Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macbaseball

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 27, 2005
Northern California
Which 20 inch monitor are you buying and why. I can't decide between the widescreen and the normal aspect and I was just wondering what other people are thinking.

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
I'm not buying either, since I decided to opt for the 1901FP when a great deal came my way...

But I would get the 2005FPW, no question. Once you go widescreen, it's hard to go back. I had widescreen for a time when I had the iMac G4. I still miss it a year later, but circumstances keep me from getting a widescreen LCD. I'll just have to wait a bit longer I guess.

therevolution

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2003
Maybe it's just me, but I don't like using a widescreen display on a computer. Think about it; when you're reading a web page, or writing a document, are you ever hurting for horizontal space? Since I find myself scrolling up/down a lot more than I scroll left/right, I value the vertical real estate more. I think the only exception is when watching a movie. Maybe there are other uses for a widescreen display, but it seems to me that woudn't be the case for most people.

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005
therevolution said:
Maybe it's just me, but I don't like using a widescreen display on a computer. Think about it; when you're reading a web page, or writing a document, are you ever hurting for horizontal space? Since I find myself scrolling up/down a lot more than I scroll left/right, I value the vertical real estate more. I think the only exception is when watching a movie. Maybe there are other uses for a widescreen display, but it seems to me that woudn't be the case for most people.

I certainly prefer widescreen. I want to get more applications side by size. If you always maximize your window, like Windows users tend to do (I should know having used Windows for years) then 4:3 makes sense, for the reasons you listed. However, once you think outside the maximize, I sure do like widescreen. I can see this browser window, itunes, and my mail all on my screen, setup perfectly.

Another note on the 2 Dell 20 inchers in particular, the widescreen model is somewhat newer, so I think some of its specs are a little better (reponse, brightness, etc.)

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
therevolution said:
Maybe it's just me, but I don't like using a widescreen display on a computer. Think about it; when you're reading a web page, or writing a document, are you ever hurting for horizontal space?
Oooh Yeah. Anyone who uses Photoshop, Quark, Dreamweaver, Illustrator etc. knows that there are so many palettes, tools, Information boxes, and overlapping document windows that you need as much horizontal room as possible to get them offa your working document.

mleok

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2005
La Jolla, CA
There will apparently be pivoting support in Tiger, so you will be able to use the 2005FPW as a very long Portrait display.

jer446

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2004
cant you just turn it horizontally and have a long screen that way? Am i missing something?

macbaseball

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 27, 2005
Northern California
I think it comes with special software that allows the user to use the horizonal mode, but I'm not positive. It's probably not supported by Macs anyways.

By reading the responses I've come to this conclusion. This is the question I have to ask myself: Do I want a slightly bigger screen (Slightly shorter but taller) with slightly worse graphics or do I want a longer but shorter display with better graphics, but many games don't support it's resolution? Also the 2005FPW is the newest technology and DVD's look better on it so that's also a plus. Tough question, I'm still not sure.

macbaseball

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 27, 2005
Northern California
Also I have some video at both 720x528 and 720x480. These videos are encoded in MPEG-4. How do I figure out which one will be better on which screen. The 720x528 looks a lot better on my current Powerbook screen [1280x854 (15 inch)] so I considering converting all of it to 720x528. Also will the video become all pixelated when it is blow up to 1600x either 528 or 480.

supergod

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2004
Toronto
I have the 2005fpw and I highly recommend it: it is the best value on a widescreen monitor by far. The 20" size is actually perfect for practical usage.

I must warn however about the portrait mode on the monitor. Yes, it does ship with software for windows XP that allows you to rotate the monitor and use it as a very long screen, but the practicality of this is lacking. It is possible to tilt the monitor initially, but as soon as you have 4 USB cords hooked up to it, along with the USB out to the computer, the power and the DVI, it becomes impossible to turn. The strain on the mechanism by the cables makes it very jerky, especially if you make use of the rubber piece on the back that collects all the cables neatly.

Toreador93

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2003
Mmmmmm, widescreen *drools*

I love my 2005FPW. Although it developed 1.5 stuck pixels after two or three weeks, I really don't notice them (green subpixel, and red/blue subs, which almost cancel each other out). A little sad, but still a great deal for 20 inches of widescreen bliss.

I didn't think I would do this, but now I often have multiple windows up at once, which is nice when surfing and chatting. The browser takes up 2/3 of the left, and chat window and mp3 player on the right.

To macbaseball:
Almost all newer games have a widescreen option. Even Counter Strike 1.6 is able to do widescreen. The newest game that doesn't seems to be AoE II, which is relatively old. Doom 3 for the PC doesn't natively support it, but it will work with a few tweaks in a config file.

Yes, the 720x528 movie will be pixelated, but it will on anything bigger than that res. 720x528 res is 1.36:1, which is close to 4:3 (1.33:1). The 720x480 is 1.5:1, which is close to 16:10 (1.6:1). I'm surprised you say the first res is better on your 15" widescreen. The 20" widescreen ratio will be a little wider than your LCD now.

macbaseball

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 27, 2005
Northern California
Thanks, do you think it will become pixalated or do you think it will just add black bars on the sides. I just thought of that. It will probably get a little fuzzy from being blow up, but if there are black bars, maybe it won't be that bad.

Toreador93

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2003
I guess it'll depend on the software, but it will probably natively just show black bars. I've never seen otherwise so far.

boodle

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2004
mleok said:
There will apparently be pivoting support in Tiger, so you will be able to use the 2005FPW as a very long Portrait display.
There will be indeed. A friend of mine has a 2005FPW and Tiger. Here are some screenshots from the rotated screen. It's a very nice display but not as precise as the Apple Cinema 20".

Attachments

• Picture1.jpg
    Picture1.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 129
  • Picture2.jpg
    Picture2.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 110
  • Picture3.jpg
    Picture3.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 112
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.