PDA

View Full Version : Apple Patent Application Addresses Advanced 'Find My iPhone' Features and Customizability

MacRumors
Jun 16, 2011, 10:39 AM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/16/apple-patent-application-addresses-advanced-find-my-iphone-features/)

Patently Apple reports (http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2011/06/apple-reveals-new-security-features-for-find-my-iphone-part-2.html) that another newly-published patent application (http://appft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PG01&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsrchnum.html&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1=%2220110141276%22.PGNR.&OS=DN/20110141276&RS=DN/20110141276) from Apple reveals a hint at what could be the future of the company's "Find My iPhone" functionality. The proposed enhancements offer a device's owner a great deal more control over how it can be used once it is lost or stolen, as well as providing the device with smarter capabilities for detecting unauthorized usage. Among the interesting features:

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/06/find_my_iphone_patent_unauthorized.jpg

- Unauthorized usage detection: A passcode-enabled device could be programmed to automatically increase its security level after a certain number of incorrect passcode entries, moving to further secure sensitive information stored on the device or entering a surveillance mode in which it could begin collecting and transmitting audio, video, position, and other information that might help in identifying the person in possession of the device and reuniting it with its owner.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/06/find_my_iphone_patent_settings.jpg

- Selective data scrambling and wiping: The system could offer device owners a high level of customization regarding actions to be taken when a device is identified as lost or stolen. Beyond the basic remote lock and remote wipe features available with "Find My iPhone" today, the system could allow users to selectively wipe or scramble select content such as emails, contacts and passwords. Such a system could help a user avoid the need to completely wipe their device remotely, allowing other device functions to continue and increasing the chances of recovery.

- Limiting device functions: In addition to scrambling or wiping of data, the system could allow users to selectively turn on or off access to certain features and capabilities on a lost or stolen device. For example, the user could turn off phone, texting, or cellular data capabilities, features that could otherwise result in charges being made to the owner's account. Additional security features such as the disabling of VPN capabilities can also help protect corporate networks from intrusion in the event that a device is lost or stolen.

Article Link: Apple Patent Application Addresses Advanced 'Find My iPhone' Features and Customizability (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/16/apple-patent-application-addresses-advanced-find-my-iphone-features/)

jav6454
Jun 16, 2011, 10:44 AM
Interesting... become big brothers of our devices....

Thunderhawks
Jun 16, 2011, 10:45 AM
Retina or fingerprint scanning please.

Also, wouldn' t reporting the location of where the iphone actually is bring Al Franken back for more political nonsense?

World Citizen
Jun 16, 2011, 10:45 AM
We need Power up over network...
As long as I cant wake-up or power-up my device when it's shut down... I have limited use for Findmyiphone...

Most criminals know these functions... and shut the phone down until they are in a network free zone...
And then you as owner has to look 24/7 to the FMiphone application to see when he is turned on... A notification about this would be nice.

edit*
And I would like to tag a device as stolen... when its stolen. I now have to rename the device from "iPhone" to " Stolen iPhone". Because you will buy a new one, and name it "iPhone" again. Every time You look at the FMiPhone app... there will be this painful reminder of it being stolen.
And they could make a database of stolen iPhones this way... It could be handy when police will get off there butts, and go find them. They should make a quota on that!!! (Dutch Joke)

aristotle
Jun 16, 2011, 10:47 AM
Retina or fingerprint scanning please.

Also, wouldn' t reporting the location of where the iphone actually is bring Al Franken back for more political nonsense?
Al Franken should stop wasting American tax payer's money on nonsense like that. He is just desperate for attention.

Pumpkin King
Jun 16, 2011, 10:47 AM
Great ideas. I like giving them only one option, "contact me". Besides that, I can track you and record you? Sweet.

samcraig
Jun 16, 2011, 10:48 AM
Yeah - don't think I'll be turning on any feature which allows my phone to listen/view from the camera what's going on and sincerely hope such APIs are not accessible to ne'er do wells if this feature is implemented. Reminds me of the lawsuit against the school that was using the built in webcam to spy on its students.

RayK
Jun 16, 2011, 10:49 AM
And then you as owner has to look 24/7 to the FMiphone application to see when he is turned on... A notification about this would be nice.

This would be a GREAT feature.

ArtOfWarfare
Jun 16, 2011, 10:49 AM
Al Franken should stop wasting American tax payer's money on nonsense like that. He is just desperate for attention.

You bring to mind an interesting issue... why is he still in office?

jav6454
Jun 16, 2011, 10:50 AM

Then it means the device never truly powered down. I doubt it'd happen.

drewisanapple
Jun 16, 2011, 10:50 AM
Is it useful, yes, very.

Who'd ever know you needed this amount of security for your phone.

Kabeyun
Jun 16, 2011, 10:52 AM
I call first to point out that "St. John Smythe" is a reference to Roger Moore's James Bond alias in "A View To A Kill."

Resume tech thread.

:)

dagamer34
Jun 16, 2011, 10:53 AM
A wiped device is a lost device. What would be nice is make the device so useless to anyone but the original owner that there's nothing else to do but return it to Apple.

Tymmz
Jun 16, 2011, 10:56 AM
good stuff, but all i want is the device to hinder me from sending unnecessary messages when i'm drunk.

Le Big Mac
Jun 16, 2011, 11:00 AM
I call first to point out that "St. John Smythe" is a reference to Roger Moore's James Bond alias in "A View To A Kill."

Resume tech thread.

Well played, sir--I guess I would have been second to point that out.

octatonic
Jun 16, 2011, 11:00 AM

Resume tech thread.

Damn you!
That is precisely the reason I came to the thread.

wmjbobic
Jun 16, 2011, 11:01 AM
what if the guy just restores the phone?

Untaken
Jun 16, 2011, 11:05 AM
Until you can remotely prevent someone from restoring the device (which so long as DFU mode exists will be impossible), these types of security measures seem sort of useless to me. Any intelligent thief (okay, so many thieves are pretty dumb) will just turn the device off after stealing it, pull the sim card then throw the device in recovery mode when they get home and restore it.

HelveticaNeue
Jun 16, 2011, 11:05 AM
The more features like this the better. I just wish you could report your phone as stolen and have Apple remotely brick the phone even if it had been erased and reset by the criminal, leaving it utterly useless until the rightful owner informs Apple that it has been recovered. If I can't have it no one can!

bmwooden17
Jun 16, 2011, 11:12 AM
Okay this.... would be very cool. I'm really excited for this feature!

eyhk
Jun 16, 2011, 11:13 AM
This is all good for protecting your personal information in the case where you lose your device, but what if your AppleID gets hacked/stolen?

Soon with all your documents, music, email, calendars, pictures, contacts, application settings, etc backed up to the cloud, all thieves need to steal personal information is a single iPod Touch and a good phishing scheme. Just enter the stolen AppleID on the iPod Touch, sync to the cloud, and the thief has a copy of your entire phone.

I am an Apple fan and love my iPhone 4 but after being victim to iTunes account theft I'm very skeptical about Apple's focus on account security. They have gotten better since then, requesting you to re-enter the security code of your credit card if you access iTunes from a new device, but I doubt they can use that for syncing to the cloud and I'm anxious to hear more about how they plan to protect your data.

Dorje Sylas
Jun 16, 2011, 11:13 AM
Can I please get some of those reporting features enabled from the start through Profiles?! Monitoring student (K-12) activity on iOS is a difficult proposition wih current tools. Getting app and website browsing history covertly would be key to getting many school IT departments to be willing to approve their use.

eekcat
Jun 16, 2011, 11:16 AM
As long as I cant wake-up or power-up my device when it's shut down... I have limited use for Findmyiphone...

Most criminals know these functions... and shut the phone down until they are in a network free zone...

edit*
And I would like to tag a device as stolen... when its stolen. I now have to rename the device from "iPhone" to " Stolen iPhone". Because you will buy a new one, and name it "iPhone" again. Every time You look at the FMiPhone app... there will be this painful reminder of it being stolen.
And they could make a database of stolen iPhones this way... It could be handy when police will get off there butts, and go find them. They should make a quota on that!!! (Dutch Joke)

You can already set it to notify (email) you when a previously-not-found device (powered off, off-network, etc.) becomes visible again...

GQB
Jun 16, 2011, 11:17 AM

Gotta love it. Tech blogs are abuzz 24/7 with warnings about privacy and analysis of how corporations are selling our identities, but if someone steps up to make manufacturers be more responsible about it, its HIM that's suddenly the bad guy.
Amazing.

ericinboston
Jun 16, 2011, 11:18 AM
Great ideas. I like giving them only one option, "contact me". Besides that, I can track you and record you? Sweet.

I'm not a fan of the "contact me" being the only feature/choice. If that's the ONLY thing a thief/founder can do with the phone, then very likely you will never get it back. Seriously. If someone steals your phone and it's useless, they are just going to smash it or try to sell it to someone who might have hacking tools to nuke the phone back to normal.

I personally like the ability to ALSO monitor what is going on with the phone (where are they surfing, who are they calling, etc) so that I can contact the police.

tlevier
Jun 16, 2011, 11:22 AM
It'll be great when "Find my iPhone" becomes "Find my Apple". I know it's already on iPad and iPod, but the next logical step is Mac. Wouldn't it be cool if Apple embedded a cellular chip into every MacBook that operated "Find My" for free and if you wanted a data plan, you could buy it?

There's already some great stories out there about Macs getting recovered, but the owner had to wait until it got connected to the internet... I think this type of feature would be awesome.

I also reaffirm other people's concern about security related to Mail Accounts. If you go to modify settings on an existing/installed mail account, you should be prompted to re-authenticate your password.

Having a password at log-in/unlock is not enough. Friends play jokes and good Samaritans let strangers use their phone to make a call. Just because we are trusting shouldn't make us vulnerable. Trusting and Secure shouldn't be exclusive.

dustinsc
Jun 16, 2011, 11:23 AM
Wow, a patent that would have a useful implementation. There aren't too many of those appearing on this site.

tlevier
Jun 16, 2011, 11:24 AM
I'm not a fan of the "contact me" being the only feature/choice. If that's the ONLY thing a thief/founder can do with the phone, then very likely you will never get it back. Seriously. If someone steals your phone and it's useless, they are just going to smash it or try to sell it to someone who might have hacking tools to nuke the phone back to normal.

I don't think 'Contact Me' is for thieves, but rather good Samaritans who find a lost phone.

pdjudd
Jun 16, 2011, 11:27 AM
I don't think 'Contact Me' is for thieves, but rather good Samaritans who find a lost phone.

Indeed. Thieves aren't really interested in returning your property - they are interested in making a buck off the device or the info that is on said device - much harder to do in this scenario if access is restricted or auto-wiped.

tlevier
Jun 16, 2011, 11:27 AM
I also reaffirm other people's concern about security related to Mail Accounts. If you go to modify settings on an existing/installed mail account, you should be prompted to re-authenticate your password.

Having a password at log-in/unlock is not enough. Friends play jokes and good Samaritans let strangers use their phone to make a call. Just because we are trusting shouldn't make us vulnerable. Trusting and Secure shouldn't be exclusive.

Well, I feel like a monkey's uncle. Turn on "Restrictions" and disallow modifications to Mail Accounts. Only a 4-digit pin, but that's better than nothing.

tshort
Jun 16, 2011, 11:31 AM

My son had his iPhone turned off when I ran Find My iPhone, when he turned it back on in the morning, I got an email indicating it was turned back on... and where he was...

Dear MobileMe member,

XXXX's iPhone 3G was located at June 10, 2011 on 7:17 AM.

You can view this device’s location for the next 24 hours with the Find My iPhone app or at me.com/find

tjcampbell
Jun 16, 2011, 11:36 AM
This is the iPhone's best feature and it's getting even better. :D

mw360
Jun 16, 2011, 11:43 AM

And good Samaritans can only return your phone if they can unlock it and work out who the owner is. A 'contact owner' button can only make that much easier.

Of course it'll make it easier to make 'we've got your phone, loser!' type calls, but hopefully the victim would be able to respond directly with 'I've got your location and your photo.'

BruiserB
Jun 16, 2011, 11:45 AM

It's just "Lo-jack" for your phone. You should be able to track your own phone. As long as others (including Apple or the Gov't) aren't able to have access to track you.

spazzcat
Jun 16, 2011, 11:50 AM
It'll be great when "Find my iPhone" becomes "Find my Apple". I know it's already on iPad and iPod, but the next logical step is Mac. Wouldn't it be cool if Apple embedded a cellular chip into every MacBook that operated "Find My" for free and if you wanted a data plan, you could buy it?

There's already some great stories out there about Macs getting recovered, but the owner had to wait until it got connected to the internet... I think this type of feature would be awesome.

Find my Mac is in Lion....

tlevier
Jun 16, 2011, 11:52 AM
Find my Mac is in Lion....

Yeah, I knew the software part of it was coming...still waiting on the cellular portion of this.

diamond.g
Jun 16, 2011, 11:55 AM
My son had his iPhone turned off when I ran Find My iPhone, when he turned it back on in the morning, I got an email indicating it was turned back on... and where he was...

does that still happen if they put it in DFU and do a restore?

aristotle
Jun 16, 2011, 11:58 AM
Gotta love it. Tech blogs are abuzz 24/7 with warnings about privacy and analysis of how corporations are selling our identities, but if someone steps up to make manufacturers be more responsible about it, its HIM that's suddenly the bad guy.
Amazing.
Why do you think tech blogs are abuzz about this non-issue on iPhones? It is a non-issue on iOS because that data was a "CACHE" file for the benefit of the user stored on "their" device. It is in the best interest of tech blogs to keep that non-story alive to generate more traffic to their sites for ad revenue.

JCanfield
Jun 16, 2011, 12:12 PM
Indeed. Thieves aren't really interested in returning your property - they are interested in making a buck off the device or the info that is on said device - much harder to do in this scenario if access is restricted or auto-wiped.

Half right. These are generally crimes of opportunity - a thief sees a phone out in the open or in a place that has little risk of them getting caught, they steal it. They want to turn the theft into money as soon as possible, what's on it is completely irrelevant to them. The buyer, on the other hand, may be VERY interested in personal data...

gilb55
Jun 16, 2011, 12:13 PM
What would be really useful for find my iphone would be the ability for it to work with data roaming turned off. I lost my iphone abroad recently with data roaming turned off to avoid the massive charges and didn't realise that the feature wouldn't work

T-Will
Jun 16, 2011, 12:18 PM
This is all good for protecting your personal information in the case where you lose your device, but what if your AppleID gets hacked/stolen?

Soon with all your documents, music, email, calendars, pictures, contacts, application settings, etc backed up to the cloud, all thieves need to steal personal information is a single iPod Touch and a good phishing scheme. Just enter the stolen AppleID on the iPod Touch, sync to the cloud, and the thief has a copy of your entire phone.

I am an Apple fan and love my iPhone 4 but after being victim to iTunes account theft I'm very skeptical about Apple's focus on account security. They have gotten better since then, requesting you to re-enter the security code of your credit card if you access iTunes from a new device, but I doubt they can use that for syncing to the cloud and I'm anxious to hear more about how they plan to protect your data.

This is a REALLY great point. Right now it looks like our only defense is having a strong password. I wonder if any changes will be made to make our accounts more secure.

Pavia
Jun 16, 2011, 12:20 PM
I'm sad that no one has yet pointed out the differences in the spelling of the person's name.
St. John Smythe and St. John Smyth.

It is in my nature to correct :(

samcraig
Jun 16, 2011, 12:26 PM
So my comment now has a -4? Interesting. I guess caring about security isn't a popular opinion?

Mak47
Jun 16, 2011, 12:27 PM
These are all great features. Most phones have been capable of transmitting audio/video remotely for law enforcement purposes for years--thanks Apple for making that functionality visible and available for the actual owner of the device.

Most people commenting so far are assuming these features are for stolen phones--remember that far more phones are lost than are stolen. Even many that are stolen are often simple pranks among friends rather than legitimate thefts. These features will be great for those who have lost their phones.

Currently I can get an approximate gps position of my iPhone, with this I can get that, plus images of the surroundings, thereby making it easier to find. Good stuff.

rjohnstone
Jun 16, 2011, 12:35 PM
What they need to implement is the ability to remote brick the phone.
Wiping data and scrambling content is nice, but it still leaves the phone in a usable state.
Most thieves just want the phone. They couldn't care less about the data on it.

Give us a remote nuclear option that turns the phone into a paperweight. :D

Of course none of these solutions work if the thief pops the SIM card and powers down the phone.

CallistoJag
Jun 16, 2011, 12:38 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Is that an iPhone 5?

klamse25
Jun 16, 2011, 12:42 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Do you all understand the concept of a patent? This very well may not be on the iPhone.

JAT
Jun 16, 2011, 12:46 PM
You bring to mind an interesting issue... why is he still in office?
He just got there. It seems to me that all new members of Congress, probably esp Senators, attempt to make themselves known right away by jumping on or making up some publicized bill. SOP, really.
Then it means the device never truly powered down. I doubt it'd happen.
Mine never is, so I guess I'm fine with that.

Dr Kevorkian94
Jun 16, 2011, 12:52 PM
i like find my iphone but a thief with half a brain can turn the iphone off so it not much use, i still use it though

ratzzo
Jun 16, 2011, 12:53 PM
This is great. But any thief with a brain will simply surpass these security levels by taking the SIM out and wiping the iOS new. Until they develop a long-term and solid option that can't be rewritten or restored, all of these improvements are only half useful in my opinion. But better to have something than nothing, in case the burglar doesn't turn out to be the wisest.

KirkL
Jun 16, 2011, 01:00 PM
This is great. But any thief with a brain will simply surpass these security levels by taking the SIM out and wiping the iOS new. Until they develop a long-term and solid option that can't be rewritten or restored, all of these improvements are only half useful in my opinion. But better to have something than nothing, in case the burglar doesn't turn out to be the wisest.

How many run of the mill iPhone thieves know how to wipe the iOS new?

jacollins
Jun 16, 2011, 01:22 PM
Where's the part where it automagically wipes the phone when someone plugs a Cellebrite device into it?

morespce54
Jun 16, 2011, 01:23 PM
...Reminds me of the lawsuit against the school that was using the built in webcam to spy on its students.

Are you talking about "Rights of privacy"? Man, that's sooooo 2008... ;)

ritmomundo
Jun 16, 2011, 01:34 PM
what would make this even better is to find a way to prevent the thief from A) powering down (by disabling the top button) and/or B) restoring the device after the owner has remotely locked it

diamond.g
Jun 16, 2011, 01:42 PM
what would make this even better is to find a way to prevent the thief from A) powering down (by disabling the top button) and/or B) restoring the device after the owner has remotely locked it

The easy way around that is to overheat the device. It would power down to protect itself (try leaving your iphone in the car during a hot summer day...)

sysiphus
Jun 16, 2011, 01:46 PM

Resume tech thread.

Well done, I was going to do the same :P
Awful Bond movie, though.
I wonder what prompted that particular reference for this patent application?

miamialley
Jun 16, 2011, 01:58 PM
Yeah how about an easier unlocking method than a stupid passcode. Gestures, finger recognition?

ritmomundo
Jun 16, 2011, 01:59 PM
The easy way around that is to overheat the device. It would power down to protect itself (try leaving your iphone in the car during a hot summer day...)

lol thats true. but that would require a pretty smart thief, to think of that. the way it is right now, its just way too easy for someone to get around the Find My iPhone lock/gps tracker.

imageWIS
Jun 16, 2011, 02:03 PM

Resume tech thread.

Beat me to it! :)

sleazy
Jun 16, 2011, 02:53 PM
The app Called IGotYa has all the features and more.

what the app does is apply security to the device when lock code is turned on...
so the thief grabs the phone it has a lock code right away he try s to power down.... this has been disabled by the app..... then he try s to put in dfu thats been disabled by app... then he try s lock code....or try s lock code right away when grabbed....first failed attempt the app turns on fount cam takes a pic secretly and emails the photo to your inbox with location and image of thief... very good if thief is known to you...but what it also does is allow if you wish to un lock the phone after two attempts but locks phones outgoing calls and answering of calls but still allows access to wifi and joins via open or unencrypted wifi in the area to send geotracking say thief's driving or walking along coffee shops or mc'dicks it will use the wifi connection to track the phone

It has many other features as well...remote wipe....msg.......turn on 2 min ring evan on silent....what still is lacking is remote power on...phones gets to a certain level and keeps a reserve to allows this feature like remote power on and 2 min ring to find the thief or if its in the thief's house and your talking to him you remote turn on and 2 min ring how great would that be...

Dcuellar
Jun 16, 2011, 03:28 PM
No matter what security measures they take with FindmyiPhone can't the person who found/stole the device simply put it in DFU Mode?

MaSx
Jun 16, 2011, 03:34 PM
This feature would be great but a thief can simply turn it off and take out the sim card, DFU or Custom Firmware Restore...or etc. Done!

Good for nothing, in the end.

oceanwest
Jun 16, 2011, 03:36 PM
hope there are safeguards in place when you scramble your data on the phone, that it doesn't start a cascade scramble by syncing with iCloud then all your contacts on all other devices become scrambled.

Jun 16, 2011, 04:51 PM
The Find Iphone should be tied to the UDID.

That way if the thief was to reinstall IOS the Find Iphone would stop it from being activated, Leaving the device a brick to them.

Or it doesn't appear to activate but it reactivates the tracking

miografico
Jun 16, 2011, 05:52 PM
Another ridiculous software patent.

Nothing more than networking software sending commands to a device with a gps chip and a 3g/cdma modem - which then interprets those commands and performs an action once again software wise.

So, is the next company that develops a similar network/software subsystem for one of their mobile devices in violation of this patent if its application is approved?

Second bs patent application on Macrumors in one day.

If we had access to a host of system hooks in the API any one of us developers could create a find my phone with these features, and it wouldn't be novel then either.

The first patent news report today is even worse because all of that could be done in an application by any iOS development firm, using their own network and Apple's push API.

I so long for a world where only hardware could be patented and software was under copyright laws.

DirtySocks85
Jun 16, 2011, 07:56 PM
This feature keeps getting better and better, but it has a long way to go before it's ideal.

I think it would be wonderful to be able to turn on Find My iPhone at some level that would require one's iTunes Password or a PIN to do a restore on the phone (thus keeping a thief from doing a restore to get rid of it), of course I assume that this would require a new bootrom that changes how DFU mode works as well. I think the market value of stolen iPhones would drop tremendously if we found a simple and universal way to make all stolen iPhones useless to anyone except the rightful owner.

ryanwarsaw
Jun 17, 2011, 12:13 AM
Yeah how about an easier unlocking method than a stupid passcode. Gestures, finger recognition?

Fingerprint recognition?

douglaswilliams
Jun 17, 2011, 07:15 AM
Does it look like to anyone else that there is a joypad integrated into that iPhone diagram?

douglaswilliams
Jun 17, 2011, 07:32 AM

What's easier than "slide to unlock" ??? I doesn't get much easier than that.

Now, if you meant to say you want a more secure way, how about an iris scan with the front camera? They would have to take your head to unlock it.

rjohnstone
Jun 17, 2011, 10:11 AM
Fingerprint recognition?
This already exists on another phone... it's cool for about 5 minutes.
Then it becomes cumbersome.

funnyent
Jun 17, 2011, 10:13 AM
what if the guy just restores the phone?

Well, that sucks for you then... There's nothing you can do anymore

ZMDK
Jun 18, 2011, 03:43 PM
LOL, yet another thing apple is stealing.
Samsung already had this more then a year ago.
I can sum up some others to: Prey, Lookout, Where's my Droid, SeekDroid, Phonelocater, Droidring, FindMyPhone, AVG mobile,............
Let other company think, take their ideas and patent them, then sue their asses :cool:

Ihatefall
Jun 19, 2011, 07:31 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Anyone else notice the strange locations of the sensors and that weird box with the 4 arrows? I know someone else asked if this was the iPhone 5, but I agree that it could be

gnasher729
Jun 19, 2011, 08:24 AM
I'm not a fan of the "contact me" being the only feature/choice. If that's the ONLY thing a thief/founder can do with the phone, then very likely you will never get it back. Seriously.

You live in a sad world. I would think that if a phone is lost and found and the "founder" (sic) found a big button on the phone to contact the rightful owner, then they would press that button. Maybe Apple should make the button red and write "don't press" on the button, because nobody can resist a red button that says "don't press".

MorphingDragon
Jun 19, 2011, 08:28 AM
More useless patents I need not worry about.

LOL, yet another thing apple is stealing.
Samsung already had this more then a year ago.
I can sum up some others to: Prey, Lookout, Where's my Droid, SeekDroid, Phonelocater, Droidring, FindMyPhone, AVG mobile,............
Let other company think, take their ideas and patent them, then sue their asses :cool:

America, let me show you to them.

tjernis
Jun 22, 2011, 10:36 AM
Well done, I was going to do the same :P
Awful Bond movie, though.
I wonder what prompted that particular reference for this patent application?

Probably not a coincidence that the excellent 5by5 podcast, The Talk Show, with Dan Benjamin and John Gruber, talked about this Bond movie just a little while before this patent application came out.

The Talk Show have a long running feature where they watch all the Bond movies in order and discuss them on the show. They're now up to the Timothy Dalton ones.