Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Noisemaker

Original poster
Mar 13, 2009
Are there any apps that allow you to design a website on an iPad?

I do some freelance web design, and while my iMac is perfect, some clients prefer that I sit with them and design the site at their home or office so they can state specifics.

I'd love to be able to work directly from my iPad when away from my iMac. Are there any apps available that allow that kind of thing?

beangibbs

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2011
Hey there.
No, there's not an app for doing everything as far as creating content all in one place.
But, here's what I'd suggest: Inkapd and Sketchbook Pro.
Inkpad is a vector based application with some serious power. You can layout all the text and such, create lines that can act as slices, much like Photoshop or Illustrator.
Just save your text and "slices" as an image and import them into SketchBook, and you can divvy up the content from there.

That's the way I would go about it. If you find better apps or a better way, do share. I'm always interested to see how other people's work flows.

Best of luck!

ksmith80209

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2007
Check out "iMockups" for the iPad. It's a decent wireframing app similar to what you might get with Balsamiq. I've found it really useful for designing sites & apps on the fly. It's not perfect, but the best I've found for the iPad.

(edit: this assumes you are trying to find an app for design, not actual production)

Noisemaker

Original poster
Mar 13, 2009
Check out "iMockups" for the iPad. It's a decent wireframing app similar to what you might get with Balsamiq. I've found it really useful for designing sites & apps on the fly. It's not perfect, but the best I've found for the iPad.

(edit: this assumes you are trying to find an app for design, not actual production)

I'm looking for something that will go through design and production, so that I can sit with a client so that they can see the site's progress, and then have it published all at once.

If there's not something like that (which I'd be shocked if there was), will iMockups be good enough to give a client an idea of the site's finished version so that I can then build the actual site with a more powerful app on my iMac?

DuckSoup

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2008
Upstate Central NY
Until you find a stand alone app for something like this, what about something like SplashTop Remote?

Leave your home MAC on, install Splashtop Streamer on your MAC, Splashtop Remote on your iPad and home PC and then you can remotely log into your MAC from the field and actually use your home MAC from the clients business. Basically your iPad becomes a remote touchscreen second monitor to your MAC.

I use it to update one of my websites when I am not at home. It's a sports site and as scores roll in I can update and edit my website's Latest Scores scrolling marquee from my iPad. I then publish it. All from my seat in the bleechers, the pressbox or my car.

The app is on sale this weekend for $2. Worth the 2$ to at least check it out and give it a test run.

Mike

Last edited:

Noisemaker

Original poster
Mar 13, 2009
Until you find a stand alone app for something like this, what about something like SplashTop Remote?

Leave your home MAC on, install Splashtop Streamer on your MAC, Splashtop Remote on your iPad and home PC and then you can remotely log into your MAC from the field and actually use your home MAC from the clients business. Basically your iPad becomes a remote touchscreen second monitor to your MAC.

I use it to update one of my websites when I am not at home. It's a sports site and as scores roll in I can update and edit my website's Latest Scores scrolling marquee from my iPad. I then publish it. All from my seat in the bleechers, the pressbox or my car.

The app is on sale this weekend for $2. Worth the 2$ to at least check it out and give it a test run.

Mike

Thanks for the tip - I actually have Splashtop Remote, but I've never gotten it to work when my iPad isn't on the same network as my iMac.

I'll mess around with it a bit more and see what I can do. It could be a nice solution - and definitely cheaper than buying a MacBook Air or something to do work on the go.

DuckSoup

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2008
Upstate Central NY
Thanks for the tip - I actually have Splashtop Remote, but I've never gotten it to work when my iPad isn't on the same network as my iMac.

I'll mess around with it a bit more and see what I can do. It could be a nice solution - and definitely cheaper than buying a MacBook Air or something to do work on the go.

Oops. Typo in my reply. I meant I PLAN to use it when away from home. Haven't done so yet. Only from my own network so far. All the reviews though that I've seen have mentioned using it "away from home", so it must be doable.

Going to have to give it a try this week from work.

Mike

ksmith80209

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2007
I'm looking for something that will go through design and production, so that I can sit with a client so that they can see the site's progress, and then have it published all at once.

If there's not something like that (which I'd be shocked if there was), will iMockups be good enough to give a client an idea of the site's finished version so that I can then build the actual site with a more powerful app on my iMac?

iMockups is really a wireframing tool — it wouldn't give them any sense of the visual treatment for the site (colors, gradients, etc.) I use it as a layout tool to design where the site components would be located (buttons, drop-downs, etc). I'd then use that to create the actual site.

Another option is to use SquareSpace as the Web site host/CMS system. From the iPad you should be able to login and build the entire site right there. Once you're back at your Mac, you could then tweak the CSS to make it exactly right.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.