PDA

View Full Version : Screen Flickering on iMac G3 DV after upgrade to Mac OS X

Coolmatt49
Jun 19, 2011, 12:06 AM
Hey everyone! I recently purchased an old iMac G3 DV (500 Mhz PowerPC G3, 128 MB RAM, etc.) at a yard sale and it had OS 9 (9.2.2) installed on it. Everything so far has been working perfectly with the unit (even looked near new). I went ahead and found a copy of Mac OS X "Puma" (10.1) to put on it. After the upgrade process, I booted into OS X and almost everything worked fine. The thing that didn't work out was the screen, which for some reason flickers whenever the hard drive is being accessed. It looks as though it is receiving interference from the hard drive itself for whatever reason. I thought something went bad with the screen during the upgrade process so I booted back into OS 9 to see if the problem was still there. However, the screen ran perfectly with none of the flickering.

Within OS X, I tried changing the settings on the monitor from 1024x768 to 800x600 (which also changed the refresh rate) and that didn't help to solve the problem. I'm stumped as to why this would happen. Is this a problem that 10.1 had? If I tried upgrading to a later version of OS X, will it fix the problem? Any help is appreciated, thanks!

adcx64
Jun 19, 2011, 12:29 AM
It's most likely interference with the cables. My eMac does this when the volume is up.

tom vilsack
Jun 19, 2011, 02:27 AM
as it's not doing this on os 9 but is on osx...im guessing more software related...i would try adding more ram and installing tiger (needs min 256...and can take 1 gig)

this guide shows how to take apart a tray model imac G3 (i used to have one and replacing harddrive and adding ram not to bad)....
http://www.ifixit.com/Device/iMac_G3_Model_M4984

ps: tiger will run better then puma or panther

stroked
Jun 19, 2011, 02:43 AM
as it's not doing this on os 9 but is on osx...im guessing more software related...i would try adding more ram and installing tiger (needs min 256...and can take 1 gig)

this guide shows how to take apart a tray model imac G3 (i used to have one and replacing harddrive and adding ram not to bad)....
http://www.ifixit.com/Device/iMac_G3_Model_M4984

ps: tiger will run better then puma or panther

Before you can install Tiger on a G3, you have to update the firmware, while booted in OS9.