Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tpavur

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 8, 2010
Im looking to get a very versatle camera that can take great shots in most conditions, limit is 500$ and it must be bought at best buy because this is where i have store credit at. Im looking at possibly the canon power shot G12 or the S95, if you have any recommendations please let me know.

Chimera-se

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2010
S95 for sure. I have an S90 and it's outstanding. You don't get much more with the G12 and the S95 has a faster lens. 'Nuff said.:)

h1r0ll3r

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2009
Maryland
Another vote for the S95. Once my other P&S dies, the S95 (or whatever its successor is) will be the one I get next.

El Cabong

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2008
If you're fine with the extra bulk relative to the S95, I'd suggest the Olympus XZ-1. More versatile lens, similar control scheme to the S95, and hotshoe for a flash or electronic viewfinder (Olympus', though bulky, is superior to Panasonic's and to the optical one found in the Canon G series).

davidinva

macrumors 6502a
I purchased a Panasonic ZS6 for that purpose. I am a Canon user normally, and tried a couple but like the Pany better. It was also cheaper as it was being replaced by a newer model. It is a bit larger than the S95, but has a 12x zoom and takes very nice photos and HD video. Cost me $169 and so far I am happy and carry it with me everywhere.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.