Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sammyman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 21, 2005
I have a dell 9200, and was wondering if I could get a mac mini and plug into my laptop for a screen? possibly keyboard and mouse too? thanks. oh yeah... can I sync it to a pocket pc?

gallivant

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2004
The Missing Sync will, I believe, do basic contacts/calendar syncing to a Pocket PC, and while theoretically you can install any software that provides a CAB file, most Pocket PC programs come as a windows installer that adds the program to activesync, so it isn't a very good solution if you're a heavy Pocket PC user.

sammyman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 21, 2005
gallivant said:
The Missing Sync will, I believe, do basic contacts/calendar syncing to a Pocket PC, and while theoretically you can install any software that provides a CAB file, most Pocket PC programs come as a windows installer that adds the program to activesync, so it isn't a very good solution if you're a heavy Pocket PC user.

BASIC CALENDER AND CONTACTS WOULD BE FINE. I AM SUPRISED THAT THERE IS NO WAY TO USE A MONITOR FROM A LAPTOP WITH THE MAC MINI THOUGH. THANKS GUYS

Toreador93

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2003
This might work:

-Get a tv tuner, for your Dell.

-Get a VGA/DVI-to-RCA adapter

-Hook tv tuner to dell. Connect VGA/DVI to mini, and RCA into tv tuner.

That might give you a monitor, albeit a low-resolution one. Don't think you can do the keyboard, mouse though.
You'd probably be better off getting a cheap 15" LCD for a similar price.

Chrispy

macrumors 68020
Dec 27, 2004
Indiana
The only real way to make this work well would be to get an external monitor. You can find some great deals anymore and I am sure you could get the monitor, keyboard and mouse for less than $200 if you shop well. Once you get the mini, you will find yourself using your laptop much less ;)

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Chrispy said:
The only real way to make this work well would be to get an external monitor. You can find some great deals anymore and I am sure you could get the monitor, keyboard and mouse for less than $200 if you shop well. Once you get the mini, you will find yourself using your laptop much less ;)

Buy a monitor and a KVM, and you'll get a new toy for BOTH of your machines! (the Dell supports dual screens, I think, right?)

sammyman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 21, 2005
I would like to get a monitor, but after doing the math of a mac mini with wireless, and superdrive, it makes more sense to wait a few weeks for the revised imac. That is still little expensive for me, but I think I will got that route. I wanted to save money so I could get some programs, but I will just get the programs later. Thanks for all of the input.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
sammyman said:
I would like to get a monitor, but after doing the math of a mac mini with wireless, and superdrive, it makes more sense to wait a few weeks for the revised imac. That is still little expensive for me, but I think I will got that route. I wanted to save money so I could get some programs, but I will just get the programs later. Thanks for all of the input.

iMac G5s are also frequently available refurbished from the Apple site, if $$$ is a critical issue, too. I think a lot of people here have had good experiences with Apple store refurbs. I haven't gotten one, although I got an amazing deal on my Powershot S50 as an Apple store demo unit. :D

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
sammyman said:
BASIC CALENDER AND CONTACTS WOULD BE FINE. I AM SUPRISED THAT THERE IS NO WAY TO USE A MONITOR FROM A LAPTOP WITH THE MAC MINI THOUGH. THANKS GUYS

1. The Dell's monitor connects directly to the motherboard. It isn't a standard plug that can go into a computer. Why are you surprised by this? It is hardwired in, not standalone...

2. The Missing Sync will do everything you need. And maybe more. But it does work great. Linkety

redeye be

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
BXL
Toreador93 said:
This might work:

-Get a tv tuner, for your Dell.

-Get a VGA/DVI-to-RCA adapter

-Hook tv tuner to dell. Connect VGA/DVI to mini, and RCA into tv tuner.

That might give you a monitor, albeit a low-resolution one. Don't think you can do the keyboard, mouse though.
You'd probably be better off getting a cheap 15" LCD for a similar price.
lol, nice solution.
For the keyboard and mouse you could use synergy. If i where you, sammyman, i would just opt for buying a screen and keyboard/mouse as most people suggest.

sammyman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 21, 2005
It appears that the mac mini is not for me. That is ok though. The imac G5 is a sweet computer. Now I got to sell some stuff on ebay :)

AmnesiacOpera

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2004
sammyman said:
It appears that the mac mini is not for me. That is ok though. The imac G5 is a sweet computer. Now I got to sell some stuff on ebay :)

You could always get an eMac. Nearly the same specs as the mac mini but it includes the screen, keyboard, and mouse. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.