Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NumeroTen

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 7, 2010
Hey guys, so after a few months, I'm finally pretty comfortable with going around this website business, my pages SEO are usually ranked someone where in the first page, and my techniques have gotten better, but I still want to improve!
Can you please critique my website?
http://www.numeroten.com/

Basically, here is what it is about. Top 10 Lists based on categories, Blogs that my friends do (Food Blog, Book Blog, and Soon Music blog, Movie Blog, and Game Blog) Also, I'm trying to implement a tutorial section headed by one of my youtube friends. What is fun is that my staff each has its own thing which allows us to concentrate on things.!

ratzzo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2011
Madrid
Oh wow your site made me hungry!

If you want advice from myself, an average user entering your site, I'd say you should try to make the background a gray-black color as reading on white screens can be tiresome. Also, I'm not too fond of the exotic-colored buttons at the bottom :eek:

NumeroTen

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 7, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_8 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E401 Safari/6533.18.5)

I'll see what i can do. And bot seo and design. Also, for the top 10 in google. Jist putting the words top 10 is harderBut more precises ones of what i have woll bring it up

ezekielrage_99

macrumors 68040
Oct 12, 2005
Bacon nature's candy... I'm a firm believer bacon makes all things better :D

Besides the bacon I agree I'm not a fan of the images not lining up, or slanty shanty...

NumeroTen

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 7, 2010
Tilt is gone

I fixed the tilt problem, after looking at it for a while i got annoyed to haha..... Making the images the same size or lining up is a different issue.. It is hard enough to get free picks for certain topics without License issues.... so it may be a bit harder to do that!

IgnatiusTheKing

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2007
Texas
Im looking at the site on an iPad, which could be the culprit, but almost all of the tilted images have jagged edges. Besides that, I don't love the Polaroid look or the fonts you've chosen, but the layout is clean and sensible, so those are really just personal preference notes. Good job.

sumone

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2011
Wow this is quite ironic! I am currently taking a technical writing class in college and today we had to hand in an assignment where we critiqued professional websites.

There are a ton of different things you have to take into consideration like text size and font. Effective use of white space, page alignment, organization of content, design consistency. While i'm not going to critique you on every little thing because i'm kind of exhausted from the paper I just had to write, lol, I'll give a few pointers from what I learned.

To start I would say I like your page it's clear and neat.

Some things to fix may be:

Adding a home hyperlink to the logo, though not a big deal apparently its a convention that many users expect you to have. Even here on Macrumors there's a logo link and a navigation link for the home page.

Your user should not have to use too much scrolling, use the three click rule i.e. no more than three clicks to the end of the page. I would definitely try to condense the footer on the main page there's way too much info down there. You might want to break your main page into a grid or several columns and dedicate one whole column to "Recent Post"

I believe that the "About us" link should be somewhere at the top because that's where most people will look for it. Perhaps put it in the top navigation.

Try to format the "top ten" graphics on the home page so that they are the same size.

I'd like to think the top banner is a work in progress other wise you should probably reduce the dimensions because its not a very effective use of space.

I would consider relocating for facebook and twitter boxes perhaps once again by using dedicated columns like engadget.com which has there facebook and twitter feeds in the right column.

Some text on the front page like an introduction might be nice so that readers understand what they are looking at, something like "Ever wanted to know where the richest countries in the world are or the biggest party songs of the month well look no further we've got you covered!" You don't need to use that exact text but something along those lines.

Aside from that I see you haven't finished but you seem to be on the right track. You're know where near some of these websites http://www.webpagesthatsuck.com/worst-websites-of-2010.html so your doing good, lol. Good luck :)

NumeroTen

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 7, 2010
Wow this is quite ironic! I am currently taking a technical writing class in college and today we had to hand in an assignment where we critiqued professional websites.

There are a ton of different things you have to take into consideration like text size and font. Effective use of white space, page alignment, organization of content, design consistency. While i'm not going to critique you on every little thing because i'm kind of exhausted from the paper I just had to write, lol, I'll give a few pointers from what I learned.

To start I would say I like your page it's clear and neat.

Some things to fix may be:

Adding a home hyperlink to the logo, though not a big deal apparently its a convention that many users expect you to have. Even here on Macrumors there's a logo link and a navigation link for the home page.

Your user should not have to use too much scrolling, use the three click rule i.e. no more than three clicks to the end of the page. I would definitely try to condense the footer on the main page there's way too much info down there. You might want to break your main page into a grid or several columns and dedicate one whole column to "Recent Post"

I believe that the "About us" link should be somewhere at the top because that's where most people will look for it. Perhaps put it in the top navigation.

Try to format the "top ten" graphics on the home page so that they are the same size.

I'd like to think the top banner is a work in progress other wise you should probably reduce the dimensions because its not a very effective use of space.

I would consider relocating for facebook and twitter boxes perhaps once again by using dedicated columns like engadget.com which has there facebook and twitter feeds in the right column.

Some text on the front page like an introduction might be nice so that readers understand what they are looking at, something like "Ever wanted to know where the richest countries in the world are or the biggest party songs of the month well look no further we've got you covered!" You don't need to use that exact text but something along those lines.

Aside from that I see you haven't finished but you seem to be on the right track. You're know where near some of these websites http://www.webpagesthatsuck.com/worst-websites-of-2010.html so your doing good, lol. Good luck :)

Very nice feedback, i will see what I can do.. I think a little css coding should do the trick thx

NumeroTen

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 7, 2010
would you recommend taking out the front page and chaning the whoe thing to something more contemporary? or template like per say?

AFPoster

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2008
Charlotte, NC
I've got a question. The source says you used RapidWeaver and I'm learning myself in building sites is that a great App or is Coda / Dreamweaver better?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.