Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

webstershamm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 25, 2005
hawaii
Did any one see the 2005 rock and roll hall of fame induction show?
bruce springsteen inducted U2. in his speech he mentioned how he wants
a deal like U2 got for the iPod. how he told his manager to get a hold of bill gates to make a red,white, and blue iPod for him.
-----------
Now do all of you think he owes a public applogiy to steve jobs.

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Washington, DC
It's just a matter of distance from the subject. If you don't really care all that much, Gates and Jobs are pretty much two interchangable peas in a pod, so to speak.

Platform

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2004
Well this shows how much people know about apple.

Computer so called "experts" have no clue about apple either and say "carp, they can't do this and that"

Well we need more comercials :D

mward333

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2004
springsteen iPod would be awesome!

I would buy a Springsteen iPod in a second. Right now, I am playing my iTunes playlist of over 300 Bruce songs. In fact, my 1 GB Shuffle is completely full of only Springsteen songs.

So what if he said "Bill Gates"? I love Apple and have been using Apple machines for approximately 20 years, but I recognize that most people wouldn't know Bill Gates apart from Steve Jobs or from Adam or the man-on-the-street, etc. To the average person, these technology gurus are all the same (unfortunately).

If Springsteen wants a red-white-and-blue iPod, I hope Apple makes one. That would be too cool. I would probably buy one for me, one for my wife, and one for my son. Put 3 on order for me! ha ha I would love that. Whew.

OK, I will calm down now.

mward333

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2004
Springsteen and Kerry

That was a funny picture--imagine Springsteen mistaking Kerry for Dukakis! LOL

I really enjoyed watching Springsteen tour with Kerry during the election.

No matter who you voted for in the election, I think most people could admit that it is pretty cool that Springsteen (a huge rock star and a real American icon) was touring with Kerry. That was really special. Springsteen wants to see lots of young people voting. I like that a lot.

RBMaraman

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2002
New Albany, IN
webstershamm said:
Did any one see the 2005 rock and roll hall of fame induction show?
bruce springsteen inducted U2. in his speech he mentioned how he wants
a deal like U2 got for the iPod. how he told his manager to get a hold of bill gates to make a red,white, and blue iPod for him.
-----------
Now do all of you think he owes a public applogiy to steve jobs.

Actually, his exact quote was "Call up Bill Gates or whoever makes this iPod thing and pitch a red, white and blue iPod signed by Bruce "The Boss" Springsteen."

When he said Bill Gates, you could hear people laughing, most likely because they know it's actually Jobs.

CorvusCamenarum

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2004
Birmingham, AL
redAPPLE said:
don't expect a musician to know everything.

Or anything for that matter. My theory is that the more of a pop culture icon/celebrity someone happens to be, the stupider they are. Not always true, I know, but a good rule of thumb.

Maybe Steve should go out and say how he really likes that "Born in the USA" song, and then attribute it to someone other than Bruce.

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2005
On TV they show the show - when they show it again, they should put an overdub, like this:

"Call up Last name Jobs, First Name Steveor whoever makes this iPod thing and pitch a red, white and blue iPod signed by Bruce "The Boss" Springsteen"

absolut_mac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2003
Dallas, Texas
CorvusCamenarum said:
Maybe Steve should go out and say how he really likes that "Born in the USA" song, and then attribute it to someone other than Bruce.

Yes!!!

Something along the lines of "I love that song *Born in the USA* by that English chap - what's his name - oh yes, Elton John" ;)

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
Bruce Springsteen = Annie Savoy (Susan Sarandon) in Bull Durham:

"Honey, would you rather I were making love to him using your name, or making love to you using his name?"

Would you rather that Bill Gates was the man behind the iPod, or that Steve Jobs was the man behind the iPod and Brucey just got the name wrong? :p

jemeinc

macrumors 6502a
Feb 14, 2004
South Jersey
mward333 said:
n.

No matter who you voted for in the election, I think most people could admit that it is pretty cool that Springsteen (a huge rock star and a real American icon) was touring with Kerry. That was really special. Springsteen wants to see lots of young people voting. I like that a lot.

What makes Springsteen an "American icon"- Unfortunately that whole concert series had little effect on young people voting- it's a shame, but what are ya' gonna do- I applaud the effort though- I think if they tried it again with less of an agenda and more of a focus on just voting it could have some effect- but you never know- anyway, enough about politics...

Honestly, to me, Springsteen is like the Outback Steakhouses' success; I just don't get it, the Outback serves grilled meat in a contrived environment- yet people wait in line for hours to go there- Bruce isn't a very good guitar player, doesn't really sing all that great, and really isn't as good of a songwriter as he gets credit for (Born To Run is a great album but most of the others are average), yet people consider him an icon-...I'm not knocking you for digging Bruce, I admit I've got all of his albums because my wife's a big fan- I'm just saying I don't see what the big deal about him is- ever since he stopped putting on those 4 hour shows in which they carried him off the stage I've always considered him to be way overrated... That's just my opinion though...

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
yuc7zhd2 said:
Bruce is the boss. If you don't get it now you just never will.
Yes, I don't get it...

His answer does lead me to believe he wouldn't get very far as a contestant on Jeopardy or Who Wants To Be A Millionaire.

But it does prove that anybody with a superb agent can take anybody with the cranial capacity of a redneck with a case of beer in his belly, a blow torch in his hand, and a lift kit waiting to be installed -- and lift them up to the stars, if they don't get taken out by the first low lying tree branch they come across.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
crap freakboy said:
Bruce who?
Play"Free Bird" :p

The thing about Bruce is that he is an average joe that sings about the common man, His voice is raspy but thats why people like him.

mward333

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2004
I know that many folks believe Springsteen is simply overrated. It is hard to believe that it has been 30 years since Born to Run was recorded.

I admire Bruce most-of-all for his songwriting, both the words and the music too. His voice is raspy, and his guitar playing is average, I guess, but that's OK.... (He plays guitar and sings a lot better than I do, of course!)

He just writes great songs about average folks, so average folks like myself can identify them. I know he is a multimillionaire, so it surprises me that his songs about common folks are so good. He just has a knack for songwriting, I guess.

Anyway, bring on the red-white-and-blue iPod! :) That would be fun.

deanbo

macrumors regular
May 6, 2003
Bruce gets it wrong!

CorvusCamenarum said:

I like that idea. Thank Rod Stewart or Barry Manilow for "born in the USA".

Sol

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2003
Australia
iPod: Nationalist Edition

mward333 said:
Anyway, bring on the red-white-and-blue iPod! :) That would be fun.

I know Apple has more sense than to stick the American flag on the iPod. That is the kind of blatant nationalism that will turn off a lot of people in the non-America parts of the world.

If you want to show the world what a good American you are then you could engrave 'Mission Accomplished!' at the back of your new iPod.

mward333

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2004
Yeah, I guess that's true: An iPod that is colored with red-white-and-blue would definitely offend a lot of folks from other countries. Apple should make its customers all over the world happy, if it wants the iPod to be a worldwide hit.

So maybe Bruce's idea for an American-color iPod was a bad idea for Apple after all.

Maybe I'll just get something like "This iPod was Born to Run" engraved on my next iPod instead.

Apple Hobo

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2004
A series of tubes
What if Apple did make a small number of limited edition r/w/b iPods exclusively for U.S. customers? If the normal white iPod is available to everyone in the world, why get offended? It's not like a r/w/b iPod would be the only choice for everyone in the world. :rolleyes:

Personally speaking, I do not think Apple should make something like a r/w/b pod, but I say this due to non-political reasons in mind.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.