Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adcx64

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 17, 2008
Philadelphia
When you download iOS 5, after buying the developer account, does it come in the form of an .ipsw file for iPad?

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
The downloads from the developer site are dmg files. The mounted dmg contains an .ipsw. There is a different download for each supported device.

adcx64

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 17, 2008
Philadelphia
All of my macs are PPC based, are the DMG files Intel only? If that is possible.
Also, once I update, if something happens to my iPad 2, will the retail store still take it back?

RodThePlod

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
London
All of my macs are PPC based, are the DMG files Intel only? If that is possible.
Also, once I update, if something happens to my iPad 2, will the retail store still take it back?

A DMG can be expanded on either platform.

Remember, though, that this is beta software; It won't be as stable as the OS you're already running on your iPad. For example, you'll find that Safari will crash for no apparent reason in the middle of browsing. You'll also find that videos won't play properly, etc.

Things like this are to be expected in beta software, so you should think carefully before installing.

Also - in oder to install iOS 5 beta, you'll need to first download and install a beta version of iTunes (also available through the developers portal).

If you're not a developer I'd recommend skipping this initial beta and either waiting for one of the upcoming updates or even for the full release version.

RTP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.