PDA

View Full Version : Mac NAS enclosure

Lucagfc
Jun 16, 2011, 03:27 PM
Hi

I' m searching to a really simple NAS enclosure to Share on the network my 2TB S-ATA HDD. Can anyone suggest me a simple enclosure with a little price that works well? thanks!

balamw
Jun 16, 2011, 08:47 PM
You should probably elaborate.

What are the clients. All Macs? Does it need to share with Windows/Linux too?

Is this an empty drive or is there data already on it you need to share? What format is it in HFS+? NTFS? EXT2/3? FAT? ....

How low is low cost? Do you mean < $200? $100? $50....

B

nightfly13
Jun 16, 2011, 10:54 PM
You should probably elaborate.

What are the clients. All Macs? Does it need to share with Windows/Linux too?

Is this an empty drive or is there data already on it you need to share? What format is it in HFS+? NTFS? EXT2/3? FAT? ....

How low is low cost? Do you mean < $200? $100? $50....

B

Great questions. Without knowing the answers, Synology ds110j is my suggestion.

Lucagfc
Jun 17, 2011, 03:06 AM
I use only Mac Client (MacBook Pro, Apple TV and iOS devices). The HDD is empty and i prefer to spend less than 100$ Thanks!

balamw
Jun 17, 2011, 05:35 AM
I use only Mac Client (MacBook Pro, Apple TV and iOS devices). The HDD is empty and i prefer to spend less than 100$ Thanks!

The <$100 devices you will find are better suited to Windows environments. The Synology unit ia a bit more expensive but will do a good job of supporting your devices.

You could look at Macsales/OWC for other Mac-y options...

The rumored iOS time capsule might even serve your ATV if and when it comes out...

B

Lucagfc
Jun 17, 2011, 06:22 AM
I need to find something that is easy to buy here in Italy. OWC shipment to Italy cost 60 $ !! I search for the Synology ds110j now....