Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ResPublica

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 12, 2011
Can you still use Quicktime 7 in Lion?
Does Apple still deliver QT7 as an optional install in Lion, like in Snow Leopard? Or did they remove it?

Gratias vobis ago,
res publica

CyBeRino

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2011
Can you still use Quicktime 7 in Lion?
Does Apple still deliver QT7 as an optional install in Lion, like in Snow Leopard? Or did they remove it?

Gratias vobis ago,
res publica

Not only is QT7 still in Lion (it has to be, as QTX doesn't support everything it does yet), it's actually the better option for playing full-screen. Unlike Quicktime Player X, QT7 still does regular full screen, exactly like in Snow Leopard. QTX, for instance, won't do full-screen on a secondary screen.

ResPublica

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 12, 2011
Not only is QT7 still in Lion (it has to be, as QTX doesn't support everything it does yet), it's actually the better option for playing full-screen. Unlike Quicktime Player X, QT7 still does regular full screen, exactly like in Snow Leopard. QTX, for instance, won't do full-screen on a secondary screen.
Actually, my experience with full-screen Quicktime 7 (in SL) isn't good. It seems like QT7 always 'choses' just one screen for full screen view, whatever I do. But QT X always takes the screen where it's window is. So if I play a video on my left screen in QT X, then press Command+F, the video always goes full screen on my left screen. In QT 7, it often goes full-screen on my right screen.

CyBeRino

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2011
Actually, my experience with full-screen Quicktime 7 (in SL) isn't good. It seems like QT7 always 'choses' just one screen for full screen view, whatever I do. But QT X always takes the screen where it's window is. So if I play a video on my left screen in QT X, then press Command+F, the video always goes full screen on my left screen. In QT 7, it often goes full-screen on my right screen.

This is true, but that's because rather than pick whatever screen it's on, it has a selection for this in its preferences. You can set in there what screen to full-screen onto. You can also select it when you do 'Present movie' instead of full-screen (shift-cmd-F instead of cmd-F).

ResPublica

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 12, 2011
This is true, but that's because rather than pick whatever screen it's on, it has a selection for this in its preferences. You can set in there what screen to full-screen onto. You can also select it when you do 'Present movie' instead of full-screen (shift-cmd-F instead of cmd-F).
Didn't know that! Thanks for the info

kovacm

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2009
how to install ?

and how to install QuickTime 7 on Lion ??

.qtz trick does not work anymore !!

thanx in advance ;)

btw TRIM in QTX sucks because there is no keyboard shortcuts for markers and beside, QTX ALWAYS re-encode video (lose quality when trimming)!!!

Blakeasd

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2009
Double click on a file that needs Quicktime 7 to be opened and you should get a window prompting you to download Quicktime 7.

Jerome Morrow

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2011
United Kingdom
Double click on a file that needs Quicktime 7 to be opened and you should get a window prompting you to download Quicktime 7.

Yeah that doesn't work anymore and if you have upgraded to Lion from SL where you had QT7 and you install iTunes 10.5 beta it will not work saying it requires different version of QT (not QTX), so i guess updated QT7 is also coming.

kovacm

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2009

as Jerome Morrow already said: "that doesn't work anymore" !

so, how you people: jeanlain, CyBeRino... install QuickTime 7 in Lion ????

kovacm

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2009
Should be in /Library/Updates at least until next reboot.

Edit: funny, but it worked with your qtl file (didn't with mine). Thanks.

Thanx Cougarcat !! your file initiate QT 7 download !! :)

btw
I have some .qtz files on hard disc but new QuickTimeX 10.1 open it without problem now!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.