PDA

View Full Version : Single to Dual G4--worth it?

sysiphus
Jun 16, 2011, 03:50 PM
I can pick up a dual 800MHz processor+heatsink for ~$20 locally which would swap into my 867MHz Quicksilver with no fuss. I'm probably going to be using this machine at least through the end of the calendar year. Worth the time/trouble/cost?

(For reference, I'm using it for Mail/Office/Firefox/iTunes/VLC/light Java development)

I hesitate to pour much $$ into an old outdated platform, but dual processors is tempting...

ashman70
Jun 16, 2011, 04:02 PM
It may only be $20 and your time, however it may also bring headaches if things don't go as planned. The axiom 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it' may apply here. What are dual processors going to do for you that make this a compelling upgrade?

4JNA
Jun 16, 2011, 04:31 PM
not worth it for your workload. will not make anything faster (maybe if you have all those apps open at once... doubtful) and will not help with resale at the end of the calendar year. save yourself the time/money/hassle.

stick the $20 in a saving account and earn a bit of interest towards what is to replace the 867. best of luck.

sysiphus
Jun 16, 2011, 05:28 PM
Thanks for the input. I was tempted primarily because I see the processor usage spike to 100% when loading content-heavy webpages (not even talking about streaming video), and thought I might be able to alleviate this.

Sounds like I should think twice, though...

uller6
Jun 17, 2011, 10:18 PM
These old G4s are really CPU limited, my dual 1.25 maxes out all the time running safari as well. The dual would probably save you some time, but you're still going to be surfing the Internet at a crawl.