Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

juazlee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 5, 2011
Heya.

I've decided to buy one of these nifty little things, but I'm a little uneasy. I'll be in San Francisco until July 1st, and I have the feeling I won't be seeing the new MBA until then. But, I live in Brazil, and these things are CRAZY expensive there, so I'm taking the opportunity.

I'll wait until the 24th or so before placing an order, but I'm a little worried about a few things:

1) Are refurbs from Apple safe? I've been down that road and got a lotta pain, but I've seen so many people buying them that... I think I've answered my own question, haven't I... -.-"

2) I heard about old processors, something-something, new OSX, no support, etc. Should I be worried about getting a C2D processor at this point? I mean, for the things I do, it's perfect, I'm only going to use eclipse (coding) and watch some HD videos on it, as well as some light gaming.

Any help would be appreciated!
Cheers!

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
1.) Macintosh computers refurbished by Apple are great computers and just as good as a new retail model.

2.) The C2D processors are still very good processors just not as good as the latest and greatest that's out now.

A refurbished C2D MBA would be a great computer if that was your only option.

mfram

Contributor
Jan 23, 2010
San Diego, CA USA
I wouldn't worry about getting a refurb. I purchased a 13" MBA refurb. The computer looked brand new except that it wasn't in a retail box. The refurb has the same warranty from Apple, so I wouldn't worry.

My understanding is that sometimes they even put their extra new stock into the refurb section to work down extra inventory. Given that we are close to another MBA refresh, that might be happening behind the scenes.

pmr1

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2011
I've bought two refurb machines from Apple in the past fews. An aluminium macbook and an imac 27".

Both still work flawlessly - and the laptop is nearly its 4th birthday next year.

The only issue is that you can't customise them anymore (ie no 4gb ram on 2gb ram air models)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.