PDA

View Full Version : Modern Pro Tools Question.

Soundburst
Jun 16, 2011, 05:15 PM
Hey guys,

I used Pro Tools LE 7.4 for most of my Uni studies. Production, and also sound design.

I then used Pro Tools LE 8 with it's nice interface for my Masters on my Uni computer.

I'm now looking to upgrade my 7.4 however, I've just saw that DigiDesign have become Avid.

When I bought my mbox mini for 200 I got Pro Tools LE 7 with it.

I've looked up the new mbox minis and to get one that comes with pro tools 9 it's 550!

I've since found that you can get an 80 interface that comes with Pro Tools SE.

Can someone tell me if Pro Tools SE is basically the same feature set as Pro Tools LE? Or have avid just upped the price of the mbox mini 200% just for no reason.

Thanks a lot for any help.

The 80 looks a bargain so I might buy it just to get the software if it's as fully featured as my pro tools LE (but newer) and then use it with that interface, but also my own mbox mini too (as its USB and has a microphone connector so should be compatible with the new softwares).

dj-anon
Jun 17, 2011, 01:55 PM
Pro Tools SE can only handle 16 tracks. Assuming you have an Mbox Mini 2, you do not really need a new interface to use Pro Tools 8, but you should get Pro Tools 9 anyway.

Soundburst
Jun 17, 2011, 05:26 PM
Pro Tools SE can only handle 16 tracks. Assuming you have an Mbox Mini 2, you do not really need a new interface to use Pro Tools 8, but you should get Pro Tools 9 anyway.

Thanks for the answer mate.

I could survive with 16 tracks (that's the same as Pro Tools LE?).

Pro Tools 9 on its own is 400.

Or I can get Pro Tools SE with a smaller device for 80. . .and instead of using that device just use my own mbox.

Wasn't sure if SE was the same as Pro Tools 9 except with less tracks.

zimv20
Jun 17, 2011, 06:36 PM
I could survive with 16 tracks (that's the same as Pro Tools LE?).
iirc, PTLE 7 (and other versions) could play up to 32 tracks simultaneously, and output 18.

Wasn't sure if SE was the same as Pro Tools 9 except with less tracks.
looks like SE is packaged differently and targeted differently, not just a stripped down PT9.

Soundburst
Jun 18, 2011, 05:48 PM
Ok thanks mate.

Still probably my best option.

Hopefully I can do some sound design (well, editing sounds - importing a video, and syncing the audio and video).

Thanks.

carylee2002
Jun 19, 2011, 07:26 PM
Protools 9 also have more tracks, OMF transfer capability (bye bye digitranslater) ,timecode and can use core audio. Much better than LE.