Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

admiraldennis

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 19, 2002
Boston, MA
Something I was pondering myself eight months or so ago. Some Windows freak was reminding me about "mac only has 5%", etc.. Well, thinking mathmaticly as a do, I told him: That's 1 in 20. That's actually a lot. And then I began thinking... if supposivly 1 out of 20 computers use Mac OS (I was always actually very skeptical of this... I was sure it was more), and Apple is the only company that makes computers that run Mac OS, then they aren't doing bad at all. Then I thought about the practicly infinate amount of PC manufacturers. I thought for sure Apple was in the top 5 or so. Then I came accross this . Something to prove my point. This person spent a very long time, gathering info from many, many places and putting it together to get this result:

The percentages of installed personal computers around the world, by manufacturer:

11.6% Apple
10.4% Compaq
9.8% Dell
9.1% IBM
7.3% Hewlett-Packard
5.1% Sony
3.4% Toshiba
3.1% NEC
3.0% Packard-Bell
2.1% eMachines
1.7% Microstar
1.3% Fujitsu
32.1% Others (each less than 1%)

Wow. I was right. To all my "windowz" friends: Stick that in yer pipe and smoke it!

spuncan

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2001
Detroit
this must have been an older study cuz i would add hp/compaq puting apple in 2nd. but thats still very good. I hope this is an accurate study.

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
Anybody see Gatelaid in that list? :rolleyes:

SpyMac has been posting YKW over the past few months...let's see if in the future this one holds up.

If so, publish it, get it out to the news, and tell everyone that it's more like 1 out of 9 computers run the Mac OS.

saint

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2002
Sydney
The 5% market share figure is still probably correct, or it is close to 5%.
It is because Macs seem to last longer than PCs that less of them are sold, so there are more Macs being used by people, but not as many are being sold.

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
i think perhaps we could consider the difference between "the market" and "already purchased personal computers..." that's really not the most logical research document i have seen lately. as a matter of fact, it's horribly referenced. oh wait, it's NOT referenced. windows users don't need to suck on anything. this economy is not about what computers people own, it's about what computers they are buying, and one in ten sure as hell aren't buying apples. that would be astronomical. they aren't the #1 manufacturer, even if they have made the most widely owned brand. personally, i'd much rather have a small amount of implementation and a huge percent of the market--that would imply growth. however, if your marketshare is less than your implementation (the 11% compared to the 3% say), that would actually be bad news.... so i really don't see what all this is getting at.

however, interesting stats, and i don't mean to defend PCs at all, i just want to be sensible about this.

G5orbust

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2002
w00t!!!!!

Im gunna speak in leet for this one:

4|>|>/_E |2U/_E2!!!!!

(for all u non-geeks out tehre: apple rules!!!!!)

alex_ant

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2002
All up in your bidness
The Register recently quoted some market research firm as saying that about 3.5% of all personal computers sold in the US at the time of the report were Apples, and a percent or 2 less elsewhere in the world. Their market share is slowly rising, though.

If Apple has 5% of the installed base, I don't think it's because Apple hardware lasts longer - I think it's because people use it longer.

Where I am, at a Big Ten university, I've seen hundreds and hundreds of laptop computers in use over the past few years - mostly by law students - and out of those, exactly three were Apples. One was a snow iBook, and two were TiBooks. One of the TiBooks was mine, and I'm not a law student. :) If my firsthand experience means anything (and maybe it doesn't), Dell has an astonishing share of the laptop market. Gateway and Compaq are the other two biggies, but so many laptops I see have that ugly round silver Dell logo on the lid it's staggering.

Alex

Bradcoe

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2002
Northeast U.S.

When you're as small as Apple, theres no where else to go but up! Most of their users aren't about to jump ship to another OS. They own a mac and the next computer they purchase will most likely be a mac.Apple has over a BILLION dollars in cash. Thats liquid folks. It's not tied up in stocks, bonds, or anything else. MS on the other hand has about 95% of the market. When you're that big, you can't get any bigger. When you're as big as you can be, the only place to go is down. Things take time, but changes will happen

Rajj

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2002
32° 44' N 117° 10' W
Re: ...

Originally posted by Bradcoe
When you're as small as Apple, theres no where else to go but up! Most of their users aren't about to jump ship to another OS. They own a mac and the next computer they purchase will most likely be a mac.Apple has over a BILLION dollars in cash. Thats liquid folks. It's not tied up in stocks, bonds, or anything else. MS on the other hand has about 95% of the market. When you're that big, you can't get any bigger. When you're as big as you can be, the only place to go is down. Things take time, but changes will happen

I concur, if you look at Forbes you will see that Bill Gates' networth dropped big time!! :p

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Originally posted by alex_ant

If Apple has 5% of the installed base, I don't think it's because Apple hardware lasts longer - I think it's because people use it longer.

Alex
Correction: The Spmac.com piece stated that Apple's installed base exceeds 11% of the computers in use. As for your speculation that Apple hardware doesn't last longer, you are just splitting hairs, and not very artfully.

If your hardware breaks, then you have have to replace it. However, it doesn't have to break for it to be of no use to you. If the hardware or software can't perform the new tasks you require of it--even if performs your old tasks perfectly well--then you also need to replace it.

The wonderful thing about Macs is that they tend to be forward compatible. When old Mac software is no longer useful, the software gets replaced. To a much greater extent, when old Windows software is no longer useful, the hardware gets replaced.

alex_ant

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2002
All up in your bidness
Originally posted by MisterMe
If your hardware breaks, then you have have to replace it. However, it doesn't have to break for it to be of no use to you. If the hardware or software can't perform the new tasks you require of it--even if performs your old tasks perfectly well--then you also need to replace it.

The wonderful thing about Macs is that they tend to be forward compatible. When old Mac software is no longer useful, the software gets replaced. To a much greater extent, when old Windows software is no longer useful, the hardware gets replaced.
Most Mac users really like their Macs and wouldn't want to use anything else, so they simply try to keep the software up to date as best they can before they can afford a new Mac. The reason PCs are more frequently replaced, if they are, is because that's a luxury afforded by the cheaper hardware on that side of the fence. So I think the reason Macs tend to "last" longer is not technical - it's preferential or financial.

Alex

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA

Most Mac users really like their Macs and wouldn't want to use anything else, so they simply try to keep the software up to date as best they can before they can afford a new Mac.
Buyers don't buy just computers. They decide among a panoply of choices--be it an automobile, new home, entertainment system, expensive meals at restaurant, etc. The choice to buy one thing is the choice to postpone the purchases of other things. If you are correct in your assessment, then an Apple buyer will likely choose to buy the computer he loves rather than that new suite of office furniture. After all, if he loves his 1999 PowerMac G3, then he expects to love a new 2001 PowerMac G4 even more. In the words of that old Beatles song: "Love is all you need."

Still, Mac users tend to hold onto their machines. I offer an alternate theory. The average Mac user doesn't "love" his or her computer. He/she bought it and uses it because it allows him/her to concentrate on getting the job done. The Mac "just works" without a lot of fuss or muss. One software package installed on it can be upgraded without fear that the other software will be broken by the upgrade.

The reason PCs are more frequently replaced, if they are, is because that's a luxury afforded by the cheaper hardware on that side of the fence. So I think the reason Macs tend to "last" longer is not technical - it's preferential or financial.

Alex
There are PCs which are purchased by users with their own money. A small fraction of those build their own machines. However, the vast majority of PCs are used in business. The users are paid to use them.

The Mac and PC markets have very different dynamics. People who buy Macs tend to purchase them with funds at their disposal for their own use. Mac users tend to provide their own technical support. People who buy PCs tend to purchase them with other people's money for use by third parties. Upgrading software and peripherals can be a nighmare. Buying new machines is an expensive form of technical support.

Dr. Distortion

macrumors regular
May 2, 2002
Eindhoven, the Netherlands
The Register recently quoted some market research firm as saying that about 3.5% of all personal computers sold in the US at the time of the report were Apples, and a percent or 2 less elsewhere in the world. Their market share is slowly rising, though.

Where I am, at a Big Ten university, I've seen hundreds and hundreds of laptop computers in use over the past few years - mostly by law students - and out of those, exactly three were Apples. One was a snow iBook, and two were TiBooks. One of the TiBooks was mine, and I'm not a law student. :) If my firsthand experience means anything (and maybe it doesn't), Dell has an astonishing share of the laptop market. Gateway and Compaq are the other two biggies, but so many laptops I see have that ugly round silver Dell logo on the lid it's staggering.

Alex

Here in the Netherlands Toshiba and Fujitsu seem to have the biggest share in laptops.

alex_ant

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2002
All up in your bidness
Buyers don't buy just computers. They decide among a panoply of choices--be it an automobile, new home, entertainment system, expensive meals at restaurant, etc. The choice to buy one thing is the choice to postpone the purchases of other things. If you are correct in your assessment, then an Apple buyer will likely choose to buy the computer he loves rather than that new suite of office furniture. After all, if he loves his 1999 PowerMac G3, then he expects to love a new 2001 PowerMac G4 even more.

Well, opportunity cost is present in all our buying decisions, whether Mac or PC. I was speaking only in terms of computer purchasing.
Still, Mac users tend to hold onto their machines. I offer an alternate theory. The average Mac user doesn't "love" his or her computer. He/she bought it and uses it because it allows him/her to concentrate on getting the job done. The Mac "just works" without a lot of fuss or muss. One software package installed on it can be upgraded without fear that the other software will be broken by the upgrade.

I pretty much agree. Maybe "love" was too strong a word, but I think most Mac users who realize how much less troublesome their Macs are compared to PCs have an affinity for their machines, and all things remaining constant, wouldn't want to abandon their Macs (except for newer Macs :)).
The Mac and PC markets have very different dynamics. People who buy Macs tend to purchase them with funds at their disposal for their own use. Mac users tend to provide their own technical support. People who buy PCs tend to purchase them with other people's money for use by third parties. Upgrading software and peripherals can be a nighmare. Buying new machines is an expensive form of technical support.
Yeah, I don't quite remember what I was arguing for at this point, but I think any simple explanation of why a platform has the market share it does can only be arrived at by generalization. It's all very complex, and everything plays a part, and it's easy to generalize, but that doesn't tell the whole story. Not that you were generalizing, or that generalizing is evil and must be avoided at all costs, but, yeah.

Alex

Telomar

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2002

Correction: The Spmac.com piece stated that Apple's installed base exceeds 11% of the computers in use.
Before you all get caught up in those numbers I'd have some serious questions on their reliability.

The numbers I've heard from actual research companies is ~5% and unlike Spymac's data they actually provide methods of double checking it and use methods a little more reliable than internet searches.

In the end it doesn't matter one bit. Companies don't look at installed base they look at what is selling now because that is what provides a view to the future.

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
Re: Apple is the #1 manufacturer of computers in the world.

Originally posted by admiraldennis

The percentages of installed personal computers around the world, by manufacturer:

11.6% Apple
10.4% Compaq
9.8% Dell
9.1% IBM
7.3% Hewlett-Packard
5.1% Sony
3.4% Toshiba
3.1% NEC
3.0% Packard-Bell
2.1% eMachines
1.7% Microstar
1.3% Fujitsu
32.1% Others (each less than 1%)

installed computers...does that count all those outdated macs in poor or broke school districts around the world? ...installed computers sounds like such a worthless stat

we need more speed, we need the G5, and we need lower prices to get back some of the current marketshare

but one reason that there are so many installed macs is that they simply last longer, and as a pc tech, i can attest to that (so in that sense, macs are actually cheaper because one can own a mac which will work well for three years vs. a pc which gets outdated by the latest games/windows version/office version within 20-24 months)

mac software does not attempt to outdate a machine to spur hardware sales

buy mac!:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.