PDA

View Full Version : Facebook to Launch iPad App, Preparing Web-Based Mobile Platform

MacRumors
Jun 17, 2011, 09:00 AM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/17/facebook-to-launch-ipad-app-preparing-web-based-mobile-platform/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/06/facebook_logo-150x56.jpg

The New York Times reports (http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/06/16/facebook-readies-an-ipad-app-finally/) that Facebook is finally set to release a free iPad app "in coming weeks", remedying a curious omission for the social networking service that touts over 600 million users worldwide.People briefed on Facebook's plans say that in coming weeks the company plans to introduce a free iPad application that has been carefully designed and optimized for the tablet.

The app has been in production at Facebook for almost a year, going through several design iterations, and is now in the final stages of testing, according to these people, who declined to be named because they were discussing confidential product plans.Facebook founder and CEO Mark Zuckerberg, who along with other company executives noted (http://www.macrumors.com/2010/11/03/facebook-rolls-out-mobile-initiative-updates-iphone-app-with-groups-and-places-says-ipad-isnt-mobile/) last November that the company was still been trying to decide how best to handle the iPad, is said to have been "heavily involved" in the app's development.People who have seen the application said it has a slick design that has been tailored for the iPad and its touchscreen interface. Facebook developers and designers have also overhauled the Facebook Chat and Facebook Groups features for the application. And the app will go beyond the features available on the Facebook Web site by allowing users to shoot and upload photos and videos directly from the iPad’s built-in cameras.Facebook's iPad app comes just as TechCrunch reports (http://techcrunch.com/2011/06/15/facebook-project-spartan/) that the company is preparing to launch a new HTML5-based mobile platform codenamed "Project Spartan" that would take on iOS on its home turf by running within the mobile Safari browser.As of right now, there are believed to be 80 or so outside developers working with Facebook on Project Spartan. These teams are working on apps for the platform that range from games to news-reading apps. Some of the names should be familiar: Zynga and Huffington Post (owned by our parent AOL), for example. The goal is to have these apps ready to roll in the next few weeks for a formal unveiling shortly thereafter.Facebook's vision for Project Spartan reportedly includes integration of its Facebook Credits (https://www.facebook.com/credits/) payment system that would allow developers to offer paid apps and in app purchases directly through the web-based platform.

Article Link: Facebook to Launch iPad App, Preparing Web-Based Mobile Platform (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/17/facebook-to-launch-ipad-app-preparing-web-based-mobile-platform/)

TimUSCA
Jun 17, 2011, 09:01 AM
Two words: About time.

gibbz
Jun 17, 2011, 09:05 AM
This is welcome news.

JS82712
Jun 17, 2011, 09:05 AM
perhaps they should fix their crappy iPhone app first? :rolleyes:

LegendKillerUK
Jun 17, 2011, 09:06 AM
perhaps they should fix their crappy iPhone app first? :rolleyes:

Man alive has that thing gone to **** in the last few months.

The Phazer
Jun 17, 2011, 09:06 AM
It's good that you'll be able to upload photos.

The most fundamental issue, of course, is that Mobile Safari doesn't support file uploads of your own photographs in the first place, which would render this app mostly redundant.

Hopefully this app will allow you to copy the text inside it, unlike Facebook's crummy iPhone app.

Phazer

d2LiL
Jun 17, 2011, 09:07 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/534.32 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

It's about freakin' time.

*LTD*
Jun 17, 2011, 09:08 AM
We already have MyPad And MyPad+, Friendly, etc. And these work very well.

What will change now? I suppose we'll finally get an "official" app . . .

IgnatiusTheKing
Jun 17, 2011, 09:09 AM
Two words: too late.

apple1865
Jun 17, 2011, 09:10 AM
I'm very curious, but I love MyPad.

chaosconan
Jun 17, 2011, 09:11 AM
"slick design"

Is that all you can say about the new facebook app for iPad?
All they're going to do is take the existing facebook website and port it to iPad like for like.

dagamer34
Jun 17, 2011, 09:12 AM
iPad may not be mobile, but your website is crap for navigating with a touch screen.

Skika
Two words: too late.

Better late than never.

d4rkc4sm
This is welcome news.

why? another means to track and gather data on its users. the sheeple will no doubt download this app in droves.

*LTD*
"slick design"

Is that all you can say about the new facebook app for iPad?
All they're going to do is take the existing facebook website and port it to iPad like for like.

We already have Friends With Benefits for that (yes, it's an app.)

why? another means to track and gather data on its users. the sheeple will no doubt download this app in droves.

ZZzzzz . . . we'll be fine. Most of us aren't secret agents.

nwcs
Jun 17, 2011, 09:16 AM

Doesn't matter how you access the site. They can easily do it just by you accessing the site.

BLACKFRIDAY
Jun 17, 2011, 09:17 AM
Looks like the new Facebook app will be an HTML5 app for all mobile platforms.
This would highlight the new Web-based Mobile Platform to be launched by Facebook in the coming months.

Maybe that's why it's taken so long?

mattg3
Jun 17, 2011, 09:17 AM
So how about the ipod touch facebook app.

adwebinc
Jun 17, 2011, 09:20 AM
Great on the iPad app.

But... really??? another fragmented mobile platform w/o the security and support like Apple provides. No thanks. :confused:

iScott428
Jun 17, 2011, 09:21 AM
Wow this should be amazing if it has taken a damn year!!! I have always used safari on my ipad for facebook as it works just fine on there. I dont need to be playing ***** farmville in safari...Upgraded chat and photos will be nice in the app though. I have to admit I use the facebook app on my iphone, but only due to the small screen and the fact I am on a 3Gs obviously with no retina display. It will be nice see this app when it comes.

Kind of surprised that the worlds youngest public company took so long to roll out an app for the ipad...I have been waiting since last may (2010)...

darbus69
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Zuckerberg is a thief and you won't catch me using anything he and his team ever produces. FB is also the most annoying and personally invasive app ever written and I would encourage 599 million people world wide to quit using-that Z guy deserves to lose it all.

jimi78
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I second this. How is the app so buggy? Do they not have engineers that work on this on a daily basis or they just forget about it after the development stage? The popularity of this site would make you think their app would be scrutinized ho hum

WiiDSmoker
Jun 17, 2011, 09:24 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Zuckerberg is a thief and you won't catch me using anything he and his team ever produces. FB is also the most annoying and personally invasive app ever written and I would encourage 599 million people world wide to quit using-that Z guy deserves to lose it all.

Sort of like how Steve Jobs copied Xerox?

Journojulz
Jun 17, 2011, 09:26 AM

iPhone app does indeed suck.

If I want to upload a pic I have had to email to the mobile address.

Mind you, the whole Fb server is flakey as heck. Zuckerberg needs to spend some of his billions upgrading his servers.

cmaier
Jun 17, 2011, 09:28 AM

By getting permission any paying them?

Razeus
Jun 17, 2011, 09:31 AM
I swear, Macrumors is consistently the last person to report these "rumors".

Mr Skills
Jun 17, 2011, 09:31 AM
Why is everyone assuming that the iPad app and "Project Spartan" have to be separate? iPad apps are allowed to execute HTML and JavaScript code, so Project Spartan could just be a way of getting around app store rules and making it possible to run FaceBook Apps inside the iPad App.

ibis99
Jun 17, 2011, 09:34 AM
Marc Zuckerberg says "the ipad is not mobile"

Now there's an App for that. Idiot.

rmhop81
Jun 17, 2011, 09:37 AM

lol as if apple doesn't track and gather data of their iOS users!

ATMB
Jun 17, 2011, 09:38 AM
Couldn't they first fix the iPhone app which causes vomit?

cmaier
Jun 17, 2011, 09:40 AM
lol as if apple doesn't track and gather data of their iOS users!

Sticking "as if" in front of a false statement doesn't make it true. Apple doesn't track iOS users.

bdkennedy1
Jun 17, 2011, 09:40 AM
Sort of like how Microsoft copied Apple?

rmhop81
Jun 17, 2011, 09:41 AM
Sticking "as if" in front of a false statement doesn't make it true. Apple doesn't track iOS users.

haha are you serious?

cmaier
Jun 17, 2011, 09:42 AM
haha are you serious?

Completely. They don't. What evidence do you have to the contrary?

DeaconGraves
Jun 17, 2011, 09:43 AM
Oh there is probably much gnashing of teeth in the Friendly developers' offices today...

rmhop81
Jun 17, 2011, 09:45 AM

remember it was just a random "bug" that 4.3.3 fixed. it was just a bug it wasn't done on purpose ok!

rmhop81
Jun 17, 2011, 09:46 AM

what evidence do you have that they don't? bc they said so? haha

BLACKFRIDAY
Jun 17, 2011, 09:47 AM
By getting permission any paying them?

Sad thing 1: He is not going to be reply.
Sad thing 2: He is going to post the same thing in some other thread.

You know what I'm going to say about this. But let's just leave it.

room237
Jun 17, 2011, 09:47 AM
Oh there is probably much gnashing of teeth in the Friendly developers' offices today...

You mean some mom's basement?

cmaier
Jun 17, 2011, 09:48 AM
remember it was just a random "bug" that 4.3.3 fixed. it was just a bug it wasn't done on purpose ok!

You are aware that the "bug" only resulted in your own computer (that you sync to) seeing the location data, right? No personally-identifiable information has ever gone to Apple. The issue was that someone with access to your backups or your phone could track you, not that Apple could track you.

Again, Apple tracks nothing.

tigress666
Jun 17, 2011, 09:49 AM
Bah, they f*cked up their iphone app so now I have to use the web to read them anyways. I'm sure the ipad app won't be different (They don't let you read your custom friend groups on the facebook app, you are only given what they think you want to read).

rmhop81
Jun 17, 2011, 09:50 AM
You are aware that the "bug" only resulted in your own computer (that you sync to) seeing the location data, right? No personally-identifiable information has ever gone to Apple. The issue was that someone with access to your backups or your phone could track you, not that Apple could track you.

Again, Apple tracks nothing.
lol

"personally identifiable"

doesn't have to be personally identifiable to track and gather information

Kid A
Jun 17, 2011, 09:50 AM
We already have MyPad And MyPad+, Friendly, etc. And these work very well.

Umm, no. They don't. Are you serious??

Friendly, especially... quit working completely, then was a great app for a month, quit working for a week, and now has been crap for the past month or two, with less than 1/2 the functionality it once had (no more full screen photo browsing/swiping). And it currently has features that disappear and reappear randomly (like setting "favorite" friends).

Try writing a private message to someone with either of these apps. Tiny little box. Fail.

MyPad+ (which I purchased) is slick in theory, but why is the newsfeed locked into 1/3 the width of my iPad when it's in landscape mode? It's just window dressing on m.facebook.com. I'm using a very powerful tablet, not a smartphone. I expect better.

The most useful feature of both MyPad and Friendly is the ability to switch to a Safari desktop view of fb.

Fb has been one of the biggest disappointments since I got an iPad (2).

Here's hoping the official app is better than the iPhone (cr)app. Maybe then I can stop wasting money and time on half-baked iPad apps. I have an entire folder dedicated to Facebook apps, and am constantly jockeying between them as none are satisfactory (and that includes using Safari).

</rant>

cmaier
Jun 17, 2011, 09:51 AM
lol

"personally identifiable"

doesn't have to be personally identifiable to track and gather information

You're obviously just trolling now. Goodbye.

Kid A
Jun 17, 2011, 09:52 AM

I refuse to believe Friendly is being developed or has developers.

rmhop81
Jun 17, 2011, 09:52 AM
You're obviously just trolling now. Goodbye.

yeah i've been a trolling member for 6 long years. how ridiculous.

your only defense is that it's not "personally identifiable" information. tons of information can be gathered from an iphone that doesn't have a name attached.

but hey only troll's believe that right?

Tiger8
Jun 17, 2011, 09:53 AM
>> in app purchases directly through the web-based platform

Lodsys will be all over that!!!!

cmaier
Jun 17, 2011, 09:59 AM
yeah i've been a trolling member for 6 long years. how ridiculous.

your only defense is that it's not "personally identifiable" information. tons of information can be gathered from an iphone that doesn't have a name attached.

but hey only troll's believe that right?

It doesn't even identify what phone it comes from. It just says "someone with an iphone is near this cell site." that's the only information sent to apple. It doesn't track "you" and it doesn't track "your information.". It's no different than the information the cell carrier has about where your phone is, except the cell carrier knows more - it knows whose phone it is.

You'll lower the bar again ("any data is tracking") but you're just wrong and arguing for the sake of arguing.

zim
Jun 17, 2011, 10:02 AM
Wait.. what?

So did Zuckerberg have a change of thought?

"...an attendee asked Zuckerberg when the iPad would get a native Facebook app.

The answer? Never. Facebook expects you to use the Facebook website on the iPad. And why? Because Facebook only makes app for mobile devices, and “the iPad’s not mobile… it’s a computer.”"

Source: http://www.cultofmac.com/facebook-ceo-mark-zuckerberg-the-ipads-not-mobile/67706

How about fixing the current facebook app before making a new app!!!!!! Can't like stuff, can't do anything only browse.

My rant... also make this new thing universal... getting sick of multiple apps... HD this and HD that.. make it universal!

rmhop81
Jun 17, 2011, 10:06 AM
It doesn't even identify what phone it comes from. It just says "someone with an iphone is near this cell site." that's the only information sent to apple. It doesn't track "you" and it doesn't track "your information.". It's no different than the information the cell carrier has about where your phone is, except the cell carrier knows more - it knows whose phone it is.

You'll lower the bar again ("any data is tracking") but you're just wrong and arguing for the sake of arguing.

haha YOU are the one that started the argument. but then again, you get paid to argue for a living right?

skellener
Jun 17, 2011, 10:06 AM
perhaps they should fix their crappy iPhone app first? :rolleyes:Amen man! One of the worst apps on the iPhone. The website seems to work fine in Safari on the iPad.

ericinboston
Jun 17, 2011, 10:07 AM
FB is losing steam pretty quickly...gonna be another MySpace by 2013 if you ask me. Out of the 600 million users, how many of them actually participate daily/hourly since it's such a "social" thing. I get it that the under 25 year olds (those who do not have a job/career/real responsibilities) use it every few hours of their lives.

Something better is coming...and as a few stated here (and I've noticed for a very long time)...the FB servers stink...FB is so flaky regardless which browser you use or your internet pipe.

funnyent
Jun 17, 2011, 10:08 AM
I just use the Safari version on the iPad right now, but the iPhone version should be completely thrown out and redone. It just sucks and always crashes, almost every update it gets worse.

funnyent
Jun 17, 2011, 10:10 AM

If their iPad app is anything like their iPhone app, Friendly should have nothing to worry about :)

spooky2k
Jun 17, 2011, 10:12 AM

Hate to be Mr. Obvious here, but Facebook has access to our information/data because we started a Facebook account and gave them our information and data. Don't like it? Don't use it. Simples.

skellener
Jun 17, 2011, 10:12 AM
(They don't let you read your custom friend groups on the facebook app, you are only given what they think you want to read). They did through Facebook 3330.ipa - that's why you have to be careful about upgrading on iOS. Once you upgrade, Apple doesn't let you go back. You have to use Time Machine to get your old version of an iOS app back. It's still a crappy app anyway. But it did have custom list feeds. Just not anymore.

Kieranic
Jun 17, 2011, 10:13 AM
They need to fix the huge amount of chat bugs on the iPhone app (AND add chat notifications) first to be honest. The fact I need to use a third party app to talk with friends on the go is pathetic (especially considering that most FBChat apps crash easily)

rmhop81
Jun 17, 2011, 10:15 AM
FB is losing steam pretty quickly...gonna be another MySpace by 2013 if you ask me. Out of the 600 million users, how many of them actually participate daily/hourly since it's such a "social" thing. I get it that the under 25 year olds (those who do not have a job/career/real responsibilities) use it every few hours of their lives.

Something better is coming...and as a few stated here (and I've noticed for a very long time)...the FB servers stink...FB is so flaky regardless which browser you use or your internet pipe.

there are plenty of older people that use it just like people under 25. They are going to kill facebook with all the stupid features like check in etc. my wifes grandpa uses it on a daily basis. it's hilarious

Tootles
Jun 17, 2011, 10:17 AM
Why would anyone be interested in a specific app for Facebook, when Facebook is primarily a website? Do devices such as the iPad have trouble offering Facebook via web browsers?

Aelton
Jun 17, 2011, 10:21 AM

Winklevoss?

Kieranic
Jun 17, 2011, 10:21 AM
Why would anyone be interested in a specific app for Facebook, when Facebook is primarily a website? Do devices such as the iPad have trouble offering Facebook via web browsers?

Uploading photos (taken via iPad which is pretty good for Facebook), uploading video and chatting with friends from it.

Due to Safari's restrictions, you can't upload photos or videos using it and you can't chat in Safari either. Plus the app will look nicer most likely.

websmith
Jun 17, 2011, 10:28 AM

How do you know this? Because you watched a movie? The fact is, most industry is built upon stolen and copied ideas. Z has made his reparations. He paid them for taking the original idea and running with it in a way they most likely NEVER would have gone. Facebook could have been another MySpace, but it's not. It's not perfect, but it's very good, and it's very popular.

Xtremehkr
Jun 17, 2011, 10:29 AM

I wonder what Zuckerbergs beef with SJ is??

Seems stupid to pair with a listless behemoth like Microsoft, who are slowly but steadily falling further and further behind, but Facebook seems to think it has as much to offer people as Apple does.

For being an improved version of MySpace, Zuckerberg has an outsized belief in the importance and permanence of Facebook.

Facebook is just a website with games, and not even as good a website as it used to be.

websmith
Jun 17, 2011, 10:32 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I second this. How is the app so buggy? Do they not have engineers that work on this on a daily basis or they just forget about it after the development stage? The popularity of this site would make you think their app would be scrutinized ho hum

Have you ever developed an app, or a website? If so, you would know that the more complex a site or app is, the more buggy it can be. It is nearly impossible to develop a bug-free application. I am sure the developers are working non-stop, around the clock, to fix any and all bugs. Believe me, as a developer, I understand the hours and the pressure they are under.

Plus, it's free. The service, the apps, everything. Free. You don't have to like Zuckerburg, but give the developers a break.

orfeas0
Jun 17, 2011, 10:33 AM
why does everyone hate the facebook app for iphone? i'm not that much of a fan of facebook, i use it for free 3g messages , maybe a photo upload and or share something funny/interesting I see on the internet. And the iPhone app does just fine, I haven't had any problems with it... Maybe you're using it wrong (you're holding it wrong irony :P).

orfeas0
Jun 17, 2011, 10:37 AM

At first Zuckerberg said "ipad is not mobile. it's a computer". Then he and everyone else realized, no it's not! It can't run flash, it can't run facebook properly, it can't run the internet properly (neither is it bad, but it is NOT a computer). It IS a mobile device which needs an app for facebook since the site can't run on it well.

vartanarsen
Jun 17, 2011, 10:37 AM

NO!, Steve Jobs ASKED to come in and see "stuff", in exchange for some shares.....
Xerox knew what it was doing by inviting him in.

Tootles
Jun 17, 2011, 10:38 AM
Uploading photos (taken via iPad which is pretty good for Facebook), uploading video and chatting with friends from it.

Due to Safari's restrictions, you can't upload photos or videos using it and you can't chat in Safari either. Plus the app will look nicer most likely.

Is Safari the only web browser for iOS?

nemaslov
Jun 17, 2011, 10:46 AM
Now maybe Apple will introduce an Apple Store iPad APP. A much stranger omission!!!

ericinboston
Jun 17, 2011, 10:46 AM
there are plenty of older people that use it just like people under 25.

Yes...there are...but that's not what I am saying.

I am saying that a very very high majority (75%?) of the FB people THAT REGULARLY USE the site are under 25. The rest are older and check in less frequently than their <25 year old counterparts. Both of these figures, IMO, are the people who USE FB....not just create an account and log in 6 times a year...or log in (like me) every few weeks because I got an email alert stating someone posted on my Wall.

There are users and there are active users. Big difference.

tigress666
Jun 17, 2011, 10:52 AM
They did through Facebook 3330.ipa - that's why you have to be careful about upgrading on iOS. Once you upgrade, Apple doesn't let you go back. You have to use Time Machine to get your old version of an iOS app back. It's still a crappy app anyway. But it did have custom list feeds. Just not anymore.

Yeah, I know, I remember when they changed it... I was hoping it was a bug... but it wasn't fixed in the next iteration.

Thing is, when I updated the app, it wasn't letting me import my photos on facebook (like it had the option but it just wouldn't do anything when I told it to pick a picture) from my camera so I had incentive to update the app (which did fix that problem. And it was not a problem introduced in a new version as it all the sudden stopped doing it properly in that version).

thelonelylimo
Jun 17, 2011, 10:54 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8J2)

Finally.

tigress666
Jun 17, 2011, 10:57 AM
why does everyone hate the facebook app for iphone? i'm not that much of a fan of facebook, i use it for free 3g messages , maybe a photo upload and or share something funny/interesting I see on the internet. And the iPhone app does just fine, I haven't had any problems with it... Maybe you're using it wrong (you're holding it wrong irony :P).

I used to not mind it until they took a very essential feature out of it. I read facebook my grouping my friends into a list of the ones I want to read (I don't want to unfriend people just cause I don't want to read their updates. I keep my FB friends only so I don't mind allowing them access if they want to read my stuff). Facebook used to let you pick your custom friends groups in the app to read from.

Now you have to read their newsfeed (which is stupid and is a great way to lose track of those you want to read cause if you don't respond to them it stops listing their updates and of course if you don't see their updates, you won't respond to them!) or just everybody on your friends list period (hell no, I have a lot of people who I have on for game reasons and random companies and I don't want to read all their status updates). Basically they want to control who you are reading (or at least the algorithm that decides who you should read). I want to control who I want to read.

So, they made the app pretty damned useless for me except for uploading photos.

palmharbor
Jun 17, 2011, 11:00 AM
That kills the upgrade for me. I would lose the ability to use all kinds of software I paid for and need.
Glad I found out upfront.
"It would take too much work"....really! Too bad, you lost my upgrade sale pal.

ratzzo
Jun 17, 2011, 11:12 AM
Good news. I was wondering why they didn't treat the iPad as a mobile device :confused:

iCrizzo
Jun 17, 2011, 11:19 AM
They should of released this a year ago before I deleted my Facebook and moved to Tumblr.

jonnysods
Jun 17, 2011, 11:24 AM
Finally!

qtx43
Jun 17, 2011, 11:24 AM
Hate to be Mr. Obvious here, but Facebook has access to our information/data because we started a Facebook account and gave them our information and data. Don't like it? Don't use it. Simples.Not entirely true. With their network of "Like" buttons, Facebook is trying to track everybody. You don't need to press any buttons yourself; You need to be proactive to keep Facebook off of your computer and most don't bother with that. Apple does make mistakes, and I don't like some aspects of the closed down ecosystem, but they are much more honest than Facebook (or Google for that matter). The latter live off of your invaded privacy.

Will do good
Jun 17, 2011, 11:26 AM
Why use Facebook?

Optheduim
Jun 17, 2011, 11:26 AM
Great Ill never get off FB :eek:

MacGeek50
Jun 17, 2011, 11:27 AM
Maybe they should fix their crappy and very buggy iPhone version first before giving the world another buggy app? Just sayin' :D

c14nhl
Jun 17, 2011, 11:29 AM
I just want them to nail the chat feature, then I'll be delighted. Nothing I've tried has been great to be honest.

darbus69
Jun 17, 2011, 11:31 AM

the two stories have little parallel. Z blatantly stole IP and developed FB while misleading the people he was supposed to be working for, we all know the story...There are few totally original ideas, every good seed of an idea is expanded and developed upon until it is worthy of being revolutionary. No, Jobs is not the only man responsible for the evolution of the PC, just someone dho was able to help make it revolutionary. Z did the the same, but along with way he was, IMO, significantly less honest and morally sound in his methods.

tigress666
Jun 17, 2011, 11:35 AM
That kills the upgrade for me. I would lose the ability to use all kinds of software I paid for and need.
Glad I found out upfront.
"It would take too much work"....really! Too bad, you lost my upgrade sale pal.

Wrong thread and obnoxious font (I fixed it so it's not so obnoxious).

GQB
Jun 17, 2011, 11:37 AM
Maybe that's why it's taken so long?

Because Facebook's developers (starting historically with Z-man) apparently can't program their way out of a paper bag.
Face it... FaceBook is probably the most pathetic web design I've ever seen.
Can't modify posts without deleting and re-posting? Really?
Page re-draws happen when you've been reading half-way down the page for over a minute, scrolling your current position to god knows where?
And don't even start about the intentional maze that is their security settings.

That said, what's the big fear that's supposed to have Apple quivering in their boots about the 'app store'. A place to download web-apps? Big deal. Maybe the fact that they'll somehow allow web-app scripters to commoditize their widgets? Hardly competition for polished apps on THE App Store.

I'll get the iPad app, but only to see if they figure out how do do such a simple thing right for a change.

The word is 'licensed'. Look it up sometime before spewing.
And before Jobs licensed it, it was sitting on a shelf in PARC gathering dust.
Innovation means actually producing things. Otherwise I assume you're on the side of the patent trolls?

ericinboston
Jun 17, 2011, 11:58 AM
Because Facebook's developers (starting historically with Z-man) apparently can't program their way out of a paper bag.

Very true. I saw FB back in 2005 and thought it was pathetic for web technology, not to mention the performance and hiccups. Flash forward to 2011 and IT'S STILL JUNK CODE!

Thankfully I only login about once a week for a 3 minute visit...and that's ONLY if I get some kind of email alert regarding one of my "friends".

FB doesn't have to be cutting edge but anyone who's familiar with web technology will agree it's poorly managed...and I can't agree with you more about their Security settings and ease of use with Security...the worst I think I've ever seen/used for a web or think client application. Seriously.

OrangeSVTguy
Jun 17, 2011, 12:05 PM
Wish they'd fix the iPhone app too. Been crashing quite a bit lately it seams...?

GQB
Jun 17, 2011, 12:08 PM
Very true. I saw FB back in 2005 and thought it was pathetic for web technology, not to mention the performance and hiccups. Flash forward to 2011 and IT'S STILL JUNK CODE!

Thankfully I only login about once a week for a 3 minute visit...and that's ONLY if I get some kind of email alert regarding one of my "friends".

FB doesn't have to be cutting edge but anyone who's familiar with web technology will agree it's poorly managed...and I can't agree with you more about their Security settings and ease of use with Security...the worst I think I've ever seen/used for a web or think client application. Seriously.

What's sad is that I've come to like the product despite the sophomoric interface. Speaks well of the concept.
I've reconnected some incredible friendships through FB and enjoy my threads. But I keep them as limited as I can in scope. It bothers me that FB tries its best to keep tearing down my limits by changing the rules on the fly.

Xavier
Jun 17, 2011, 12:10 PM
But wait, Zuckerberg, I thought iPad wasn't a mobile platform :rolleyes:

ranReloaded
Jun 17, 2011, 12:18 PM
http://i53.tinypic.com/2wog5eo.jpg

notabadname
Jun 17, 2011, 12:23 PM
Not sure I would prefer the App over being able to use the regular web page, despite photo upload limits. As others have said, improve the often frustrating phone App, on which the full web-site is useless.

ranReloaded
Jun 17, 2011, 12:31 PM
Wish they'd fix the iPhone app too. Been crashing quite a bit lately it seams...?

Don't get me started... Some features are a joke:
Like when you tap a notification that leads to the wrong album/picture.
Like when you tap a notification about a comment on a picture and the picture shows no comments/likes whatsoever, or they are way outdated. (Swiping back and forth to another pic fixes it sometimes)
Like when you tap a notification and it leads you nowhere.
Like when "ghost" notification badges appear and disappear, that have no counterpart whatsoever in the notifications list.

I would sound like an whiney entitlement b**ch if this thing were actually free.

</rant>

But the truth is, I need to find something better to do in my 5-minute segments of spare time... Like yelling at the 9to5Mac website that doesn't let you scroll at all until all the comments load (i.e., 5 seconds short of forever), forcing you back to the same scroll position on every little increase of the address/progress bar... Or the Apple Insider "Reply" button that doesn't let you reply, but instead scolds you towards the 'Quick Reply' button or something...

</rant><!-- (They were nested) -->

I haven't seen the actual code/bloat, but the website interface is quite responsive and from the outside it looks pretty much state-of-the-art 'ajax' stuff if you ask me.

...But I agree the privacy settings thing is a scam. And they change it like every two weeks and silently default you into "Share my everything with FB's partners" (OK, I'm exaggerating a bit)

Face it... FaceBook is probably the most pathetic web design I've ever seen.
Can't modify posts without deleting and re-posting? Really?
Page re-draws happen when you've been reading half-way down the page for over a minute, scrolling your current position to god knows where?
And don't even start about the intentional maze that is their security settings.

That said, what's the big fear that's supposed to have Apple quivering in their boots about the 'app store'. A place to download web-apps? Big deal. Maybe the fact that they'll somehow allow web-app scripters to commoditize their widgets? Hardly competition for polished apps on THE App Store.

I'll get the iPad app, but only to see if they figure out how do do such a simple thing right for a change.

I see what you did :)

flottenheimer
Jun 17, 2011, 12:40 PM
Nice. This is certain to become the most downloaded app for months to come.
Perhaps even forever.

Maybe I'll actually start using facebook a bit more than once or twice every month again.
The Social Network has really become quite uninteresting imho. A smooth and gorgeous touch interface/experience could work wonders.

andi242
Jun 17, 2011, 12:49 PM
http://www.cultofmac.com/facebook-ceo-mark-zuckerberg-the-ipads-not-mobile/67706

MoreAwesomeDanU
Jun 17, 2011, 01:03 PM
Two words: About time.

so true.

BJB Productions
Jun 17, 2011, 01:03 PM
Nice. This is certain to become the most downloaded app for months to come.
Perhaps even forever.

Facebook has nothing on Angry Birds, yo :p

Popeye206
Jun 17, 2011, 01:06 PM

So you don't own any smart phones or cell phone for that matter? You know, your internet useage is being tracked right now! :rolleyes:

tigress666
Jun 17, 2011, 01:08 PM
Yes, I realize when you introduce complexity you introduce more chances for bugs to happen. But you know, I use all sorts of software that I'm sure is just as complex if not more than Facebook and it manages to work without quirks or with so few I haven't found them. So it's not like they are trying to do the impossible.

But here is the thing... Facebook doesn't just introduce complexity, they don't bother to fix their old bugs. NOt only that, FB is really bad about taking functions you liked and purposely removing them!! For stuff that is worse! So not only do they not improve how their code works, they make how their website works worse.

Shoot, I downloaded a plugin, better facebook, that solves some of their problems for them. So obviously it's not like they are bugs that are impossible to find/fix. Facebook just doesn't care.

They know they have the audience now and the audience will use them regardless of if they work well or not. They aren't focused on fixing the bugs because they don't have people threatening to leave over them (they don't care if you complain long as you stay and give them data they can sell to marketers). They are only focused on how to convince/trick you into giving up more info they can sell.

*LTD*
Jun 17, 2011, 01:12 PM
Image (http://i53.tinypic.com/2wog5eo.jpg)

http://img705.imageshack.us/img705/6372/fb1u.png

chaosconan
Jun 17, 2011, 01:16 PM
I swear, Macrumors is consistently the last person to report these "rumors".

I think they're busy updating the website instead of reporting the rumors ;)

GQB
Jun 17, 2011, 01:46 PM
I see what you did :)

Nah... I love scripters. :) I'm one myself.
But its like saying Flash authors are programmers.

littledude8209
Jun 17, 2011, 02:02 PM
They did through Facebook 3330.ipa - that's why you have to be careful about upgrading on iOS. Once you upgrade, Apple doesn't let you go back. You have to use Time Machine to get your old version of an iOS app back. It's still a crappy app anyway. But it did have custom list feeds. Just not anymore.

so, not sure what you guys are talking about at this point, or maybe i am just not understanding the question/issue...

go to the News Feed, and in the top right it should say top news. tap on that, and scroll to the bottom. for me, it is showing my custom friend groups i made...

Dr Kevorkian94
Jun 17, 2011, 06:21 PM
It would be welcomed, the Facebook app and the website don't work well with iOS 5.

tigress666
Jun 17, 2011, 06:51 PM
so, not sure what you guys are talking about at this point, or maybe i am just not understanding the question/issue...

go to the News Feed, and in the top right it should say top news. tap on that, and scroll to the bottom. for me, it is showing my custom friend groups i made...

That's the webpage... I have now bookmarked to my custom friends list on Perfect Browser so I read FB that way (which is more annoying than using the FB app in ways but at least for now they still support me reading my custom friends list. Though I kinda wonder if FB will eventually get rid of that, I do notice they really don't like me choosing who I read as they keep making that option more confusing to find each update).

Either that or you haven't updated the app in a while.

Oh, wait, look at that, they fixed it (seriously, the option had been gone for weeks. It suddenly is back again. I know I'm not imagining things cause as you can tell, I wasn't the only one complaining. And I've checked every time they put an update to see if they fixed it so I guess it wasn't an app thing but whatever the app connected to that caused it - kinda like how apple now lets you see purchased itunes without updating itunes).

Of course, I bet it does the annoying thing of always assuming I want to read top news and I have to keep telling it to go to my want to read list (a long long time ago it would actually stay on the list you last chose but last I checked when I still used the app it auto defaults to top news).

(Thank you for encouraging me to go back and look, I was going to give you the list of options it gave me and noticed that option was back).

Primejimbo
Jun 17, 2011, 07:33 PM
They should of released this a year ago before I deleted my Facebook and moved to Tumblr.

Yea because the Facebook app would have made a difference. :rolleyes:

Why use Facebook?

Why not? I love people who think they are "too cool" to use Facebook. :rolleyes:

aughsum
Jun 17, 2011, 08:05 PM
Marc Zuckerberg says "the ipad is not mobile"

Now there's an App for that. Idiot.

Idiot billionaire.

aughsum
Jun 17, 2011, 08:08 PM
Yea because the Facebook app would have made a difference. :rolleyes:

Why not? I love people who think they are "too cool" to use Facebook. :rolleyes:

I thought I was too cool for Facebook.. After about four months away, I realized no one else was and I was basically isolating myself from everyone I knew - promptly reactivated it.

funny thing, when you delete your fb page they just suspend it - fb knows youll be back.

caspersoong
Jun 17, 2011, 08:34 PM
I usually use the full version on safari because the iPhone Facebook app is too devoid of features. But it goes crazy whenever I do that. This is really welcome news.

ianogden
Jun 17, 2011, 08:44 PM
The iPhone app is absolutely *********g s***e. They need to concentrate on whole suite of Apps. I have resorted to using the mobile version saved on my homescreen. It's better because a) there are no notifications, so I when someone emails i dont get a loud horrid noise, and an email and there is no notification thing there for weeks because I couldn't open the app and b) its just works so much better and will open up properley.

Lunarstone
Jun 17, 2011, 09:31 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I knew they would create a universal app soon!

Dustman
Jun 17, 2011, 10:33 PM
Is Safari the only web browser for iOS?

There's Opera and Skyfire, but they don't allow for uploads/downloads either. Its not a safari thing, its a iOS SDK issue, as well as a lack of a file system. To allow uploading, you'd have to break the rules of the SDK agreement by using unapproved APIs

NewtonsApple
Jun 18, 2011, 12:38 AM
I simply could not live w/o Facebook. I am so glad that an exception has been made since the ipad is not actually a mobile device. Mark Zukerburgh is a freakin jenuis! Anyone seen The Social Network? Friggin genuis! :D

Atamagaii
Jun 18, 2011, 03:13 AM
Plus, it's free. The service, the apps, everything. Free. You don't have to like Zuckerburg, but give the developers a break.

600 million users, all reeling in advertising bucks for Facebook, and that's your excuse for the shocking app?

mattburles
Jun 25, 2011, 09:59 PM
i wonder when we will see this show up on the app store?

solaris
Jun 27, 2011, 09:08 AM
About time!

That is pretty much all there is to say. :rolleyes:

kultschar
Jun 27, 2011, 11:32 AM
i wonder when we will see this show up on the app store?

Hopefully any day now along with native Skype!!

IeU
Jul 23, 2011, 11:41 AM
Hopefully any day now along with native Skype!!

you were wrong, sadly . . .

AbyssImpact
Jul 23, 2011, 12:00 PM
Fb works fine with mobile safari...

jhonackerman
Sep 1, 2011, 06:23 AM
This is the welcome news,thanks for this knowledgeable information.Facebook application development growing day by day according to users need,that's why
now a days facebook development companies are more active towards facebook application development.