PDA

View Full Version : Video of iOS 5 Demoed on iPad

MacRumors
Jun 16, 2011, 04:33 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/16/video-of-ios-5-demoed-on-ipad/)

ZkWokTEYwtA
YouTube user InfoZenn (http://www.youtube.com/user/InfoZenn) has posted a very nice walkthrough of iOS 5 on an iPad. Amongst many of the new features, he also shows off some of the new multi-touch gestures that were originally tested in iOS 4.3. Swiping can be used to switch applications (left/right) or to bring up the multitasking bar (up). Pinching with four or five fingers can also be used to return to the home screen. iOS 5 is due for release sometime this fall.

Article Link: Video of iOS 5 Demoed on iPad (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/16/video-of-ios-5-demoed-on-ipad/)

BLACKFRIDAY
Jun 16, 2011, 04:37 PM
Please take the responsibility of converting videos from Flash as not everybody has flash installed their machines or iOS devices?

Thanks

Illuminated
Jun 16, 2011, 04:42 PM
That's sexy.

arn
Jun 16, 2011, 04:43 PM
Please take the responsibility of converting videos from Flash as not everybody has flash installed their machines or iOS devices?

Thanks

This video works fine on iOS devices. YouTube also serves up non-flash content if you have things configured properly.

arn

silusesMac
Jun 16, 2011, 04:45 PM

Thanks

Theres a great web browser in the app store that detects flash video on your iOS device and it will be converted so that you can watch it, its a must need app called "Sky Fire"

strabes
Jun 16, 2011, 04:46 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8J2)

Great video. iOS 5 is going to be a great release!

chrmjenkins
Jun 16, 2011, 04:46 PM
This video works fine on iOS devices. YouTube also serves up non-flash content if you have things configured properly.

arn

I think you have to try to get youtube to not work on an iOS device.

That being said, iOS 5 looks great. Never having to use the home button = win.

Theres a great web browser in the app store that detects flash video on your iOS device and it will be converted so that you can watch it, its a must need app called "Sky Fire"

This post brought to you by Sky Fire mobile browser for iOS.

silusesMac
Jun 16, 2011, 04:47 PM
I seriously do hope that with iOS 5, the output size while mirroring to a TV, will be bigger preferably wide screen, those black bars on the sides really do bug me.

nagromme
Jun 16, 2011, 04:49 PM
Thanks for the video demo! Can’t wait for fall. Those gestures will encourage me to use multi-app workflows in a much more desktop-like way.

(It’s odd to me how everyone seems to use an awkward “claw” motion for the 4-finger swipes. A flat-hand swipe is much easier than just using the very fingertips. In other words, you can swipe just like you’d do with 1, 2 or 3 fingers--only with 4 or 5. It doesn’t matter what angle your fingertips are lined up at, so you don’t have to turn your hand sideways for a sideways swipe. Yet I can’t find a single video on YouTube that doesn’t use “the claw”!)

I think you have to try to get youtube to not work on an iOS device.

Sometimes there is a short delay, after the video goes onto YouTube, before the non-Flash conversion is ready. For brand-new videos I sometimes have to re-try.

Novice25
Jun 16, 2011, 04:51 PM
You can set up your router from the iPad? Nice!!!!

AdeFowler
Jun 16, 2011, 04:53 PM

Thanks

I watched it on my iPad. What's the problem?

42streetsdown
Jun 16, 2011, 04:54 PM
the gesture capability looks awesome and very useful.

bgmesh3
Jun 16, 2011, 04:55 PM
This needs one of those patented Apple-ad "sequences shortened" disclaimers.

PorterRocks
Jun 16, 2011, 05:02 PM
You can set up your router from the iPad? Nice!!!!

I think they had to build that in as part of the "PC Free" feature of iOS 5. In case someone wants to use an iPad and/or iPhone as their only computing device.

redgaz26
Jun 16, 2011, 05:28 PM
i have ios5 running on my ipad but the gestures are no where to be found in the settings?? do you need to run xcode on the mac to run these like i did with 4.3?? strange:confused::confused:

BLACKFRIDAY
Jun 16, 2011, 05:34 PM

arn

I watched it on my iPad. What's the problem?

Whoops. I apologize in that case. I am posting from OS X Lion Safari and I don't have flash on this machine, yet. I do have HTML5 beta switched on; but still couldn't get the video. Instead, I'd to switch over to Chrome to get this running.

If you don't mind, can you explain those settings required to get Youtube to play this particular video?

Regards

ChrisDaMan
Jun 16, 2011, 05:49 PM

Thanks
On iOS, YouTube videos from the browsers are automatically launched via in browser player.
And if you don't have flash then where the heck are you? Under a rock?

baryon
Jun 16, 2011, 05:53 PM
Great video! But is that ... Comic Sans at the very end? :eek: lol

BLACKFRIDAY
Jun 16, 2011, 05:55 PM
On iOS, YouTube videos from the browsers are automatically launched via in browser player.

No. Under a roof. :rolleyes:

What if I need to watch this video on my mac without flash?

haruhiko
Jun 16, 2011, 05:59 PM

Thanks

I just watched it on my iPad with Safari!

haruhiko
Jun 16, 2011, 06:01 PM
Whoops. I apologize in that case. I am posting from OS X Lion Safari and I don't have flash on this machine, yet. I do have HTML5 beta switched on; but still couldn't get the video. Instead, I'd to switch over to Chrome to get this running.

If you don't mind, can you explain those settings required to get Youtube to play this particular video?

Regards

Flash is included in the Google Chrome package. So technically you already have Flash on your computer.

BLACKFRIDAY
Jun 16, 2011, 06:04 PM
Flash is included in the Google Chrome package. So technically you already have Flash on your computer.

That isn't the point. People use safari as well. I bet lots of them.

Cynicalone
Jun 16, 2011, 06:04 PM
I have the gestures on my iPad running 4.3.3 and they work very well.

So many new features in iOS 5, should be a nice update in the fall.

kuwisdelu
Jun 16, 2011, 06:05 PM

Regards

An extension like ClickToFlash will replace the Flash version with the HTML5 version automatically.

oiuh151
Jun 16, 2011, 06:06 PM

http://www.verticalforest.com/2010/10/27/youtube5-version-2/

Cynicalone
Jun 16, 2011, 06:10 PM
Here is a link to get the gestures without much effort.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/14/how-to-enable-multitasking-gestures-in-ios-4-3/

pbush25
Jun 16, 2011, 06:28 PM
So I hate to be a buzz kill or whatever, but what ever happened to the non-disclosure agreement you electronically signed to have access to the developer previews? That's supposed to be for developers, not so people can have early access to private software, show it off to their friends, then post illegal videos on YouTube. Seriously.

reactions
Jun 16, 2011, 06:35 PM
So I hate to be a buzz kill or whatever, but what ever happened to the non-disclosure agreement you electronically signed to have access to the developer previews? That's supposed to be for developers, not so people can have early access to private software, show it off to their friends, then post illegal videos on YouTube. Seriously.

Lol this guy

Did u close your eyes during the WWDC?

Those features were shown; if u want everything to be a surprise (lame) don't click.

ChrisDaMan
Jun 16, 2011, 06:35 PM

So why are you running without flash?!
Unless Lion doesn't support flash which = LOLOL

Nobita
Jun 16, 2011, 06:36 PM
Hmmm, is it just me or the multitasking gestures are not available on iPad 1?

oiuh151
Jun 16, 2011, 06:42 PM
So why are you running without flash?!
Unless Lion doesn't support flash which = LOLOL
Lion supports browser plug-ins, which means it supports Flash. It supports everything Snow Leopard did with the exception of Rosetta.

Maybe he's not running it because it's awful?

You can easily get away without running Flash using an HTML5 conversion extension and an iPad user agent string.

pbush25
Jun 16, 2011, 06:42 PM
Lol this guy

Did u close your eyes during the WWDC?

Those features were shown; if u want everything to be a surprise (lame) don't click.

Of course I saw them, I was there. And it's not about things being a surprise, people just pay the $100 so they can have it on their devices and then post things on YouTube. Yes these things were demonstrated at WWDC, but they dont belong on YouTube. Apple has their own demonstration videos on their website. Go watch those.

jowie
Jun 16, 2011, 06:44 PM
This needs one of those patented Apple-ad "sequences shortened" disclaimers.
Darn it, I came on here to make that joke.

Slurpy2k8
Jun 16, 2011, 06:48 PM
I seriously do hope that with iOS 5, the output size while mirroring to a TV, will be bigger preferably wide screen, those black bars on the sides really do bug me.

Don't see how that will be possible, as they'd basically need to redo the entire interface for a 16:9 ratio.. which I doubt they would do simply for mirroring. But I agree, there should be a way to force it to stretch, even if it does distort a little.

reactions
Jun 16, 2011, 06:50 PM
Of course I saw them, I was there. And it's not about things being a surprise, people just pay the $100 so they can have it on their devices and then post things on YouTube. Yes these things were demonstrated at WWDC, but they dont belong on YouTube. Apple has their own demonstration videos on their website. Go watch those.

I did watch those and they didn't cover everything.

U know I can write in all caps with my iPad 2 in iOS 5?

Yah and I'm not a dev either.

pbush25
Jun 16, 2011, 06:54 PM
U know I can write in all caps with my iPad 2 in iOS 5?

You know that "you" has three letters in it? And if you're trying to make a joke there, you lost me on it. Didn't even make any sense.

foiden
Jun 16, 2011, 06:57 PM
Very nice. I love the features, and it really kind of looks like they're bringing the Lion experience to iPad. Or more so, it looks almost like an iPad rendition of Mission Control. It seems like a convenience, but it looks to highly increase the speed and productivity of iPad use. Kind of almost a new desktop feel without becoming a desktop.

The video was also done pretty nice. Almost like an Apple promo video, in a way.

*LTD*
Jun 16, 2011, 06:57 PM
Damn. This isn't an OS. It's art.

Pretty much the highest expression of a mobile OS.

Dr Kevorkian94
Jun 16, 2011, 07:19 PM
i like it, and have it. its a bit buggy especially on the iphone. on the ipad there is one bug im aware of and it is when the ipad just shuts off randomly.

1986alexander
Jun 16, 2011, 07:19 PM
Damn. This isn't an OS. It's art.

Pretty much the highest expression of a mobile OS.

Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works. SJ

reactions
Jun 16, 2011, 09:02 PM
You know that "you" has three letters in it? And if you're trying to make a joke there, you lost me on it. Didn't even make any sense.

Are u seriously having trouble comprehending u = you

Obviously your feelings are hurt; please PM so I can play a violin for u

Nobita
Jun 16, 2011, 09:03 PM
Anyone care to steer the conversation back to the topic? My iPad 1 running iOS 5 beta does not have multitasking gestures... :(

zin
Jun 17, 2011, 03:21 AM
I really hope those gestures make it to the first generation iPad.

Kieranic
Jun 17, 2011, 03:45 AM
I really hope those gestures make it to the first generation iPad.

I really don't see why they wouldn't to be honest.

jowie
Jun 17, 2011, 03:51 AM
But they already have. I'm using them now :)

caspersoong
Jun 17, 2011, 06:19 AM
I know it seems odd but I am still disappointed that there is no multitasking gestures for iPod touch and iPhone. I use it on my jailbroken iPod touch all the time. Seems like I have to continue jailbreaking for the feature.

zin
Jun 17, 2011, 06:55 AM

In iOS 5?

Nobita
Jun 17, 2011, 08:50 AM

I don't see it in iOS 5 either.

reactions
Jun 17, 2011, 08:54 AM
Just another classic case that apple removes features from a phone so u buy the newer one.

Remember how the 3G iPhone didn't support wallpapers?!

Wallpapers people!

Lol the 2g didn't have mms but the 3G did

In iOS 5?

I don't see it in iOS 5 either.

Darth.Titan
Jun 17, 2011, 09:05 AM
Just another classic case that apple removes features from a phone so u buy the newer one.

Remember how the 3G iPhone didn't support wallpapers?!

Wallpapers people!

Lol the 2g didn't have mms but the 3G did

I just don't think it's feasible to do 3 and 4 finger gestures on a screen the size of an iPhone's. Most people would find it difficult and inconsistent.

DaGreat01
Jun 17, 2011, 09:11 AM
I just don't think it's feasible to do 3 and 4 finger gestures on a screen the size of an iPhone's. Most people would find it difficult and inconsistent.

This is true. I tried it on my iPhone, and since I don't usually hold my phone with two hands, it's pointless.

jonnysods
Jun 17, 2011, 11:23 AM
Does this not work for iPad 1?

blow45
Jun 17, 2011, 12:13 PM

arn

You should post to html5, it's your responsibility as content providers.

ravenvii
Jun 17, 2011, 05:46 PM
Wow, the new notifications looks much better on the iPad, doesn't it? When I first saw it on the iPhone, it inspired an "meh" reaction.

But it does look great on the iPad.

dantiston
Jun 17, 2011, 09:45 PM

Thanks

Youtube5 FTW!

MoreAwesomeDanU
Jun 17, 2011, 10:35 PM
Videos like this makes me wonder why would any other company even try to compete with the iPad...

PatrickCocoa
Jun 18, 2011, 09:50 PM

Actually he's under a rock with me. Well, not WITH me. But I've installed the Lion Beta and haven't bothered to install Flash on it. Partly because I'm lazy, partly as an experiment to see if I can exist and live a full and productive life without it (like on iOS).

PatrickCocoa
Jun 18, 2011, 09:54 PM
Don't see how that will be possible, as they'd basically need to redo the entire interface for a 16:9 ratio.. which I doubt they would do simply for mirroring. But I agree, there should be a way to force it to stretch, even if it does distort a little.

Stretch is evil. Please no stretch. And no option for stretch, so I can sleep at night knowing everyone is watching things in the correct perspective.

If you don't like the black bars, put some duct tape over them and pretend they're something behind the tape.

chrono1081
Jun 18, 2011, 10:52 PM
Thats odd, I already have those pinch gestures...(the one to close the app instead of using the home button) and I'm on iOS 4....

Nobita
Jun 19, 2011, 12:01 AM
Thats odd, I already have those pinch gestures...(the one to close the app instead of using the home button) and I'm on iOS 4....

Yeah, that was in iOS 4, then they stripped it away in iOS 5 for ipad 1 users (I think)

powers74
Jun 20, 2011, 10:45 AM
Is that really how fast it is? That's flippin fast. Nice features. Looking forward to 5.

kiljoy616
Jun 20, 2011, 12:18 PM
Nice, but most of all the UI seems to be really fast, to bad we still have to wait such a long long time in computer days. :p

blackNBUK
Jun 20, 2011, 02:14 PM
Stretch is evil. Please no stretch. And no option for stretch, so I can sleep at night knowing everyone is watching things in the correct perspective.

If you don't like the black bars, put some duct tape over them and pretend they're something behind the tape.

I totally, totally agree! Circles should be circular and squares should be square. End Of Story!

FA22raptero
Jun 23, 2011, 04:11 PM
I have an iPad, iPhone and MacBook, which is sweet because now all of my devices talk seamlessly! However, when iOS 5 comes out, do you have to buy an additional copy for each device or will one copy be compatible with all of the devices?

Nobita
Jun 23, 2011, 07:32 PM
I have an iPad, iPhone and MacBook, which is sweet because now all of my devices talk seamlessly! However, when iOS 5 comes out, do you have to buy an additional copy for each device or will one copy be compatible with all of the devices?

It's free for iOS devices.

If you want to have iCloud integration with your MacBook, get Lion for $30.