PDA

View Full Version : iPad 2 full case.....

Ifti
Jun 19, 2011, 04:29 AM
Well my iPad 2 has finally been dispatched! Hence I'm on the search for a case now.
I have considered a smart cover with a Belkin rear snap case, but I'm not too happy with the configuration. I would probably prefer a full case, similar to the ipad1 case, but with the smart cover abilities built in. Obviously the thinner and lighter the better.
Does anyone have anything like this that they can recommend or comment on?

lucyna
Jun 19, 2011, 04:58 AM
I the case you are looking for was talked here, http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1147287

BlindMellon
Jun 19, 2011, 06:18 AM
A full case, like the original for the iPad 1, will add bulk because of the extra layer of material (and ruin the aesthetic of the iPad), but that's personal preference. I started with the Maroo case and it's fantastic, but a bit thick for my use. I settled on the STM Skinny and I love it.

Depends how you carry it though. I put it in my regular bag when going to/from work, so I don't have to worry about dropping it on the sidewalk or anything. If you carry only the ipad, I'd go with the Maroo case.

Ifti
Jun 19, 2011, 07:33 AM
To be honest my first iPad never really left the house!

Ifti
Jun 19, 2011, 10:56 AM
lol, performed a complete U turn and ended up buying these when out earlier on....

http://newsodrome.com/mobile_news/belkin-snap-shield-ipad-2-case-26116082.jpg

http://www.gearzap.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/p/ipad-two-smart-cover-red-2_2.jpg

Just waiting for the iPad2 to arrive now!

dagored
Jun 19, 2011, 11:43 AM
And that nice clear back is?

Name or link please!!

Mr.C
Jun 19, 2011, 11:56 AM
To be honest my first iPad never really left the house!

That defeats the purpose of having an iPad. I take my iPad to work every day. Even on my days off if I go out I usually take it with me.

Ifti
Jun 19, 2011, 12:11 PM
And that nice clear back is?

Name or link please!!

Its the Belkin Snap Shield for iPad 2.
Mine isnt completely clear - its slightly frosted, which is how I wanted it. You can get a completely clear version as well.
I think there are reviews up on Youtube etc if interested. Cant say how good it fits yet as Ive not received my iPad2, but all the reviews are pretty good, and its nice and thin ;)

That defeats the purpose of having an iPad. I take my iPad to work every day. Even on my days off if I go out I usually take it with me.

Why does it defeat the purpose?? Everyone has different uses. Some may use it for business - I dont. I use it around the house rather then having my MacBook on my lap in front of the TV I'll use my iPad to browse the net, check my email, etc, and its great for the kids with all the educational apps etc. I'd rather hand them an iPad rather then my MacBook Pro!

As I said, it depends on your particular usage. Just because someone uses it differently to the next person, that doesnt mean its not being used as it should.

Mr.C
Jun 19, 2011, 12:54 PM
Mine isnt completely clear - its slightly frosted, which is how I wanted it. You can get a completely clear version as well.
I think there are reviews up on Youtube etc if interested. Cant say how good it fits yet as Ive not received my iPad2, but all the reviews are pretty good, and its nice and thin ;)

Why does it defeat the purpose?? Everyone has different uses. Some may use it for business - I dont. I use it around the house rather then having my MacBook on my lap in front of the TV I'll use my iPad to browse the net, check my email, etc, and its great for the kids with all the educational apps etc. I'd rather hand them an iPad rather then my MacBook Pro!

As I said, it depends on your particular usage. Just because someone uses it differently to the next person, that doesnt mean its not being used as it should.

It does defeat the purpose. The iPad is designed to be a portable device that you can take anywhere and everywhere. If you're just going to use it at home you might as well use a laptop.

Ifti
Jun 19, 2011, 02:20 PM
It does defeat the purpose. The iPad is designed to be a portable device that you can take anywhere and everywhere. If you're just going to use it at home you might as well use a laptop.

A laptop is a portable device.
A desktop is designed to be used at home.

If a laptop is portable, and designed to be moved around, taken to work and back, and so on, then does it 'defeat the purpose' of having one if its used in the home only?? I know a very large number of people who would beg to differ, and use their laptops at home only - just because its more convenient, and its down to HOW its used.

The same with the iPad. Young kids find it easy to pick up and play games on over a laptop - my main reason for purchase. Others will only use it at a certain location. Just because its not carried around it doesnt mean its not being fully utilised. It all depends on your own individual needs.

In your case maybe Apple should market it as being an out and about device only, and state its not suitable for home use only then??
Every device on sale today, be it a laptop, desktop, phone, whatever it is, is purchased by people to fill a particular need. As long as it does what you need it to do, then I dont see how it defeats the purpose of having one.

Maybe everyone should start to use their equipment exactly as you use your then? Since if they dont, they arent using it the right way?!
Oh and let me know how you hold your iPad as well - I want to make sure I'm holding it like Im supposed to?

As I said, as long as something you purchase fits your own personal requirements, then its doing what was intended.

Blorzoga
Jun 19, 2011, 07:29 PM

Wrong. The iPad was designed to be used however one wants. I never take mine out of the house but use it all the time. If I need Internet while on the go I use my iPhone. I don't need to activate 3G on my iPad. I'll save that for road trips. I have a desktop at home but it rarely gets used by me. It's much easier to grab the iPad.

h00ligan
Jun 20, 2011, 03:41 AM
Whyis this forum filled with so many people who want to tell others HOW to use their devices..or assume the way they do is the only way it can be done..

It's getting ridiculous.

BlindMellon
Jun 20, 2011, 08:20 AM
OP, enjoy your case. If you're like the rest of us, it won't be your last case. ;)

Ifti
Jun 21, 2011, 04:05 PM
Cheers. I did make a video of the actual case on the iPad and how it fits etc, but a mod removed it as it's seen as promoting etc, which is fair enough I guess. Just thought it may be useful for others who were looking for a case etc.

Mr.C
Jun 21, 2011, 04:24 PM
Wrong. The iPad was designed to be used however one wants. I never take mine out of the house but use it all the time. If I need Internet while on the go I use my iPhone. I don't need to activate 3G on my iPad. I'll save that for road trips. I have a desktop at home but it rarely gets used by me. It's much easier to grab the iPad.

I think we are all entitled to our opinions. In my opinion the iPad is a mobile device and like a laptop is designed for on the go use. Using it just at home does defeat the purpose of having one. Anyone who uses it just at home is not using it the way Apple intended it to be used. It's not a question of whose right or wrong.

waylay00
Jun 24, 2011, 01:09 AM
It actually seems as if you're the one missing the "purpose" of the iPad, if there is a specific one. Keeping the iPad at home is not the same as having a laptop. When I want to go read on the porch, or do light browsing while sitting in bed, or show a family member in another room a webpage, why would I bring my laptop when I could simply take my iPad? It weighs less, produces less heat, and is much more conducive to a pleasurable reading experience. That's more than enough reason for having an iPad, even if it's only to be used at home.

3goldens
Jun 24, 2011, 09:39 AM

Geez, we haven't ever discussed the Belkin shell on this forums before, thanks for bringing it to our attention!

Blorzoga
Jun 24, 2011, 10:55 AM
I think we are all entitled to our opinions. In my opinion the iPad is a mobile device and like a laptop is designed for on the go use. Using it just at home does defeat the purpose of having one. Anyone who uses it just at home is not using it the way Apple intended it to be used. It's not a question of whose right or wrong.

Could you please direct me to the section of Apple's website entitled "Intended Uses of the iPad"? Or did the designers contact you directly with their list of intended uses of the iPad?

Smoothie
Jun 26, 2011, 01:15 PM

I have one, and the corners are cracking even though I've never taken it off the iPad. There's another thread with people having the same problem.

Mr.C
Jun 26, 2011, 02:46 PM
Could you please direct me to the section of Apple's website entitled "Intended Uses of the iPad"? Or did the designers contact you directly with their list of intended uses of the iPad?

The main premise behind a device like the iPad is portability just like a laptop. And the main idea behind that is to be able to take it anywhere and everywhere. Like you and everyone else I'm just giving my opinion and not telling anyone how they should use their iPad so there is no need for you or anyone else to get so uptight about my posts.

Of course there is no where written in stone what the intended use is but I stand by my statement that just using it at home defeats the purpose. If you or anyone else doesn't agree with me so be it but I am entitled to my opinion just like everyone else.

glen e
Jun 26, 2011, 03:17 PM

wrong...a ipad on the couch is much nicer to surf/read than with a laptop....two complete diff applications...an ipad around the the house for CONSUMING content is perfect...

most people that pronounce here what is right and wrong have never used the instrument/device they seem to diss....

ipads are for consuming content, laptops for creating content.....that simple

Mr.C
Jun 26, 2011, 03:40 PM
wrong...a ipad on the couch is much nicer to surf/read than with a laptop....two complete diff applications...an ipad around the the house for CONSUMING content is perfect...

most people that pronounce here what is right and wrong have never used the instrument/device they seem to diss....

ipads are for consuming content, laptops for creating content.....that simple

Wrong. Laptops are portable devices which can be used at home are primarily designed to be used away from home. The same applies to iPads. It seems like some people here including you think yours is the only opinion that counts and others are not entitled to hold a different one.

Smoothie
Jun 26, 2011, 04:41 PM
Geez, we haven't ever discussed the Belkin shell on this forums before, thanks for bringing it to our attention!

Long thread here:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1143564