PDA

View Full Version : Ableton Live issues, do i need an A.I. or a faster HD?

helloitsmeagain
Jun 16, 2011, 10:38 PM
Hi, ableton's been crashing on me like crazy recently. Anytime i try add more than few instances of a VST, it's down for the count. It basically starts clicking and hissing, CPU usage gets to around 64% and while i can still save, audio dies. Now I'm running it on a brand new MacBook Pro with the Intel Core i7, 5400 rpm hd, so that makes me sad...

One thing i did notice is that if i jump from my crashed Live to lets say a video player, the audio in the video player is also dead. Is it my soundcard that's the problem? sounds like it. Can anyone else hazard a guess?

So based on my assumption I thought I might get a audio interface. The Tascam US122 MKII seems ok.

Some contacts suggested a faster HD might solve the problem. i think i might just lash out and buy an SSD. remove the useless dvd drive and pop it in there... Having done a bit of pocking around the interweb, it seems the 7200rpm doesn't get that much faster, and in some cases, performs slower!

Any thoughts?

Thanks

HoldernessMedia
Jun 20, 2011, 02:55 AM
Hi, ableton's been crashing on me like crazy recently. Anytime i try add more than few instances of a VST, it's down for the count. It basically starts clicking and hissing, CPU usage gets to around 64% and while i can still save, audio dies. Now I'm running it on a brand new MacBook Pro with the Intel Core i7, 5400 rpm hd, so that makes me sad...

One thing i did notice is that if i jump from my crashed Live to lets say a video player, the audio in the video player is also dead. Is it my soundcard that's the problem? sounds like it. Can anyone else hazard a guess?

So based on my assumption I thought I might get a audio interface. The Tascam US122 MKII seems ok.

Some contacts suggested a faster HD might solve the problem. i think i might just lash out and buy an SSD. remove the useless dvd drive and pop it in there... Having done a bit of pocking around the interweb, it seems the 7200rpm doesn't get that much faster, and in some cases, performs slower!

Any thoughts?

Thanks

This is definitely not normal with that powerful of a machine, unless you're running huge sets or lots of CPU hog VST's.
So with that in mind, a little more detailed information about your setup is needed.

I gather from your post you're using the MBP built in souncard?

It may be as simple as a permissions problem, have you tried repairing permissions yet?
If not, try repairing permissions in Disk Utility, reboot and see if the problems persist.

Also, a few more crucial details:

- What version of Ableton are you using?
- What version of OS X are you using?
- When you say "more than a few VST's, how many are you actually talking about, and what VST's in particular?