PDA

View Full Version : Best Buy to Match Back to School Promo with $100 Store Gift Card

MacRumors
Jun 19, 2011, 10:20 AM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/19/best-buy-to-match-back-to-school-promo-with-100-store-gift-card/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/06/bestbuy.jpg

Readers who are disappointed (http://www.front.macrumors.com/2011/06/16/apple-launches-2011-back-to-school-promotion/) with Apple's new Back to School promotion may be interested to hear that electronics retailer Best Buy (http://www.bestbuy.com/) is offering to match Apple's promotion with their own.

Apple recently launched their 2011 Back to School promotion. Instead of the typical iPod giveaway, Apple is now offering a $100 iTunes/App Store gift card instead. We've been told that Best Buy will be matching this promotion with a $100 Best Buy gift card for the same qualifying customers. This is an unadvertised promotion, so customers will have to ask for it specifically.

Apple's Back to School promotion is open to college students, students accepted to college, parents of college students or faculty/staff at any grade level. Qualifying computers include the MacBook, MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, iMac, and Mac Pro.

Article Link: Best Buy to Match Back to School Promo with $100 Store Gift Card (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/19/best-buy-to-match-back-to-school-promo-with-100-store-gift-card/)

Apple Expert
Jun 19, 2011, 10:25 AM
Hopefully amazon is next.

campingsk8er
Jun 19, 2011, 10:26 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_7 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E303 Safari/6533.18.5)

I think I'd rather have the apple gift card

deadlystriker
Jun 19, 2011, 10:27 AM
Glad I got the 2011 MBPs with the BTS free iPod touch earlier this year
(from AU).

Simplicated
Jun 19, 2011, 10:28 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_7 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E303 Safari/6533.18.5)

I think I'd rather get the Best Buy one so I can buy some substantial stuff.

mattwolfmatt
Jun 19, 2011, 10:29 AM

You can use the Best buy gift card to buy the apple card. Also, if you're a reward zone member, you get 3-5% back of your purchase back, I think.

All else being equal, the Best Buy one is a better deal.

ten-oak-druid
Jun 19, 2011, 10:30 AM
Do you get an educational discount on a computer at Best Buy though?

The Apple store on-line or on campus gives $100 or more off the computer plus the $100 for buying apps or media (music, books or movies).

The benefit of the Best buy card is you can get DVD or CD and rip it instead of just the download.

darknite38
Jun 19, 2011, 10:31 AM
You can use the Best buy gift card to buy the apple card. Also, if you're a reward zone member, you get 3-5% back of your purchase back, I think.

All else being equal, the Best Buy one is a better deal.

You can't use gift cards to buy gift cards.

xdbuix
Jun 19, 2011, 10:34 AM

that's wrong. I've done it so many times.

NinjaHERO
Jun 19, 2011, 10:43 AM
That's pretty cool. What a great way to steal some business from the Apple stores. Nice move.

xdbuix
Jun 19, 2011, 10:44 AM

btw the apple gift card is good for " Mac App Store, the App Store, the iTunes Store, and the iBookstore," which isnt as good as the best buy because it doesn't say you can buy at the apple store itself. My guess is they're tryign to push for online purchases esp with Lion coming up.

bigp9998
Jun 19, 2011, 10:44 AM
Agree that the big question here is whether or not they will match the EDU price of Apple as well. The MacBook Airs have traditionally only gotten $50 off for education, so even if BB doesn't match them, it would still be a better deal for me. I'm also really hoping now that the new 13" Air comes with 4GB RAM standard, since you can't upgrade through BB, from what I understand.

ratzzo
Jun 19, 2011, 10:48 AM
Agree that the big question here is whether or not they will match the EDU price of Apple as well. The MacBook Airs have traditionally only gotten $50 off for education, so even if BB doesn't match them, it would still be a better deal for me.

When I purchased my MBP from Best Buy I asked if they had edu pricing and they said they didn't.. mm :(

Primejimbo
Jun 19, 2011, 10:48 AM

that's wrong. I've done it so many times.

Same here, then I get to go to the store I want. My favorite one was a Jewel gift card and got a Best Buy one form Jewel and got a Blu Ray player with it, I don't shop at Jewel, too expensive for my taste.

DTphonehome
Jun 19, 2011, 10:49 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

So it's not open to parents of grade school children? I thought that it was. Kids are using computers at younger and younger ages now for school work.

robertcoogan
Jun 19, 2011, 10:50 AM
Wow. Of course the Best Buy card will come pre-installed with a "protection" software package provided by the Geek Squad. And when you go to get one, they won't have any in stock and will offer to sell you an upgraded card for a little extra. You will ask that the card not have the extra software installed on it, and they will at first say that they can't uninstall it, then a manager will come out and say that he or she will take care of it. You'll wait 45 min to an hour and a half (your boss will be pissed, of course), but you'll eventually walk away with your upgraded card which will of course not work when you get home.

Thanks, Best Buy!

ratzzo
Jun 19, 2011, 10:55 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

So it's not open to parents of grade school children? I thought that it was. Kids are using computers at younger and younger ages now for school work.

I guess you could just have your children buy it for you ;)

wordoflife
Jun 19, 2011, 10:56 AM
I'd definitely go with the Best Buy one given the option.

arcite
Jun 19, 2011, 10:57 AM
Here cometh the coupon arms race!

redshovel
Jun 19, 2011, 11:02 AM
Yes very good but do you get the 14% off the purchase price of a MBP at Best Buy too?

randomrazr
Jun 19, 2011, 11:05 AM
best buy card is the better deal. with 100$, u can buy more than just crap off the mac app store like a sleeve for ur macbook or put it towards apple care. actually, get best buy to match the education discount on apple care which i think knocks 100 off it, than use the best buy 100 card on it too, so u get apple care cheap for macbook pro XD

wordoflife
Jun 19, 2011, 11:05 AM
Yes very good but do you get the 14% off the purchase price of a MBP at Best Buy too?

Wait a second! Good point.
Is BestBuy knocking the price of the computer down and providing this card -or- just giving the card with standard prices?

Wayfarer
Jun 19, 2011, 11:06 AM
I love Best Buy but no education discount = no sale.

Win, epic fail sauce or stalemate? You decide.

http://macstack.net/images/smilies/lol.gif

Macmaniac
Jun 19, 2011, 11:13 AM
Unless Best Buy is matching the $100 off the MBP for edu pricing then going with BB would be a silly idea. While some may not like the $100 iTunes card at least ur getting $100 off the computer as well. Oh and don't forget $66 off AppleCare on the 13 and $110 off AppleCare on the 15 when u buy through Apple! Oh and the $99 printer rebate as well, so check first or you could miss out on $300 worth of discounts and offers through Apple.

x-kid
Jun 19, 2011, 11:17 AM
i always use best buy gift cards to purchase amazon gift cards.

natharvey
Jun 19, 2011, 11:19 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

do they match pricing, the $100 off educational discount?

sorry for the post, I didn't see there were 5 Pgs from my iPhone. I think if Best Buy will price match it'll make it a great deal

cburton
Jun 19, 2011, 11:23 AM
Thought it was a good deal at first but without BB matching the Edu pricing you gain nothing by buying there.

strabes
Jun 19, 2011, 11:27 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8J2)

You can't get both?

JoeDMD
Jun 19, 2011, 11:28 AM
Online reseller (no tax) < Apple + tax - education discount.

darknite38
Jun 19, 2011, 11:43 AM

Did somebody forget to switch the direction >?

neuropsychguy
Jun 19, 2011, 11:49 AM
Did somebody forget to switch the direction >?

No, it's a math equation. < means less expensive.

matt...
Jun 19, 2011, 11:50 AM
Hey guys, Ive been following this site since the beginning of the year. First for the mbp, but decided to hold off on that when I heard the new air would be coming out. At first I was happy to hear the best buy promo, but I'm hoping one of the baseline 13" airs is what I want or else I will have to BTO from apple. If the base 13" has 4gb ram and backlit keyboard (not sure it will be included, but if it is I'm hoping for it to be non-bto). Processor and hard drive I don't care about, the 1.86/128 now is fine for my needs and apple won't lower that.

Back on topic, I would much prefer $100 for best buy over $100 in apps.

mpb2000
Jun 19, 2011, 11:50 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Best buy charges tax if you buy it online and since it is an unadvertised deal, who knows if you could even get it online.

Does anyone know if best buy ever matches apple's education pricing? If not, even though the apple gift card is disappointing, that's still a better deal.

milbournosphere
Jun 19, 2011, 11:54 AM
I'd rather have the best buy card. Miles more useful than the app store card would ever be. I could put it towards an iPod, buy a camera with it, or, as many others have said, buy giftcards towards other marketplaces like amazon, or even Apple's market. This is a WAY better deal.

csjo00
Jun 19, 2011, 12:00 PM
When I purchased my MBP last year, I got the $100 off, and the free iPod touch. My brother, who has a little say in the day-to-day operations of this store, said I was the last one to get that.

I had to raise a little Cain to get it, but I sure did.

cloroxbleach4
Jun 19, 2011, 12:00 PM
Would much rather have 100 at best buy than at the app store.

maclaptop
Jun 19, 2011, 12:01 PM

Your choice is far wiser than choosing the restricted, strings attached, limited use Apple Card.

Thanks to Best Buy, when they include a $100 gift card, they are open & honest. You may actually spend the full $100 on anything in the store. Apple chose a very good company to work with. In fact Apple, if not for their self absorbed, know it all attitude, could learn a few things from Best Buy.

Oh sure, I can hear the fanboys moan & bad mouth Best Buy since any store without an Apple logo is inferior as compared to their much vaunted Apple.

nunes013
Jun 19, 2011, 12:01 PM

The Apple store on-line or on campus gives $100 or more off the computer plus the $100 for buying apps or media (music, books or movies).

The benefit of the Best buy card is you can get DVD or CD and rip it instead of just the download.

i dont think you get an education discount. and i also dont think you get a $100 towards a printer. so between the $100 for a printer and $100-200 for a computer apples is still better but limits you when it comes to the giftcard. now if bestbuy added a printer and education discount we would be talking. that would bring back some of their loses and compete with apple at the same time.

iNeedToDoHw
Jun 19, 2011, 12:02 PM
So can some one clarify? no EDU pricing on best buy?

FroMann
Jun 19, 2011, 12:04 PM
Sounds like a better deal to me.

mccldwll
Jun 19, 2011, 12:04 PM
I'd rather have the best buy card. Miles more useful than the app store card would ever be. I could put it towards an iPod, buy a camera with it, or, as many others have said, buy giftcards towards other marketplaces like amazon, or even Apple's market. This is a WAY better deal.

No, it's not, unless BB also matches edu pricing AND matches aapl's printer offer.

xxBURT0Nxx
Jun 19, 2011, 12:05 PM
I'm sure everyone would prefer a $100 Best Buy gift card to the $100 App Store Gift Card, since you can buy far more things at best buy.

However, with no educational pricing, and no free printer, it's actually a worse deal than what Apple is offering. Just with your edu pricing discounts, you could buy the $100 best buy gift card (even more than $100 with some models) and you would still have a free printer and a $100 mac app store gift card.

If best buy would at least match the edu pricing, this would be a far more appealing deal, since in my experience most people don't particularly care for a mail in rebate printer or already have a printer at home.

Mr. Gates
Jun 19, 2011, 12:06 PM
Normally I would shy away from Best Buy but in this circumstance they are clearly the better choice.

xxBURT0Nxx
Jun 19, 2011, 12:07 PM
Normally I would shy away from Best Buy but in this circumstance they are clearly the better choice.

how do you figure.... $100 education discount buys your best buy gift card and you still get apples gift card and the free printer if you buy through them. Best buy needs to match edu pricing for this to be appealing.

mccldwll
Jun 19, 2011, 12:08 PM
Your choice is far wiser than choosing the restricted, strings attached, limited use Apple Card.

Thanks to Best Buy, when they include a $100 gift card, they are open & honest. You may actually spend the full $100 on anything in the store. Apple chose a very good company to work with. In fact Apple, if not for their self absorbed, know it all attitude, could learn a few things from Best Buy.

Oh sure, I can hear the fanboys moan & bad mouth Best Buy since any store without an Apple logo is inferior as compared to their much vaunted Apple.

A complete pile of maclaptrap, by someone who apparently doesn't understand the comparative offers fully and/or isn't good at basic math (but what can you expect of someone who works at Best Boy).

Macopotamus
Jun 19, 2011, 12:25 PM
I'd definitely go with the Best Buy one given the option.

You would pay $100 more for your computer just so you can get a $100 gift card to Best Buy rather than take the discount + iTunes credit?

Icaras
Jun 19, 2011, 12:27 PM

Substantial stuff? What?

JoeDMD
Jun 19, 2011, 12:33 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Best buy charges tax if you buy it online and since it is an unadvertised deal, who knows if you could even get it online.

Does anyone know if best buy ever matches apple's education pricing? If not, even though the apple gift card is disappointing, that's still a better deal.

But MacMall, PowerMax, etc. don't charge tax.
*edit* - depending on where you live, there may be tax.
If you go through them, you will pay over $100 less (depending on what model you buy) than if you buy at Best Buy (no education discount), so the $100 gift card isn't worth it if you are paying tax. Becuase Apple does give you an education discount + the $100 gift card, for some models it is worth getting from Apple. You also get the free printer from MacMall if that interests you.

garylapointe
Jun 19, 2011, 12:34 PM
As far as I can see, BB is only offering the $100 gift card.

Apple offers:
$100 off most Macs (I think only $49 on small MacBook Air and the Mini?).
$100 off card (iOS apps, MacApps and iBooks). Eventually I'd use this $100 (possibly $29 for Lion next month, but then that'd be a good reason to wait).
$100 off a printer. They have $100 printers (this is a rebate) or apply it towards a more expensive one.

Plus you save on a few other items at Apple at time of purchase, about 10% I think:
iWork $71 instead of $79.
The extended warranty is about $60 less also (30% off).

And I'm sure a few other things I can't think of.

So unless Best Buy is having a sale, you save $100, right off the bat on Most Macs. Unless you're getting the Mini or the smaller Air and NEVER going to buy any apps for your iOS or Mac is the only way Best Buy is better (maybe if you live in a state with no Best Buy so that there isn't any sales tax?).

Gary

Gary

neuropsychguy
Jun 19, 2011, 12:35 PM
I'm sure everyone would prefer a $100 Best Buy gift card to the $100 App Store Gift Card, since you can buy far more things at best buy.

I tend to not purchase things in Best Buy because they are usually overpriced. For me, $100 in the App/iTunes Store is much better than $100 at Best Buy (although I could use the Best Buy card to purchase an iTunes gift card, so it'd work out).

Anyway, your post was good. Buying online from Apple is still a much better deal. As numerous people have said: $100 printer from Apple + education pricing + $100 App Store card + 5% cashback (from Discover) is much better than Best Buy's deal.

JoeDMD
Jun 19, 2011, 12:43 PM
(possibly $29 for Lion next month, but then that'd be a good reason to wait).

Pretty sure Lion is free if you buy a Mac now.

arn
Jun 19, 2011, 12:43 PM
I love Best Buy but no education discount = no sale.

Win, epic fail sauce or stalemate? You decide.

Image (http://macstack.net/images/smilies/lol.gif)

Unless Best Buy is matching the $100 off the MBP for edu pricing then going with BB would be a silly idea. While some may not like the $100 iTunes card at least ur getting $100 off the computer as well. Oh and don't forget $66 off AppleCare on the 13 and $110 off AppleCare on the 15 when u buy through Apple! Oh and the $99 printer rebate as well, so check first or you could miss out on $300 worth of discounts and offers through Apple.

There's been mixed reports about it, but people have been able to get edu pricing from Best Buy. If you're on the fence, best to ask your local one I suppose.

arn

xxBURT0Nxx
Jun 19, 2011, 12:45 PM
I tend to not purchase things in Best Buy because they are usually overpriced. For me, $100 in the App/iTunes Store is much better than $100 at Best Buy (although I could use the Best Buy card to purchase an iTunes gift card, so it'd work out).

Anyway, your post was good. Buying online from Apple is still a much better deal. As numerous people have said: $100 printer from Apple + education pricing + $100 App Store card + 5% cashback (from Discover) is much better than Best Buy's deal.

Yeah, for sure. Most people I'm sure would prefer the BB card since they offer so many more things, but you have to take the total cost into account. You could still buy a $100 BB card after getting your mac from apple, and get apples b2s benefits as well.

Also, a lot of people complain about $100 app store card, but since it just adds the balance to your iTunes account, you could use that money in iTunes to buy music or movies or tv shows, the iBookstore, Mac App Store, and App Store... I'm sure everyone could easily use the $100 to buy content that they would enjoy, but it seems most people still pirate apps/media and that's why an iTunes gift card doesn't seem all that appealing.

plben
Jun 19, 2011, 12:52 PM
Any information concerning the validity of this deal in Canada?

Apple Store still seems more valuable to me though.. And it is.

TSE
Jun 19, 2011, 12:52 PM
Dunno if this has been mentioned in the thread, but will Best Buy give you education pricing? So $100 off an iMac?

xxBURT0Nxx
Jun 19, 2011, 12:54 PM
Dunno if this has been mentioned in the thread, but will Best Buy give you education pricing? So $100 off an iMac?

seems that it depends on the best buy and if they want to "price match"

everyone's milage will vary, best bet is to ask your local Best Buys.

tigress666
Jun 19, 2011, 12:57 PM

Best Buy open and honest?! *cough*cough*cough.*

No, I don't say this as a pro Apple person. I say this as a Best Buy pissed me off 9 years ago enough that I still won't give them a dime of my money. And it is mainly over lieing their asses off to me and thinking I was stupid enough to believe them (amongst other things, that was just what made me decide to outright boycott them).

Never had good service with them and they treat their customers like crap once you've given them your money (actually, never really had them treat me that well before I gave them my money either but before the lieing to me thing I would buy stuff if it was a good deal so would look over the crappy service).

I'd shop at Walmart way before I ever shopped at Best Buy (and honestly I see Walmart as more open and honest than Best Buy). I personally like Fry's myself for electronic stores (They have an Apple section too).

And you don't get the discount off the computer at Best Buy, just that gift card. Personally I'd rather have the cheaper computer than the best buy gift certificate even if I couldn't use the itunes gift card. I can use that savings wherever, not just on whatever Best Buy sells. Then I can use the apple gift card for software for my mac.

Oh, and pray tell, how was Apple ever dishonest about this promotion that you're now accusing them of being lieing scumbags that Best Buy looks like angels compared to them?

maclaptop
Jun 19, 2011, 12:58 PM
A complete pile of maclaptrap, by someone who apparently doesn't understand the comparative offers fully and/or isn't good at basic math (but what can you expect of someone who works at Best Boy).
1) Just sharing some facts. Best Buy does give the education discount. Basic math reveals it's the better deal.

2) If your sales person denies it, it's just like the Apple Store, not everyone is perfectly trained. Ask the manager and you'll get it.

3) Your imagination is quite Vivid, assuming I work at Best Buy is your failure.

I'll ignore your emotional outburst of name calling :)

xxBURT0Nxx
Jun 19, 2011, 01:00 PM
1) Just sharing some facts. Best Buy does give the education discount. Basic math reveals it's the better deal.

Even if Best Buy offers the education discount, there is no free printer, and no software discounts, and no discount on Apple Care.

Basic math reveals that it is, in fact, NOT the better deal. (unless you would prefer $100 to best buy and nothing else I suppose)

brandnewfunk
Jun 19, 2011, 01:00 PM

The two matchings aren't mutually exclusive.

The last time I went to BB (earlier this year), the associate told me that if you show your college ID, they would match the .edu price. As for the gift card match: Companies in the business of matching won't half-@$s match if they want your money--as they wouldn't be MATCHING. haha. In other words, if you can get the MBP for $1099 online PLUS $100 Mac Gift Card on Apple.com, it's in their best interest that they give you the MBP for $1099 w/ a $100 BB Gift Card. (Don't tell them you prefer the BB Gift Card to the Mac GC, you might lose the upper hand, "genius"!)

xxBURT0Nxx
Jun 19, 2011, 01:05 PM
The two matchings aren't mutually exclusive.

The last time I went to BB (earlier this year), the associate told me that if you show your college ID, they would match the .edu price. As for the gift card match: Companies in the business of matching won't half-@$s match if they want your money--as they wouldn't be MATCHING. haha. In other words, if you can get the MBP for $1099 online PLUS $100 Mac Gift Card on Apple.com, it's in their best interest that they give you the MBP for $1099 w/ a $100 BB Gift Card. (Don't tell them you prefer the BB Gift Card to the Mac GC, you might lose the upper hand, "genius"!)

Wrong, how do you know how much best buy or some other companies pays for a particular product. If BB is paying say, $1150 for the base 13", it's not really in their best interest to sell it to you for less unless they can make up the loss by selling you some accessories or services for your purchase.

There are times when retailers will not match prices, particularily if they can't match that deal and still get a profit off of the product, or if you are trying to match with an online retailer since they usually offer much lower prices than brick and mortar stores. (of course, it always depends on the situation, product, and people involved, but companies certainly HALF-ASS price matching... ask many people, like those who have had to argue microcenter pricing and didn't get it.)

DCJ001
Jun 19, 2011, 01:14 PM
Pretty sure Lion is free if you buy a Mac now.

"Pretty sure" ???
The Mac OS X Lion Up-To-Date upgrade is available at no additional charge via the Mac App Store to all customers who purchased a qualifying new Mac system from Apple or an Apple Authorized Reseller on or after June 6, 2011. Users must request their Up-To-Date upgrade within 30 days of purchase of their Mac computer. Customers who purchase a qualifying Mac between June 6, 2011 and the date when Lion is available in the Mac App Store will have 30 days from Lion’s official release date to make a request.

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2011/06/06lion.html

*** Important ***

Best Buy is not an authorized Apple reseller for Macs.

Keep this in mind if you're expecting to be able to get Mac OS X 10.7 Lion for free. If you buy a Mac from Best Buy before 10.7 is pre-installed by Apple, you will not qualify for the free upgrade to 10.7.

Helghast
Jun 19, 2011, 01:14 PM
If I had the money to get my macbook pro right now i would just get the apple gift card since through apple you get the edu discount. I am saving my money for a macbook pro and won't quite make it for this back to school offer, or probably even this generation, so I guess I have to deal with my PC for my first year of college.:(

brandnewfunk
Jun 19, 2011, 01:15 PM
Wrong, how do you know how much best buy or some other companies pays for a particular product. If BB is paying say, $1150 for the base 13", it's not really in their best interest to sell it to you for less unless they can make up the loss by selling you some accessories or services for your purchase.

There are times when retailers will not match prices, particularily if they can't match that deal and still get a profit off of the product, or if you are trying to match with an online retailer since they usually offer much lower prices than brick and mortar stores. (of course, it always depends on the situation, product, and people involved, but companies certainly HALF-ASS price matching... ask many people, like those who have had to argue microcenter pricing and didn't get it.)

Don't say, Wrong! Of course, companies WILL half-ass "match." I said they won't IF THEY WANT YOUR MONEY. Put another way, if they want the money of a well-informed customer who knows his/her options, THEY WILL full-@s$ price match!! If they don't, they don't get your money and you go home!

xxBURT0Nxx
Jun 19, 2011, 01:18 PM
Don't say, Wrong! Of course, companies WILL half-ass "match." I said they won't IF THEY WANT YOUR MONEY. Put another way, if they want the money of a well-informed customer who knows his/her options, THEY WILL full-@s$ price match!! If they don't, they don't get your money and you go home!

Why would they want your money if it's costing them money? That's the point....

Companies typically won't price match to the point that it is costing them money unless they are using that product as a loss-leader to get you to buy other products, accessories, or services, like I said.

Cougarcat
Jun 19, 2011, 01:25 PM
Even if Best Buy offers the education discount, there is no free printer, and no software discounts, and no discount on Apple Care.

You can buy AppleCare separately from apple for the EDU price. Software discounts from Apple.com are a paltry 10% (which you could also buy separately.) It's usually better to go through your university bookstore. iWork at mine costs $39.

brandnewfunk
Jun 19, 2011, 01:25 PM
Why would they want your money if it's costing them money? That's the point....

Companies typically won't price match to the point that it is costing them money unless they are using that product as a loss-leader to get you to buy other products, accessories, or services, like I said.

First of all, who said it was costing them money on that one unit? You? Oh.. okay.

And even if they were losing money on that one unit--which they're likely not, but if they were on that one unit--they would still come out on top overall. Companies take small so-called hits all the time, but they always take those setbacks (which it's not that major to be considered really a setback) because the average customer does not come in demanding TWO price matches. Uhh, that's why the original MacRumors article states that BB WON'T BE ADVERTISING THAT THEY WILL MATCH APPLE! why............. UMMM, BECAUSE THEY WANT THESE INFORMED THRIFTY SHOPPERS TO BE IN THE MINORITY...... so they come out ON TOP overall.

mccldwll
Jun 19, 2011, 01:33 PM
"Pretty sure" ???

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2011/06/06lion.html

*** Important ***

Keep this in mind if you're expecting to be able to get Mac OS X 10.7 Lion for free. If you buy a Mac from Best Buy before 10.7 is pre-installed by Apple, you will not qualify for the free upgrade to 10.7.

BB is an Apple Authorized Reseller ( just to keep the info honest and accurate). In fact, my local BB has an aapl corporate guy (aapl, not BB, employee) stationed in the store.

Cougarcat
Jun 19, 2011, 01:33 PM

Pretty sure that they are. http://solutionprofessionals.apple.com/asc/

Boochu
Jun 19, 2011, 01:45 PM
My local bestbuy(Victoria,B.C.) only gave me the student discount. The person did not know about any "unadvertised promotion" and he went to his manager to ask and still no bestbuy giftcard. My 2 cents.

mccldwll
Jun 19, 2011, 01:47 PM

Speaking of "emotional outburst and name calling".

brandnewfunk
Jun 19, 2011, 01:49 PM
My local bestbuy(Victoria,B.C.) only gave me the student discount. The person did not know about any "unadvertised promotion" and he went to his manager to ask and still no bestbuy giftcard. My 2 cents.

Yeah, I understand. And don't mistake me, I never was arguing an absolute. I said if they wanted your money they would fully match. That's to say, you should not have bought it because you could have got the student discount online at Apple w/ free shipping AND $100 Mac gift card. So, you did yourself a disservice, as any gift card is better than no gift card.

londonhogfan
Jun 19, 2011, 01:52 PM

Does anyone have proof the special is actually real? I know this is "MacRumors" but would love to have this confirmed before heading in.

shanmugam
Jun 19, 2011, 01:52 PM
and then you can use the $100 to buy the iPod touch = $209-$100 = $109

ghsNick
Jun 19, 2011, 02:00 PM

Best Buy had a sale on the 1799 MBP and it came out to 1705.
Almost an EDU discount.

maclaptop
Jun 19, 2011, 02:03 PM
It was Jobs himself that made the deal with Best Buy, as Apples largest authorized reseller with over 1400 stores in the USA (Apple has 252).

They offer the same exact promotion with free printer, as Apple does, that's in their agreement with Apple. All Best Buy Stores have the same exact policies and procedures, as approved by Apple.

That said, many people feel better by spending more money in an Apple Store just for fun.

Whatever makes you feel good about yourself, it's only money.

TsMkLg068426
Jun 19, 2011, 02:20 PM

I concur with you, **** Best Buy would never take the risk of buying a Mac from them and I worked there before. I rather take that iTunes/iBook/App Store gift card from apple buy a bunch of **** with no worries.

charlituna
Jun 19, 2011, 02:20 PM
Eventually I'd use this $100 (possibly $29 for Lion next month, but then that'd be a good reason to wait).

Unnecessary. If you are buying your computer during the promo you qualify for the 'up to date' free upgrade to Lion. Which I am not sure is available for computers bought at other retailers, so I would check that before going to Best Buy etc

As for the folks claiming that Best Buy etc have to match all Apple store promos such as the printer as part of their contracts, no they don't. You can sometimes get your local store to match it if you make it clear to them that not matching means you will walk out to another store to make your purchase, but they are not company mandated to offer you that pricing as standard form.

DCJ001
Jun 19, 2011, 02:21 PM
BB is an Apple Authorized Reseller ( just to keep the info honest and accurate). In fact, my local BB has an aapl corporate guy (aapl, not BB, employee) stationed in the store.

Pretty sure that they are. http://solutionprofessionals.apple.com/asc/

I was looking at a different list which, now that I look further, is a list of Apple authorized catalog and internet resellers.

I just wanted to ensure that anyone jumping to Best Buy didn't miss out on 10.7.

brandnewfunk
Jun 19, 2011, 02:43 PM
Best Buy had a sale on the 1799 MBP and it came out to 1705.
Almost an EDU discount.

Yeah, I was gonna mention this earlier. Their (BB's) sale prices are close to EDU as is. For instance, the iMac price is $1159 right now. EDU is $1149. So with the BB sale price, that only leaves you with one promotion to battle for matching: the gift card.

Also, in my area, there are three BBs. I know which ones aren't stingy. haha. And which ones who have the understanding, in-store Apple reps. ;-) If folks don't cooperate, I'll just save my 1,000 bucks and take my ass home. Hell, my computer still works... I'll live

cfedu
Jun 19, 2011, 02:49 PM
At best buy you can use the GC for a free ATV. It all depends on what you need. $100 off itunes or apps or 100$ off hardware. Not a bad choice.

JamesGorman
Jun 19, 2011, 03:01 PM
I know Best Buy/ Future Shop(Canada) will match the EDU prices, you just have to "insist" they do it..Trust me, they wont let you walk.

silusesMac
Jun 19, 2011, 03:01 PM
I rather have the best buy card than the itunes gift card, since i can actually buy things i might want such as a case for my new computer, the itunes card would mostly be useless for me only except the mac app store part.

AmbiguousNinja
Jun 19, 2011, 03:08 PM
I just bought my Macbook Pro from best buy yesterday :( I don't want to return my macbook pro just to get the promotion but does anyone think that I can still get it if I go into the store?

mccldwll
Jun 19, 2011, 03:08 PM
It was Jobs himself that made the deal with Best Buy, as Apples largest authorized reseller with over 1400 stores in the USA (Apple has 252).

They offer the same exact promotion with free printer, as Apple does, that's in their agreement with Apple. All Best Buy Stores have the same exact policies and procedures, as approved by Apple.

That said, many people feel better by spending more money in an Apple Store just for fun.

Whatever makes you feel good about yourself, it's only money.

Sounds good. Too bad not true. Here's BB's printer promo linked to MacBooks:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=pcmcat214300050019&type=category

But whatever makes you feel good about yourself, it's only money.

eochs
Jun 19, 2011, 03:17 PM

I can confirm best buy is doing the gift card. I bought my 13" MBP on may 29th, and as reward zone premier silver have a 45 day return period. My wife is a college student. I went in this afternOon with my receipt, and they did a quick return and repurchase giving md the $100 BB gift card! They did say they aren't supposed to do the education price + the card, but the manager did it for me anyway. Now I have a nice new apple tv to go with my MBP and iPad 2 :). Btw, the reason they did both is because I had already bought at a lower price, and had I just returned the mbp and bought at the apple store to get both discounts, they would have had to sell my old mbp as open box

brandnewfunk
Jun 19, 2011, 03:21 PM
I just bought my Macbook Pro from best buy yesterday :( I don't want to return my macbook pro just to get the promotion but does anyone think that I can still get it if I go into the store?

Generally speaking, if it's their own promotion, you get 30 days after your purchase to receive any promotions/price for which you qualify. I would go in and see. If not the Apple promo, maybe they'll give you the $40/$60 printer thing. idk.

slffl
Jun 19, 2011, 03:32 PM
Apple deal is definitely better, especially since you get educational pricing. And for the ignorant, iTunes gift cards can be used for anything in the iTunes store, doesn't matter what it says on the card. It's basically money going into your iTunes account.

iMikeT
Jun 19, 2011, 03:49 PM
Looks like the whambulance came to the rescue of all the whiners.

When I ordered my iMac this week from Apple I got: BTO options, education discount on the iMac itself and on the BTO options (~$130 discount), $100 App Store gift card, and free printer (after rebate).

If I purchased from Best Buy: No BTO options, no education discount, no free printer, and only a $100 gift card that I can use only at Best Buy. Sure, I could use the BB gift card to buy another gift card but the lack of BTO options and no education discount is the deal breaker for me.

I'm still glad I ordered through Apple, with or without any bonuses.

Vudoo
Jun 19, 2011, 03:50 PM
If you are buying the standard configuration, then Best Buy is better than the Apple BTS deal.

Student Discount Pricing - I have bought a MacBook Pro from Best Buy where they price matched the student discount. If on associate says no, goto a manager or a different store. By the way, Best Buy had a sale last week that almost match the student discount price if you are not a student. I'm sure that they will have that sale again.

Tax - I have to pay tax if I buy it from Best Buy. You will have to pay tax if you buy it from Apple unless you live in a state that has no sales tax.

Free Printer - Best Buy currently offers promotions on discounts on printers so it's almost free. But how many people really need a printer? And technically Apple is offering you a rebate. You have to purchase the printer and pay sales tax on it so it's not really free.

AppleCare Discount - But it separately from Apple

Software Discount - Buy it separately from Apple

I am not a Best Buy employee, but I am a Silver Member and I shop there often because they will price match competitors so I get the price I want and my reward points. Best Buy doesn't install additional software on the Macs as well. I am just surprise that so many people don't do their research.

By the way, I've bought 2 MacBook Pros and one MacBook Air from Best Buy. I've gotten about $300 in reward certificates from Best Buy on those purchases. I've bought one BTO MacBook Pro through Apple and I only got a $100 App/iTunes card.

MarximusMG
Jun 19, 2011, 04:14 PM
Would take the Best Buy gift card in a heartbeat as opposed to the iTunes one.

londonhogfan
Jun 19, 2011, 04:23 PM
I can also confirm this is working. I purchased my iMac about 2 weeks ago... I took my receipt to the local store, the transaction was edited and they gave me a $100 best buy card.

surfergirl
Jun 19, 2011, 04:26 PM
I got the education discount when I purchased my MacBook Pro 13 inch at Best Buy last week ($1099) AND I got the $100 gift card today when I brought my receipt in today. :)

I think the Best Buy offer is more desirable, personally.

Yumunum
Jun 19, 2011, 04:45 PM
Apple:

-$50-$200 of the computer
-$100 rebate on printer
-$100 giftcard towards iTunes/iBookstore/Mac AppStore

Best Buy:

-$100 Best Buy giftcard
-???

Do we get anything else? Are there any other factors that should make me want to buy the computer at Best Buy?

neech7
Jun 19, 2011, 04:47 PM
Hopefully amazon is next.

Apple Store - 10% sales tax
Best Buy - 10% sales tax
Amazon - 10% sales tax

Either I go to an Apple Store in Oregon or it's MacMall on eBay for me. Price I pay for living in the same state as Amazon's headquarters.

Yumunum
Jun 19, 2011, 04:50 PM
Apple Store - 10% sales tax
Best Buy - 10% sales tax
Amazon - 10% sales tax

Either I go to an Apple Store in Oregon or it's MacMall on eBay for me. Price I pay for living in the same state as Amazon's headquarters.

Haha that's my same situation. I'm going to Oregon because the gas money will still be less than the sales tax. It's worth it if you save $$$

winston1236
Jun 19, 2011, 04:54 PM
Thats worse than apple's offer. what does 100 dollars at best buy get you like 1/4 of a printer?

doctor-don
Jun 19, 2011, 04:57 PM
Hey guys, Ive been following this site since the beginning of the year. First for the mbp, but decided to hold off on that when I heard the new air would be coming out. At first I was happy to hear the best buy promo, but I'm hoping one of the baseline 13" airs is what I want or else I will have to BTO from apple. If the base 13" has 4gb ram and backlit keyboard (not sure it will be included, but if it is I'm hoping for it to be non-bto). Processor and hard drive I don't care about, the 1.86/128 now is fine for my needs and apple won't lower that.

Back on topic, I would much prefer $100 for best buy over $100 in apps.

MacBook and MacBook Pro have $100 educational discount plus free delivery from Apple, MacBook Air is $50 off. The $100 gift card from Apple may not cover all the items one would like to purchase, but BB does not have the education discount.

If the base 13" has 4gb ram ... Check the Apple site for info on what is available on MBA. $100 more for the upgrade to 4GB RAM, $100 more for the upgrade to 1.6GHz processor

craighton
Jun 19, 2011, 04:59 PM
Is this only if you buy a Mac at BestBuy or what if I purchase from Apple's site?

wilymon
Jun 19, 2011, 05:03 PM
does this mean I could use the gift card towards Applecare? I need that more than an iPod or a bunch of Mac Store apps.

RMo
Jun 19, 2011, 05:11 PM
and then you can use the $100 to buy the iPod touch = $209-$100 = $109

Fail. It's not an Apple gift card, it's an iTunes and Mac App Store gift card. This is clear from the summary as well as many previous comments.

zinynano
Jun 19, 2011, 05:15 PM
Fail. It's not an Apple gift card, it's an iTunes and Mac App Store gift card. This is clear from the summary as well as many previous comments.

OP was obviously talking about the BB gift card, not the iTunes/Mac App Store card offered by Apple.

P.S. Fail?

Apple 26.2
Jun 19, 2011, 05:15 PM
For those who can't get the education discount, this is a good deal...

doctor-don
Jun 19, 2011, 05:18 PM
I got the education discount when I purchased my MacBook Pro 13 inch at Best Buy last week ($1099) AND I got the $100 gift card today when I brought my receipt in today. :)

I think the Best Buy offer is more desirable, personally.

You smiled at the salesperson?

Bestbuy.com has nothing related to an education discount for computers.

xxBURT0Nxx
Jun 19, 2011, 05:36 PM
First of all, who said it was costing them money on that one unit? You? Oh.. okay.

And even if they were losing money on that one unit--which they're likely not, but if they were on that one unit--they would still come out on top overall. Companies take small so-called hits all the time, but they always take those setbacks (which it's not that major to be considered really a setback) because the average customer does not come in demanding TWO price matches. Uhh, that's why the original MacRumors article states that BB WON'T BE ADVERTISING THAT THEY WILL MATCH APPLE! why............. UMMM, BECAUSE THEY WANT THESE INFORMED THRIFTY SHOPPERS TO BE IN THE MINORITY...... so they come out ON TOP overall.

And who said it wasn't costing them money...? You? Oh.. Okay! also, for the record, I never said it was costing them money, I used the word IF it costs them that much per unit, they would be less likely to price match. That was an EXAMPLE not a FACT, learn the difference. You even say they aren't advertising it so that the informed thrifty shoppers will be in the minority, pretty obvious that BB is "half assing" the Apple promo since it's a non advertised gift card, no printer, and no edu discount (at least also not an advertised edu discount).

And I already said 3 times that companies will sometimes price match or run huge sales when they think they will make money back in other ways (other products, services, accessories, etc.)... this is called a loss leader. Do you even read before posting... I never was arguing with you or saying that BB won't price match, I said that it was not true that companies won't "half ass" price matching.

malman89
Jun 19, 2011, 05:46 PM
You smiled at the salesperson?

Bestbuy.com has nothing related to an education discount for computers.

Sounds like you have to actually walk in a store (!!) to get the matching deals. Oh my, how dare one actually enter a store and interact with people!

BB offer sounds pretty legit. If I got the .edu price match, the printer promo included, and the $100 gift card, I'd sit on it to use it for a possibly refreshed iPod touch in the fall. I don't need junky software (iWork is crap, welcome to the rest of the world and use Open Office or MS Word, free or easily stolen), I need hardware.

xxBURT0Nxx
Jun 19, 2011, 05:48 PM
Sounds like you have to actually walk in a store (!!) to get the matching deals. Oh my, how dare one actually enter a store and interact with people!

BB offer sounds pretty legit. If I got the .edu price match, the printer promo included, and the $100 gift card, I'd sit on it to use it for a possibly refreshed iPod touch in the fall. I don't need junky software (iWork is crap, welcome to the rest of the world and use Open Office or MS Word, free or easily stolen), I need hardware.

welcome to the rest of the world and start paying for things :rolleyes:

emulator
Jun 19, 2011, 05:51 PM
i always use best buy gift cards to purchase amazon gift cards.
Same here, I try not to spend even a dime at BB. Plus tax kills every deal. :)

nunes013
Jun 19, 2011, 06:35 PM
If you are buying the standard configuration, then Best Buy is better than the Apple BTS deal.

Student Discount Pricing - I have bought a MacBook Pro from Best Buy where they price matched the student discount. If on associate says no, goto a manager or a different store. By the way, Best Buy had a sale last week that almost match the student discount price if you are not a student. I'm sure that they will have that sale again.

Tax - I have to pay tax if I buy it from Best Buy. You will have to pay tax if you buy it from Apple unless you live in a state that has no sales tax.

Free Printer - Best Buy currently offers promotions on discounts on printers so it's almost free. But how many people really need a printer? And technically Apple is offering you a rebate. You have to purchase the printer and pay sales tax on it so it's not really free.

AppleCare Discount - But it separately from Apple

Software Discount - Buy it separately from Apple

I am not a Best Buy employee, but I am a Silver Member and I shop there often because they will price match competitors so I get the price I want and my reward points. Best Buy doesn't install additional software on the Macs as well. I am just surprise that so many people don't do their research.

By the way, I've bought 2 MacBook Pros and one MacBook Air from Best Buy. I've gotten about $300 in reward certificates from Best Buy on those purchases. I've bought one BTO MacBook Pro through Apple and I only got a $100 App/iTunes card.

most college students use a printer. bc now some colleges are charging to use theirs. also when you use a college printer its laser and when i hand in a term paper id rather have it on nice thick paper than cheap laser printer paper that the school provides.

for applecare can you still get a student discount even though you are not buying a computer from them?

Cougarcat
Jun 19, 2011, 06:44 PM
for applecare can you still get a student discount even though you are not buying a computer from them?

Yes, you don't even have to buy it at the same time, as long as you do it before your one-year warranty expires.

ApleSmaple1981
Jun 19, 2011, 08:14 PM
Does anyone know if BB generally matches Apple's educational pricing and subsidy of a $100 printer?

If so I am canceling my order and going straight to BB!

$100 off an iPad sounds nice!

syedhussain
Jun 19, 2011, 09:12 PM
^^^ They will match edu price, but not the printer. I am selling my card so I will get $100 off anything , not just from BB.

un.titled
Jun 19, 2011, 09:22 PM
I would rather have the $100 App store gift card. Apple's gift card is more useful for a student than an iPod touch or $100 BB gift card. There are a lot of great college applications now on the App store (ex. iStudiezPro).

P.S. why would students need a printer? Do some universities charge for printing now? I probably print 200 color/b&w pages a week for free from school haha.

paramore
Jun 19, 2011, 09:32 PM
just bought my mac two days ago..
hope best buy accepts my receipt, or else i'm going to return and re-buy

xxBURT0Nxx
Jun 19, 2011, 09:39 PM
P.S. why would students need a printer? Do some universities charge for printing now? I probably print 200 color/b&w pages a week for free from school haha.

yeah, $0.05 - $0.10 per page at some of the larger uni's around here.

dukebound85
Jun 19, 2011, 09:41 PM

Why? you can get the apple gc with your bb gc if you wnated, plus alot more things

It has more to due with the expense of college than just "school work"

Yumunum
Jun 19, 2011, 09:42 PM

I need a printer everyday. The free printer makes life way easier, no more trios to get things printed!

xxBURT0Nxx
Jun 19, 2011, 09:44 PM
Why? you can get the apple gc with your bb gc if you wnated, plus alot more things

if you were planning on using the itunes gift card, why would you buy a mac at best buy, just to buy a gift card for apple from best buy, then use it for your apple id?

If you have no intention of getting anything at best buy, you're best off just buying it from apple. If you'd rather use the best buy card (and i assume the majority would) and you can get the edu discount, then certainly buying from best buy is your best bet.

I need a printer everyday. The free printer makes life way easier, no more trios to get things printed!

I did a lot of printing too... definitely preferred having my own printer at my house rather than having to worry about saving **** to thumb drives or emailing it to myself and getting back to school early to make sure i got all of my stuff printed out

Vudoo
Jun 19, 2011, 09:51 PM
most college students use a printer. bc now some colleges are charging to use theirs. also when you use a college printer its laser and when i hand in a term paper id rather have it on nice thick paper than cheap laser printer paper that the school provides.

I worked in the computer lab when I was in college and students would use the lab printers. Doctorate students would print out their thesis that would be the size of a large book. If you want to use your own paper in the computer lab, just bring your own paper and put it in the manual paper tray and print to that tray. I personally hate inkjet printers, which is what Apple offers, because you'll end up spending more money on ink than the cost of the printer.

You have up to one year to purchase AppleCare from the date of purchase and no you don't have to buy your computer from Apple to get the student discount on AppleCare.

un.titled
Jun 19, 2011, 10:01 PM

Not every Best Buy seems to do this. I know for a fact that the Best Buy in my area will not allow you to purchase gift cards with a gift card.

un.titled
Jun 19, 2011, 10:02 PM

Ouch, that's rough. I go to Penn State, and luckily, they don't charge.

ApleSmaple1981
Jun 19, 2011, 10:03 PM
If I wanted to purchase through BB but couldn't build-to-order then who could I bring it to for upgrades as I do not have the experience to take apart a 2,000 dollar laptop

un.titled
Jun 19, 2011, 10:05 PM

I purchased an iMac a couple years ago, and just recently, a new MBP. Both were ordered through the online store and never once was I asked to prove I was a student. Do the actual Apple stores ask you to provide documentation? What stops people from just using the education store online (if they're not really students)?

onthecouchagain
Jun 19, 2011, 10:06 PM
While the Best Buy giftcard itself is better, you don't get the free printer and the educational discount.

un.titled
Jun 19, 2011, 10:07 PM
If I wanted to purchase through BB but couldn't build-to-order then who could I bring it to for upgrades as I do not have the experience to take apart a 2,000 dollar laptop

Well, the HDD and Ram would probably be the only upgrades you would be considering. Since Apple considers both "user replaceable", you could take it to any shop (Best Buy, Staples, etc...) and have them perform the upgrade without voiding your warranty.

Honestly though, 5 minutes of reading a tutorial online will provide you with the knowledge to replace these parts. Super easy.

randomrazr
Jun 19, 2011, 10:08 PM

no ther epolicy is to only match one thing, not 2 discounts

so apple store online or apple store is best deal

corywoolf
Jun 19, 2011, 10:09 PM
No, it's a math equation. < means less expensive.

No, it's a math inequality. :eek:

xxBURT0Nxx
Jun 19, 2011, 10:10 PM

That's the problem with buying from best buy.... you only get to order base configs. If you want the high end 15" for example, you cannot get it at BB, and you cannot upgrade the processor and gpu on your own.

brandnewfunk
Jun 19, 2011, 10:10 PM
if you were planning on using the itunes gift card, why would you buy a mac at best buy, just to buy a gift card for apple from best buy, then use it for your apple id?

If you have no intention of getting anything at best buy, you're best off just buying it from apple. If you'd rather use the best buy card (and i assume the majority would) and you can get the edu discount, then certainly buying from best buy is your best bet.

I did a lot of printing too... definitely preferred having my own printer at my house rather than having to worry about saving **** to thumb drives or emailing it to myself and getting back to school early to make sure i got all of my stuff printed out

And who said it wasn't costing them money...? You? Oh.. Okay! also, for the record, I never said it was costing them money, I used the word IF it costs them that much per unit, they would be less likely to price match. That was an EXAMPLE not a FACT, learn the difference. You even say they aren't advertising it so that the informed thrifty shoppers will be in the minority, pretty obvious that BB is "half assing" the Apple promo since it's a non advertised gift card, no printer, and no edu discount (at least also not an advertised edu discount).

And I already said 3 times that companies will sometimes price match or run huge sales when they think they will make money back in other ways (other products, services, accessories, etc.)... this is called a loss leader. Do you even read before posting... I never was arguing with you or saying that BB won't price match, I said that it was not true that companies won't "half ass" price matching.

welcome to the rest of the world and start paying for things :rolleyes:

Clearly you're an Apple zealot! haha. Dude, Apple is NOT a religion or your girlfriend. You can "sin" or "cheat" on it every once and a while. Apple can make good products AND SIMULTANEOUSLY have a weaker promotion. IT'S OKAY. BREATHE. haha. Since when is a BB gift card seen as more restrictive/least desirable vis-a-visa MAC APP STORE gift card?! given all the $h*+ (e.g., hardware) in Best Buy? or all the hardware in the regular Apple store?!

Heck, even the strongest/ordinarily blind/biased Apple fans bemoaned this promo by Apple.

Listen, dude, get yourself some Apps. And let the rest of us get a cheaper MBP and some money off a PS3 or ATV with our $100. And find our apps via utorrent.

mccldwll
Jun 19, 2011, 10:11 PM

Actually, no. BB is attempting to match aapl's BTS $100 card offer. Consequently, for those who can't get aapl's edu discount BB doesn't offer anything.

dukebound85
Jun 19, 2011, 10:16 PM

I am just pointing out that a bb gc is more veratile than the apple gc...

xxBURT0Nxx
Jun 19, 2011, 10:21 PM
I am just pointing out that a bb gc is more veratile than the apple gc...

obviously, but if someone wants the apple gift card why would they buy the best buy computer to get their gift card just to turn around and buy the apple card like you suggested? That's just a waste if someone already knows they want the apple card.

Clearly you're an Apple zealot! haha. Dude, Apple is NOT a religion or your girlfriend. You can "sin" or "cheat" on it every once and a while. Apple can make good products AND SIMULTANEOUSLY have a weaker promotion. IT'S OKAY. BREATHE. haha. Since when is a BB gift card seen as more restrictive/least desirable vis-a-visa MAC APP STORE gift card?! given all the $h*+ (e.g., hardware) in Best Buy? or all the hardware in the regular Apple store?!

Heck, even the strongest/ordinarily blind/biased Apple fans bemoaned this promo by Apple.

Listen, dude, get yourself some Apps. And let the rest of us get a cheaper MBP and some money off a PS3 or ATV with our $100. And find our apps via utorrent.
I never supported apples promo.... i simply said dollar for dollar if you don't get the edu discount from bb, you are actually losing money. Argue that. Because I have even said multiple times that the bb gift card is more appealing, a better deal, and that most people will definitely prefer it (myself included) but if you can't get the edu discount, you are not gaining anything from buying from best buy even though you prefer their gift card. You obviously don't know how to read because i never said an apple gift card was better, i actually said the bb one was.

Go back and look at all of my posts if you are going to try to tell me how i think. I was arguing a point that a guy said "no company that is in the business of matching prices 'half asses' their price matches" Nowhere was I supporting apple, i was saying that BB DOES NOT ALWAYS pricematch, and that is a proven fact. Apple doesn't always price match, etc. etc.... get over yourself because I haven't EVER one time in this thread said that an Apple GC is preferable to a BB one.... you made that up yourself, so good job...

****ing people who have no reading comprehension.....

ApleSmaple1981
Jun 19, 2011, 10:22 PM
While the Best Buy giftcard itself is better, you don't get the free printer and the educational discount.

I believe I read earlier in this post that BB will honor or match the educational discount...as far as the free printer I am going to check tomorrow...it makes no sense to go through BB if they don't match the Apple deal and BB wouldn't make much unless they got people who didn't qualify for the education discount.

I'm going to print out what it would cost me through apple and then present it to the salesman and see if he can get his manager to comply.

Fingers crossed...

And thanks for the info about changing the HDD...not sure what I'll do...the only upgrade I was thinking was 750 @ 5400 and replace it to a 500 @ 7200, but not sure if it's really worth the loss of space for the uptick in speed...may do nothing or eventually go with 8GB RAM ... thoughts

CLWelch
Jun 19, 2011, 11:19 PM
I'd rather give my money to the Apple Store. Best Buy has a destructive presence.

crankyx92
Jun 20, 2011, 02:03 AM
BB does offer the 100 dollars off student discount.. I went in and checked recently... So let me get his straight.. If i purchase a mbp from BB, I am eligible for the student discount and 100$ BB gift card ?

Also, if I purchase the mbp from BB, do i get the osx Lion for free too when it comes out??

MacAddict1978
Jun 20, 2011, 03:30 AM

Yeah, how? You're going to pay slightly over a hundred dollars MORE for the Mac at Best Buy. Saving a $100, is the same as getting $100, so it COSTS your money to get it at Best Buy.... they don't give the educational discount.

Apple Store Best Buy
MacBook Pro $1099 $1199
Gift Card -$100 -$100
Bonus

Credit For -$99 None
Printer

Even if you don't want a free print, you still get much more buying from Apple.

Cougarcat
Jun 20, 2011, 03:58 AM
Saving a $100, is the same as getting $100, so it COSTS your money to get it at Best Buy.... they don't give the educational discount.

Actually, they do.

seamuskrat
Jun 20, 2011, 05:07 AM
I have not had a chance to read the details.

Can I buy from BB and turithe rebate to Apple and BB? That would be a deal. Even if there was no BB discount

Does Apple offer the program if you buy a Mac from any authorized retailer? I vaguely recall this being the case years ago. Don't know if it still is.

But I would gladly forgo the education discount for a BB gift Card if I needed accessories. Perhaps this is why BB is offering the program,tooffset the pricing they cannot offer.

jlocker
Jun 20, 2011, 05:56 AM
At my Best Buy, if you purchase a computer you can get a discount on WIFI printers when you purchase a new computer. If the printer is under $100 you get $40 off a printer, if the printer is over $100 you get $60.00 of a printer.

Also Best Buy store is redoing the layout of the stores, ours was just done, more tablet computers with iPad have a big display , more e-books. It is a great layout and more Apple related products.

I love how Apple has the store within the store, we do not have a Apple store in our town and the nearest stores are hours away, and with the price of gas it is great to be able to put your hand on the computers and try them out. The Best Buy store people were friendly and knowledgable about the Apple products, they also have a official Apple Rep that is in the store most of the time.

Also, i saw the store had discount a couple of hundred dollars off on closeout price on the previous version of the iMac, so if ask and look around you can find a good price on a new Mac or a return or Display model. A customer I saw was getting the last version of the iMac and got a good discount on the older model.

Ihatefall
Jun 20, 2011, 06:29 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Agree that the big question here is whether or not they will match the EDU price of Apple as well. The MacBook Airs have traditionally only gotten $50 off for education, so even if BB doesn't match them, it would still be a better deal for me.

When I purchased my MBP from Best Buy I asked if they had edu pricing and they said they didn't.. mm :(

Last year they matched the iPod touch and the edu discount for me. You just have to ask around! I went to 5 different best buys...

ghsNick
Jun 20, 2011, 07:12 AM
Actually, they do.

I went in yesterday and they said the $100 gift card was them "matchin" the student discount price.

So I bought through Apple.

It would have been $1799 + Free $100 BB gift card.
At Apple it was $1699 + Free $100 App Card.

So Apple has the better deal.

But if you somehow ge BB to match the $1699 + $100 BB gift card that'll be the better buy.

mrzeigler
Jun 20, 2011, 07:18 AM
If Best Buy matches the discounted price ($100 less) of the iMac I'm going to buy and offers this card, then it's a no-brainer for me to buy at BB ...

A grocery store in my region has a loyalty program that offers 10 cents off a gallon of gas for every $50 you spend, including on gift cards. Since I'm going to be buying more than $2,300 of iMac and iPad, I'd buy that much in BB gift cards, get $4.60/gallon fuel discount, get edu pricing and the BB gift card. And since I'd be buying those gift cards with a credit card that has 21 months interest-free financing, I'd pay it off at about $105/month. That would amount to $60-80 in free gas on top of the two $100 incentives.

The only problem is that I was considering getting Adobe CS5 with the purchase. Anyone know of a way to get the significant Adobe edu price cut ($200 for the CS5 Standard Design edition) if you buy somewhere other than Apple? That's $100 less than the standard edu price, so if I couldn't get that, I'd come out $20-40 short, even with the fuel discount.

jonnysods
Jun 20, 2011, 08:03 AM
I think I would go for the Best Buy one...

RedRaven571
Jun 20, 2011, 08:10 AM
I'd rather give my money to the Apple Store. Best Buy has a destructive presence.

A destructive presence?!? What, exactly, are the destroying? I shop for the best price/deal when I want to buy a particular piece of technology, and BB has often been one of the best places to catch a deal.

RedRaven571
Jun 20, 2011, 08:12 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Last year they matched the iPod touch and the edu discount for me. You just have to ask around! I went to 5 different best buys...

From what I hear, it's up to the store manager's discretion.

jtcouch
Jun 20, 2011, 08:19 AM
I went to Best Buy yesterday and purchased the 21.5" iMac (MC309LL/A). My wife's education/teacher discount is $50 off on the Apple site. Best Buy had this on sale for $1160. They gave me the education discount which brought the price down to $1110. They also gave me a $100 Best Buy gift card which matches the Mac store gift card . I didn't ask anything about a printer because I didn't need one. But they do have some deal where you can save $40 on a printer. The main reason I went with Best Buy was for the no interest on the Best Buy card. If it wasn't for that, I would have bought from Apple.

XR4TI
Jun 20, 2011, 08:46 AM
I was in a Best Buy on last thursday and they told me they won't match the Gift Card (per corporate) just the education discount. So I returned the MBP and went to the Apple Store.

Sequin
Jun 20, 2011, 09:34 AM
Glad I got my computer last year. I've never bought a thing from the App Store.

Vudoo
Jun 20, 2011, 10:04 AM
I purchased an iMac a couple years ago, and just recently, a new MBP. Both were ordered through the online store and never once was I asked to prove I was a student. Do the actual Apple stores ask you to provide documentation? What stops people from just using the education store online (if they're not really students)?

Yes, the Apple Store will ask for documentation and I know this from personal experience.

As for non students using the education online store, if Apple checks up and find that they are not students, then they will charge the discount savings to the credit card.

mccldwll
Jun 20, 2011, 10:05 AM
?...

But I would gladly forgo the education discount for a BB gift Card if I needed accessories. Perhaps this is why BB is offering the program,tooffset the pricing they cannot offer.

Huh? You would rather pay full price at BB and get a free $100 gift card than pay Apple $100 less with education discount AND get a free $100 iTunes, etc. card? Best Buy needs more customers who think like you.

dukebound85
Jun 20, 2011, 11:14 AM
obviously, but if someone wants the apple gift card why would they buy the best buy computer to get their gift card just to turn around and buy the apple card like you suggested? That's just a waste if someone already knows they want the apple card.

:rolleyes:

Yes, if someone wants solely an apple gc, go through apple. However, and I imagine many others, would rather have the versatility to have more options as when I get a gc, I hardly know what I want to get with it beforehand, be it a apple gc or hardware gear from bb.

As far as the edu discount, there have been cases of bb matching it

xxBURT0Nxx
Jun 20, 2011, 11:40 AM

Yes, if someone wants solely an apple gc, go through apple. However, and I imagine many others, would rather have the versatility to have more options as when I get a gc, I hardly know what I want to get with it beforehand, be it a apple gc or hardware gear from bb.

why do you keep saying the same thing to me, I agree with you, the bb gc is a waaaaay better deal.

The original poster said he would use and preferred the apple gc, you suggested why not still get it at bb since you can buy an apple gc there too.

I'm simply telling you that's a waste of time, if you want the apple gc, there is no point in buying the machine at bb, just to turn around and swap out the gc's..... stop trying to argue, i never told you the apple gc was better, or that you shouldn't get the bb gc. I said, if you already know you want the apple gift card (in the case of that original poster) then why would you not buy it from apple..... :rolleyes:

The only problem is that I was considering getting Adobe CS5 with the purchase. Anyone know of a way to get the significant Adobe edu price cut ($200 for the CS5 Standard Design edition) if you buy somewhere other than Apple? That's $100 less than the standard edu price, so if I couldn't get that, I'd come out $20-40 short, even with the fuel discount.

buy the software through your uni, it is usually very cheap to get CS5 from the school.

dukebound85
Jun 20, 2011, 11:50 AM
why do you keep saying the same thing to me, I agree with you, the bb gc is a waaaaay better deal.

The original poster said he would use and preferred the apple gc, you suggested why not still get it at bb since you can buy an apple gc there too.

I'm simply telling you that's a waste of time, if you want the apple gc, there is no point in buying the machine at bb, just to turn around and swap out the gc's..... stop trying to argue, i never told you the apple gc was better, or that you shouldn't get the bb gc. I said, if you already know you want the apple gift card (in the case of that original poster) then why would you not buy it from apple..... :rolleyes:

I merely pointed out that you can get the same apple gc with a bb gc as many people probably did not even realized that was an option with the bb gc (you know, for those who didn't know you could do that..)

I interpreted that response as "I would rather get something from apple than from bb" and that he didn't realize you could get the same thing through bb as well as other options if he wanted. You were under the impression he already knew this

But seeing how you like to respond to each one of my posts due to you having a different interpretation than I, have at it....

I was just pointing out the option

xxBURT0Nxx
Jun 20, 2011, 11:54 AM
I merely pointed out that you can get the same apple gc with a bb gc as many people probably did not even realized that was an option with the bb gc (you know, for those who didn't know you could do that..)

I interpreted that response as "I would rather get something from apple than from bb" and that he didn't realize you could get the same thing through bb as well as other options if he wanted. You were under the impression he already knew this

And another poster said that at his local BB, they don't allow you to purchase GC's with other GC's..... I know that's not true everywhere, just pointing it out (you know, for those who didn't know you might not be able to do that..)

I never argued with you, I just stated it's dumb to get a BB gc just to turn around and try to use it to buy an Apple gc when you can just buy from apple and get the Apple gc from the get go. Stop trying to argue with me, I never said you were wrong, I just said you telling the OP to use his BB gc to get the Apple GC was a waste of time since he already knew he wanted the apple gc.

dukebound85
Jun 20, 2011, 11:58 AM
And another poster said that at his local BB, they don't allow you to purchase GC's with other GC's..... I know that's not true everywhere, just pointing it out (you know, for those who didn't know you might not be able to do that..)

I would be very surprised if that was the case. I am willing to bet that that poster was merely misinformed as if it were true, it would be BB wide.

I never argued with you, I just stated it's dumb to get a BB gc just to turn around and try to use it to buy an Apple gc when you can just buy from apple and get the Apple gc from the get go. Stop trying to argue with me, I never said you were wrong, I just said you telling the OP to use his BB gc to get the Apple GC was a waste of time since he already knew he wanted the apple gc.

I am not arguing with you. I just pointed out the option to the poster in question about something he may not have known about and then you started to argue with me! Yes, you are right, if someone wants an apple gc, get it through apple. My post, while quoting that poster, was more for having other readers know of the option

Do you think everyone knows they can buy apple gc via bb gc's? No, and hence why I wrote my original post on the matter before you started getting all "combative" lol

mccldwll
Jun 20, 2011, 11:59 AM

You're babbling again. This is not rocket science. If BB in fact matches aapl's edu price AND the printer offer (if you need it) AND you need $100 of BB stuff more than you need $100 of apps, etc., get it at BB. But, if BB won't match the edu discount price first (and there are lots of cases where they won't) then BB is a worse deal. Those who can't understand that should take their parents shopping with them.

xxBURT0Nxx
Jun 20, 2011, 12:03 PM
I would be very surprised if that was the case. I am willing to bet that that poster was merely misinformed as if it were true, it would be BB wide.

I see you like to mock. lol

It's all in fun :D

we are both agreeing on the same thing, no sense to this and I wasn't "combating" you.

Ozbotic
Jun 20, 2011, 12:31 PM
Wow I wonder if the people in this thread realize they have been talking in circles going back and forth.

People should just realize it's someones preference whether they want a BB gift card or apples gift card. I personally don't need $100 itunes/app store gift card so the Best Buy gift card proves more useful to me because of the accessories that I could purchase from there(cases mainly) and if I do want an app store/itunes i'll spend the remainder of what I have on the card and get a $50 or maybe a $25 app store card. It's not that complicated.

kugino
Jun 20, 2011, 12:36 PM
would be nicer to have the BB gift card, but most are discounting the up to $100 discount for education. if BB could give me $100 off plus the gift card, i'd probably do that, even though there's the $100 free printer through apple as well...

xxBURT0Nxx
Jun 20, 2011, 12:41 PM
would be nicer to have the BB gift card, but most are discounting the up to $100 discount for education. if BB could give me $100 off plus the gift card, i'd probably do that, even though there's the $100 free printer through apple as well...

Some best buys are offering the edu discount, others are stating that the gift card is in place of the edu discount. Your best bet is to call the BB's in your area and find out because everyone seems to be having different experiences.

There are also some promos on printers through BB, $40 off a $100 or less printer, $60 off a $100 or more printer.

kugino
Jun 20, 2011, 01:12 PM
Some best buys are offering the edu discount, others are stating that the gift card is in place of the edu discount. Your best bet is to call the BB's in your area and find out because everyone seems to be having different experiences.

There are also some promos on printers through BB, $40 off a $100 or less printer, $60 off a $100 or more printer.

cool. nice to know...if BB matches the edu discount and then gives $100 gift card on top, that's a pretty good deal...

xxBURT0Nxx
Jun 20, 2011, 01:16 PM
cool. nice to know...if BB matches the edu discount and then gives $100 gift card on top, that's a pretty good deal...

indeed, probably the preferable deal compared to an iTunes GC. However if your local BB won't give you the edu discount, you would be spending more money to buy the machine at best buy.

DBAlex
Jun 20, 2011, 01:24 PM
Hi,

7 pages of posts... and I noticed, no one asked, will this work for Best Buy in the UK?

Anyone tried it yet?

Can we get the Edu discount + BB gift card in the UK?

Alex. :)

mccldwll
Jun 20, 2011, 01:25 PM
Wow I wonder if the people in this thread realize they have been talking in circles going back and forth.

People should just realize it's someones preference whether they want a BB gift card or apples gift card. I personally don't need $100 itunes/app store gift card so the Best Buy gift card proves more useful to me because of the accessories that I could purchase from there(cases mainly) and if I do want an app store/itunes i'll spend the remainder of what I have on the card and get a $50 or maybe a $25 app store card. It's not that complicated.

No, it's not that complicated. But apparently you still don't understand that if BB doesn't also give someone an edu discount, then BB probably is the worse deal no matter what one does with the stupid card.

GREEN4U
Jun 20, 2011, 01:31 PM
I think the point of all this is that, HARDWARE > SOFTWARE. and Best Buy gc = hardware, where iTunes gift card = software

Apple failed big time with their gift card move. Their educational discount of =< 5% off is measley. Even without an edu discount at Best Buy, Best Buy still has the better deal. To break even with Best Buy, I'd have to sell the iTunes gift card for more than $50. It's probably not that easy. Only fools would buy that gift card from me.

I never say this but
Best Buy FTW.

LSUstang05
Jun 20, 2011, 01:35 PM
i dont think you get an education discount. and i also dont think you get a $100 towards a printer. so between the $100 for a printer and $100-200 for a computer apples is still better but limits you when it comes to the giftcard. now if bestbuy added a printer and education discount we would be talking. that would bring back some of their loses and compete with apple at the same time.

Depends on the store that you shop at. My local BBY honors the apple edu discount and the $100 gift card. No, you don't get $100 towards a printer, but you can get $40-60 off a printer depending on price. I just bought my Mac there and got this deal. Just have to ask for it all. Also helps if you have an Apple Store in the area since it's really just a price match and BBY is supposed to honor competitor's pricing as long as the store is within 50 miles (brick and mortar stores).

mccldwll
Jun 20, 2011, 01:39 PM
I think the point of all this is that, HARDWARE > SOFTWARE. and Best Buy gc = hardware, where iTunes gift card = software

Apple failed big time with their gift card move. Their educational discount of =< 5% off is measley. Even without an edu discount at Best Buy, Best Buy still has the better deal. To break even with Best Buy, I'd have to sell the iTunes gift card for more than $50. It's probably not that easy. Only fools would buy that gift card from me.

I never say this but
Best Buy FTW.

No. It doesn't. The edu discount is more than $50 on most offerings. And only a fool who had no need for Mac apps, or iPhone/iPad/iPod apps, or iTunes media would sell a $100 card at half price.

xxBURT0Nxx
Jun 20, 2011, 01:44 PM

I never say this but
Best Buy FTW.

lol best buy loves people like you who can't do math.

So with no edu discount at BB, your prices for a 13" look like this

$1200 paid gets you a $100 Best Buy gift card

At the apple store it looks like this

$1200 - $100 EDU discount = $1100 paid gets you a $100 App store gift card, and $100 off a printer.

So basically, I can also buy the $100 BB gift card with the money I saved through the edu discount, then I get the computer, the software gc, the hardware gc, and a printer.

You're right, Even without an edu discount at Best Buy, Best Buy still has the better deal. Best Buy FTW.

GREEN4U
Jun 20, 2011, 01:58 PM
lol best buy loves people like you who can't do math.

So with no edu discount at BB, your prices for a 13" look like this

$1200 paid gets you a $100 Best Buy gift card

At the apple store it looks like this

$1200 - $100 EDU discount = $1100 paid gets you a $100 App store gift card, and $100 off a printer.

So basically, I can also buy the $100 BB gift card with the money I saved through the edu discount, then I get the computer, the software gc, the hardware gc, and a printer.

You're right, Even without an edu discount at Best Buy, Best Buy still has the better deal. Best Buy FTW.

Trust me I know what you mean.

But for the record, I was talking about a Macbook Air which is what I want. :D The Apple Edu discount for Airs are $50 all around. The $100 iTunes card is worth $0 to me, so I'd be happy to get $50+ out of it. The pain of trying to sell it isn't worth it though. Finally, I don't need another printer. That's where I was coming from. :)

tigress666
Jun 20, 2011, 02:26 PM

You've apparently never worked retail. It's as simple as this. It may not be BB's policty to let you buy other gift cards with their gift cards (or match Apple's edu pricing).

But, stores do leave some stuff up to the manager's discretion on if they want to waive policy. Your store could have a manager who has decided it is better to waive policy. Some one else could go to a store whose manager is very strict on that rule.

So, yes, easily one BB could allow it and another could not.

Shoot, it could even be a policy by that is only for stores of that district (group of states in one section of the country) or state (more likely as some states won't allow certain policies so they won't have a policy like that in that state).

Ozbotic
Jun 20, 2011, 02:30 PM
No, it's not that complicated. But apparently you still don't understand that if BB doesn't also give someone an edu discount, then BB probably is the worse deal no matter what one does with the stupid card.

Oh trust me I understand basic math but, I was talking personally about my situation. In my case it doesn't really matter if I get the Best Buy gift card "deal" because my $1000 dollars for my macbook pro is being matched by my parents so whatever I don't have they're paying the difference. So pretty much for me the best buy gift card deal is much more useful as I can get an app store gift card and more.

xxBURT0Nxx
Jun 20, 2011, 02:34 PM
Oh trust me I understand basic math but, I was talking personally about my situation. In my case it doesn't really matter if I get the Best Buy gift card "deal" because my $1000 dollars for my macbook pro is being matched by my parents so whatever I don't have they're paying the difference. So pretty much for me the best buy gift card deal is much more useful as I can get an app store gift card and more.

So if BB doesn't match the edu discount, you don't care because your parents are paying it?

You realize you could save them $100 which could be used to buy that BB gift card you want, and you would also receive the free printer, and the $100 iTunes gift card, right?

But who cares, if it's your parents money hahahahaha

ten-oak-druid
Jun 20, 2011, 03:06 PM
The reason I dislike BB and similar stores is that they are usually staffed by young people who do not have good knowledge of the products or an interest to ever gain that knowledge. And even worse they tend to answer your questions based on what they think the answer to be. Instead of telling you they don't know, they take a shot at it believing any answer is good enough. It is the sort of response you expect on an exam where the student doesn't know the answer but hopes that by appearing confident in the answer there will be plenty of partial credit coming.

If you'd like to see this in action, go to one of these stores and ask something you know the answer to and see what you get. Here is an example. Go ask about the USB port on the back of a Directv receiver. Ask if you can connect a USB hard drive to it for extra storage. Most of the time they won't know the answer is no but will say "yes" because it is a USB port after all and it is reasonable to assume you can do this.

I don't mind people telling me they don't know an answer to a question. But it infuriates me when people just take an educated guess and offer it as a knowledgable answer.

If you want another example of this phenomenon, ask a waiter or waitress if a certain food is in a dish because you are allergic. I've had people hear me state that I am allergic to a certain food, and then answer my question without checking because they can't imagine it being in there. On being told to ask the kitchen they come back amazed that it is in the dish and who would have thought such a thing? Better waiters and waitresses will know to ask if they do not know.

Circuit City used to have well paid employees who actually took the time to know the product they were selling. You could see they took the job seriously because the pay was good. Except for the annoying attempts to sell warranties for everything, I enjoyed shopping there. When they laid off most everyone in order to hire people back at small wages I wrote their corporate office a nasty letter telling them how much money I had spent their and how I would not be shopping there anymore knowing the service was about to become bad ad that I supported the quality employees they just discarded without a thought. I finished by saying I sincerely hoped their business suffered for this so bad that they had to close shop. I got some bogus reply about their rationale for firing those people. It didn't take long for my vision of their demise to come about. They were in bankruptcy not many years later. I guess I was not the only one who stopped spending my money there.

mccldwll
Jun 20, 2011, 03:06 PM

You said the following earlier:

"Though I'm kind of disappointed in the fact that they're not giving us an ipod touch for the BTS promotion, I'm actually quite glad that I'll be receiving a $100 itunes card. Spending money on that macbook pro was probably going to halt my itunes purchases for sometime, but now it seems like i'll have plenty of money to purchase ipod touch apps as well as apps in the mac store."

Dionysus2112
Jun 20, 2011, 03:11 PM
My local Best Buy store matched the ED and gave me a $100 BB gift card.

I also used their 18 month zero interest financing good deal.

I had actually purchased this on Saturday of last week spoke with the General manager and he agreed to the match. So for me it worked out well and the BB gift card was more useful.

tigress666
Jun 20, 2011, 03:18 PM
Circuit City used to have well paid employees who actually took the time to know the product they were selling. You could see they took the job seriously because the pay was good. Except for the annoying attempts to sell warranties for everything, I enjoyed shopping there. When they laid off most everyone in order to hire people back at small wages I wrote their corporate office a nasty letter telling them how much money I had spent their and how I would not be shopping there anymore knowing the service was about to become bad ad that I supported the quality employees they just discarded without a thought. I finished by saying I sincerely hoped their business suffered for this so bad that they had to close shop. I got some bogus reply about their rationale for firing those people. It didn't take long for my vision of their demise to come about. They were in bankruptcy not many years later. I guess I was not the only one who stopped spending my money there.

Hate to say it but I suspect more likely was they were in trouble when they scaled back employees. The scaling back of employees probably though hastened it rather than helped (it takes money to make money so when a company gets to a certain point, it gets much harder to save the business cause some of the measures you can do to save money might harm your business even more. They may have been better off cutting back somewhere else but apparently did a failed attempt at saving themselves. I also thought they should have spent some money updating their store's look... people don't like shopping in places that look run down. Make a place look shiny and new and people want to stay longer and think to check out more stuff cause maybe you have something shiny and new to buy. Plus it makes your products look dreary if they are in a dreary store).

I miss Circuit City. And yeah, I used to get really good help at Circuit City. If nothing else, they were willing to help you (never really got that experience at Best Buy). Especially since I refuse to buy anything at Best Buy (never ever had good service there. And had at least one incident that pissed me off enough to not spend money on there on principle). I have a similar hope to yours about CC about Best Buy, that their horrid customer service bites them in the butt one day. I do note they got listed as one of 2010's top most hated company *grin*.

GREEN4U
Jun 20, 2011, 03:26 PM
Poor service and staff isn't even Best Buy's biggest issue. It's the simple fact that their prices just aren't that good. I can buy the same things from Amazon or eBay for cheaper. That said, I haven't bought anything from Best Buy in a long long long time. In fact I can't even remember ever buying anything with my own cash (usually were all from gift cards from birthdays/christmas, etc).

Still, between an iTunes and Best Buy gift card, the Best Buy GC is the lesser of 2 evils.

ten-oak-druid
Jun 20, 2011, 04:00 PM
Hate to say it but I suspect more likely was they were in trouble when they scaled back employees. The scaling back of employees probably though hastened it rather than helped (it takes money to make money so when a company gets to a certain point, it gets much harder to save the business cause some of the measures you can do to save money might harm your business even more. They may have been better off cutting back somewhere else but apparently did a failed attempt at saving themselves. I also thought they should have spent some money updating their store's look... people don't like shopping in places that look run down. Make a place look shiny and new and people want to stay longer and think to check out more stuff cause maybe you have something shiny and new to buy. Plus it makes your products look dreary if they are in a dreary store).

I miss Circuit City. And yeah, I used to get really good help at Circuit City. If nothing else, they were willing to help you (never really got that experience at Best Buy). Especially since I refuse to buy anything at Best Buy (never ever had good service there. And had at least one incident that pissed me off enough to not spend money on there on principle). I have a similar hope to yours about CC about Best Buy, that their horrid customer service bites them in the butt one day. I do note they got listed as one of 2010's top most hated company *grin*.

No doubt they were likely in trouble when they scaled back. But my point is that taking that approach to "fix" things was the wrong decision. Getting rid of the quality employees was the wrong move. As you said it probably hastened the end. They might as well have closed up shop because they wrote the end right there.

There were probably ways they could have done it differently. They could have closed some stores and laid off a few people. Trying to hold on to some would show it wasn't the desire to switch to a permanent business model of low wage employees who will never be bothered to learn about the product they sell. Sometimes laying off people is the only choice but that large scale shift just changed the entire company for the worse. Of course there were probably ways to save money that would have made life for the top brass less enjoyable. Bonuses were probably the last to go.

Yeah BB just rubs me wrong. I have gone in there on occasion when I had no choice and it is so frustrating. I once asked a group of employees if they had any mini-toslink cables. They looked at me like I was insane. They had never heard of a toslink cable that could go into a miniplug like on a mac laptop. I guess if its not on their shelves it doesn't exist. LOL

Ozbotic
Jun 20, 2011, 04:06 PM
You said the following earlier:

"Though I'm kind of disappointed in the fact that they're not giving us an ipod touch for the BTS promotion, I'm actually quite glad that I'll be receiving a $100 itunes card. Spending money on that macbook pro was probably going to halt my itunes purchases for sometime, but now it seems like i'll have plenty of money to purchase ipod touch apps as well as apps in the mac store."

Whats your point?

That I said that i was happy about the itunes card? Yes I was until this other deal came up. In this situation I saw the glass as half full instead of complaining how I hate apple for not giving ipod touches instead.

Or is your point that I would have money to spend on the app store and now I said I may only use $50-$25 dollars in the app store?
I did say plenty(plenty as in more than enough). I don't NEED $100 dollars in an app store but if that was the only thing apple was going to hand out to us then so be it i'll take it.

funnyatleast
Jun 20, 2011, 05:27 PM
Well I wasn't too happy with this new apple change but BB gave me hope, NOW IT ALLLLL GONE!.

I called 3 BB and they said they will give the giftcard but WILL NOT take the 100 dollars off of the laptop.

I guess I will go with Apple....

Macbook pro (no tax area)
1200-100-90 (selling itunes GC)=1010
This really sucks since last year I only paid 900ish with the ipod.

malman89
Jun 20, 2011, 07:12 PM
Regardless of where people go to buy their new Macs, it seems like Best Buy is the clear favorite to trade in old Macs.

I have a 2007 C2D White MacBook, 1 GB RAM, 500 GB 7200rpm HD (self upgrade), and the 8x SuperDrive.

Best Buy will give $558 gift card credit for it or something like $375 to cut a check. Looking around at used Mac trade in sites, I'd be lucky to get $350 from them. So at best, I'd get a little more trade in if I went the check route, or a heck of a lot more if I got a gift card.

Although my laptop is in pristine condition (no scratches except minor underside ones), no stains, blotches, etc., it is 4+ years old. I wouldn't find someone to buy it for $500 unless it was a friend (of family) or a sucker.

Emilio G
Jun 20, 2011, 08:05 PM
I feel I should share my BB experience with you guys since it was a bit of a roller coaster ride.

My wife and i bought a 21.5" iMac with the i5 processor last Monday (week ago today) at the Best Buy in Wellington, FL. We find out about the BB promotion last night thanks to MacRumors. I call the Best Buy we bought it from and they tell us that since the iMac was on sale ($1159 down from $1199), they'd have to resell it to us at retail price THEN they'd be able to give us an iTunes GC for $100, not a BB GC. Seeing as how we wanted the BB GC, we said "thank you" and hung up, feeling it wasn't worth the hassle.

After reading all of you guys' posts on there last night and some today, I decided to go back to the BB we purchased the iMac from. I talked to a BB rep there and told him about the promotion. He said he had to go to talk to his manager and he'd be right back. Few minutes later, he returns telling me that Best Buy is currently not doing any kind of price matching concerning the Apple promotion. He also told me that I should maybe call back in a few days to see if things have changed. I told him about the MacRumors article and he repeated what he said earlier. I thanked him for his time and let him go on his way.

His answers didn't really sit well with me so I called another Best Buy in another part of the city (Palm Beach Lakes). I speak to an AWESOME rep there (name is Darrell) that confirms the $100 BB GC. I tell him that I was currently at another store and that they tell me they haven't heard of the promotion. I also tell him my story of recently buying the iMac and he informs me that I still qualify and that he'd like for me to give MY cell phone to one of their customer service reps. I do just that and the rep I speak to says he has to talk to his Supervisor. Turns out that the SUPERVISOR was the same rep that told me there was no price matching or promotion. Should have seen the guys face once he knew what was going on.

After that, the Customer Service Relations Manager comes out and does the paperwork to not only keep our purchase at the sale price we paid just a week ago but also gave us the $100 BB GC. It was extremely satisfying to see that SUPERVISOR'S face knowing that not 15 minutes ago, he lied to my face and told me there was no promotion to only witness us getting that $100 BB GC.

Last thing I'm going to post here, to help anyone out who might experience the same BS we experienced or to help refresh the memory of any forgetful reps, is the SKU number for the promotion:

I'm pretty sure that should be nationwide for all BB's but I could be wrong. It might just be our region or it might be nationwide. Either way, you can at least walk into your Best Buy and tell them that the promotion is valid and that is the SKU number they need for it.

Recap:

Bought our iMac on Monday (6/13/11) for $1159 (down from $1199)
Best Buy $100 GC offer is good with SKU number 2953989

If you frequent the Palm Beach Lakes BB store, Darrell is the man that really looks out for customer's as he went above and beyond for us, not in person, but OVER THE PHONE.

Sorry for the long story but I felt that I needed to get it out there that the promotion is valid and that the SKU number is 2953989.

Enjoy :apple:

shanmugam
Jun 20, 2011, 08:17 PM
Regardless of where people go to buy their new Macs, it seems like Best Buy is the clear favorite to trade in old Macs.

I have a 2007 C2D White MacBook, 1 GB RAM, 500 GB 7200rpm HD (self upgrade), and the 8x SuperDrive.

Best Buy will give $558 gift card credit for it or something like $375 to cut a check. Looking around at used Mac trade in sites, I'd be lucky to get $350 from them. So at best, I'd get a little more trade in if I went the check route, or a heck of a lot more if I got a gift card.

Although my laptop is in pristine condition (no scratches except minor underside ones), no stains, blotches, etc., it is 4+ years old. I wouldn't find someone to buy it for $500 unless it was a friend (of family) or a sucker.

you might want to try eBay Instant Sale, earlier i sold my macbook it worked out well.

$558 gift card for a 2007 model, I had take it :)

big dad
Jun 20, 2011, 09:58 PM
IMO apple still has the better deal. Student's discount, free printer plus the $100 card.

MacinDoc
Jun 20, 2011, 11:14 PM
IMO apple still has the better deal. Student's discount, free printer plus the $100 card.
...not to mention discounted HDD and processor and graphic card upgrades, and significantly discounted AppleCare (discounted RAM upgrades, too, but I wouldn't bother with them at the Apple Store). Really, no BB offer can match the Apple Education Store's current offers, even without the free iPod.

Centient
Jun 21, 2011, 09:30 AM
Circuit City used to have well paid employees who actually took the time to know the product they were selling. You could see they took the job seriously because the pay was good. Except for the annoying attempts to sell warranties for everything, I enjoyed shopping there.

Yeah I remember going to the CC computer department and having conversations with staff that knew more than I did and were actually helpful. That was 10-15 years ago though. When they stopped being a commissioned based enterprise they lost their advantage over BB.

By the time they closed, most CC's were just drab, poorly staffed stores run teenagers and managers in their mid-20's. The same kind of staffing situation you'd find at your local Burger King.

monaarts
Jun 22, 2011, 07:19 PM

Best buy in kennesaw, ga won't give the $100 gift card.

Please post any other stores in Georgia that will honor both the student discount and $100 gift card - I'm looking to purchase an iMac this weekend. :-)

MacNJDevs
Jun 23, 2011, 08:18 PM
Ok so had a great experience in a BB in NJ. went in for a new macbook pro and the sales person was awesome new about everything and the promotion that was going on. I got the edu discount and the $100 GC plus an HP photosmart printer for $60 and since I used my BB Card got no interest financing and reward zone points. So idk about everyone else but that beats what apple could have done for me.

nizmoz
Jul 4, 2011, 08:14 PM
I got my new MBP and was able to get the $100 GC at Best buy. They would not discount the $59 additional amount to match what Apple showed on their website even after a bunch of fighting, but got the GC, tax exempt and my pro. :) Now I just need to think what I want to use the GC on.

Vudoo
Jul 4, 2011, 10:37 PM
I got my new MBP and was able to get the $100 GC at Best buy. They would not discount the $59 additional amount to match what Apple showed on their website even after a bunch of fighting, but got the GC, tax exempt and my pro. :) Now I just need to think what I want to use the GC on.

How did you manage to get it tax exempt? Texas has a sales tax.

nizmoz
Jul 4, 2011, 11:18 PM
How did you manage to get it tax exempt? Texas has a sales tax.

I work for a school and we are tax exempt. :)

superstarmc
Aug 7, 2011, 07:55 AM
best buy card is the better deal. with 100$, u can buy more than just crap off the mac app store like a sleeve for ur macbook or put it towards apple care. actually, get best buy to match the education discount on apple care which i think knocks 100 off it, than use the best buy 100 card on it too, so u get apple care cheap for macbook pro XD

My question is if you get $100 gift card and you buy a $950 MacBook air could you put the $100 gift card towards the Mac and get the $950 MacBook for $850?

panda bear
Aug 7, 2011, 11:12 AM
My question is if you get $100 gift card and you buy a $950 MacBook air could you put the $100 gift card towards the Mac and get the $950 MacBook for $850?

No. You get the gift card after the transaction is completed.

If you try to return the MBA and use the gift card, that does not work, because when you return the MBA, you also return the gift card.