 AM
I say it's fine as it is. I love the idea of upgrading an already amazing store, but, ****... in this economy give us a break on the product price instead of spending it on non-essential curved glass.

GQB
Jun 16, 2011, 10:09 AM
I do hope that the keep the cube and not go to a Louvre-style pyramid.
There's something really '2001 Monolith' about the cube that just grabs you when you first see it.

GQB
Jun 16, 2011, 10:11 AM
Same here, I live and work nearby and that place is a tourist attraction.. it's always so full in there with gawkers and tourists buying ipod shuffles just to say they bought something there. Then you have a bunch of kids from nearby schools or just hanging out in the summer, so playing with any of the machines before making a purchase is nearly impossible.

So go to the one in the Meat Packing district.
5th Ave store is meant to be a zoo. Its a landmark.

chequepoint
Jun 16, 2011, 10:13 AM
They need to swap it out with a low-iron starfire type glass.. that nasty green tint is ugly.

dccorona
Jun 16, 2011, 10:14 AM
so let me straight...I'm about to go to new york for the first time in my life, and the apple cube isn't even gonna be there? Wow, that's awesome

Mac'nCheese
Jun 16, 2011, 10:18 AM
so let me straight...I'm about to go to new york for the first time in my life, and the apple cube isn't even gonna be there? Wow, that's awesome
Still a lot of non-apple related place to visit.

room237
Jun 16, 2011, 10:18 AM
They need to redesign the entrance. You have people standing around that MUST experience the elevator as if it were a ride at Disney, so they block the flow of the stairs while they wait. The congestion is mind boggling at times. I hate to blame the tourists, but they don't seem to understand the flow of things there.

room237
Jun 16, 2011, 10:20 AM

It's an Apple store. It's not the Louvre.

Check out the Met, it's on 5th ave. It's also quite nice.

AppleScruff1
Jun 16, 2011, 10:22 AM
This is truly news worthy. I wonder if they are painting any stores?

theheadguy
Jun 16, 2011, 10:24 AM
so let me straight...I'm about to go to new york for the first time in my life, and the apple cube isn't even gonna be there? Wow, that's awesomeIt's an Apple store. It's not the Louvre.
Interesting example. But I must warn you, the Louvre won't be there either.

room237
Jun 16, 2011, 10:26 AM
Interesting example. But I must warn you, the Louvre won't be there either.

Well then, I'm moving.

cvaldes
Jun 16, 2011, 10:32 AM
I think they're upgrading to a Retina Cube.

This is truly news worthy. I wonder if they are painting any stores?
They probably vacuumed last night.

rick snagwell
Jun 16, 2011, 10:33 AM
i would love to visit this store. you guys can't tell me you didnt wanna visit the one in las vegas @CP

ghostface147
Jun 16, 2011, 10:35 AM

Yeah I am headed there in two weeks for 4th of July and I am thinking the same thing. Dammit.

ferdinandcc
Jun 16, 2011, 10:37 AM
Unibody construction!

Themaeds
Jun 16, 2011, 10:39 AM

Luckily the Statue of Liberty and the Empire State Building are still there. Whewwww Crisis averted

ghostface147
Jun 16, 2011, 10:46 AM
Luckily the Statue of Liberty and the Empire State Building are still there. Whewwww Crisis averted

I got those on my list too. I have crown access to the statue.

AppleScruff1
Jun 16, 2011, 10:51 AM

I heard that they are going to replace the Statue of Liberty with a statue of Steve.

e-coli
Jun 16, 2011, 10:57 AM
No doubt this was likely to happen. We've had a ton of rain this year and last, and that plaza holds a sheet of water.

I'm betting they were getting a lot of water damage.

I'll miss the cube. *sniffle*

Themaeds
Jun 16, 2011, 11:00 AM
I got those on my list too. I have crown access to the statue.

Don't slip in the slime.....You will wake up feeling like a million bucks.

BJMRamage
Jun 16, 2011, 11:07 AM
I went there as a tourist a few years back. I unfortunately took the stairs as I thought that was the cool thing, now I understand I should have taken the elevator? Dang.
I also left shortly after arriving a bit ticked. It was so crowded, I should have known as any Apple Store on a Saturday is and this is an iconic one. But boy, you could barely touch a device. I finally made it to an iPhone and made a call to see what that was like and then left. I wanted to look at the iMacs but people were just surfing the net or taking photos of themselves.

Would be funny to see this as simply a construction zone to clear some water damage and put things back to how they were. Some people would be so upset they didn't "upgrade" it. Also odd how I just saw an article the other day saying how Jobs/Apple patented or trademarked or whatever the overall design/look of the Cube Retail store (along with a hanging apple as if another store would copy that too).

SpamJunkie
Jun 16, 2011, 11:07 AM
The cube will now be made of much larger pieces of glass. While talking about Apple's new campus, it was pointed out that Apple can now manufacture some of the largest glass pieces in the world. Now they'll be applying those abilities to the NY store's cube.

I think it's going to look great.

reactions
Jun 16, 2011, 11:30 AM

Check out the Met, it's on 5th ave. It's also quite nice.

Thank you

42streetsdown
Jun 16, 2011, 11:35 AM
Don't slip in the slime.....You will wake up feeling like a million bucks.

Who ya gonna call?

DDMaKeeg
Jun 16, 2011, 11:41 AM
I say it's fine as it is. I love the idea of upgrading an already amazing store, but, ****... in this economy give us a break on the product price instead of spending it on non-essential curved glass.

Hey, no one is building homes anymore. I think its great for the economy. Its putting people to work; engineers, construction workers...

ratzzo
Jun 16, 2011, 12:43 PM
Upgrading stores is good... but isn't actually building new stores in other important cities much crucial? ie. Madrid doesn't have a proper store, just an authorized retail.

kerryb
Jun 16, 2011, 12:50 PM
We the tourists dump lots of money into your fantastic city. I will admit that when I am in NYC, I also avoid the tourist traps. When I need to pick up a shiny Apple Trinket, I usually go to the store around 60 something and Broadway. (I like the dog bowl filled with water they keep by the door.)

I live in NY and love the tourist and the money they infuse into the city's businesses and tax coffers. Please keep coming. Too bad for Apple having to remove a now iconic sign which is what the cube really is. I hope it returns sooner than November and when I find myself in that part of town I just like seeing it.

Gasu E.
Jun 16, 2011, 12:53 PM
It's not the Louvre.

That's the pyramid-shaped Apple Store, isn't it?

I heard that they are going to replace the Statue of Liberty with a statue of Steve.

and rename it "Statue of InsanelyGreatness."

Dr Kevorkian94
Jun 16, 2011, 12:56 PM
maybe they will make the new cube out of iPads so you can interact with it lol

vbtwo31984
Jun 16, 2011, 01:01 PM
They need to redesign the entrance. You have people standing around that MUST experience the elevator as if it were a ride at Disney, so they block the flow of the stairs while they wait. The congestion is mind boggling at times. I hate to blame the tourists, but they don't seem to understand the flow of things there.

They should redo the stairs altogether. The stairs there are horrible. Way too wide on the outside of the circle (it's a wide spiral staircase around a round elevator, for anyone that was never there), and way too narrow on the inside. In addition, they're glass and transparent, so you can't really see what you're stepping on that well. Also, there is just empty space where the vertical parts would be on normal stairs, so when going up, you can get your foot lodged in there between the steps. Form over function all the way here.

iRobby
Jun 16, 2011, 01:32 PM
This is the only apple store I shop at on a regular basis. haven't been to the others in the city. My silly mentality is go to the biggest the main store. But I am looking forward to checking out the Grand Central store come opening day.

I hope they put the cube back. I just called and was given the "normal" run around answer " I don't have any information about the cube we don't give information about speculating upcoming changes in the store."

BC2009
Jun 16, 2011, 01:47 PM

When I was kid visiting NYC they were renovating the Statue of Liberty which limited where we could go inside the statue. I think it took them a year or more to complete that.

I was in NYC a few weeks ago on business, but did not bother to head over to the Apple store. Never thought I'd be missing much since I've seen Apple stores before. Apparently, this one is a bit more special than the rest. I guess I will catch it next year when I am there.

gkarris
Jun 16, 2011, 01:48 PM
replaced by a "spaceship"... :eek:

;)

T-Will
Jun 16, 2011, 01:54 PM

That's my thought exactly, I'll be there in 3 weeks. Oh well, there's a ton of other cooler stuff to see in NYC, but the cube store is a cultural icon for this generation.

Doctor Q
Jun 16, 2011, 02:11 PM
First they take away the G4 Cube, and now this! With their new circular headquarters building being planned Apple has definitely forgone square for round.

funnyent
Jun 17, 2011, 10:15 AM
Haha Well, I guess there were not too many other news stories today

Chundles
Jun 17, 2011, 10:21 AM

This one is both an Apple Store AND The Louvre...

chrono1081
Jun 17, 2011, 05:59 PM
Id like to see the Time Square store. I don't care that its an Apple store inside (although I like those too since you can play with everything and it works) I just think its an awesome looking building.

benthewraith
Jun 17, 2011, 06:07 PM
First they take away the G4 Cube, and now this! With their new circular headquarters building being planned Apple has definitely forgone square for round.

Steve is trading in the Cube for the circle. Next he'll decide the circle could be more efficient if it was a sphere. I suspect the iDiamond to come after that.

Once all those shapes are used, he will introduce the iConnect, a cerebral connection device that connects minds to sharing, processing and interpreting data. Why share your photos with just a few people when you can share them with the world?

Of course, there's the inevitable one mind syndrome and trading body parts for functional prosthetics and holographic imaging systems and galactic conquest and assimilation.

Doctor Q
Jun 17, 2011, 06:24 PM
Steve is trading in the Cube for the circle. Next he'll decide the circle could be more efficient if it was a sphere. I suspect the iDiamond to come after that.
If Apple comes out with a spherical computer, I want full credit for giving them the idea, in the 3rd paragraph of an otherwise dopey MacRumors post that I made over 8 years ago.

winston1236
Jun 17, 2011, 08:41 PM
nooooooo!

Helixc0de
Jun 17, 2011, 09:26 PM
I don't understand why apple needs to worry about updating and renovating there stores. Here in South Carolina there is 2 stores. One in Green ville which has a population of about 75,000 and one in Charleston with a population of 115,000. But here in Columbia (The capital and the largest city in South Carolina). Has a population of about 425,000 but no Apple stores. I hate having to drive 2 hours just go get a iPhone repaired or going to the genius bar. APPLE PLEASE BUILD A STORE HERE!!!!!!!

AppleScruff1
Jun 17, 2011, 10:44 PM
and rename it "Statue of InsanelyGreatness."

I'm surprised he doesn't already have statues of himself in all of the stores. He has a huge ego to feed.

tonylxxviii
Jul 10, 2011, 12:08 PM
I don't understand why apple needs to worry about updating and renovating there stores. Here in South Carolina there is 2 stores. One in Green ville which has a population of about 75,000 and one in Charleston with a population of 115,000. But here in Columbia (The capital and the largest city in South Carolina). Has a population of about 425,000 but no Apple stores. I hate having to drive 2 hours just go get a iPhone repaired or going to the genius bar. APPLE PLEASE BUILD A STORE HERE!!!!!!!

Yet here in NYC there are 3 stores in Manhattan, hell even a store in Staten Island, where's the store in Brooklyn??? And now they've closed a great bar in Grand Central to put a store where it doesn't even belong.

I love Apple and all, but enough is enough here in NYC.

MacNewsFix
Jul 10, 2011, 01:53 PM
This one is both an Apple Store AND The Louvre...

More evidence that Apple and the Illuminati (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZucVRU-h1oY) are in bed together. ;)

^^BIGMac
Jul 10, 2011, 05:13 PM
More evidence that Apple and the Illuminati (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZucVRU-h1oY) are in bed together. ;)

Anybody knows that. :p

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rocketman
Aug 9, 2011, 09:53 AM
If Apple comes out with a spherical computer, I want full credit for giving them the idea, in the 3rd paragraph of an otherwise dopey MacRumors post that I made over 8 years ago.:D I seem to have had some presages as well.

OTOH, "Oh do pay attention 007. In the wrong hands, this 12-core 2.93GHz Westmere Mac Pro could be very dangerous." seems to be quite behind the times. How about "Oh do pay attention 007. In the wrong hands, this 4 stack grid of 4-core 2GHz Core i7 Mac-Mini could be very dangerous."

Rocketman