Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

John336

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2011
Folks,

Newby here.

I have a mid 2010 MacBook pro. I just upgraded it to 8g of RAM. I mostly use Win7, because the software I use runs on a Win platform. I had originally loaded it with 32bit, because I was only running 4g RAM. So when I upgraded to 8G, I had to reload to Win7 64. I then decided to remove the CD drive, and install a solid state 115g.

I wanted bootcamp to run on the solid state. The problem was it was a HUGE pain to install on it. We had to install it on my main HD, then clone it over, and delete the right boot files, yada yada.

All that to ask my question.

Does anybody have any ideas how I can image my computer (or something) so I can reload easier if needed? I couldn't run Win7 from my external CD drive. It wasn't supported.

I would really like to avoid this huge hassle for reloads in the future. Any ideas?

Thanks,

John

riptideMBP

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2011
I'm not really sure what you mean by reloading, but if you mean backing up your windows 7 installation, there's a utility called winclone that works pretty well.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Winclone works fine. You need to set the format to DMG and turn off compression for it to work on OS X 10.6 and with Windows 7 though.

W7 also has its own imaging software provided, though I have not tried restoring from it on any of my Macs.

B

John336

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2011
Thank you for the replies.

tiptide, basically I am simply trying to figure out a way to be able to image my operating system, so I don't have to go through the hassle of the entire reload process again. Thanks for the suggestion on Winclone. I will look into that.

B, I have been using Win backup. I will try that. However, I am not sure how that would work restoring it from an external hard drive. I will check it out.

Any other advice or ideas?

Thanks,

J

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

You could always go old school and use dd from within Terminal.app. Guaranteed bitwise clone.

;)

B

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.