Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

be9110

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2011
My Intel MacBook (late 2006 model) is not able to boot up, and I need a few suggestions as to how I should proceed.

A bit of background: I put the computer into hibernate two days ago (though not plugged in). I come back to it today and notice that it does not power up. I let it charge up for an hour and come back to it. It is able to go to the login screen and get me to my desktop, but I notice that whenever I clicked something, it froze the program and a spinning rainbow appeared. This got to the point where the entire system was unresponsive. Thus, I did a restart. The gray screen with an Apple logo/waiting icon did not do anything for several minutes and hung.

I reset the PRAM, but that did not fix anything.

I used the installation disk to get into the Disk Utility program. After several tries, it was able to recognize that I had an included hard drive but was not able to mount the volume. The "Macintosh HD" on the sidebar in Disk Utility was grayed out, presumably because it was not able to mount.

I first tried going to the Partition tab to change over the configuration from "Current" to "1 Partition", then back to "Current" to see if the volume would appear as mountable. This did not work and remained grayed out.

I then tried going to the First Aid tab to repair the disk. The output of that was the following:

Code:
[B]Verify and Repair disk "Macintosh HD"[/B]
Invalid Volume Header
Checking HFS Plus volume.
Checking Extents Overflow file.
Checking Catalog file.
Invalid node structure
Rebuilding Catalog B-tree.

This took a few minutes before failing.

My next option was to try seeing what I could do via Terminal. The partitions appeared in the /dev folder, but I was not able to mount them. I tried the command /sbin/fsck_hfs -yprd /dev/disk0s2 with no luck (disk0s2 is the "Macintosh HD" volume of the computer's hard drive).

After doing a bit of preliminary research, I'm getting the impression that several of the first bytes of the hard drive have been corrupted and that is where the file structure resides. Disk Utility and its command-line equivalent seem to be of limited use.

Does anyone have any recommendations besides DiskWarrior? I was wondering if it would be possible to somehow use dd (and nc over a network) within the installation disk's Terminal to transfer a nearly exact image file of the hard drive to another computer where it could possibly be examined and rescued that way. Anyone have any thoughts as to what I should do next? I can post details or more thorough explanations of the above as necessary. Thanks in advance!

For what it's worth, the model of the hard drive is Toshiba MK8034GSX.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.