Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ketema@ketema.n

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2005
Hello all, I was wondering if I could get some help with setting up a simple C project with Xcode. I am tgransitioning to mac programming and an very used to Visual Studio. I want to make a simple C project that can be debugged in the xcode interface, but I don't want any of the Cocoa headers yet, just a plain C project with one .C source file. What is the proper way of getting this set up with xcode? So far I have tried an empty project, but when I add a source file I can't build it, or debug it. The menus are grayed out. I then tried adding a target(even though I'm not exactly sure what that means) and although by debug and build options were availble they didn't work, got a message saying no launchable executable present to run.

Please help me get started with Xcode.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
When you create a new project select Standard Tool from under Command Line Utility. You should now be able to create a "normal" C command line application without Cocoa (or Carbon).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.