PDA

View Full Version : Dual Screen AirPlay Gaming Demo with Real Racing 2 HD

MacRumors
Jun 17, 2011, 01:55 PM
http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/17/dual-screen-airplay-gaming-demo-with-real-racing-2-hd/)

http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/06/2011-06-17-iosgaming-500x333.jpg

(http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/06/2011-06-17-iosgaming.jpg)
Engadget (http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/17/real-racing-2-hd-wireless-dual-screen-gaming-with-ios-5-on-ipad/) has a hands on with Firemint's Real Racing 2 HD (http://appshopper.com/games/real-racing-2-hd) with support for Apple's AirPlay mirroring feature coming in iOS 5. While you can mirror anything on the iPad's screen to your Apple TV, some game developers have been building in support to provide a different interface on the device itself vs. the screen. This is similar feature to what Nintendo's new Wii U (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4e3qaPg_keg) console offers. For this game (and we imagine many more to come), you use the iPad as the controller -- both while navigating through menus and in race mode -- while the game appears only on your TV (though the tablet does display some vitals, and a map of the track). There's noticeable lag between the iPad and Apple TV when using AirPlay, which may be an issue for games where timing is important, such as Rock Band, but didn't seem to set us back while playing Firemint's racing game. This ability to display different images on the device and the video out isn't actually new with iOS 5. Several iOS games such as Max Adventure (http://appshopper.com/games/max-adventure) and Chopper 2 (http://appshopper.com/games/chopper-2) offer a similar experience under iOS 4. But without AirPlay mirroring feature, users have needed a $29 VGA adapter to take advantage of this feature. In iOS 5, AirPlay mirror also offers this ability to those with Apple TVs.

http://www.viddler.com/explore/engadget/videos/2890/

iOS 5 is in developer beta at the moment, and will be released to the public this fall.

Article Link: Dual Screen AirPlay Gaming Demo with Real Racing 2 HD (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/17/dual-screen-airplay-gaming-demo-with-real-racing-2-hd/)

ChazUK
Jun 17, 2011, 01:59 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/534.32 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Very clever use of the whole platform.

die81
Jun 17, 2011, 02:01 PM
WHO need a WII U ?!?!?!?!!?

:D:D:D:D:D:D

:apple: rules

MacsRgr8
Jun 17, 2011, 02:01 PM
Wow...!

Real Racing HD 2 is THE leading game when it comes to use of the iPad 2's capabilities. :cool:

fabian9
Jun 17, 2011, 02:06 PM
wow, this is amazing!

Icaras
Jun 17, 2011, 02:07 PM

If I weren't such a big fan of Nintendo franchices, I would wholly support that comment :p

Consultant
Jun 17, 2011, 02:08 PM
I love playing racing games on iPad. Hopefullly it comes to other ones that are more fast paced.

Weiner's new slogan:

Weiner euuuuuuu

WiiDSmoker
Jun 17, 2011, 02:14 PM
Let me know how that works out for with ZERO tactile feedback. You cannot use an iPad or an Iphone as a controller without directly looking at it.*

Except where the iPad/iPhone is only used for accellerometer and gyroscopes.

Eduardo1971
Jun 17, 2011, 02:16 PM
That's an ugly room/set-up (although not as bad as the Princess Leia room that was featured here several days ago).
:o

Newfiebill
Jun 17, 2011, 02:18 PM
I think I just peed myself. Freaking AWSOME!
It might just be worth paying the $100.00 :apple: developer fee.:rolleyes:

IbisDoc
Jun 17, 2011, 02:19 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

I'm thinking a "noticeable lag between the iPad and Apple TV when using AirPlay" is exactly what I want in a high speed racing game as I'm approaching turn 4.

Digitalclips
Jun 17, 2011, 02:20 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

I'm thinking a "noticeable lag between the iPad and Apple TV when using AirPlay" is exactly what I want in a high speed racing game as I'm approaching turn 4.

Got to think that will be tightened up.

FriarNurgle
Jun 17, 2011, 02:21 PM
AWESOME!!!

Now make it work for all iOS devices and Macs.

nagromme
Jun 17, 2011, 02:22 PM
While this will never be the primary way to play games on an iPad, it is very cool!

Kind of like the AppleTV is a console... only with all the brains and storage being in the wireless controller. Neat!

I’d certainly be tempted to spend the extra $70 on an AppleTV instead of a video adapter, if/when I want that ability for my iPad.

schenz
Jun 17, 2011, 02:25 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; de-de) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

The Incident has two different images on the wirelessly controlling iPhone and on the controlled iPad, in perfect sync, although via Bluetooth. So only the AirPlay part is new, and neat at that.

ThisIsNotMe
Jun 17, 2011, 02:30 PM
Apple should create some background API for either an AdHoc network or bluetooth to reduce lag.

RawBert
Jun 17, 2011, 02:30 PM
Bad-ass! :cool:

shurcooL
Jun 17, 2011, 02:31 PM
You can also use HDMI adapter instead of VGA.

baryon
Jun 17, 2011, 02:33 PM
Why can't the iPad mirror to a Mac? Or even a PC? I mean, everyone has a computer. Almost no one has an Apple TV.

iJon
Jun 17, 2011, 02:38 PM
In case you guys are wondering these features are already built into Real Racing HD. We got iOS 5 installed on my friends iPad and AppleTV and fired up Real Racing and it worked perfectly.

Lag was minimal to non existent on a 802.11n network. Very impressed.

SynPiekarza
Jun 17, 2011, 02:40 PM
Why can't the iPad mirror to a Mac? Or even a PC? I mean, everyone has a computer. Almost no one has an Apple TV.

You pretty much answered your own question. They want you to buy Apple TV ;)

xwk88
Jun 17, 2011, 02:45 PM
maybe that's the reason why...... I'd buy an apple tv for that maybe not for the gaming..... but movies would rock as long as I could mirror not only my ipad but my iphone and my mac to the tv(use cables now) or the ps3 for movies with a half a** setup of a server that crashes more often the not...... so yea this would be cool.... y would I wanna display something from my ipad on my computer if the content(minus the games and apps) prob came from that pc in the first place ???

SteveLV702
how did get to use the full tv screen... I have iOS 5 on iPad 2 and AppleTV and when I mirror I get black bars along the side :'(

LethalWolfe

People who want better controls? People who want access to Nintendo's iconic first party games? People who want games that can't be played using the iPad's relatively limited control interface?

Lethal

haravikk
Jun 17, 2011, 02:47 PM
Hmm, with the Apple TV being ARM based I do wonder if they couldn't offer the ability to offload some or all of the rendering onto the Apple TV itself, depending on its capabilities of course, in order to reduce lag by only sending the data needed to perform an update. Or, at a pinch, provide your own partial rendering mechanism so you'd still be streaming the video but only updating the pieces you need to.

patrickdunn
Jun 17, 2011, 02:52 PM
how did get to use the full tv screen... I have iOS 5 on iPad 2 and AppleTV and when I mirror I get black bars along the side :'(

Angry Birds is Mirrored. It doesn't take up the entire TV even on the Engadget movie. Real Racing HD is made for the AppleTV to display in 16:9.

ten-oak-druid
Jun 17, 2011, 02:57 PM
I like it. I'm sure it will be good for more than just games too.

Maybe that company with the joysticks that stick to the ipad surface will come in handy?

Toast4life88
Jun 17, 2011, 03:04 PM
In the previous article everyone sides with Apple on the Samsung lawsuit. Everyone cried foul because Samsung seemed to copy Apple's design. Now, this news comes out of Apple essentially doing the SAME EXACT THING as Nintendo. Everyone cheers Apple. Make up your minds, is doing the same thing as another company good or bad? Or is it only good when it's your company doing the same thing. Either way, this won't beat out the Wii U as this has no legendary titles like Legend of Zelda, Super Mario, Star Fox, Metroid, Super Smash Bros, or Kirby. Not unless you consider Angry Birds legendary enough to compete with that.

dustinsc
Jun 17, 2011, 03:07 PM
In the previous article everyone sides with Apple on the Samsung lawsuit. Everyone cried foul because Samsung seemed to copy Apple's design. Now, this news comes out of Apple essentially doing the SAME EXACT THING as Nintendo. Everyone cheers Apple. Make up your minds, is doing the same thing as another company good or bad? Or is it only good when it's your company doing the same thing. Either way, this won't beat out the Wii U as this has no legendary titles like Legend of Zelda, Super Mario, Star Fox, Metroid, Super Smash Bros, or Kirby. Not unless you consider Angry Birds legendary enough to compete with that.

A. This is not Apple doing the copying.

B. Apple built in this functionality before anyone saw the Wii U. I can't remember the order of the announcements, but iOS 5 was either the same day as or the day before the Nintendo announcement.

diamond.g
Jun 17, 2011, 03:14 PM

B. Apple built in this functionality before anyone saw the Wii U. I can't remember the order of the announcements, but iOS 5 was either the same day as or the day before the Nintendo announcement.

If anything this is the other way around versus what Nintendo does. They do all the processing on their "AppleTV" and send the results not only to the tablet, but to the screen as well. Let me know when the Apples stuff has 4 additional players on the screen doing stuff separate from what the iPad player is doing...

iJon
Jun 17, 2011, 03:17 PM

Your iPad's resolution is not the same as your HDTV which is why you're getting the black bars. You're going to have to change the settings on the TV to stretch or something to remove the bars.

Games that support mirroring like Real Racing HD will have 2 separate outputs, 1 that is tailored for the TV and one for the iPad which is why you don't see the bars.

It's the same setup when you do mirroring on a Mac laptop to a bigger screen or monitor. The resolution can only be as big as the smallest size, which would be your iPad. Kind of confusing but hopefully that makes sense.

dustinsc
Jun 17, 2011, 03:17 PM
If anything this is the other way around versus what Nintendo does. They do all the processing on their "AppleTV" and send the results not only to the tablet, but to the screen as well. Let me know when the Apples stuff has 4 additional players on the screen doing stuff separate from what the iPad player is doing...

Good point. It's fundamentally different. I am kind of intrigued by the Nintendo thing. If the price is right, I'd be interested, but I don't see how the price could possibly be right...

fjsiskilroy
Jun 17, 2011, 03:18 PM

You could tighten it up if Apple allowed Apps in the AppleTV itself. This would allow the games to be run locally in the AppleTV and use the iPad (or iPhone/iPod touch) as the controller.

The mechanic I imagine is for the App in the iPad to load part of the code in the AppleTV(the same way that disks on game consoles load up the next stage.

That way you could truly use it as a game console.

reactions
Jun 17, 2011, 03:19 PM
so let me play this game on my ipad over playing forza on the xbox 360? :confused:

mmm nope.

i still yet to find a compelling ipad game.

angry birds was pretty overrated

ten-oak-druid
Jun 17, 2011, 03:21 PM

I think it is one of my groupies you are responding to. Some people want to characterize all Apple users as fanboys and couch debates within certain guidelines. I refused to take their bait down and endless nonsensical discussion and I noticed my harmless post on this thread was rated negative followed by his post. LOL

Personally I'd like it if Apple and Nintendo somehow joined by either a buyout or collaboration. There would be real synergy.

paradox00
Jun 17, 2011, 03:21 PM

Apple's copying because they did it first?

diamond.g
Jun 17, 2011, 03:23 PM
Apple's copying because they did it first?

Didn't the DreamCast do it first?

dustinsc
Jun 17, 2011, 03:27 PM
I think it is one of my groupies you are responding to. Some people want to characterize all Apple users as fanboys and couch debates within certain guidelines. I refused to take their bait down and endless nonsensical discussion and I noticed my harmless post on this thread was rated negative followed by his post. LOL

Personally I'd like it if Apple and Nintendo somehow joined by either a buyout or collaboration. There would be real synergy.

Man, I would love to play classic Nintendo games on my iPhone. I don't see it happening, but I'll go ahead and dream.

rkdiddy
Jun 17, 2011, 03:36 PM
Now this is a game changer! I think this has the potential of really excelling the iPad into a gaming device.

Interesting the racing game took up the whole display.

IbisDoc
Jun 17, 2011, 03:39 PM

You could tighten it up if Apple allowed Apps in the AppleTV itself. This would allow the games to be run locally in the AppleTV and use the iPad (or iPhone/iPod touch) as the controller.

The mechanic I imagine is for the App in the iPad to load part of the code in the AppleTV(the same way that disks on game consoles load up the next stage.

That way you could truly use it as a game console.

Is there lag because the program is not on the apple TV itself, or is there lag because the control instructions have to be delivered through your network, as opposed to directly from one device to another?

ten-oak-druid
Jun 17, 2011, 03:41 PM
Man, I would love to play classic Nintendo games on my iPhone. I don't see it happening, but I'll go ahead and dream.

Speaking of Nintendo, they should release one game to get an instant hit: The original donkey kong with all 4 screens. Someone showed me you can find a ROM of it but If Nintendo sold this for Wii there would be many buyers from people who used to play. Most versions out there only have 3 of the screens.

Nintendo could do another thing for classic games: have competitions. Purchasers of classic games could play and compete regionally. The scores get uploaded and best players move on to higher levels of competition. And you only get "one quarter" per play.

That is one thing I discovered about the classic games. If you play them for free with endless additions of credits then it gets boring fast. But if you play for high score on one credit it has the same feel as back in the day when you were dropping money per play. Of course competing with others is more fun.

b76302
Jun 17, 2011, 03:44 PM
Does the mirroring work with iPad 1 and Apple TV2, or just iPad 2?

diamond.g
Jun 17, 2011, 03:47 PM

Is there lag because the program is not on the apple TV itself, or is there lag because the control instructions have to be delivered through your network, as opposed to directly from one device to another?

Cause the program isn't on the AppleTV itself.

*LTD*
Jun 17, 2011, 04:11 PM
Did you not see this coming?

This opens up all kinds of possibilities.

SJ demoing the original iPad was like the doors of perception finally opening.

Post-PC era, guys. Enjoy it. Just don't get left behind because it won't be any fun.

topmounter
Jun 17, 2011, 04:19 PM
I click play and I'm forced to watch a crappy Walgreens ad???... and by "forced", I mean I closed the window after 2 seconds.

Banners, lower-thirds, text, whatever, those ads are fine... but I'm not sitting through crappy pre-rolls.

MacOSXuser
Jun 17, 2011, 04:31 PM
Just get a real car and race on a track.

paradox00
Jun 17, 2011, 04:44 PM

I don't know, and I'm not sure why that's even relevant. I'd rather not go down the trollish road of who was the absolute "first" to implement an idea, even if only vaguely related to current implementations. I was obviously suggesting that Apple is implementing this technology before Nintendo, so they couldn't possibly be "copying" it from them, although the two implementations are completely different anyway.

phpmaven
Jun 17, 2011, 05:00 PM

I just bought the game and played a little. There is no lag at all during game play because using mirroring, however, I had quite a few annoying glitches that caused the whole game to stutter. I don't know if that's due to the beta nature of IOS or something going on with my network. It is really awesome when it's working. I hope they/I can work the glitches out.

FrizzleFryBen
Jun 17, 2011, 05:31 PM

I have an apple TV on every TV I have (3). My mind went strait to what Intel is already doing... Wireless HD transmission from laptop to compatible device. I would much rather connect an Apple TV to an HD projector at the office and be able to use it wirelessly with any Mac in the office. (no need for compatible device) They have something here....give it a little time. Oh yeah, apple TV would need to be 1080 rather than 720 for it to really work out for me. I'm pumped!

lilcosco08
Jun 17, 2011, 05:35 PM

Gamers?

thewireman
Jun 17, 2011, 07:51 PM
Does the mirroring work with iPad 1 and Apple TV2, or just iPad 2?

Since the iOS 5 will be out for iPad 1 and iPad 2, iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4, iPod Touch 3rd and 4th generation.

So yes.

iJon
Jun 17, 2011, 08:44 PM
Since the iOS 5 will be out for iPad 1 and iPad 2, iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4, iPod Touch 3rd and 4th generation.

So yes.

Wrong, mirroring is iPad 2 only. I'm sure the new iPhone will have the same capabilities too.

caspersoong
Jun 17, 2011, 08:48 PM
So it is now either cabled with an adapter or airplay with Apple TV? Still both very expensive options. I don't think it is worth it for just one device, iPad 2. Especially if you have so many other devices.

iJon
Jun 17, 2011, 08:51 PM
So it is now either cabled with an adapter or airplay with Apple TV? Still both very expensive options. I don't think it is worth it for just one device, iPad 2. Especially if you have so many other devices.

Do you know of any other two devices that will stream its screen to and HDTV for under $99 and do it well?

Let's not discount all the other things that the AppleTV does either. AppleTV is dirt-cheap for what it does and it's just gonna keep getting better.

4nNtt
Jun 17, 2011, 10:31 PM

The developer needs to add support for the TV's aspect ratio. There is a good chance Angry Birds will do this when iOS 5 is officially released.

MacAddict1978
Jun 18, 2011, 12:46 AM
maybe that's the reason why...... I'd buy an apple tv for that maybe not for the gaming..... but movies would rock as long as I could mirror not only my ipad but my iphone and my mac to the tv(use cables now) or the ps3 for movies with a half a** setup of a server that crashes more often the not...... so yea this would be cool.... y would I wanna display something from my ipad on my computer if the content(minus the games and apps) prob came from that pc in the first place ???

I'm sorry if I'm misunderstanding what you're staying, but the Apple TV will already display all the media on your Mac on your TV as long as it's in a quicktime compatible format.

This does make the Apple TV more useful though, mirror apps, the web, etc. (Not so much for YouTube, Netflix, or your iTunes library since it does that already.)

BUT WHY is this function not coming to the iPhone and just the iPad??? That's just stupid. Especially for gaming. The iPhone is a bit more ergonomically friendly for that kind of thing.

MacAddict1978
Jun 18, 2011, 12:52 AM

So yes.

Wrong. The feature is called AirPlay Mirroring for iPad 2, meaning just the iPad 2. The iPad 1's hardware isn't powerful enough to pull this off untethered. However, the iPhone 4 has zero hardware limitations.

http://www.apple.com/ios/ios5/features.html#more

Oh wait, (face slap), yes, if you could mirror your iPhone or iPod touch, it makes the need for a larger tablet screen less. Some people wouldn't bother buying the iPad. Bad Apple! Hello jailbreak community...

filmantopia
Jun 18, 2011, 12:59 AM

Yes. And they (Sega) won't be the last to stop making hardware to focus on software for other devices :p

Can't wait to play Super Mario Galaxy 3 on my iPad/Apple TV
:p:p

iJon
Jun 18, 2011, 01:26 AM
Wrong. The feature is called AirPlay Mirroring for iPad 2, meaning just the iPad 2. The iPad 1's hardware isn't powerful enough to pull this off untethered. However, the iPhone 4 has zero hardware limitations.

Oh wait, (face slap), yes, if you could mirror your iPhone or iPod touch, it makes the need for a larger tablet screen less. Some people wouldn't bother buying the iPad. Bad Apple! Hello jailbreak community...

The iPad 1 and iPhone 4 have the same processor. I would expect the next iPhone to have the exact mirroring capabilities when it comes out.

slimbek
Jun 18, 2011, 03:13 AM
And so we can now welcome the Apple TV to the genre of Games Console.

Love it!

adztaylor
Jun 18, 2011, 03:53 AM

Wow, just wow.

Dr McKay
Jun 18, 2011, 04:30 AM
Thats the thing, Nintendo could probably easily become the Top Dog in the iOS App Store, look at their DS Games, I bet most of them could easily be ported to run on iPhone.

barberio
Jun 18, 2011, 06:43 AM
Thats the thing, Nintendo could probably easily become the Top Dog in the iOS App Store, look at their DS Games, I bet most of them could easily be ported to run on iPhone.

Nintendo are starting to be squeezed because they run platforms more closed and locked down than Apple ever has. The last time they dabbled in releasing their first party titles on someone elses hardware was for the CDi, and that was only a IP licence to a low budget producer that shipped pretty awful products. Nintendo maintain control of their own ecosystem of accessories, downloadable item store et al.

Certinfy
Jun 18, 2011, 06:52 AM
Looks cool but just seems pointless to me. I mean most people have a PS3, 360, gaming PC and/or Wii at home so... :confused:

rdlink
Jun 18, 2011, 10:10 AM

Yeah, because nobody ever takes their iPad out of the house...

This is the same thinking that said fail to the iPad when it came out because "it's just a giant iPod Touch." 14 months and 25 million units later...

steadysignal
Jun 18, 2011, 03:10 PM
time to get that apple tv now...

:)

lilcosco08
Jun 18, 2011, 06:35 PM
Doesn't compare to a console/ gaming PC

Supa_Fly
Jun 18, 2011, 08:42 PM
While this will never be the primary way to play games on an iPad, it is very cool!

Kind of like the AppleTV is a console... only with all the brains and storage being in the wireless controller. Neat!

Id certainly be tempted to spend the extra $70 on an AppleTV instead of a video adapter, if/when I want that ability for my iPad.

WHAT?!

Dude open your mind. MMOPG with Map based on iPad with controls and full suite of action on the TV. Pull in multiple US users with ATV's and a treasure hunt would make Carmen San Diego WORTH its weight in gold when that cartoon debuted.

alectheking
Jun 18, 2011, 09:10 PM
this works in the current build of real racing 2. I didn't expect it to but I upgraded my atv 2 today and the iPad fully functions as a controller only and the game is formatted for HDTV's.

DaveN
Jun 19, 2011, 11:43 AM

I don't see why it wouldn't play on a Mac. Right now Airplay gives you a choice to stream to Apple TV or a Mac. I don't see why we wouldn't have the same option here.

soapsuds
Jun 19, 2011, 11:45 AM
Wow, that lag looked pretty bad (maybe 250 ms or more) when he was playing Angry Birds. I don't see how Real Racing could improve on that, if it's really due to having to compress the video stream, send it over the wifi network, and then have the AppleTV decode it and display it. I realize people are saying they played it and it was okay, but it's hard to imagine it would be usable for action games.

If the next AppleTV has enough graphical horsepower to run the game directly and use the iPad just as a smart controller, that would seem like it would work better, but it doesn't make any sense for Apple to give the Apple TV as much processing power as the iPhone/iPad/iPod touch since it's primarily for watching movies and has a $99 price point.

iMattcotv
Jun 21, 2011, 04:34 AM
They need to make some type of high-data transfering signal (bc bluetooth sucks) into every single monitor / tv..

Imagine whipping out your iPhone 5, playing completely full HD games and videos AND NOT PAYING FOR OVER USAGE?

:P

djrod
Jun 22, 2011, 04:39 AM
I don't see why it wouldn't play on a Mac. Right now Airplay gives you a choice to stream to Apple TV or a Mac. I don't see why we wouldn't have the same option here.

You can if you have 5 bucks:

http://www.airserverapp.com/

ArtOfWarfare
Jan 11, 2012, 02:26 PM
The clock is off by 18 minutes.