Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tsk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 14, 2004
Wisconsin
I've got a PowerBook 12" 1GHz machine that I'm considering selling. It's got just over a month left on the warranty which is making me think now might be a good time to unload it. If I don't sell it, I'm not going to get the Applecare. I plan on getting a new Powerbook over the summer (probably with the $200 rebate off an iPod).

So I'm wondering if it makes sense to unload it now while it still has a warranty and the next user can still get Applecare. Anyone have a ballpark on how much more an "in warranty" vs "out of warranty" PowerBook brings?

I can wing it for a few months right now, as I have a nice desktop I can use at home and at school.

Thanks.

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005
tsk said:
I've got a PowerBook 12" 1GHz machine that I'm considering selling. It's got just over a month left on the warranty which is making me think now might be a good time to unload it. If I don't sell it, I'm not going to get the Applecare. I plan on getting a new Powerbook over the summer (probably with the $200 rebate off an iPod).

So I'm wondering if it makes sense to unload it now while it still has a warranty and the next user can still get Applecare. Anyone have a ballpark on how much more an "in warranty" vs "out of warranty" PowerBook brings?

I can wing it for a few months right now, as I have a nice desktop I can use at home and at school.

Thanks.

tsk,

It might be a good idea to sell, while it is still under warranty. You might want to compare warranty and non-warranty Powerbooks being sold on ebay. It is a tough call. If it wasn't for that iPod rebate you're hoping for, I would certainly tell you to sell it now.

JzzTrump22

macrumors 65816
Apr 13, 2004
New York
I would say to sell it now, because once that warantee runs out, it will be more difficult to sell and you won't get as much money.

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
I suspect you wont get much extra for selling somebody the opportunity to pay an additional $350 for Applecare on a year old computer. I think most people who are buying a used computer are really looking for the best price they can get and Applecare is going to be a pretty pricey add-on.

on the other hand, selling it as a "less than year old" laptop will probably get you a better price than selling a "year old" computer just for psychological reasons

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.